Flyers 2020-21 season

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

4th Line???

Yes.

And it would be in an injury situation I am sure.

I have no problem with them looking at all assets.

A few of us said they should have tried this a long time ago with Ghost.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

According to Sam Carchidi Giroux is dead or dying or someshit. So scratch him.

Ultimately, I think there is some "doing the kid a solid" with this announcement, and I don't think that's the worst thing an organization can do. 

Kid's had terrible injury luck, has worked hard to try to make it back, the team is finding a way to reward him.

Even if it doesn't work out, I'd like to think the Flyers did right by Sam.

That and let's be honest this team is soft and miss the physical play forwards like Hartnell, Simmonds and the Brayden Schenn's brought to the forward group.

So why not try and add some grit toughness to the lineup.

They need it. Ratcliffe was suppose to be that guy but he has struggle to use his size to his advantage like we seen some much in juniors.

And with that I don't mean blow em up highlight body checks or anything like that, but learning to use your size/frame to lean on the opposition some and even speakers them from the puck or to use your body to distance them from the puck.

Pronger was great at this. Can Sammy do this?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ratcliffe was suppose to be that guy but he has struggle to use his size to his advantage like we seen some much in juniors.

Saw him in Hershey last year before the COVID halt, he was reed thin. Super tall but really skinny, needs 15-20 lbs of man weight before he's ready to throw it around.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Saw him in Hershey last year before the COVID halt, he was reed thin. Super tall but really skinny, needs 15-20 lbs of man weight before he's ready to throw it around.  

Exactly 6-6 201 is just to small for that frame.

It works vs teenagers in juniors not vs grown men in the AHL.

Got to eat them protein shakes/steaks and spike that insulin and hit the heavy weights.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So in no particular order we:

Giroux

Farabee

Lindblom

JVR

so where would you put Morin?

4th Line??? I don’t want Morin displacing any of the above. I may not be a JVR fan but even JVR will have more experience at LW than Morin.

I seriously don’t get this move at all......

On the 6-player Taxi Squad, which travels with the team, for this 56-game season. Play Morin situationally if/when needed. Think Malkin. (Re-evaluate Morin for the 2021-22 season.)

• Like 1

This afternoon's report by Jordan Hall at NBC Sports is helpful - - 

After suffering a pair of torn ACLs in a span of 19 months, Samuel Morin put it honestly on Thursday:

"I'm fighting for my career right now."

He's willing to try anything.

Morin, a 6-foot-6 defenseman selected by the Flyers in the first round of the 2013 draft, is attempting to switch his position to left winger.

Head coach Alain Vigneault and assistant coach Ian Laperriere approached Morin about the idea in the offseason. Morin was initially a little "shocked," he said, but after discussing it with his agent, the two felt it was a good avenue for the 25-year-old to return to the ice and continue his career in Philly.

Morin, a happy-go-lucky, persistent player, is excited for the opportunity as the Flyers get set to open training camp Jan. 3. Morin has been working on the position switch for the past couple of months. He said he played forward a few years in minor hockey but quickly switched to defenseman.

Vigneault and the Flyers felt they needed more size up front, especially after the team's second-round exit in the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs. As Morin has endured unfortunate injuries, the club has gotten deeper on defense.

Morin's second torn ACL occurred in November 2019. Although he believes he can still have a career as a defenseman, he's heading into January 2021 as a left winger for now.

“I think it’s going to be a challenge no matter what we do, he hasn’t played a lot of hockey in the last three years," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said Thursday in a video interview. "We’re pretty deep on defense right now and with the uncertainty surrounding the American Hockey League, we feel this is the best opportunity for Sam to be with our club. [Read Taxi Squad]

"Certainly his size, his skating and his physicality are elements that we feel our team could use. In an ideal world, if the American League is going, maybe you could have him getting some reps on defense and growing his game, and at some point that could still become a reality again, but for right now, to have Sam part of our group, and with that size and that physicality; he’s been working hard for a couple of months now on this transition and working at it. We think there’s a realistic chance that he can positively impact our team in that role.”

Over the last three seasons, Morin has played a total of 31 pro games — 23 with the Phantoms (three of them in the postseason) and eight with the Flyers.

