Flyers 2020-21 season

Let me clear the air, I dont want this guy at the cost of a significant defenseman. If it takes Sanheim or Myers to get it done, I wouldnt do it. And any discussion involving Provy is nonsense.

Bit if a trade could happen involving some combination of ghost, Patrick, Laughton, maybe some prospect or pick, id be happy about that

Just a little tidbit to the previous comments, i was not a Carter hater

• Like 1

Interested in the perspective of you guys on this - 

Jets’ Best Trade Partners for Patrik Laine

BY ISAIAH WAGNER
THE HOCKEY WRITERS

Philadelphia Flyers

Laine would slot in very well for the Flyers as their top-line right winger. Jakub Voracek is getting old at 31 years of age. an injection of the younger Laine on to the top line would be lethal beside playmaker Claude Giroux and defensive forward Sean Couturier. Travis Konecny had a breakout season last year for the team, so he and Laine could be a great one-two punch on the right side of the forwards.

The Jets have many players on the Flyers that they would be interested in for production now and in the future. Konecny, Joel Farabee, Nolan Patrick, Morgan Frost, and Shayne Gostisbehere would be notable names who could be included.

Nolan Patrick

A potential swap could look like Winnipeg native Patrick, Gostisbehere, and a 2021 first-round pick for Laine. This price may not be enough for the Flyers to sway the Jets, but it is a start in a long negotiation process.

Nolan Patrick - Hometown: Winnipeg, Manitoba

SWAP JERSEYS?

Nolan Patrick of the Philadelphia Flyers and Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets fight for the puck in the second period at Wells Fargo Center on...

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I've said it before and will say it again. Hockey came fairly easy to young Patrick. He was big and he had a great shot. All world.

He has not had to put the work in to be an elite player. He doesn't have good work habits. His skating is not appreciably better after four years in the league. His preferred mode is to be playing video games. He has an adolescent mind.

And I think the asking price is too steep. Like you said, teams have kicked the tires on him and all chose to not buy the car.

The other view of Patrik Laine to the Flyers is:

On a bad Winnipeg team and average linemates, young Laine, in a prorated 82 game season, averaged 38 goals.

Patrik Laine

2019-20    Winnipeg    NHL    68    28    35    63    8    
2018-19    Winnipeg    NHL    82    30    20    50    -24
2017-18    Winnipeg    NHL    82    44    26    70    8    
2016-17    Winnipeg    NHL    73    36    28    64    7    

Surprisingly, in 3 of his 4 seasons (age 18 to 21), he was a 'plus' player.

Put Laine with quality playmaking linemates, and he may be a 40+ goal scorer for many years. Especially considering that at age 22, he has not yet fully matured in committment and drive and has not yet reached his peak. Wow!

Yes, you are right about his maturity level. But, he is 22 years old. We think about what he may be when he matures and develops a hard-work ethic with that awesome talent level. This guy is now a goal scoring machine - - and will grow into an awsome goal producer when he gets good linemates, good coaching, good team, and matures.

That said, I agree with you guys that there is a bigger picture - - cost in trade assets and Cap Management. And our current Flyers team is a very good team and will score goals.

However, if the trade asset cost is manageable, then the reward could be awesome.

Winnipeg is in desperate need of a second-line center and a top-four defenceman. If Fletcher can get Laine for any variation of this package, then do it:

- Patrick C or Frost C (Winnipeg's choice)
- Ghost D
- York D or Wylie D (Winnipeg's choice)
- JVR or Voracek (Winnipeg's choice) - required to be included for Flyers Cap Management
- 1st Rounder 2021 Draft

I agree with you guys - - no way giving Provorov/Sanheim/Myers. Or Zamula.

Travis Sanheim and Philippe Myers of the Philadelphia Flyers jump to the ice on a shift change against the Carolina Hurricanes on November 5, 2019 at...

Edited by Zzeke

3 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

- Ghost D
- JVR or Voracek (Winnipeg's choice) - required to be included for Flyers Cap Management
- 1st Rounder 2021 Draft

I don't believe the Jets make this deal. It's quantity over quality.

37 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

@Zzeke

Mike McKenna

Damn !!  You guys are too good at this Flyers history and recognition stuff. I'ma gonna find another Board!

Contest points tabulation coming.

Next Saturday 12 N will have a Flyers Photo that guaranteed nobody on this Board will get !!

Good job P25. Good score.

