NHL considering resuming the season with 24 team playoff

yave1964

5 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Hard to jump suddenly into it.

I understand it too and was against it coming back and was for just ending the season trying to to be selfish but for selfish reasons i don't have anything else much to watch and miss it so i will watch and root for the Flyers to win it all asterisk or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

when you stop whining about pro-rating Mathews stats for this past year....

I already pro-rated them. Matthews is the new single season goals record holder for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the first TML player to score 50 goals in a season since Dave Andreychuk did it (back in 1993 I think). People can put an asterisk on it if they want to, but he got there. He did it. 

There have been so many seasons in the NHL that have been cut short by labour shortages, now COVID-19, who knows what virus will come next, etc.... that I'm going to rewrite the rules when it comes to single season accomplishments so that we're analyzing the player's trajectory rather than the final number, and basing our records off of that. The more games played, the bigger the sample size, and the more reliable the data is.

So if you score 25 goals in a lockout shortened 41-game season, does that make you a 50-goal scorer? Maybe. But if you score 47 goals in 70 games of an 82-game season, and you played in every game that was possible, then you're definitely a 50-goal scorer. We can say that with 99% confidence. 

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I'm on record stating that they should not be having NHL playoffs this late into summer.  I strongly disagree with that decision.  You can disagree with me all you want but health and safety is greater than hockey which is entertainment.  At least the NHL did the right thing by not allowing fans to be in attendance

I don't see any health and safety risk to the players. They're in no more danger playing hockey than they are travelling around the world to exotic locations doing expensive hobbies. Those NHL arenas are going to be the most secure locations in the world as far as preventing COVID-19 is concerned.

I don't know how it will be without fans or whether I'll be able to get into it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.  :) 

Here is where i am at. For better or worse.

Man do i miss sports especially Hockey, God help me i plan on watching every minute of every game and every available second of recap and analysis that is available to me. Then i will hunt around on line for more.

Saying all that, i feel guilty that unlike some posters i get the risk involved with the players, I know that they may or may not be putting their lives on the line to entertain me and i hate myself for wanting hockey back so bad that I justify it in my mind with things like, 'they are getting tested more often than anyone in the world, they will be safe' or 'they are young enough even if they get it they will be fine' which makes me a giant douche but i am aware of my douchery and not hiding from it. I just want Hockey. I feel like a horses ass but i cannot brainwash myself into saying they are safe, i dont believe they are as safe as a lot of folks seem to think, so i am going to Hell because i am willing to place their potential safety and livelihood on the line so that i can be entertained.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

And no, the stats should not be prorated out that is arguably the dumbest thing i ever heard of in my life. That is like saying that Ryan Poehling who played in the final game of the 2018-19 season and in his NHL debut had a hat trick should be considered the greatest goal scorer of all time smashing Wayne's record because his 3 goals in 1 game would prorate out to 246 goals over the course of a season. Not trying to get something started in here but damn that is stupid. If you didnt do it on the ice you didnt do it. Period/

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

don't see any health and safety risk to the players. They're in no more danger playing hockey than they are travelling around the world to exotic locations doing expensive hobbies

hmmm tell that to the 35 NHL players who tested positive.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-says-35-players-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-since-june/

And 3 Canadien players who tested positive...

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/three-canadiens-players-have-reportedly-tested-positive-for-covid-19

also if it is so safe as you say then why are 3 players opting out in returning???  

it simply is not worth it... to think otherwise is absurdly naive and reckless.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

hmmm tell that to the 35 NHL players who tested positive.

So they must have contracted COVID-19 while not playing hockey correct?  

ie: They were out partying and drinking in a large group of people without wearing masks. Nobody has ever contracted COVID-19 while playing a hockey game.  

also if it is so safe as you say then why are 3 players opting out in returning???  

