NHL considering resuming the season with 24 team playoff

yave1964

6 hours ago, radoran said:

Stop comparing apples to hockey pucks.

Why, back in the yesterdays of old we used rotten apples for pucks, when a cow turd wasn't available. I don't see what all the fuss is about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Why, back in the yesterdays of old we used rotten apples for pucks, when a cow turd wasn't available. I don't see what all the fuss is about. 

Then you clearly are immune :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

On 6/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, radoran said:

Strokes killed about 140,000 in the US last year. COVID-19 has killed nearly 120,000 since February while we have experienced some of the most serious lockdowns ever experienced to mitigate the spread of the disease.

There were 1.7 million new cases of cancer diagnosed in the US last year. There have been 2.1M new cases of COVID-19 since February. And the 18,000 new cases diagnosed yesterday are about the same as they were a month ago.

And you do, of course, realize that strokes, heart disease, and cancer are not spread via the air, nor from people who are showing no signs of infection, right?

In fact, they aren't spread from person to person at all.  Stop comparing apples to hockey pucks.

This is a serious disease that isn't "going away when it's warm". Alabama had the highest number of cases ever two days ago and was about 20 below their previous high yesterday. Oklahoma has had three of it's highest number of cases in the past four days. Florida has also spiked. Texas continues to trend up.

We have "flattened the curve" but it's also no longer a "curve" as much as a "plateau" nationally.

Read my second message on page 2 posted on May,22 at this thread.  After more than a month since I posted it, I still have the same opinion by working at 7 hospitals. Nothing changed in a last month. Real mortality from COVID divide on 10 (it means we should have now about 12,000 instead of 120,000). An average stats after the postmortem anatomical section from COVID are  about 5,000  per 130-150 million of population. We do not do that for every case, probably, only 20% sections. The rest of the patients died from other causes - cancer, strokes, acute or chronic cardiac failure, other severe infections, old age combined with chronic diseases , and etc. 

Optimistic medical news that besides serum antibodies responsible for the immunity against of COVID infection, our body developing a memory in our cellular immunity(in T-lymphocytes), which confirming the next COVID infections(this fall;next spring and etc.) for the most population will be not as harmful similar like to a simple non complicated  cold/flu. We should not be concerned about the next waves of this infection during the next couple years. In my opinion, test for antibodies is more important(do not listen others) than the test for COVID-19 itself (Mayo clinic and U of MN doing pretty good job in that direction), because it is able to show the early stage of COVID (by developing initial antibodies Ig M)as well as stable immunity to it (by developing antibodies Ig G).By testing only COVID-19, even negative test could be positive(15-20% are false negative tests). And also it does not mean a lot because we could get a virus infection right away as soon as we had a contact with a person having coronavirus infection after we had results of a negative test. A COVID-19 is a new respiratory virus  and is not a simple one. Usually it takes about 5-6 weeks for a complete full recovery in comparison to 2 weeks for a flu infection in a non complicated cases, but it is a treatable viral respiratory infection. In a couple years it will be much weaker than this spring.  

Like I said before, usually, most viral respiratory infections are transforming from acute phase(disease) into the latent non-virulent forms during June,July, August and, in my opinion, most restrictions should be taken away now. It makes no sense(no reason) to have any restrictions when next to us Wisconsin stopped  4 weeks ago(May 13th) practically any quarantine. It was their very smart decision to get more immune when the viral respiratory infection is dropping its virulence for our area in June - August. Believe it or not any spikes of that infection at this time of the year are beneficial, because the virulence, according to recent good news, dropped 10 times down already. But the sad news,(is my concern now) is after listening 2 days ago a huge recent immunity research on 450 thousands population, that we have got only about 14% of immunity, because we are staying too long in a home isolation and not building real antibodies (Ig G) in our body.That number is too low . It should be at least 40-50% by that time, but the best number should be up to 70%.

Here is a link to read an article about it. Please, look also for an interesting table in that article"  How Wisconsin is moving ".And their mortality after COVID is almost twice lower than we do have now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/20/wisconsin-reopening-decision-boosts-bars-many-people-still-quarantine/5231302002/

My co-worker who lives in Hudson, WI said to me, that "Minnesotans flooded all bars and restaurants there"  and already are helping Wisconsin state in improving their economy. 

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I like that they picked two Canadian cities since COVID-19 is ~250 new cases per day in Canada and ~40,000 new cases per day in the United States. It's just plain safer to do this here.  :) 

They should just shut this stuff down.

No sense in risking the lives they are putting at risk for a frigging game.

Very sad.

A perfect example for anyone wondering money rules this world when you put economics over safety.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They should just shut this stuff down.

No sense in risking the lives they are putting at risk for a frigging game.

Very sad.

A perfect example for anyone wondering money rules this world when you put economics over safety.

I mentioned this previously but I think it's important that the NHL finish the current season given the uncertainty over next season. Losing two playoffs back to back is not something to be sneezed at (bad pun).  

