Flyers 2020-21 season

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

@Zzeke

The 2nd one is Behn Wilson

Is the first one a current roster player?

Correct. (You are older than I thought 😏 )  Winner for #2!  Good job P25.

On #1, no hints. The photo itself provides a hint.

26 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Correct. (You are older than I thought 😏 )  Winner for #2!  Good job P25.

On #1, no hints. The photo itself provides a hint.

I am old. Old as dirt. 

The photo on the first one is blurry you tricky bastard.

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:
1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

1) Who is the Flyers' player in the foreground?

image.jpeg.c320306ab5ae1b0edec9b9bee7b5938d.jpeg

Giroux or Coots?

#5 in this photo I believe is Coborn.  It can't be Morin because Morin is big and has been injured.  I'm gonna go Coots

Nah .. I'm second guessing myself ... I agree with @Podein25 ...it is Mark Friedman ... so is that Morin or Myers in background?

Edited by pilldoc

29 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Giroux or Coots?

#5 in this photo I believe is Coborn.  It can't be Morin because Morin is big and has been injured.  I'm gonna go Coots

The hidden hint is that #5 is RH (left hand on top of stick). Coburn and Morin are both LH, shoots left.

In the photo, both Friedman and Myers (#5) are RH defencemen.

Good job by P25.

45 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

@Zzeke

It's Mark Friedman

Winner !!

Wow, 2 correct answers and 2 points for P25 in the Weekly Flyers Photo Puzzler.

Tune-in next Saturday, kids, at 12 N, for the next challenge that nobody will get - - a Flyers player of the past and a contemporary Flyers player.

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf3789e.png

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 2

Repeat - - 

Flyers trivia question.

In a skills competition, what players from the Flyers' roster of this past season would win -

1) fastest skater?

2) shooting accuracy?

3) hardest shot?

4) breakaway skill?

(The correct answers are documented in an article from June 2020.)

I don't expect anyone to get all 4. Impossible. Especially numbers 1 and 2. If anyone does, he/she will be crowned Flyers HF expert of the year.

In fact, if anyone gets 3 of the 4, it's outstanding, brilliant - - knows our Flyers!

image.jpeg.19ee13e4bf03e1d20daa14f11bd2cd60.jpeg

P25 has guessed:

In a skills competition, what players from the Flyers' roster of this past season would win -

1) fastest skater? TK

2) shooting accuracy? JVR

3) hardest shot? Phil Myers

4) breakaway skill? Giroux

Anyone else want to try?

image.jpeg.04183f8018f73b316456678c5e0a5784.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Repeat - - 

Flyers trivia question.

1) fastest skater?

2) shooting accuracy?

3) hardest shot?

4) breakaway skill?

(The correct answers are documented in an article from June 2020.)

I don't expect anyone to get all 4. Impossible. Especially numbers 1 and 2. If anyone does, he/she will be crowned Flyers HF expert of the year.

In fact, if anyone gets 3 of the 4, it's outstanding, brilliant - - knows our Flyers!

image.jpeg.19ee13e4bf03e1d20daa14f11bd2cd60.jpeg

P25 has guessed:

1) fastest skater? TK

2) shooting accuracy? JVR

3) hardest shot? Phil Myers

4) breakaway skill? Giroux

Anyone else want to try?

image.jpeg.04183f8018f73b316456678c5e0a5784.jpeg

In fairness to me, the JVR guess is a joke really. But I could see him, normally useless, absolutely destroying the competition in a totally meaningless challenge. It's kind of how he rolls.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 12:05 PM, RonJeremy said:

Let’s not say JVR sucks, let’s say he is not assertive enough, he has skill,  but it seems he loses his confidence easily and has a very laid back personality ,which carries over on the ice. He lacks ferocity and determination, but you can’t turn a mellow , hey dude kinda guy into a ferocious lion on the ice. If he had just a little bit more determination he would have been a very good player. To sum it up,  JVR just does not have “The Attitude” , for those familiar with Fast Times at Ridgemont, no matter how much Damone coached Rat, he was still a wuss and would never have the attitude.

Same problem as always with JVR. There is no love of the game. If he could make the same amount of money bagging groceries he would greet you with a smile as he bagged your Twinkies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Same problem as always with JVR. There is no love of the game. If he could make the same amount of money bagging groceries he would greet you with a smile as he bagged your Twinkies.

- Not lazy. JVR just does not have the physical tools anymore. He does not have the skating required. Also, his reactions to loose pucks is not good. He lacks the reaction-time and quickness required to pursue.
- At 6-3, 217, age 31, his body has slowed down. His NHL career of 10 years and 802 games has caught up with him.
- We wish him well. With Fletcher's need to open up space in the 23-man roster for young players Patrick, Lindblom, and Frost, (and keep Farabee), JVR must be moved as one of several changes.
- The challenge for Fletcher is how? JVR's contract has 3 more seasons at a 7M Cap Hit. And, teams have the video of his play. Perhaps the only way is a package trade where team X, that has big Cap Space, strongly wants something of value from Fletcher, and Fletcher requires them to take JVR as part of the package in order to complete the deal.