Why do people believe in UFOs?  The actions of 3 players out of 700 = nothing. It gets dismissed.

it simply is not worth it... to think otherwise is absurdly naive and reckless

I think it's worth a shot. The worst case scenario for the league and players is that someone gets COVID-19, spreads it to their teammates and everyone on the other team. An entire series is stalled/cancelled because 40 players are infected, and the league has to suspend and ultimately cancel the whole thing part way in.

Best case scenario is nobody gets infected while playing, and the playoffs run smoothly to completion.  :) 

I'll add an addendum here:

If the NHL can keep the players under lock and key, and play these playoffs in isolation, I think everything will be fine. If the worst should happen, and it has to be cancelled part-way through, then I think the league would also cancel the upcoming season immediately thereafter. That would be the armageddon scenario. IF that happens, you can say goodbye to everything you know about the NHL and its current group of players. After two years of inactivity, Sidney Crosby won't be Sidney Crosby any more. Ovechkin will have retired and/or will no longer be able to play the game. You'll have 700 players who can no longer play the game at the NHL pace any more, whose skills will have eroded/rusted/faded away, whose elite physical conditioning will be gone, and they'll get quickly replaced by young players when play resumes. You might see 400 new names in the league by the time play resumes. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

And no, the stats should not be prorated out that is arguably the dumbest thing i ever heard of in my life. That is like saying that Ryan Poehling who played in the final game of the 2018-19 season and in his NHL debut had a hat trick should be considered the greatest goal scorer of all time smashing Wayne's record because his 3 goals in 1 game would prorate out to 246 goals over the course of a season. Not trying to get something started in here but damn that is stupid. If you didnt do it on the ice you didnt do it. Period/

You completely misunderstand how pro-rating works.  

(Sorry, I had to use big text lol.)  ;) 

If you pro-rate Ryan Poehling's stats then he finishes with 1 GP.  He doesn't magically get 82 GP.  

There's a HUGE difference between playing in 70/70 GP for your team...... on track for 82/82 GP (the trajectory I spoke of earlier) versus a player who played in 1/82 GP for his team (the very last game)..... and therefore on track for 1/82 GP. 

Poehling's trajectory was 1 GP.

Matthew's trajectory was 82 GP.

You have to be able to see that.  

Pro-rating is not "how would this guy have done if we multiply his one game stats by 82 games".

Pro-rating is "how would this player have finished if the season had run to its scheduled conclusion".

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'll add an addendum here:

If the NHL can keep the players under lock and key, and play these playoffs in isolation, I think everything will be fine. If the worst should happen, and it has to be cancelled part-way through, then I think the league would also cancel the upcoming season immediately thereafter. That would be the armageddon scenario. IF that happens, you can say goodbye to everything you know about the NHL and its current group of players. After two years of inactivity, Sidney Crosby won't be Sidney Crosby any more. Ovechkin will have retired and/or will no longer be able to play the game. You'll have 700 players who can no longer play the game at the NHL pace any more, whose skills will have eroded/rusted/faded away, whose elite physical conditioning will be gone, and they'll get quickly replaced by young players when play resumes. You might see 400 new names in the league by the time play resumes. 

The league is talking about a fairly draconian lockdown for the players/teams, including large fines and the surrendering of draft picks if anybody on a team is caught breaking quarantine, so I would be a bit surprised if anything untoward happens. When I heard that the NHL was going to go on with the playoffs, my initial reaction was quite negative: I had an image of the league going on with business as usual.

The bubble is not perfect (like everything else) but it could work.

• Like 2

@yave1964

That was a great post.

I feel similarly, I know there is risk involved and I don't view pro athletes as gladiators whose purpose is to perish for my entertainment. I will not have a cross word for any player that decides the tournament isn't worth the risk. I'm glad the league is handling this they way they are. I've haven't been a big fan of NHL inc nor the NHLPA , I do think their spirit of cooperation through the pandemic has provided some hope.

There are countries that are resuming their day to day because they handled the pandemic effectively. Perhaps the NHL  manages to hold a successful event that can be a case study for how to manage the virus in North America

I welcome the distraction from President Crime and the Bunglers. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1