In many ways this is like a trial run to see if the league can start back up again for next season. If this 24-team playoff fails (ie: if they cannot complete it due to COVID-19), next season will be cancelled altogether without any hesitation. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Losing two playoffs back to back is not something to be sneezed at (bad pun).

Well by helping it spread more there certainly won't be a season next year.

Should have called it quits and then try and start a season in January of 2021. 

Then it would have maybe had a chance to die down some but these what we are seeing now is not it is too soon to try and get back to a semblance of a normal life.

Until it is in a rapid decline everywhere then should maintained what they were doing.

I think we're f**ked now of that happening...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Then it would have maybe had a chance to die down some but these what we are seeing now is not it is too soon to try and get back to a semblance of a normal life.

Until it is in a rapid decline everywhere then should maintained what they were doing.

I think we're f**ked now of that happening...

I don't know if they should hold the playoffs. Generally, my thinking was no. Either way, it's pretty fair to point out the differences between things in the US and Canada:

image.png

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I don't know if they should hold the playoffs. Generally, my thinking was no. Either way, it's pretty fair to point out the differences between things in the US and Canada:

image.png

Sure, so you want all these players from the US to come up there and help raise your curve?

I'm sure that would be a no.

So they should do the right thing and call it off.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure, so you want all these players from the US to come up there and help raise your curve?

I'm sure that would be a no.

So they should do the right thing and call it off.

... I *did* say my thinking was that they ought not to do the playoffs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

How is this helping it spread though?  NHL players have virtually no contact with the outside world.  This isn't like a plane full of Chinese passengers coming from Wuhan and be dumped directly into the teeming masses in the largest cities in North America. 

This is ~400 of the healthiest young people in the world, who live apart from the rest of society, and who you will never see in your everyday travels. They can only infect each other, not anyone else, and if they're isolated during these playoffs and none of them have it, then none of them should be able to catch it either.  The NHL is going to put effectively put them in a bubble.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What will be different in January 2021?  My guess is nothing. 

This playoff is the NHL's way of seeing if they can play a season in 2021 with COVID-19. If they didn't hold this playoff now, then the experiment would be the beginning of the 2021 season.... and if that flopped, they would be forced to cancel a season maybe 12 games in. Imagine the fallout from that...  especially after already losing the previous season. 

The NHL has nothing to lose by doing these playoffs. 

To add a bit of nonsense to this circus, the #1 overall pick will go to one of the qualification round loser with equivalent odds (12.5%). The Dead Wings got screwed by dropping 3 spots down.

Theoretically, Lafrenière could end up in Pittsburgh or Edmonton (imagine the ridiculous offense the Oilers might have, if Lafrenière confirms his skills and potential at the higher level).

• Like 2

Cool, the schedule is finally out so we could play here the real guessing game:

When will be the first Covid-19 positive test occur ?

Who will be the positive player ?

What will be the first team to be quarantined ?

When will this sh!t be paused again ?

When will the 2020-2021 season be definitively cancelled ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Cool, the schedule is finally out so we could play here the real guessing game:

When will be the first Covid-19 positive test occur ?

Who will be the positive player ?

What will be the first team to be quarantined ?

When will this sh!t be paused again ?

When will the 2020-2021 season be definitively cancelled ? 

Am I the only person on this forum who wants to see hockey?

Here's some questions we can guess at:

• When will people stop b_tching about the fact that the NHL is going to have playoffs this season?
  • What will people say when the playoffs are completed without any issues and everyone goes home happy?
  • When will the Minnesota Wild franchise actually give their fans something to cheer about?

All of the pro sports leagues want to be playing right now. This isn't an "NHL thing" or a "Bettman" thing. It's a "BUSINESS" thing. You know, that desire not to lose billions of dollars in revenue? Every business is trying to find ways to make it work right now with COVID-19. No business just gives up and rolls over. Even restaurants switched to a take-out model to remain open during the pandemic. 

Some people may want the entire world to close down so they can sit at home in the dark with their mask on for the next five years (or however long it takes for a vaccine) but that's not MOST people. Most people keep on moving. Their world doesn't end just because of a stupid virus. 

50 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

When will people stop b_tching about the fact that the NHL is going to have playoffs this season?

when you stop whining about pro-rating Mathews stats for this past year....

I'm on record stating that they should not be having NHL playoffs this late into summer.  I strongly disagree with that decision.  You can disagree with me all you want but health and safety is greater than hockey which is entertainment.  At least the NHL did the right thing by not allowing fans to be in attendance.

@WordsOfWisdom

Don't get me wrong, I agree mostly with your previous post. It's not that I don't want to see hockey, it's hockey in August, in the middle of summer vacations and with this format, I am more like "meh...". Hard to jump suddenly into it.

But I forgot to mention, I'll be faithful to myself, be a dirty ol' beyotch sold to the devil sitting on my principles and watch this thing as soon as it starts.

• Like 3