Flyers top goal scorer per 60 minutes this season

So take a guess who leads all Flyers in goals per 60 minutes played this season. I'll give you a hint...the pick has been ridiculed for years as a bad choice, yet it really wasn't. 

1. Scott Laughton: 1.245 goals per 60 minutes.
  2. Travis Konecny: 1.241.
  3. Oskar Lindblom: 1.152.
  4. James van Riemsdyk 1.107.
  5. Sean Couturier: 1.041.
  6. Kevin Hayes: 0.927.
  7. Nic Aube-Kubel: 0.809.
  8. Claude Giroux: 0.756.
  9. Derek Grant: 0.728.
  10. Tyler Pitlick: 0.696.

Laughton has had some problems staying healthy. But when he is healthy, he's really been a pretty damn good player. Not a star, but then you shouldn't really get them where he was picked anyway.

Plus this is better than staring at the wall.

• Like 2

So you're saying Laughton should be credited as the first 80-goal scorer in franchise history?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I've been critical of him but he has emerged as a solid 3C which is better than nothing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, radoran said:

So you're saying Laughton should be credited as the first 80-goal scorer in franchise history?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I've been critical of him but he has emerged as a solid 3C which is better than nothing.

He may not have got 80...but he was certainly good for 56.

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

Flyers seem to fire on all cylinders when Laughts is centering the 3rd line. Hopefully that does not change if and when Patrick comes back. Where do you put Patrick eventually. Top 2 C positions spoken for...and Patrick's first round status basically rules out a long term 4C designation...I'm pretty adamant about Laughts staying in the top 9 though...and FCs post punctuates this line of thinking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 12:48 PM, flyercanuck said:

Nic Aube-Kubel: 0.809.

Wow Nic 7th i hope you're happy you just caused some old lady to be shoved down an escalator in New Mexico by @CoachX with this post now he'll have to show up to tells us how useless NAK is....it's been awhile...

On 5/24/2020 at 8:38 PM, jammer2 said:

Where do you put Patrick eventually.

Flames are supposedly going to going all in on Taylor Hall and if that is the case they may be more inclined to move on from Johnny Gaudreau so i would try and dangle a package of Patrick, Raffl and Ghost to Calgary for him....of course the deal could/should be tweaked some.

Then i try and turn around and trade JVR another arguement or conversation for another time just more of a salary dump.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
13 Johnny Gaudreau - 12 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 49 Joel Farabee
38 Derek Grant - 48 Morgan Frost - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 59 Mark Friedman

55 Sam Morin

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Just let Braun walk. I think this is very doable. However i have to say i haven't crunched the numbers.

Not sure if anyone likes this but noticed i also switched the jersye numbers back for Johnny and Kevin when they were linemates.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 9:09 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Nic 7th i hope you're happy you just caused some old lady to be shoved down an escalator in New Mexico by @CoachX with this post now he'll have to show up to tells us how useless NAK is....it's been awhile...

NAK? pbbbbt! The love affair this forum and the Flyers has with this guy is mind boggling. He's an overrated 4th line grinder. He's Zac Rinaldo without the fight ability. I cant believe they give this guy ice time over a playmaker like Vorobyev. And now HE has no choice but to go to Russia. Its pure racism

NAK scored a nice goal once. Yay! But he forechecks like a marhmallow, is defensively irresponsible and a cancer in the room. 

Ugh! Im done. I cant take it anymore. I need to quarantine myself

Grant may be a great signing.  I hope we keep him next year.  That may change with playoffs. 

Pitlick is an interest case. He has size and is responsible defensively.  I wonder if he will be viewed as as expendable relative to other prospects?

On 7/8/2020 at 5:48 PM, CoachX said:

NAK? pbbbbt! The love affair this forum and the Flyers has with this guy is mind boggling. He's an overrated 4th line grinder. He's Zac Rinaldo without the fight ability. I cant believe they give this guy ice time over a playmaker like Vorobyev. And now HE has no choice but to go to Russia. Its pure racism

NAK scored a nice goal once. Yay! But he forechecks like a marhmallow, is defensively irresponsible and a cancer in the room. 

