NHL considering resuming the season with 24 team playoff

yave1964

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

With no fans, home ice advantage basically comes down to familiarity with the ice surface...ie quirky tendencies in regards to pucks coming off the boards differently in certain spots...that kinda thing.

Yep. 

So basically very little. The place where home ice could really play a part, at least at first, is Denver. 

I'm not disregarding the quirk altogether. It plays its part.  Ultimately, I don't think it alters all that much, though. Maybe it two teams are even in every other way. I still think it the arena is completely empty, the game might as well be played in Guam. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, radoran said:

This just gets dumber and dumber the more we learn about it.

My thoughts exactly. If there aren't any fans allowed in the arena then there won't be any intensity or enthusiasm on the part of the players. How could there be? They would just be going through the motions as if it were a practice. 

My understanding was that things would be back to normal again by the time this playoff took place. 

2 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Playing in empty arenas will give an unacceptable advantage to the Panthers who will feel at home regardless to the hub city they're playing in.

That's close to what I said to my wife several weeks ago: "The Panthers have a big advantage. Their fans have been distant for years now."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

My understanding was that things would be back to normal again by the time this playoff took place. 

There was really no chance that that was ever going to be the case.

There will not be 10-20,000 people in an enclosed space for a while to go - Broadway is closed down through at least September, for example.

• Sad 1

The reason they are not going to call the season is because everyone expects the virus to spike again in the winter, so it is likely the 2020-2021 season would be suspended/cancelled as well.  Everyone willing to give up hockey until Fall of 2021 (at the earliest)?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, radoran said:

There was really no chance that that was ever going to be the case.

There will not be 10-20,000 people in an enclosed space for a while to go - Broadway is closed down through at least September, for example.

This is literally the worst possible timing for Leafs fans. (Minor selfish Toronto moment coming up.) 🙄

It's the first time in 15 years that the Leafs have had an exciting young core of elite players hitting their peak. Actually, scratch that! It's the first time in FRANCHISE HISTORY that the Leafs have had an exciting YOUNG core group of players on the verge of winning a Stanley Cup. While it may seem like the Leafs were "down and out" with only 81 points, they had a sh_t ton of injury problems to key players all season that held them back and they were still a top 3 team in their division.

The Leafs were entering this playoff as a dark horse team that was just getting healthy at the right time. They could have done major damage in these playoffs, especially since they weren't going to face Boston in round one this time. They were at the same point in their rebuild that Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and others have been in recent years.... just on the cusp of winning the big one.

I know Philly had a good team too this year blah blah blah, Philly always has a good team, so you don't lose any sleep over this season being wiped out or the next 20 seasons being wiped out, because the Flyers will be a top team if/when hockey resumes... immediately. The Leafs are a franchise that has to pick their spots. They suck for decades at a time and then occasionally emerge to be relevant. This was their time to be relevant. This was their window. Now it's about to be gone and that sucks. The salary cap will tear apart the core of the team (or kill off all the depth players needed to win), and they'll fade away to the bottom of the standings again for another 15 years........ and I'm sure none of THOSE years will get interrupted by any pandemics, so Leafs fans will have to suffer through them in their entirety. 

:notfair:

If you look at the last time the NHL lost its playoffs (the lockout), Toronto had a top team back then too. They were one of the best teams in the East in 2004 going into the season that never was. Coming out of the lockout, it was all gone. 

(End selfish Leafs fan rant moment.)  

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Flyers haven't won a playoff round for seven years.

True story.

The Leafs haven't won a playoff round in 16 years lol.  Not since 2004 (I think)....    :thinking:

I can't remember if they ran into the Flyers in round one or two that year.  (The 2003-04 season.)  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

11 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Leafs haven't won a playoff round in 16 years lol.  Not since 2004 (I think)....    :thinking:

I can't remember if they ran into the Flyers in round one or two that year.  (The 2003-04 season.)  

Honestly, nobody bases their degree of success against the Leafs.

It's like basing whether you car moves on four tires vs. a car with no wheels up on blocks.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, radoran said:

Playing to almost dead silence in an empty arena?

So they are playing the games in Florida, Jersey and Arizona it like nothing ever changed...

• Haha 1

The further the start of this tournament gets pushed toward autumn the less I like the idea it.

I was excited by the idea of a summer of hockey.  I don't see how that is safely realized though. 

I think if they're starting August 1 that's too late and the idea needs scrapped.

