Flyers 2020-21 season

My issue with SL is consistency . Everything said by all of you is obviously sound POV. SL shows flashes of offensive skill. Sometimes hes agressive with the forecheck. Sometimes hes edgy and hard to play against. Occaisionally he loses his **** and defends a teammate. But I just dont see him doing any one of them on a nightly basis.

This team needs players on the offensive side who bring it all the time  

5 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Huh? Where are our Flyers???

ESPN published this 2020-21 Realignment Plan today:

xfldzpvnrjlhhfz34uwk.png

Then DEADSPIN takes a shot at us:

Well, who knew that the perpetually and terminally backward NHL would be the first North American sports league to side with the rest of the world and simply boot a team out of its borders for ineffectiveness… at least according to ESPN.

Yep, the Philadelphia Flyers have been relegated from the NHL, to parts… well, who really gives a sh!t? They’re gone!

It’s been a long time coming for the Flyers, who really haven’t been relevant since the early 90’s to anyone outside of the section of the population that thinks vomiting up a gas station sandwich is worthy of knighthood. And even then it’s debatable.

Their two Final appearances in the past 30 years have seen them go 2-8. There’s been a couple other conference finals appearances, but no one remembers them. Also, Bobby Clarke is an idiot.

That’s the thing about the Flyers, and why they’ve earned this relegation.

NHL Realignment — The SWC Round-Up

this is because the Flyers are in a league of their own!

Zing!

I'm here all week, please tip your servers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this is because the Flyers are in a league of their own!

Zing!

I'm here all week, please tip your servers...

I'll let it go, mojo, since it was from you. It's cool.

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

SO...Are they ACTUALLY gonna play hockey in January?!

I was starting to think it a long shot, but they seem to be pushing forward....

God, I hope so. Gonna be a long "dark" winter.....hockey  makes me smile.

• GARY BETTMANCOM, NHL

The NHL and the NHLPA have agreed to keep the CBA's economic framework, allowing the league to return to action in mid-January according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet.ca.

The NHL is expected to return to action on January 13 according to reports and that there will be a 56-game schedule. Teams that did not make the post-season will be allowed to practice starting on December 28 with the remaining teams beginning training camp on January 1.

There will unlikely be any pre-season games. The players were willing to budge on escrow as per the owner's request but wanted some concessions in return, something the NHL was unwilling to do.

Stay tuned as there are still plenty of things to work out, including the divisions, schedule and what to do in cities like Montreal, San Jose and Winnipeg where there are restrictions in place due to more outbreaks of the coronavirus.

SOURCE: Sportsnet.ca
    Dec 8, 2020, 8:42 AM ET

•  

• Like 1

Return-to-Play Leaks

More details, of the return to play, are leaking out via twitter.

- the goal is to finalize the planning and bring it to a Governors' vote about a week before Christmas, around the end of next week.

- Covid-19 testing for players would begin on Dec. 26

- training-camp start on Jan. 3

- season start on Jan. 13

- no exhibition games, the league wants to get started with games that count as soon as possible

- main rosters will be expanded from 23 to 26 players

- 4 additional players kept nearby on the taxi squad (if the coronavirus makes its way into a dressing room, it can take out a significant chunk of a roster in a very short period of time. Postponements could end up coming into play.)

- a taxi squad would allow teams to keep its top-four projected recalls in Philadelphia to train and practice, collect their AHL salaries and NHL benefits. That will keep longer-term NHL prospects with the Phantoms to play an AHL season projected to start Feb. 5

-  the league is once again looking at including an opt-out option for players and personnel who, for whatever reason, don't feel comfortable dealing with the risk of Covid-19. Salary would be paid but not count against the salary cap, like an LTIR situation.

None of this is official yet pending the NHL Board of Governers' Vote.

Trades - Trades - Trades

Once the return-to-play plan is ratified, expect the wheeling and dealing to begin in earnest around the league. We may not have the usual holiday trade freeze this year, with so much needing to be done in such a short period of time.

NHL Trade Alert!!! – Knights of The Roundtable

Podein25 - FYI - 

Reported today by Meltzer - 

There is wider involvement among the Flyers Alumni Association membership base in identifying worthy charities and people in need. Among the Alumni who brought donation candidates to the attention of Association president Brad Marsh and the board of directors were the likes of Kerry Huffman, Orest Kindrachuk, Shjon Podein, Garry Peters, Joe Watson (via wife Jamie) and Alumni board member Bob Kelly.

The number one priority, of course, is to identify the recipients to whom the Alumni Association can bring the most-needed assistance. Secondarily, this is a way to bring the generations of Flyers Alumni closer together with the Association to unite for good causes.

Podein, who played for the Flyers in the mid-1990s, lives in Minnesota. Podein suggested the Alumni help out Community Food Response; the food bank in his native Rochester, Minn. This charity was selected by Marsh and the Alumni Association board among this year's recipients.

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused alarming levels of food assistance needs in communities across the United States. The Flyers Alumni Association put a little extra emphasis this year on prioritizing 12 Days recipients who meet this need in their communities including the CFR in Rochester.

Good work by Podein and the Flyers Alumni Association.

Can anyone identify these 4 Flyers alumni?

Podein25?

Former members of the Philadelphia Flyers Shjon Podein, Keith Primeau, Eric Lindros, and John LeClair speak during a press conference before Eric...

