Flyers 2020-21 season

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They still own his rights.

But i pretty much think he just doesn't want to come over to the US.

Not everyone has the NHL as their highest goal to reach.

Most likely he just wants to stay home and work in the field he loves and is happy making the money he is making.

I have it like this after this upcoming season.

Carter Hart
Kirill Ustimenko
Felix Sandstrom
Ivan Fedotov
Samuel Ersson
Matej Tomek
Roddy Ross

As you noticed i have them moving on from Elliott and Lyon. Nothing to see here really time for a kid to step.

So i have Kirill expected to back Hart up by 2021-22. He will be 22 to start the season and 23 by mid season. So why not??

Guess we'll know more at the conclusion of this season coming up. If there is a season. 

And i can see the Flyers trying to bring one of Ersson or Fedotov over to start the transition of learning on the smaller ice surface that does take some awhile to get use to.

In fact i think that is what Felix is struggling with...there is less time and space out on the ice and the players are much closer to the crease and will fire from anywhere that takes guys time to learn...some pick it up quickly.

What will happen to Felix i feel it is a big year for him if he wants to keep Ustimenko from passing him.

Good stuff OR. Thx. Do you have goaltending background?

I think this is Sandstrom on the right and don't know who on the left?

6-29-2018_DevCamp_Goalies_credKateFrese

Samuel Ersson - 

1152546503-850x560.jpeg

And the 6' 8" Fedotov - 

1579632862740_image001.jpg?fit=623%2C350&ssl=1

Encouraging news - 

• Nolan Patrick has been skating without any issues. 

Patrick has also been sleeping better because his headaches have diminished. He was taking part in scrimmages in October and appears to be making good progress after missing the entire 2019-20 campaign because of a migraine disorder. Patrick still has to see how his head reacts to contact and bright lights as well as get over some other hurdles, but this is all encouraging news going into the 2020-21 season. 

Dec 3, 2020, 3:55 PM ET

• Philadelphia Flyers center Nolan Patrick scores a goal during the Philadelphia Flyers versus the Montreal Canadiens game on January 19 at Bell Centre...
  • Good Post 1

November 11, 2020

Nolan Patrick in Scrimmages

Brandon, Manitoba, Ryan White finds himself fervently competing against a player 10 years younger than him.

"That’s the first thing I see in Nolan [Patrick], he brings that — for a skilled guy, his tenacity on the puck, the way he wants it. He’s been in a couple of scuffles here in the scrimmages and it’s just based on his compete level, he just wants that puck more than other guys."

"When he does get that puck, that’s the second part of him," White said. "There are a lot of great players out there, but there are not a lot of guys who can really turn it up to that next level. That’s what I see in him in some days, is he’s got that next level. There are pros and there are great players, and then there’s another level of guys who can do some things that you’re like, ‘OK, what’s going on here, how did he do that? Why did he do that?’ I think he’s got another level to his game there, just offensively with the puck, he attacks guys, he tends to put guys in bad positions to expose them, he’s always drawing extra guys to him to get his linemates the puck.

"I think the best part about him is he competes. We’ve been playing these scrimmages, he’s hard in the circle, he wins his faceoffs, he wants the puck, he knows he needs to start with it; sometimes you can’t teach that stuff. There are a lot of great skilled players out there but they need to play with that tenacity and that drive to really get to that next level. That’s probably the biggest thing I notice in him.

"I don’t think the guys really realize how lucky we’ve been to have him out there and pushing the pace. When you’ve got guys like that out there, it definitely makes the tempo better, makes guys try harder and they want to do good against him; you don’t want to get embarrassed by him, you want to measure up against him and see how they stand against a player like that."

Nolan Patrick of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrates a second period goal with teammates against the Buffalo Sabres on February 26, 2019 at the Wells...

Eklund today:

On Johnny Gaudreau...

I am really surprised we aren't hearing more Gaudreau rumors right now in other media outlets, because I am hearing quite a bit, with one source telling me "The Flames have to move him this year, preferably before the return to play."

There are as many as six teams out there who have talked to Calgary...and yes Philly is one of them, however I am not getting any sense that the Flyers are the favorite in this...There are two teams that I keep hearing more and more....The Islanders and Canadiens....Both teams would need to clear space and or make some very tough calls...But both teams have a ton of interest...

For our Flyers? No thank you. Pass.

Why pass?

1) Johnny Hockey has 2 years remaining on his contract at 6.75 M Cap Hit per and would cost valuable assets in trade.

2) Our Flyers team is a very good team going into this coming season. No need to disrupt the projected forward group or cause Cap issues or give-up future assets of prospects or draft picks.