Shjon Podein of the Philadelphia Flyers scores a first period goal past John Vanbiesbrouck of the New York Rangers during the 2012 Bridgestone NHL...

34 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

- Ghost D
- 1st Rounder 2021 Draft

If Fletcher makes a trade like that for Laine,  he deserves to be fired. York and Frost/ Patrick are non-starters in any trade talk.  Remember it's the Jets who has the onus on them to move Laine.  The onus isn't on Philadelphia to acquire him.  It makes no sense gutting the farm for him. Right now, I'd offer the following:

Brink

Cates

Attard

Ghost

JVR

Philadelphia 1st in 2022

Let's look at things from this angle. If the Flyers acquire Laine,  that's Laine,  Voracek and Konecny on the right side.  Where do you put Brink? There's no space. 

As for Cates,  he's a Maurice type player.  He does all the things that Maurice likes in players.  

Attard is right handed defense prospect with some size and meanness to boot and he's got decent offensive skills. 

Ghost and JVR are the roster players that the Jets want and the Flyers keep their 2021 pick while surrendering the 2022 pick.  Because of the uncertainty around this season,  it makes no sense to give up this pick.  

If that's not good enough for the Jets,  then good luck trying to get something from other clubs. The Jets get three legit prospects and a 1st, plus two roster players who can fit in right away. And I bet Ghost has a monster season there. As for JVR,  get him on the top two lines,  he gets 25 to 30 goals,  gets picked in the expansion Draft and Winnipeg has an extra $7 million to play with.  That's huge. 

• Like 3

If you trade them Brink, you dont have to worry about having room for him

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for JVR,  get him on the top two lines,  he gets 25 to 30 goals

not in Philly it doesnt.

But i'd love to see him traded

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Damn !!  You guys are too good at this Flyers history and recognition stuff. I'ma gonna find another Board!

You have to realize many of us here have been around the block a few times and have been Flyer fans for years. I personally started following the Flyers near the tail end of 1970’s. That puts me being a fan for 40+ years. I remember the old LCB line and I balled my eyes out when Pelle was killed (RIP). 

I love your energy.... keep it up! 😊

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Gustafsson

you are correct that he is the current owner of #56....however, I was thinking of Giroux who wore #56 for 2 games during the 07-08 season. He switched to #28 the following year (08-09).

2007-08 Claude Giroux Philadelphia Flyers Game Worn Jersey - Rookie - #56 -  1st NHL Home Jersey - Photo Match – Team Letter: GAMEWORNAUCTIONS.NET

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

If you trade them Brink, you dont have to worry about having room for him

not in Philly it doesnt.

But i'd love to see him traded

That's why I put Brink in there.  As for JVR,  he's not a fit with what Vigneault wants to use as a system. Moving JVR also allows Farabee to be moved back to his natural position on the left side.  I suppose if Winnipeg is looking for more you could throw them O'brien. Hated the pick then, still hate it now..... lol

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If Fletcher makes a trade like that for Laine,  he deserves to be fired. York and Frost/ Patrick are non-starters in any trade talk.  Remember it's the Jets who has the onus on them to move Laine.  The onus isn't on Philadelphia to acquire him.  It makes no sense gutting the farm for him. Right now, I'd offer the following:

Brink

Cates

Attard

Ghost

JVR

Philadelphia 1st in 2022

Let's look at things from this angle. If the Flyers acquire Laine,  that's Laine,  Voracek and Konecny on the right side.  Where do you put Brink? There's no space. 

As for Cates,  he's a Maurice type player.  He does all the things that Maurice likes in players.  

Attard is right handed defense prospect with some size and meanness to boot and he's got decent offensive skills. 

Ghost and JVR are the roster players that the Jets want and the Flyers keep their 2021 pick while surrendering the 2022 pick.  Because of the uncertainty around this season,  it makes no sense to give up this pick.  

If that's not good enough for the Jets,  then good luck trying to get something from other clubs. The Jets get three legit prospects and a 1st, plus two roster players who can fit in right away. And I bet Ghost has a monster season there. As for JVR,  get him on the top two lines,  he gets 25 to 30 goals,  gets picked in the expansion Draft and Winnipeg has an extra $7 million to play with.  That's huge. 

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I respect your opinion. But, disagree some.

>> York and Frost/ Patrick are non-starters in any trade talk <<

I am also very high on York/Frost/Patrick. But, when looking at the big picture, losing York and Frost or Patrick in a package for Laine is well worth it IMO.

