NHL considering resuming the season with 24 team playoff

yave1964

Just ridiculous.

As hardcore a hockey fan as I am, I can honestly say that I have no interest in watching a makeshift, rag tag, sideshow format slapped together.....and then have them play "competitive" hockey to find out who the pseudo best of the best is this season.
Any momentum, positive mindsets, and gearing up for the post season that was built up by the top teams is gone. Just gone.

And those teams who were already planning for the draft and looking to better themselves over the summer, now would have a golden opportunity to win, with no fear of failure because, by all rights, they shouldn't even BE there.

So right there, to me, that penalizes the teams that busted their arses to get to where they got, who played through injuries because their team IS in the playoff picture (face it, teams that are eliminated have more players going to IR due to having nothing to play for), and rewards teams that weren't doing anything but playing out the string.

With a format like this, and given the circumstances, you could put a sorry team like the Red Wings, Senators, or Kings in there, and they'd have just as equal a shot to win it all than a team like Boston, St. Louis, Washington or Tampa Bay.

Of course, the Wings, Sens, or Kings WON'T be in there, but we will get worse...much worse.
We will have the professional medicores like Minnesota, Montreal, and Arizona getting in with a chance to win.

"Ladies and gentlemen, your NEW 2019-20 Mediocre Champions....the MINNESOTA WILD! And their Conn Smythe winner....Aleeeexxxx Staaaaaloooccckkkkkk".
Yea, exactly. And hey, it COULD happen. 
This proposed restart and format is just begging for it to happen.

If the NHL wants to finish out this season and do a playoffs, fine...then they should do what the rest of us who are working or home schooling our kids are doing:  Go on Zoom, WebEx, or whatever other business/social virtual platform is out there, and have players scream out what plays they would be making, while others scream out how they would defend it.

Then, have us fans invited to the Zoom/WebEx meeting, so we could cheer everyone on..... in virtual safety, naturally.

Because at least this way, I would actually participate, because it would give the absurdity of it all some meaning, and would also entertain me.
Also, this would be about as fair and competitive as anything I would be seeing in a haphazard format.

I will renew my interest in the NHL when things (if they do) return to normal in October.

In the meantime, if the NHL insists on doing what they are proposing, I won't be giving a damned about who wins, who loses, or even "peek in" on games, as to me, it is all a farce and any winner, ANY WINNER, whether it be a bottom feeder like the Rangers or Coyotes...or a top level team like the Bruins or Lightning (yea...really won't even care if my beloved Bolts win or lose here)...they will and SHOULD have an asterisk the size of Alaska emblazoned on any banner they raised:  You didn't really win the playoffs....you won the lottery. 

This will all be one giant "exhibition season" from here on out.....and as anyone who knows me knows...I don't pay much attention to exhibition games.
When the NHL is ready to play real games, I will come back to them. 

For now, many of us fans have other pressing matters that need attending to.......and hopefully, we can achieve things with more common sense than the NHL is showing...

• Like 2

The other dynamic here is talk of expanded rosters. You have Minnesota talking about signing Kiprosov while other clubs I assume could bring in the cream of the NCAA. Meanwhile no AHL playoffs. Lineups could be vastly different from those that existed pre-pandemic. Stalock as playoff MVP! Crazy approach to crazy times leads to crazy results. 

21 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Anyway, it looks like the playoffs will look something like this. Personally 24 teams is too many to be in the playoffs, but eh, seems like that's what's going to happen

NHL-playoff-tournament-2020.jpeg

This was just the excuse the NHL was looking for to change the playoff format. If they do this now, it'll be a permanent change going forward. They've wanted this for years and it sucks. NHL regular season = worthless waste of time. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

37 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This was just the excuse the NHL was looking for to change the playoff format. If they do this now, it'll be a permanent change going forward. They've wanted this for years and it sucks. NHL regular season = worthless waste of time. 

My general stance is that when playoffs/finals have more than half the teams in it, it's not a good format, as teams that lost more games than they won will be able to get in. It's why I was looking forward to seattle joining as the 16 team format will finally be at the half team mark. Expanding to 24 is just absurd, like the local women's league which puts four of the five teams in the finals. 

Edited by Puck_Pun
  • Like 2

So one of my biggest concerns is how this is going to affect the 2020-21 season??

If they can in July no way they plan to start a new season come October.........right???

I mean damn the NHL season is already the longest of all the sports.

I am worried about the injuries that will happen to key players.

Oh well looks like they have their minds made up on having sloppy hockey....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

My general stance is that when playoffs/finals have more than half the teams in it, it's not a good format, as teams that lost more games than they won will be able to get in. It's why I was looking forward to seattle joining as the 16 team format will finally be at the half team mark. Expanding to 24 is just absurd, like the local women's league which puts four of the five teams in the finals. 

Yeah I've harped on that issue for years. The NHL sees only money. The NHL's "perfect" playoffs is five rounds with all 32 teams and every series is a best-of-11. Teams that lose in a playoff round would go into a relegation round where they have a chance to play themselves back in. That way, nobody ever loses! The Stanley Cup winner is the team that still shows up to play and feigns interest after six grueling months of playoff hockey with not one team officially eliminated yet.  

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So one of my biggest concerns is how this is going to affect the 2020-21 season??

