Best Left Wingers, Post-Expansion

ruxpin

So, this was posted on ESPN, but I thought it might be something to post here to discuss.  I won't post the article--just the link--but I'll list the rankings.

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-nhl-power-rankings-top-left-wings/c-316772536?tid=278386388

Super 16: Ovechkin, Robitaille best left wings in expansion era

1.  Alex Ovechkin

2.  Luc Robitaille

3.  Brendan Shanahan

4.  Bobby Hull

5.  Michel Goulet

6.  Dave Andreychuk

7.  Paul Kariya

8.  Keith Tkachuk

9.  Frank Mahovlich

10.  Daniel Sedin

11.  Johnny Bucyk

12.  Ilya Kovalchuk

13.  Steve Shutt

14.  Bill Barber

15.  John LeClair

16.  Bob Gainey

Individual ballots are shown at the end of the article as well as "others receiving points."

Edited by ruxpin

I think maybe I'm overrating Shanahan, but he goes ahead of Robataile for me.

Some of the individual ballots flip-flop Hull and Robitaille with Shanahan remaining 3rd, so listing Shanahan above Robitaille might not be absurd.   I get the argument for placing Hull ahead of both Robie and Shanny, so I'm okay with that, but I just put Shanahan before Robitaille either way.   But it's possible I just got to see more of Shanahan.   It's also possible it's due to Shanahan's contributions on more cup winners. 

The rest of the list I'm pretty much okay with.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I think maybe I'm overrating Shanahan, but he goes ahead of Robataile for me.

Some of the individual ballots flip-flop Hull and Robitaille with Shanahan remaining 3rd, so listing Shanahan above Robitaille might not be absurd.   I get the argument for placing Hull ahead of both Robie and Shanny, so I'm okay with that, but I just put Shanahan before Robitaille either way.   But it's possible I just got to see more of Shanahan.   It's also possible it's due to Shanahan's contributions on more cup winners. 

The rest of the list I'm pretty much okay with.

2001-02 Wings had Shanahan, Hull and Robitaille on the wing all at the same time. Just wow, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th all time on your list all on the same team at the same time. 

I always considered Shanny more of a RW, he played on the right side about half of the time and most of his career in Detroit, so i have a hard time ranking him on these He is an all time favorite of mine.

My top ten:

1)Ovie

2)The Golden Brett

3) Shanny if you consider him a LW

4) Robitaille

5)Sedin

6)Shutt

7)Gainey 

8)Goulet

9)Andreychuk

10)Tkachuk

I always felt Kariya was extremely overrated and had a short career, brilliant but only for a moment. I rank Sedin a bit higher than most do, mostly because he played in a dead puck era. Gainey was such a special player as the premier defensive forward not only of his time but arguably of all time.

Great list.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

1)Ovie

2)The Golden Brett

3) Shanny if you consider him a LW

4) Robitaille

5)Sedin

6)Shutt

7)Gainey 

8)Goulet

9)Andreychuk

10)Tkachuk

Your top 4 match mine.   You are definitely higher on Sedin than I am, but I'm okay with him in top 10.  I'm higher on Kariya than you, but I'm not offended by his omission.   I have to agree about Gainey if we're not simply using stats as the criteria.   He almost didn't make ESPN's list, which I think would have been a travesty.

I'm not sure where I'd put Mahovlich.   Probably just off of the top 10.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I'm going with Trotsky. Not a man without flaws, but a decent left winger. Don't @ me. 

He couldnt even beat out his own teammate  Joe S. for first team and ended up bouncing around in later years. Peak years? Sure as good as it got, but no staying power.

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

He couldnt even beat out his own teammate  Joe S. for first team and ended up bouncing around in later years. Peak years? Sure as good as it got, but no staying power.

'LOL, that's true, not necessarily for lack of trying, but too late for sure. They all made the mistake of underestimating JS because he was, at root, just a thug.

Ok, back to regular programming. Watch out for ice picks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Gillies is someone who seldom gets mentioned anymore but was part of a HOFER line and the definition of rugged. Imho he belongs in the conversation.

I swear to God I was thinking of him when I read the article. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I know I'm a Flyer fan....but where's Propp?  There's no way there's 16 LWers post expansion better than him.

He was in the "received votes" thing at the end.  

• 2 months later...