On another slow Hockey day - 

Something to consider - 

Does size matter? On NHL teams' defense it does! Tall! Defensive reach, poke-check, shot deflecting, etc.

Think about this Flyers team's defense potentially in the near future from a size standpoint:

Provorov 6-1
Sanheim 6-4
Myers 6-5
Zamula 6-3
Morin 6-7
Braun 6-2
Hagg 6-2

And, Flyers' 6'-8" goalie Ivan Fedotov backing-up Carter Hart!

Yes, it takes much more to be a good/excellent NHL defenceman, but, size does matter. Agree?

Brad Marchand of the Boston Bruins is caught between Philippe Myers and Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers in the first period during Game One...

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Well from Right to Left ... I am 99% sure the 1st person is LeClair and next to him I’m 100% sure that is Lindros. Not sure of other 2.

Yes and yes - - half-way there.

What?? Please NO !!

Elliotte Friedman | @FriedgeHNIC
December 10, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quickie blog for Thursday afternoon:

The NHL is investigating selling ads on players’ helmets. It was brought up on Wednesday’s Board of Governors call; there won’t be any formal comment until team presidents are briefed on Monday.

It’s an interesting move.

Across the league, there’s an understanding of the need for more creativity in revenue development. Ads on jerseys will come eventually, but there is a desire to be careful with it.

The other reason the league may “test drive” with helmets is to get an idea of where the market stands during COVID. You don’t want to rush into a below-market deal.

No, no, no !

Our Flyers' LW Linus Sandin (Flyers maybe this season), playing in Sweden - Ads !

Forwarden Linus Sandin återvänder till HV71 och lånas ut från Philadelphia Flyers.

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Incorrect. Think 'big Center' and 'overtime'.

Keith Primeau ..... he was 6'5" and scored the 5th OT goal vs Pens.  I can't believe I actually watched the whole game..... LOL

If it is not him then I give up ......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Former members of the Philadelphia Flyers Shjon Podein, Keith Primeau, Eric Lindros, and John LeClair speak during a press conference before Eric...

so to recap ....

from Right to Left

1) John LeClair

2) Eric Lindros

3) Keith Primeau - based on clue above I'm pretty sure now

4) Shjon Podein  - took me awhile but I'm now about 95% sure.  Besides you directed post to Pods near the end so I figured it has to be him .....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Keith Primeau ..... he was 6'5" and scored the 5th OT goal vs Pens.  I can't believe I actually watched the whole game..... LOL

If it is not him then I give up ......

Bingo! Nailed it.

Waiting for our member from Manitoba to get the 4th ex-Flyer at the table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

so to recap ....

from Right to Left

1) John LeClair

2) Eric Lindros

3) Keith Primeau - based on clue above I'm pretty sure now

4) Shjon Podein  - took me awhile but I'm now about 95% sure.  Besides you directed post to Pods near the end so I figured it has to be him .....

Ah. You got it. Before Podein25 comes on-line here. Good job pd.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Ah. You got it. Before Podein25 comes on-line here. Good job pd.

Tomorrow is this forum's 'Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest'.

Last Saturday CX won - Hexy and Gretzky. He won't get tomorrow's Flyers Photo Puzzler.

Every Saturday at 12 Noon.

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf3789e.png

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

Flyers trivia question.

In a skills competition, what players from the Flyers' roster of this past season would win -

1) fastest skater?

2) shooting accuracy?

3) hardest shot?

4) breakaway skill?

(The correct answers are documented in an article from June 2020.)

I don't expect anyone to get all 4. Impossible. Especially numbers 1 and 2. If anyone does, he/she will be crowned Flyers HF expert of the year.

In fact, if anyone gets 3 of the 4, it's outstanding, brilliant - - knows our Flyers!

image.jpeg.19ee13e4bf03e1d20daa14f11bd2cd60.jpeg

9 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Flyers trivia question.

In a skills competition, what players from the Flyers' roster of this past season would win -

1) fastest skater? TK

2) shooting accuracy? JVR

3) hardest shot? Phil Myers

4) breakaway skill? Giroux

On 12/9/2020 at 9:55 PM, Zzeke said:

The NHL is expected to return to action on January 13

HaHa! My 40th Birthday non-the-Less!!!! :birthday1:

(God, this is MaineFlyFan, (your favorite member over at hockeyforums.net)......Um, Please make this happen. Also, if you have time, wanna lend a hand with this whole "Covid thing"?.......THANKS!!)

Also, I had three of the 4 alumni! Actually, I grew up in/near VT and John LeClair used to date my best friends step-sister. Had no idea on Podein though! Good one!

Edited by MaineFlyFan
  • Like 2

Weekly Saturday Flyers Photo Puzzler

12 N Every Saturday

Winners:
week 1: CX - Hexy and Gretzky
week 2: today

Today are 2 photos - - one for the members who remember Flyers' 'times past' and one contemporary for all.

First member with the correct answer(s) is declared the week's winner. This week - 2 winners.

No cheatin !!  Visual recognition only !

1) Who is the Flyers' player in the foreground?

image.jpeg.c320306ab5ae1b0edec9b9bee7b5938d.jpeg

2) Toughest Flyers' Player ever IMO

47 Behn Wilson Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Edited by Zzeke