3) This team will score goals. Our Flyers last season were 7th in the 31-team NHL in 'goals scored' (They played 1 and 2 games less than the two teams ahead of them, and could easily have been 5th in the League).

4) The reminder from GM Fletcher - don't draw conclusions from the small sample size of the 13 games of the Bubble Playoffs. I think he is right.

5) Our Flyers are improved from last season:

- The addition of Lindblom and potentially Patrick.

- The possible addition of RW Sandin this season - - age 24, is a goal scorer with SHL pro experience.

- Young rostered players have not yet peaked and will get better and better: Konecny, Farabee, NAK, Bunnaman (in his 4th line role), Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Hart.

Bring-on the season!

(And, finally, consider the rumor source - Eklund.)

Lindblom scores - - can you see the puck?

Philadelphia Flyers forward Oskar Lindblom, right, has his shot stopped by Flames goalie David Rittich on Tuesday night in Calgary.

Philadelphia Flyers Left Wing Oskar Lindblom scores a goal on Vancouver Canucks Goaltender Jacob Markstrom during their NHL game at Rogers Arena on...

Hmm. Can our Flyers help?

Article posted today on the Ottawa Senators Rebuilding:

The organization, under Pierre Dorion’s leadership, has built an enviable crop of young prospects, signalling the dawn of a new era of hockey in Canada’s capital. If Tim Stuetzle and Jake Sanderson can team up with Brady Tkachuk, Drake Batherson, Josh Norris, Thomas Chabot, Alex Formenton, and Erik Brannstrom, among others, the Senators have the chance to be incredibly dangerous in just a few short years.

Of course, prospects developing into bona fide NHLers typically isn’t enough to push a team over that final hurdle. The Tampa Bay Lightning are a perfect example of a franchise that developed a core internally, but still needed to supplement it with outside help to finally capture the Stanley Cup. Both keeping that developed core around and surrounding it with an adequate supporting cast takes money.

If you look at recent Stanley Cup champions, the common denominator is that they haven’t been afraid to spend. That’s not to say that each season’s champion was always the highest spender, but it is to say that true budget teams aren’t often the last ones standing at the end of the year.

When the time comes, Senators ownership is going to have to open the wallet and dish out the dollars. The promising news on that front is that [owner] Eugene Melnyk was previously quoted as planning to spend near the cap between 2021 and 2025. Whether the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted those plans remains to be seen.

This article analysis implys that Ottawa needs a few NHL veterans to complement all these core young players.

Can our Flyers help? Do we have any veterans to trade to Ottawa to complement/help their young core - - provide experienced veteran players to show their youngsters how to navigate the NHL waters?

usa_shayne_gostisbehere_james_van_riemsdyk.jpg?w=863&h=0&crop=1

3 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Encouraging news - 

• Nolan Patrick has been skating without any issues. 

Patrick has also been sleeping better because his headaches have diminished. He was taking part in scrimmages in October and appears to be making good progress after missing the entire 2019-20 campaign because of a migraine disorder. Patrick still has to see how his head reacts to contact and bright lights as well as get over some other hurdles, but this is all encouraging news going into the 2020-21 season. 

Dec 3, 2020, 3:55 PM ET

• Philadelphia Flyers center Nolan Patrick scores a goal during the Philadelphia Flyers versus the Montreal Canadiens game on January 19 at Bell Centre...

Trade him now, his value will never be higher!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Hmm. Can our Flyers help?

Article posted today on the Ottawa Senators Rebuilding:

The organization, under Pierre Dorion’s leadership, has built an enviable crop of young prospects, signalling the dawn of a new era of hockey in Canada’s capital. If Tim Stuetzle and Jake Sanderson can team up with Brady Tkachuk, Drake Batherson, Josh Norris, Thomas Chabot, Alex Formenton, and Erik Brannstrom, among others, the Senators have the chance to be incredibly dangerous in just a few short years.

Of course, prospects developing into bona fide NHLers typically isn’t enough to push a team over that final hurdle. The Tampa Bay Lightning are a perfect example of a franchise that developed a core internally, but still needed to supplement it with outside help to finally capture the Stanley Cup. Both keeping that developed core around and surrounding it with an adequate supporting cast takes money.

If you look at recent Stanley Cup champions, the common denominator is that they haven’t been afraid to spend. That’s not to say that each season’s champion was always the highest spender, but it is to say that true budget teams aren’t often the last ones standing at the end of the year.

When the time comes, Senators ownership is going to have to open the wallet and dish out the dollars. The promising news on that front is that [owner] Eugene Melnyk was previously quoted as planning to spend near the cap between 2021 and 2025. Whether the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted those plans remains to be seen.

