A good name (potential team names for Seattle expansion)

notfondajane

9 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I was thinking that a good name for the Seattle franchise could be the Americans? 

would their farm team be located in Rochester ?

No thanks to that one.

There's tech, there used to be jets, there is native American lore, there's Puget sound /ocean there's rainforest. Lots of ideas for names from the region.

Recycling an AHL name doesn't seem too progressive IMO.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

No thanks to that one.

There's tech, there used to be jets, there is native American lore, there's Puget sound /ocean there's rainforest. Lots of ideas for names from the region.

If I'm not mistaking there was a team called The New York Americans. 

I was thinking that this would be interesting to have the Americans and Canadians playing against each other, other than the Olympics.

30 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

No thanks to that one.

Absolutely agree with @mojo1917 on this one.  Plus, in recent years, the AHL has tried to make an honest attempt to have the AHL team close to the NHL team.  Rochester will not cut it on this one...sorry....

2 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

If I'm not mistaking there was a team called The New York Americans. 

I was thinking that this would be interesting to have the Americans and Canadians playing against each other, other than the Olympics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Americans

The New York Americans, colloquially known as the Amerks, were a professional ice hockey team based in New York City, New York from 1925 to 1942. They were the third expansion team in the history of the National Hockey League (NHL) and the second to play in the United States. The team never won the Stanley Cup, but reached the semifinals twice. While it was the first team in New York City, it was eclipsed by the second, the New York Rangers, which arrived in 1926 under the ownership of the Amerks' landlord, Madison Square Garden. The team operated as the Brooklyn Americans during the 1941–42 season before suspending operations in 1942 due to World War II and long-standing financial difficulties. The demise of the club marked the beginning of the NHL's Original Six era from 1942 to 1967, though the Amerks' franchise was not formally canceled until 1946.

The team's overall regular season record was 255–402–127.

• Like 1

FYI ...unconfirmed reports here ...... (from January 2020)

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/more/lets-get-kraken-seattles-nhl-team-might-have-name

It’s time to unleash the Kraken.

According to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor, a name has allegedly been decided for the NHL’s 32nd franchise team: The Seattle Kraken.

“From everything that I’ve heard, it looks like Seattle Kraken is going to be the name,” Hoven said on NHL Network Radio."I was a little bit in shock personally, just because we had been told several times previously that was not the name that they were going for. It looked like they were leaning toward Sockeyes.”

Hoven said he initially thought the franchise was leaning toward the Sockeyes, but it has since come out that there is a sexy, contemporary, new adult, sports romance series called Seattle Sockeyes already. The interesting twist is the plot of the book series, written by USA Today bestselling author Jami Davenport, is about a billionaire determined to bring professional hockey to Seattle.

NHL Seattle released a statement via Twitter on Wednesday addressing the rumors: 

While we’re aware of some fishy rumors surrounding our team name, please rest assured we’re doing our due diligence by scouring the depths of the ocean, the tallest mountains, and the densest parts of the forest to find the right name for our great, green city.

— NHL Seattle (@NHLSeattle_) January 29, 2020

People on Twitter certainly had mixed reactions to the reported name, but the NHL Seattle franchise is not confirming the name...yet. 

From March 19, 2020https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/03/seattle-delays-the-reveal-of-team-name-and-logo.html - 

Hockey fans desperate for news amidst the Coronavirus shutdown would have been ecstatic to find out the name of the new NHL expansion team in Seattle, which had been planned for release this month. However, they will have to wait a while longer. Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke released a statement today which included that the group has decided to relay the reveal of their name and brand. Those eager to see the logo and colors of the NHL’s 2021-22 entry will have to continue to be patient.

.....There are thought to be as many as a dozen possible names for the expansion franchise, with Kraken emerging as a fan favorite. Other possibilities include Sockeyes, Totems, Rainiers, Emeralds, Evergreens, Sea Lions, and Seals. Whatever the choice is, the group has kept it close to the chest as there has been nothing concrete to point toward any of those possible monikers nor a potential color scheme.

I thought insiders say it's Kraken.....but I may be wrong. Emeralds, Thunderbirds, Totems are others I've heard. Yes and Metropolitans. Coffee: Grinders or Java, both too corny.....Seattle Storm? Hurricanes have weather covered I suppose.....

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

How about the Seattle Skedaddles?   lol

(Google it.)

depart quickly or hurriedly; run away.
"when he saw us, he skedaddled"

;) 

So like an idiot I did...and this is what I found...Addled Seattle Skedaddles From Boozy Juicy Tweaky Drinkies

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

So like an idiot I did...and this is what I found...Addled Seattle Skedaddles From Boozy Juicy Tweaky Drinkies

It's the end times for sure, in case there was any lingering doubt. How goes it brother? Hanging in there? 

37 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It's the end times for sure, in case there was any lingering doubt. How goes it brother? Hanging in there? 

Holy @#$% Pods am I bored. I had a 4 day weekend last...and I thought it would never end! First time EVER in my life I wanted it to.

How about yourself? Everyone good?

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Holy @#$% Pods am I bored. I had a 4 day weekend last...and I thought it would never end! First time EVER in my life I wanted it to.

How about yourself? Everyone good?

Yuppers.

Working from home, probably more productive than ever if I'm honest. Part of that is strategy: when this is over my employer is gonna be hard-pressed to tell me I have to be in the office 40 hours a week. But today is Friday (I think), and the sun is out over Winterpeg, so thinking it's prolly close to beer o'clock. Almost is where you are.

Glad you're alright, if a little bored. No beer league hockey obviously eh? I'm thinking of coming out of retirement. I've been running again, try to get into some kind of shape that isn't pear-shaped.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yuppers.

Working from home, probably more productive than ever if I'm honest. Part of that is strategy: when this is over my employer is gonna be hard-pressed to tell me I have to be in the office 40 hours a week. But today is Friday (I think), and the sun is out over Winterpeg, so thinking it's prolly close to beer o'clock. Almost is where you are.

Glad you're alright, if a little bored. No beer league hockey obviously eh? I'm thinking of coming out of retirement. I've been running again, try to get into some kind of shape that isn't pear-shaped.

Lol...I messed up my knee last year and couldn't play. Started back and felt great...then boom! No more hockey. No more anything. 

Oh well, I've still got my looks.  image.jpeg.762a2214f0a34292205b01768e5f8424.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...