Laine, at age 22, is already a proven big goal scorer in the NHL. Again, put him with quality linemates like Couturier and Giroux and he is a sure-fire 40+ goals per season for the next 10 years. And, as this kid matures, he is only going to get better and better.

As you said, 'that's Laine, Voracek and Konecny on the right side' [for this 2020-21 season]. I was projecting RW Sandin on that right side vacancy. But, add Laine's 40+ goals and that translates into many additional wins as this Flyers team is a SC threat in the near term.

>> 'where do you put Brink? There's no space'. << 

Brink is a good prospect at age 19. He is headed back to the University of Denver for year 2 and then probably turning pro with our Phantoms for 1 season. He has 2 high quality RW prospects ahead of him: Sandin and Allison. We wouldn't want to quash a potential deal for the NHL proven Laine because we are waiting for 3 seasons for Brink.

>> As for Cates, he's a Maurice type player. He does all the things that Maurice likes in players. <<

Likewise, LW Noah Cates, soon to be 22, is a good prospect. But he is somewhat down on the Flyers LW prospect depth chart behind Ratcliffe, Kase, and Twarynski.

>> 'Attard is right handed defense prospect with some size and meanness to boot and he's got decent offensive skills.' <<

Yes, your right. But, the 21 YO defenceman Attard is also way down on the Flyers Defence prospect depth chart behind Zamula, Wylie, York, Hogberg, Andrae, and maybe even Friedman (who is ready now) and Morin. 

Winnipeg is re-shaping their team to win now as well as the future. It's been reported that they want contributors now at 2C and a top-4 Defencman (see earlier post).

All GMs have a feel for the other teams depth charts including the Jets GM Cheveldayoff. RW Brink, LW Cates, and D Attard would not be attractive to them as primary pieces in a package for Laine IMO.

>> 'Ghost and JVR are the roster players that the Jets want.' <<

Disagree. They may be a nice add-on in a package, but Winnipeg wants at least one high-profile player in the package for the high-profile Laine. That is why I suggested including Patrick - or - Frost in the package as their needed 2C.

LW JVR, age 31, with 3 yrs remaining on his contract at a 7 M Cap Hit all 3 years, is a high probability to be traded or bought-out by Fletcher. Although some like to look at his 19 goals, in this new NHL with speed and quickness, JVR is regressing. In the offensive zone, his lack of 'puck-pursuit quickness' is glaring. He is being beat continually. That is why he was benched for much of the playoffs. And, the team has other options for net-front work on the Power-Play. JVR is clearly on the down-side of his career. Winnipeg knows this.

Ghost. I'm with you BCF16. He still has some value at age 27 and hopefully returning to form as a quality offensive defenceman limited in the D-zone (I chose 'limited' over 'liability' or 'sub-par'.)

Fletcher has been trying to trade Ghost prior to this coming June Expansion Draft so that he gets some compensation rather than losing him to the Seattle Kraken. No takers so far. Hopefully Winnipeg would like Ghost in the package, but he would not be the top-4 type 'all-zones defenceman' they want.

So, IMO - - 

RWBrink
LW Cates
D Attard
D Ghost, 
RW JVR
1st Rounder in 2022 

- - doesn't do it for Winnipeg. Far short on quality in return for the burgeoning star 40+ goal RW Laine.

I'll stick with - - 

If Fletcher can get Laine for any variation of this package, then do it:

- Ghost D
- 1st Rounder 2021 Draft

Good discussion on this trade topic. Your opinion is very valued.

Laine just scores goals - - big time. 40+ with Courturier and Giroux.

Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets takes a shot on goal against the Philadelphia Flyers on March 10, 2018 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia,...

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's why I put Brink in there.  As for JVR,  he's not a fit with what Vigneault wants to use as a system. Moving JVR also allows Farabee to be moved back to his natural position on the left side.  I suppose if Winnipeg is looking for more you could throw them O'brien. Hated the pick then, still hate it now..... lol

i'd trade jvr for some used stick tape and a ride on a minor league zamboni

as for Laine, WPG wants players they can use now. One prospect and a pick for sure. I dont see them moving him for a boat load of unproven talent

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

You have to realize many of us here have been around the block a few times and have been Flyer fans for years. I personally started following the Flyers near the tail end of 1970’s. That puts me being a fan for 40+ years. I remember the old LCB line and I balled my eyes out when Pelle was killed (RIP). 

I love your energy.... keep it up! 😊

@pilldoc

Ahh, Thx. Good group of guys here. Sharp. Fun.