Ugh! Im done. I cant take it anymore. I need to quarantine myself

You're delusional bro...nothing marshmallowy about NAK besides your scouting of him...if anyone was a marshmellow it was Vorobyev it's why he could make it with the Flyers too soft and he could hang with the physicality and speed in the big boys game.

Good to see your hate for NAK has survived the covid pandemic....but don't take by biased opinion take some other that just fly in your face...

Today we will be looking at rookie Nicolas Aube-Kubel.

Destra

The 2019-20 season felt like the first time the Flyers were able to put their stacked pipeline to the test and it made the long wait worth it. Aube-Kubel, a second-round pick in the 2014 NHL draft, was finally given a legitimate shot with the club and he didn’t disappoint. 

He dressed for 36 games this season, collected 15 points along the way (seven goals, eight assists) and did so as a bottom-six forward. His numbers aren’t out of this world, but for a rookie to transition to the NHL as smoothly and confidently as he did, he elevated his game — and the team as a whole — from the jump. For years, creating depth on the roster has remained a consistent issue. So having a young, strong, smart forward in the mix, who is able to adapt to any situation thrown at him, makes for a promising future. 

Aube-Kubel has quickly become a reliable asset and will only continue to grow as his career progresses. He made his mark in only 36 games ... imagine what he will be capable of with the full 82.

Based on my personal expectations set when he was called up in December, I’d give him an A. 

Emmer

This is a young player that had his chances last season, but couldn’t exactly make that splash that would solidify a roster spot with the Flyers. This year, with the new coaching staff, he had another chance to showcase what he could bring to the table and he executed.

The Flyers' 2014 second-round pick knew he had a lot to prove when he got his call-up right before the holidays. In his first five games, Aube-Kubel recorded three points (one goal, two assists), was a plus-1 and generated 11 shots on goal. Following those five games, the winger continued to grow in the bottom six.

When you talk about how strong the Flyers depth at forward has been this season, NAK is a big reason for it. Though he could have added more in the final 13 games of the regular season, he still had some solid numbers (36 games, seven goals, eight assists). On top of that offensive depth, he also added physicality. Though you could argue dropping the gloves isn’t the biggest part of the game anymore, coaches still love to see that toughness. Aube-Kubel got into his fair share of scuffles. His 82 hits in 36 games isn’t something to overlook either. 

His 2019-20 regular-season performance is an easy A.

Hatcher

Last season, I remember a lot of people around the team talking about Aube-Kubel as a guy who needed to take that “next step” to be a consistent NHL guy. It seems under Alain Vigneault and the current Flyers coaching staff, he’s been able to do just that.

When NAK was called up midseason for depth following a string of injuries among the Flyers' forwards, Vigneault publicly said he believed he had all the raw materials to succeed at the NHL level — speed, ability, physicality. But, Vigneault thought Aube-Kubel needed to put it all together on a more consistent basis.

Well, once the Flyers hit their stride following the NHL All-Star break, it seems so did Aube-Kubel. Since Jan. 31, he recorded five goals, six assists and was a plus-7 in 19 games played. Of course, he recorded that Gordie Howe hat trick against the Capitals during that stretch as well. He’s really taken that “next step” to become a good depth piece for the team.

I’d give him an A for growth and surpassing certain expectations, but I think he’s still got quite a bit of room to grow as a player. So it’s a solid B/B+ for me right now.

Fordyce

When the Flyers penciled NAK into the lineup, I highly doubt they envisioned 15 points in 36 games. They likely expected bottom-six if not bottom-three minutes, sound defensive play and a guy who could fill out a lineup. Aube-Kubel far surpassed those expectations.