This article analysis implys that Ottawa needs a few NHL veterans to complement all these core young players.

Can our Flyers help? Do we have any veterans to trade to Ottawa to complement/help their young core - - provide experienced veteran players to show their youngsters how to navigate the NHL waters?

usa_shayne_gostisbehere_james_van_riemsdyk.jpg?w=863&h=0&crop=1

Jvr, Jake, Ghost

Im sure they could part with a few of those shovels the ice girls push around

There is hope - - 

• GARY BETTMAN COM, NHL
    The NHL shared multiple draft schedules with the NHLPA on Thursday, which included 56- and 52-game regular-seasons that could begin sometime in mid-January.

The discussions went late into Thursday night, but an exact start date wasn't determined. It could be a few days before or after Jan. 15 with training camps opening about 10 to 14 days ahead of time. The seven teams that didn't qualify for the NHL Return to Play postseason may be allowed to have voluntary camps one week earlier, which could be around late December. 

This is an encouraging development despite some economic issues that still need to be figured out. The two sides are trying to maximize the amount of games that will be played because that means more revenue and it reduces the amount of debt that players would have to give back to owners in future seasons. Both sides also have to navigate a complicated landscape with rising COVID-19 numbers. 

SOURCE: TSN.ca
    Dec 4, 2020, 12:02 PM ET
    NHL suspends season amid coronavirus concerns | Sporting News Canada
  •  

Today, Dec 5, Eklund posted - 

Just talked to a source who said the Flyers would move "any D-man NOT named Provorov and a pick" for Nylander and the Leafs haven't said no. This is simply not going away.

more to come....

This is BS. As usual, Eklund's source is Eklund. Click bait.

Fletcher, and all of us, would not give-up Sanheim or Myers for the Leafs' Nylander. Quality, top-4, young, mobile defencemen are much harder to get than quality forwards. Our Flyers have 3 solid ones that will be the core of our defence for many years.

Even knowing that Zamula and York are coming in 2/3 seasons, doesn't change the 'keep Provorov/Sanheim/Myers'. It just means that our Flyers will have 5 or 6 quality mobile, 3-zone, defencemen. Awesome.

Now, if some GM offers a super-star forward like a Connor McDavid for one of our quality defencemen, that is a re-think - - - hmm - - - yes.

Keith Jones loves the Flyers' outlook, sees a 'star' in Philippe Myers | RSN

10 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Just talked to a source who said the Flyers would move "any D-man NOT named Provorov and a pick" for Nylander and the Leafs haven't said no. This is simply not going away.

more to come....

Fletcher, and all of us, would not give-up Sanheim or Myers for the Leafs' Nylander. Quality, top-4, young, mobile defencemen are much harder to get than quality forwards. Our Flyers have 3 solid ones that will be the core of our defence for many years.

Even knowing that Zamula and York are coming in 2/3 seasons, doesn't change the 'keep Provorov/Sanheim/Myers'. It just means that our Flyers will have 5 or 6 quality mobile, 3-zone, defencemen. Awesome.

Now, if some GM offers a super-star forward like a Connor McDavid for one of our quality defencemen, that is a re-think - - - hmm - - - yes.

totally agree. this BS smells so rancid I can smell it through my screen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Damn. CX is fast on the trigger - - and good!

Next Saturday's Flyers Photo Puzzler - - - a tough one - - - CX will be challenged.

if you ask my fellow flyer fan and forum members, they will assure you, I AM DEFINITELY CHALLENGED

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zzeke said:

more to come....

Is he trying to trade his version of Brent Burns for the Flyers?

Can't remember if he was the GM for the Wild when that went down.

But I hope this is only Ek's click bait idea if true.

Sorry but if I am trading the guys mentioned Sanehim or Myers I would want to move them for another forward....this team doesn't need another soft forward especially when the playoffs start.

HARD PASS!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is he trying to trade his version of Brent Burns for the Flyers?

He even got a lot of good assets in that trade and reading back on it, seemed like he was conflicted despite the haul of Charlie Coyle, Devin Setagouchi and a first and a second. 

The circumstances in Philly are very different from what he was trying to "fix" in Minnesota. There are many good, young, skilled players in the Flyers system. That was not the case in Minnesota. 

I don't think Chuck is stupid, nor do I think he's eager to blow up what he's inherited here. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zzeke said:

more to come....

The wise Bill Meltzer posted this on HockeyBuzz this morning (below) - 

This is sure to get him in trouble with his Hockey Buzz boss Eklund.