I'm very old. Very retired. Flyers STH for 35 years starting year two in 68'-69'. Had/have a Flyers player as a friend.

A zillion experiences. Example: some in this thread are talking Carter, it reminded me of having breakfast in Voorhees with a hockey buddy and Carter and Scottie Upshall (they just had coffee) joined us at our table to chat prior to practice one morning. Fun time.

And, one of the highlight experiences in the 90's is when after practice, my Flyers' player friend (can't name him here) took us to the pizza place and included Lindros and Robby DiMaio. A fun lunch. So many stories - - . Tocchet, Recchi, Roenick - - - 

Watching Cowboy Flett fly across the ice. Behn Wilson pound payers, nobody wanted to fight him.

The night Bobby Clark scored his 1,000 point watching with my lady friend visiting from Manitoba!

And, the night Hextal scored the goal vs Boston.

Two Stanley Cup Parades.

And, being at the 2014 Draft watching GM Hextall meet with other GMs on the floor to discuss trades and all the trade speculation with my hockey buddies. (Flyers selected some defenceman named Sanheim with the 17th pick. Don't know how he turned out? 😉

So many memories. Sorry - - got carried away.

Pelle. I drove past that curve, and those cement steps, many times and had a lump in my throat. Sad.

Good Board here. Thx.

cut.jpg

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 2

Okayyyy - let's get this season started - 

GARY BETTMAN COM, NHL

The NHL has a call with the Board of Governors scheduled for noon ET on Sunday.

That's in addition to the call with the general managers, which is scheduled for 2pm ET on Sunday. The NHL and NHLPA have reached an agreement for a 56-game season and the NHLPA has already endorsed it, but the NHL Board of Governors still has to ratify the agreement. That makes this upcoming call with the Board of Governors a key one. As previously reported, the call with the general managers will serve to answer questions team personnel have about the upcoming season. If all goes well, we could see the 2020-21 campaign begin on Jan. 13, though that's still subject to change.

Dec 19, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

In this photo illustration a National Hockey League logo seen displayed on a smartphone with a computer model of the COVID-19 coronavirus the...
Edited by Zzeke

33 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Ahh, Thx. Good group of guys here. Sharp. Fun.

Thanks ..glad you decided to join our community.

34 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

A zillion experiences. Example: some in this thread are talking Carter, it reminded me of having breakfast in Voorhees with a hockey buddy and Carter and Scottie Upshall (they just had coffee) joined us at our table to chat prior to practice one morning. Fun time.

And, one of the highlight experiences in the 90's is when after practice, my Flyers' player friend (can't name him here) took us to the pizza place and included Lindros and Robby DiMaio. A fun lunch. So many stories - - . Tocchet, Recchi, Roenick - - -

I have similar experiences when I live in Va Bch for a period of my life back in the early 2000's before I move back to PA.  Many memories being on the Ice Crew at the Scope in Norfolk, home of the Admirals (AHL Team to the Blackhawks at the time).  Met a ton of players. Had Craig Anderson (Goalie for Ottawa) over to my home for dinner.  Filled many prescriptions for players and their families.  Went out drinking with the guys from the WBS Baby Pens.  Highlight was meeting Vladislav Tretiak, former goalie for Russian during the 1980 Olympics. To this day he swears he still has no idea why he was pulled from that game.  Super nice guys. 

Like you so many stories and so many players I had a chance to interact with players off the ice.  I never asked for sticks, gloves, jerseys, and I only have 1 autograph ...well several actually.  They were giving away large team posters.  When they found out I was moving from Va Bch back to PA, one of the Player Personnel Managers had the entire team sign it for me.  My other treasure is a personalized autograph from from Lindros as a wedding present from my buddy in college whom I was his Best Man.  It is sign "To Doc, Wishing you all the Best. Eric."

So yeah I get were you are coming from.  Best part was that they got to know me and trust me.  I still remember driving Colby Armstrong and some of his teammates from the WBS Baby Pens to the night clubs on the VA BCH boardwalk, when he saw my Walgreens Pharmacist badge and he exclaimed...."You went to college and have a degree! That is so cool and awesome!" 

Agree so many stories and memories.

45 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

And, the night Hextall scored the goal vs Boston.

I was in college watching in the common room. What a great night!

46 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Two Stanley Cup Parades

I'm jealous. ;)  I was only toddler then...lol

47 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

So many memories. Sorry - - got carried away.

No worries ... I love hearing stories / swapping stories with fellow members.