Aube-Kubel scored seven goals and registered eight assists, and within those seven goals, two of them were power play goals. This is a player who later in the season the Flyers could count on to be a swiss army knife — able to move up and down the lineup, play with different players, and even chip in on the power play if necessary. In my opinion, the road is paved for Aube-Kubel to, at minimum, be a bottom-six mainstay going forward with a potential ceiling much higher.

I’m going to give Aube-Kubel an A for this season.

Hall

In mid-December, Aube-Kubel was summoned by the banged-up Flyers out of sheer necessity and gave them every reason to keep him up the remainder of the season.

He made himself constantly noticeable with an energetic and opportunistic style. He was also eager for opportunity after a nine-game stint last season in which he played only 5:35 minutes per night.

This season through 36 games, the 24-year-old winger recorded seven goals and eight assists in 11:17 minutes per night, even earning power play time.

Vigneault strategically found good spots for Aube-Kubel, rewarding his strong play while effectively keeping him motivated. As a result, Aube-Kubel consistently provided his north-south effort and he made the Flyers better, as they went 24-11-2 since his call-up.

“I didn’t really know a lot about him,” Vigneault said in late February. “I saw him a little bit in training camp, we didn’t keep him obviously because we felt at the time there were some other players that were performing better. But ever since we’ve called him up, I think he’s felt better. In my sense, he’s improving. You see the speed, the size, the physicality, big body that can go in the tough areas. Can he put it all together and become an effective NHL player? Time will well. I do know in this span, so far for us, he’s been good and we need him to continue to be good.”

Let’s give Aube-Kubel a B+ for seizing opportunity with a positive 36-game body of work.

...i guess you'll not want to count their opinion for whatever reason you can dream up. End of the day he is a Flyer and earned his roster spot and you can't take that away no matter how hard you try.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You're delusional bro...nothing marshmallowy about NAK besides your scouting of him...if anyone was a marshmellow it was Vorobyev it's why he could make it with the Flyers too soft and he could hang with the physicality and speed in the big boys game.

Good to see your hate for NAK has survived the covid pandemic....but don't take by biased opinion take some other that just fly in your face.

Interesting read. Like the scouts said, "he was a bottom six player"

11 hours ago, CoachX said:

Interesting read. Like the scouts said, "he was a bottom six player"

Yes a bottom 6 player.

No one is saying he is coming for TK's spot or going to lead the team in scoring.

But like it or not his game and skill set is needed within the lineup.

I see him being an eventual Raffl or even Pitlick replacement soon if not next season.

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Thats his upside?

Its worse than I thought

He is upside is second line RW.

I think he is certainly more than a utility player and he is very sound defensively it's why AV loves him so much because he plays smart physical and takes care up the puck. Combine that with the nasty shot he has and i could easily see him playing a key role as second liner.

There is a reason he was a second round pick. They seen his game projected as a top six guy when they drafted him.

Now will he get there is anyone's guess all he needs is the time to show what he can do and it will take care of itself.

The have hi skating now on the right side of JVR and Laughton that to me sounds like a very good 3rd line.

He will have some stiff competition when you look at the draft picks they spent on the RW position but i already like his game better than Jake's so he may make him expendable especially with his huge price tag.

you never know he could be plucked in the expansion draft if he is available. Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The have hi skating now on the right side of JVR and Laughton that to me sounds like a very good 3rd line.

JVR's line? Thats the kiss of death right there. 

I dont think you have to worry about the expansion draft, no one else wants him

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

JVR's line? Thats the kiss of death right there. 

Yeah he and Laughton are two very responsible back checkers (and will have their work cut of them) who play smart and take of the puck, maybe besides Coots, the two best guys to play with that tard.

So if they can play defense and get the puck back and up ice and yeah maybe they can set JVR to do the only the he is good at and score.

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont think you have to worry about the expansion draft, no one else wants him

Yeah we thought that about Bellemare but guys who play sound defense and are very physical on the puck stick out to scouts they are coachable and are worth a risk.

But i hope you're right no one wants him but they have to take someone. Maybe we can get lucky and they take JVR or Voracek.