I don't see how the 20-21 season doesn't get  compromised as well if this season doesn't end until late September early October. 

TV checks be damned it's not worth potentially ruining 2 seasons over.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The further the start of this tournament gets pushed toward autumn the less I like the idea it.

I was excited by the idea of a summer of hockey.  I don't see how that is safely realized though. 

I think if they're starting August 1 that's too late and the idea needs scrapped.

I don't see how the 20-21 season doesn't get  compromised as well if this season doesn't end until late September early October. 

This is all I'm saying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

So you want them to give up on the playoffs and come back in September to do what?  Play the beginning of another season only to have it cancelled again before the playoffs?  I'm not sure I understand the alternative everyone is proposing.

They might (a big might) have enough time to fit in four rounds of playoffs before everything shuts down again.  I guess I am ok with that or at least realize that it is going to happen regardless of whether I am ok or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

So you want them to give up on the playoffs and come back in September to do what?  Play the beginning of another season only to have it cancelled again before the playoffs?  I'm not sure I understand the alternative everyone is proposing.

They might (a big might) have enough time to fit in four rounds of playoffs before everything shuts down again.  I guess I am ok with that or at least realize that it is going to happen regardless of whether I am ok or not.

You know, I don't know.

I can't see the future. I have faith there will be a vaccine and more will be learned about the virus though.

These set-backs are temporary.  

I think the longer the start is delayed the higher the chance that the next season is impacted negatively also.

The alternate would be to scrap play until it can resume safely and somewhat normally. 

Right now nothing in life feels right.  hell even going to the beach is an outbreak waiting to happen if people aren't very careful.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

count me here too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'm not sure I understand the alternative everyone is proposing.

I cannot begin to understand why not.

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Play the beginning of another season only to have it cancelled again before the playoffs? 

Maybe if one mistakenly believes this is actually the alternative.   The alternative is delaying the start of next season until it's safe for cities to resume holding such events.  Probably late December or January 1.   And getting a shortened season in culminated by an actual playoffs with sensible structure and rules.   Not some half-assed, half-brained idiotic horse crap like they've done in which every single person with a working brain stem understands the plan has zero to do with hockey, zero to do with fans, zero to do with sports and 100% to do with a money grab and to hell with everything else.

Bleck.   I've waited to be at another parade since I was at the 1975 parade.   Win or lose this idiotic intramural practice-session tournament, I'll continue to wait.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

I am fully on board with canceling the playoffs this season.  It is probably not going to happen.  But I also believe when the pandemic comes back worse this fall, a shortened season starting in December or January won't be an option.  So see you in fall of 2021 (maybe).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I am fully on board with canceling the playoffs this season.  It is probably not going to happen.  But I also believe when the pandemic comes back worse this fall, a shortened season starting in December or January won't be an option.  So see you in fall of 2021 (maybe).

You're not wrong to think this way.

There seems to be zero "for certains" anymore. 

• Like 1

I've thought the same. Minneapolis-St. Paul one metro area but Wild play on the east side of the Mississippi at XCel Energy Center in downtown St. Paul. But yeah, hotels on both sides of the river would be required to host the event. National Guard called in and cleared streets last night. I am a former guardsman but only call ups were for floods, not for this kind of sh*#show....

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 2:46 PM, mojo1917 said:

There seems to be zero "for certains" anymore.

I certainly love sheep! 

More than ever to be honest, what with the state of the humans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

On 5/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, radoran said:

Even beer league teams have some fans. Heck, at most practices there are more than a few people standing around.

Playing to almost dead silence in an empty arena? How does that even work?

I'm betting we get piped in "crowd noise" and chants.

What they won't have is what they should have: a laugh track.

:hocky:

I can vouch for this....we have A fan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2020 at 11:57 AM, mojo1917 said:

I can't see the future. I have faith there will be a vaccine and more will be learned about the virus though.

These set-backs are temporary.  

I think the longer the start is delayed the higher the chance that the next season is impacted negatively also.

The alternate would be to scrap play until it can resume safely and somewhat normally. 

Right now nothing in life feels right.  hell even going to the beach is an outbreak waiting to happen if people aren't very careful.

Everything will be fine in the future, especially after this fall. Next virus waves of Covid will be weaker and weaker.  Even carrying the masks in our life feels not right at this time of the year, because are giving us already hypoxic feelings. Unfortunately, we have much much higher mortality every day because of cancer, strokes, myocardial infractions and etc. than against coronavirus infection.

• Like 1