@pilldoc

19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I have similar experiences when I live in Va Bch for a period of my life back in the early 2000's before I move back to PA.  Many memories being on the Ice Crew at the Scope in Norfolk, home of the Admirals (AHL Team to the Blackhawks at the time).  Met a ton of players. Had Craig Anderson (Goalie for Ottawa) over to my home for dinner.  Filled many prescriptions for players and their families.  Went out drinking with the guys from the WBS Baby Pens.  Highlight was meeting Vladislav Tretiak, former goalie for Russian during the 1980 Olympics. To this day he swears he still has no idea why he was pulled from that game.  Super nice guys. 

Like you so many stories and so many players I had a chance to interact with players off the ice.  I never asked for sticks, gloves, jerseys, and I only have 1 autograph ...well several actually.  They were giving away large team posters.  When they found out I was moving from Va Bch back to PA, one of the Player Personnel Managers had the entire team sign it for me.  My other treasure is a personalized autograph from from Lindros as a wedding present from my buddy in college whom I was his Best Man.  It is sign "To Doc, Wishing you all the Best. Eric."

So yeah I get were you are coming from.  Best part was that they got to know me and trust me.  I still remember driving Colby Armstrong and some of his teammates from the WBS Baby Pens to the night clubs on the VA BCH boardwalk, when he saw my Walgreens Pharmacist badge and he exclaimed...."You went to college and have a degree! That is so cool and awesome!" 

Agree so many stories and memories.

Very cooool stuff. Thx.

pilldoc, here is your new avatar - a perfect graphical representation of your persona:

Hockey player in blue and red running on ice skates Hockey player in blue and red running on ice skates, lot of pills flying behind. Athlete isolated on white background. Flat vector sign. Medicine in winter sport, doping theme. Addiction stock vector

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

Today - - Today - - Our Flyers are on TV with a

'live' game at 6 PM ET.

Sunday, Dec 20, 2020

Our Flyers' highly touted prospects - - - 

Cam York (D)

Bobby Brink (RW)

- - - are playing a pre-tournament game in the World Junior Championships in Edmonton. York/Brink are key players for Team USA vs Switzerland today.

Team USA is considered a favorite to win the Gold Medal in the tourney which begins on Dec 25.

Today's game with Flyers players is on the NHL Network in the US at 6 PM ET. Our Eagles game is at 4 PM ET, so one of these games can be recorded.

Sadly, TSN in Canada is not covering this game. Sorry for member P25 here. TSN's first coverage will be on Tuesday Dec 22, USA vs Finland.

Yes! 'LIVE" hockey today with Flyers' players.

Cam York
Age 19
SCOUTING REPORT
An excellent skater with a very smooth stride, he is adept at joining the rush and putting up points. He also displays very good hockey sense, and he defends his position rather well. Lacks size and strength, so he needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger for the highest level. His quickness and hockey savvy make him a constant threat in transition. Long Range Potential: Swift-skating, talented defenseman with upside.

[Flyers AGM] Flahr called York an “elite skater” who needs to improve his strength before he’s ready to turn pro. “He’s very smart. He’s good moving the puck, and he’s got a strong offensive dimension," he said. "For him, it’s just being able to handle the bigger, stronger guys at the pro level and being able to handle the rigors of the NHL’s 82-game schedule.”

Bobby Brink (RW)
SCOUTING REPORT
A quick, shifty forward who is quite heady, he has a deadly shot and excellent hockey sense (he knows where to go to score goals). Despite a lack of size and strength, he goes to the tough areas of the ice willingly in order to score. While his heart is big, and he is both feisty and gritty, he will always have to prove himself against bigger opponents as he climbs the ladder. Long Range Potential: Diminutive but smart, sharpshooting winger with good upside.

cut.jpg

Edited by Zzeke

Interesting - 

GARY BETTMAN
COM, NHL

Bob McKenzie is reporting that the NHL season will end on May 8.
It has been widely reported that the season will begin on January 13 but the end date was unknown until now. That's 56 games in 115 days or 16.5 weeks. The NHL Entry Draft is expected to take place on July 23-24 with free agency beginning on July 28. That should set the 2021-22 season to begin in early October as the NHL gets back on track. One thing left to decide is when the expansion draft for Seattle takes place, with the date obviously being before the Entry Draft.

SOURCE: Bob McKenzie on Twitter
Dec 20, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

No mention of the Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft. I guess we can assume the advertised June 2021 is still good.