There won't be one. Just watch. It'll get cancelled. Even if they drop the puck as per usual in October, COVID-19 will resurface again as people move back indoors to the pubs, arenas, schools, etc....  and it'll wipe it out.  

On 5/24/2020 at 10:09 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

For once I agree with you...... Just say NO to this side show circus act known as the proposed NHL playoff format.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:32 AM, Puck_Pun said:

“The only problem I have with that format is that the top teams that have a bye, I don’t know how competitive their games will be,” he said. “Where the teams that are in the bottom will be playing playoff games straight away and potentially will be more prepared for once the real playoffs start after the play-in happens.”

Exactly! this is a great point!

• Like 1

Sloppy ugly hockey, i guess it is better than no hockey at all. I guess.

Here is a question for all fantasy players, what do we do now? @ruxpin was winning in nahana, i was winning in all star, do we figure out a way to continue through the playoffs or do we just call it? @jammer2 @pilldoc @TropicalFruitGirl26 @hf101 @J0e Th0rnton @Mad Dog @radoran @Pipers and more, i dont know if anyone has any ideas, or if it matters even.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Here is a question for all fantasy players, what do we do now? @ruxpin was winning in nahana, i was winning in all star, do we figure out a way to continue through the playoffs or do we just call it? @jammer2 @pilldoc @TropicalFruitGirl26 @hf101 @J0e Th0rnton @Mad Dog @radoran @Pipers and more, i dont know if anyone has any ideas, or if it matters even.

Not to derail this particular thread, but I was ok with just calling it and have teams finish the way they did for the regular season.
In fact, I thought this was settled already.

But if not, I would be ok with leaving the standings as the "finals", so whomever is in first, won in each league.

I kid you not, guys, when I say that this whole mess has taken away much of the passion and love I have for hockey, and a few other things.
Especially when there are about a thousand other things being impacted that require top priority.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not to derail this particular thread, but I was ok with just calling it and have teams finish the way they did for the regular season.

But if not, I would be ok with leaving the standings as the "finals", so whomever is in first, won in each league.

I kid you not, guys, when I say that this whole mess has taken away much of the passion and love I have for hockey, and a few other things.
Especially when there are about a thousand other things being impacted that require top priority.

Hang in there lady. 

Agreed, not trying to derail the thread at all, shoulda posted it elsewhere. No logical way to do fnatasy hockey that makes sense. Kind of like real hockey as well truthfully.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As the League Commish for the HF.net FHL I'm ok calling it.  We were in week 1 of the playoffs and based on the new format for playoffs; 6 teams vs 8 teams (last year) I have the GM's lined for next year for each league if they so choose to participate.  I was excited because both my teams in All Star and Conn Smythe had legit chances to make it to finals, but it is what it is.  Not worth trying to jerry rig a system if not all the teams are going to participate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I have **** all to do with it.

The monkeys at Yahoo! will make whatever decisions are made.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I have **** all to do with it.

The monkeys at Yahoo! will make whatever decisions are made.

Agreed.

I don't know how the fantasy league goes on, though, if the NHL goes straight to playoffs.  We don't play during regular playoffs any other year, largely because there's teams and, therefore, players missing.    That's a little different with this meshugganah, where even the California Golden Seals will get to play in, so still a lot more players than other years.

But really, I don't know how this continues, but the monkeys might find a way.

• Like 1

I actually think this first round bye week is a bad thing for the teams getting the bye....the advantage or supposed advantage in the NFL is to rest some of the players who are banged up.

Well hell everyone is pretty much rested after being off for two months so the team who win their first round match up have the advantage now by having had time to play to knock off the rust and get into better game shape.

So we may end up with a ****** Cup finals like Montreal vs. Chicago...

...yuck i just threw up in my mouth a little...Montreal finally wins a Cup since 1993...

• Like 2

I actually read the 14 page phase II plan online. What I can't find anywhere is the allowed playoff roster. Theoretically could apply to up to 50 players under contract. The document specifically mentions teams paying travel and accommodations for AHL players with NHL contracts. What's to stop teams who signed college players and other foreigners and free agents from bringing those guys into camp? Top teir teams may even cosse to field several vastly different lineups in the play in games. May not be practical to have overstuffed locker rooms and 10 or more black aces in the press box. The 23 player cap does it apply in playoffs. Unless someone else has heard a number, it appears to me that the league and players are, for lack of a better team name or word, winging it........can anyone enlighten us?

15 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Unless someone else has heard a number, it appears to me that the league and players are, for lack of a better team name or word, winging it........can anyone enlighten us?

You just described the entire history of the NHL. For a bunch of men who have made an awful lot of money in this world, they're about as impressive as a magician on the radio.

• Like 2

To the league's credit there are at least three women on the committee working on this, attorneys to both the league and players, in addition to at least one of the physicians consulting......

Edited by Icechipper

Just can not see any sane logic into trying to restart the season and go a (imo) needless and possible dangerous scenario just for the sake of crowning a Covid Cup Champion.

The saftey risk of the players and making a mockery of the greatest trophy in sports history just to (imo) gain back lost revenue is something i am simply 100% against....

Not sure how i would feel about the draft at this time, but that will have a way of working itself out...perhaps a draft based on current standings and a ping pong ball draft for those who were out of playoff contention...

• Like 2