James van Riemsdyk of the Philadelphia Flyers battles for the puck against Kasperi Kapanen of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second period at the...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zzeke said:

- Not lazy. JVR just does not have the physical tools anymore. He does not have the skating required. Also, his reactions to loose pucks is not good. He lacks the reaction-time and quickness required to pursue.
- At 6-3, 217, age 31, his body has slowed down. His NHL career of 10 years and 802 games has caught up with him.

- We wish him well. With Fletcher's need to open up space in the 23-man roster for young players Patrick, Lindblom, and Frost, (and keep Farabee), JVR must be moved as one of several changes.
- The challenge for Fletcher is how? JVR's contract has 3 more seasons at a 7M Cap Hit. And, teams have the video of his play. Perhaps the only way is a package trade where team X, that has big Cap Space, strongly wants something of value from Fletcher, and Fletcher requires them to take JVR as part of the package in order to complete the deal.

James van Riemsdyk of the Philadelphia Flyers battles for the puck against Kasperi Kapanen of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second period at the...

JVR plays the exact same game since he came into the league.(other than that one playoff against the Broonz) He's a floater who looks like he'd rather be studying photos of Lemmy (eh, Pods?) than playing hockey. He could have been a really good player if he put half an effort in. Guy doesn't need to shower after a game.

• Like 2

A good reminder today (12/14/20) from Jordan Hall on one of the multiple reasons why this 2020-21 season will show that our Flyers will be a top team - 

Our two 28 YO Centers - - Couturier and Hayes:

A scary thought is that Couturier, coming off a Selke Trophy-winning season, can get better. The Flyers' 6-foot-3, 211-pound alpha dog at center doesn't take his foot off the gas in his work. His game is built for longevity and sustainability. A snapshot of his ongoing growth: over the last three seasons, only three NHL centers have more even strength points than Couturier's 166 — Connor McDavid (219), Leon Draisaitl (194) and Nathan MacKinnon (188).

"He’s an elite player and you realize how good he is when you see him at the rink every day and you see how he goes about his life," Hayes said of Couturier in July.

Had the 2019-20 regular season finished normally in a full 82-game slate, Hayes would have broken his career high of 25 goals (he scored 23 in 69 games). He still ended up with career highs in shots (175), game-winning goals (five) and shorthanded goals (four), a year after the Flyers scored four shorthanded markers as a team in 2018-19. He capped off his productive Year 1 in Philadelphia with 13 points (four goals, nine assists) and a plus-7 mark over 16 playoff games.

"He’s a huge part of our team," Couturier said about Hayes in August. "He can make the difference in a game."

Patrice Bergeron's career season came at 33 years old. Anze Kopitar's was at 30. Claude Giroux put up 34 goals, 68 assists, 102 points and a plus-28 rating at 30 years old. Players are still reaching their primes in their 30s.

The Flyers will continue to find out more about 2017 first-round picks Nolan Patrick and Morgan Frost. With time and development, those two centers could begin to fill out the Flyers' picture frame down the middle.

It's why the Flyers have to like the possibilities at the pivot, led by Couturier and Hayes.

Full article is at NBC Sports - Philadelphia website.

Kevin Hayes and Sean Couturier of the Philadelphia Flyers exchange a laugh during warms up against the Toronto Maple Leafs on November 2, 2019 at the...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

only three NHL centers have more even strength points than Couturier's 166 — Connor McDavid (219), Leon Draisaitl (194) and Nathan MacKinnon (188).

Wow, not bad for a guy who can't skate and who a large number (a majority even?) of Flyer fans on this board considered a bust and a waste of an 8th overall pick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Wow, not bad for a guy who can't skate and who a large number (a majority even?) of Flyer fans on this board considered a bust and a waste of an 8th overall pick. 

Fortunately, people like me were here to tell people to calm down. We literally told the pitchfork and torches crowd that Coots would win the Selke in 5 years (it took him more like 6, but hey who is counting) and people mocked us. They mocked us and called us names. 

Anyway, I friggin love the ginger bastard. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Wow, not bad for a guy [Couturier] who can't skate and who a large number (a majority even?) of Flyer fans on this board considered a bust and a waste of an 8th overall pick. 

I'm surprised. I'm a rookie here, and I am impressed with the members here.

We all have learned to not 'shoot from the hip' when it comes to young players. Some take years to mature and emerge in the NHL game.

As an example:

Chris Pronger is arguably the greatest defenseman to ever wear a Philadelphia Flyers uniform. He was a Flyers anchor for his 2 seasons here before the eye injury ended his career.

In young Pronger's first 3 seasons in Hartford, the fans were unmercifuly on him and on the GM. Pronger was subsequently traded to StL.

Pronger became one of the greatest defensemen in NHL history. He is the only defenseman to have won the Hart Trophy, as the league's MVP, since Bobby Orr.

Patience, patience.

Patience with Konecny. Patience with Patrick. Patience with Farabee. Patience with Frost. Patience with NAK. Patience with Gustafsson when he initially plays here to fit in under AV's system.

Chris Pronger of the Philadelphia Flyers skates against the Vancouver Canucks at the Wells Fargo Center on October 12, 2011 in Philadelphia,...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1