As far as any potential Flyers trade that would send Travis Sanheim (or Phil Myers) to Toronto for Michael Nylander, Philadelphia lost Matt Niskanen and his 21:49 of all-situations ice time to early retirement this offseason. They aren't in a position to lose another 20-minute a night defenseman who is capable of 8 to 10 goals and 30-plus points over a full season. Sanheim averaged 1:55 on the penalty kill last season. The only NHL-geared off-season addition the Flyers made to the blueline was Erik Gustafsson, who does not kill penalties.

Additionally, the Flyers are not currently in position, salary cap wise, to take on Nylander's $6.96 million contract especially since it has four seasons to run. Lastly, the Flyers' larger roster need -- depending on the health of Nolan Patrick and the development of Morgan Frost -- is at third line center rather than on wing.

There just isn't a fit here right now from a Flyers' standpoint. From a Toronto standpoint, Kyle Dubas would likely want an additional asset included. Additionally their bigger need is for a right handed, right side defenseman.

That's really all there is to say about the rumor that Eklund has posted about several times this week. Never say never, but it's an unlikely trade from either organization's standpoint.

Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers pushes Leo Komarov of the New York Islanders away form goaltender Brian Elliott during the second period of...

• Like 1

On defense, the only 2 moveable pieces should be Hagg and Ghost. And there is an argument that Hagg is back up for Braun. And if I understand correctly, we have a few more really good D men trying to push for a roster spot

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

On defense, the only 2 moveable pieces should be Hagg and Ghost. And there is an argument that Hagg is back up for Braun. And if I understand correctly, we have a few more really good D men trying to push for a roster spot

Yeh, good stuff.

I think we are looking at this:

2020-21 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded soon - before we get too close to the June Expansion Draft

And, yes you are correct - - at least 2 high-quality prospect defencemen are 2 and 3 seasons away. Zamula and York:

Egor Zamula (D)

What I liked about his game was he could see the ice very well, he had a long, active stick,” Chynoweth said. “Being a 6-foot-4 guy anyways and with a long stick, he was good at getting pucks away from opposing players, he could slow the game down. 

For a big man, he could thread the pass like a needle in a haystack. He could do things that not many players can. He had a bomb from the point. He was almost a point-a-game player last year, you look at the numbers he put up last year as an 18-year-old, and then he just continued right into this year, point-a-game player and unfortunately got hurt at the world juniors. 

But he was having a great season, he had a great world juniors, named one of the top three players for Russia at the world juniors. I mean, the sky was the limit. Zamula’s season came to an end at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship where he went down swinging. He helped lead Russia to a silver medal with five points (two goals, three assists) in seven games, playing through the injured back.

"He's been playing in pain for a while and playing remarkably well, but not at 100 percent," Fletcher said two weeks ago.

“Just to tell you, to speak about his pain threshold, we never once heard about it when he was here. He played and it just got worse as he got more in the last little bit. It just got to a point where they had to have something to do about it. He’s going to have surgery, he’s going to be out three to four months but he should be ready for the start of development camp for the Flyers after the draft.”

Zamula will most likely open the 2020-21 season with AHL affiliate Lehigh Valley, but you never know. With the Feb. 24 trade deadline and a whole offseason ahead before next training camp, things can change.

Zamula will continue to change as he recovers and gears up for pro hockey. Gaining more strength will be a focus during the offseason. Zamula was listed at 6-foot-3, 160 pounds to start the 2018-19 season. This season, he was 6-foot-4, 170.

The things he does well, you can’t teach. Most guys put on weight as they get older and get stronger. Obviously now being with the Flyers in Philadelphia for the surgery, he’ll be there under their watchful eye through the rehab process. And I’m sure that once he’s cleared to start working out, they’ll do a great job.”

“The Flyers have a good one there. … I think the sky’s the limit for Egor.”

Cam York (D)
SCOUTING REPORT
An excellent skater with a very smooth stride, he is adept at joining the rush and putting up points. He also displays very good hockey sense, and he defends his position rather well. Lacks size and strength, so he needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger for the highest level. His quickness and hockey savvy make him a constant threat in transition. Long Range Potential: Swift-skating, talented defenseman with upside.

Flyers prospects to watch at the World Juniors - Broad Street Hockey

image.jpeg.8db55538fb1f36f3e08407d87d327a82.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I will track down Eklund and shove a set of moose antlers up his arse until he bleeds to death if the Flyers trade Myers or Sanheim for Nylander or anything like that. 

Well, you'd better get TWO moose antlers ready for use, because they're going to trade Patrick for him.

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Well, you'd better get TWO moose antlers ready for use, because they're going to trade Patrick for him.

Lol. Do you have any idea how big a moose is, particularly ones with full antlers? I don't think I could haul two out of the bush. I would need an army to help and we don't really have an army. 

• Haha 1