GettyImages-878640014-1024x721.jpg

As Fletcher said, with the depth, no openings for Sam Morin on the long-term Flyers defence:

Upcoming Seasons:

Provorov - Gustafsson (re-signed after Expansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula

#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH) (good chance Hagg is lost in Expansion Draft)

The more I read about this, the signs point to - 

The Flyers depth chart for LW is:

Claude Giroux
Oskar Lindblom
Joel Farabee (can play RW)
James van Riemsdyk (for the time he is here)
Michael Raffl (final season and UFA)
Connor Bunnaman

And, as Fletcher said, with the depth on defence, there are no openings for Sam Morin on the long-term Flyers defence:

Upcoming Seasons:
Provorov - Gustafsson (re-signed after Expansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula
#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH) (good chance Hagg is lost in Expansion Draft)

Fletcher/Flahr/AV most likely are planning for LW Morin to be on the 6-player Taxi Squad that will travel with the team during this 56-game season. 

Morin could be activated to the Flyers game-day roster if/when needed. Example: playing 8 games vs Pittsburgh and the dirty Malkin. Just ask Giroux and Raffl if they would like Morin selectively on the bench/ice to act as a deterent or punisher. They both have been almost beheaded by Malkin. We saw the YouTube compilation of Malkin's dirty play against the Flyers. And then, there is Crosby. And then, there is the Caps Wilson who runs around smashing Flyers, etc.

Our Flyers need some toughness, as Fletcher said.

Sam Morin's status can be re-evaluated for the 2021-22 season.

This 56-game season - - Morin on the Taxi Squad as a LW, and also as an emergency defenceman if injuries and COVID take their toll on the defencmen on the roster and Taxi Squad.

Deterence. Selectively inserted. Anyone agree - or - disagree?

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers lands a punch during a first-period fight against Bobby Farnham of the New York Rangers during a preseason...

Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon.

Standings (of those who have participated)

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
1 flyercanuck
0 pilldoc

12/5/20 CoachX - - - Hexy and Gretzky

12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Behn Wilson
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Mark Friedman

12/19/20 Podein25 - - - Mike McKenna

12/26/20 flyercanuck - - - Forsberg and Kapanen

This Saturday, Jan 2, nobody will get the answer. Not even veteran Flyers fans/members P25 and CX. Guaranteed.

It's a Flyers' tough guy. Don't bother to research. You won't get it. It will be the first complete 'strike-out' by all.

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf378

28 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
1 flyercanuck
0 pilldoc

This Saturday, Jan 2, nobody will get the answer. Not even veteran Flyers fans/members P25 and CX. Guaranteed.

It's a Flyers' tough guy. Don't bother to research. You won't get it. It will be the first complete 'strike-out' by all.

I'll go with Ed  Hospodar 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
1 flyercanuck
0 pilldoc

ok... let’s remove the obvious names then.. it’s not:

Rick Tocchet

Dave “Hammer” Schultz

Bob “hound dog” Kelley

Andre “Moose” DuPont 

Without knowing the question I will go with either:

Gary Dornhoefer ....or

Flyer original Ed Van Impe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'll go with Ed  Hospodar 

@ruxpin

Wow! Correct! How did you do that? Flyers Ed 'Boxcar' Hospodar.

As an enforcer, he was best known for being one of the instigators of a pregame brawl between the Montreal Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers in the Montreal Forum prior to game six of the Wales Conference finals on May 14, 1987, an act which earned him a suspension for the remainder of that year's playoffs.

The fight that changed hockey

More than one Flyer had told the Canadiens' Claude Lemieux not to end the pregame warm-up by shooting a puck into the Flyers' empty net. Lemieux's ritual, much like his personality, had crawled under the Flyers' skin like a 200-pound tick. "Don't do it, Claude," Hospodar had said and, for a moment, it appeared as though Lemieux would listen.

But after the Flyers left the ice, Lemieux and teammate Shayne Corson sneaked back out with a puck to shoot into the Philadelphia net.

It took only seconds for the Montreal-Philadelphia pregame spark to become a three-alarm blaze. Hospodar and backup goalie Chico Resch raced back onto the ice when they saw Lemieux and Corson.

Soon players from both teams poured out of the dressing rooms and an all out brawl littered the ice. Overlooked at the time was how Flyers' coach Mike Keenan had dressed 24 skaters for the warm-ups. Montreal had 18 and two goalies. Again, those were the days.

"We dressed a lot of guys," Brown acknowledged. "[Lemieux's pregame ritual] was a silly thing. But if he was going to do it, we weren't going to put up with it."

NO, NO, NO. Incorrect. Not Hospodar. Tune in on Saturday at 12 Noon. Nobody will get it!

Flyers Enforcer Ed 'Boxcar' Hospodar

Ed Hospodar Getting To Know Ed Hospodar The Hockey News

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Rick Tocchet

Dave “Hammer” Schultz

Bob “hound dog” Kelley

Andre “Moose” DuPont 

Gary Dornhoefer ....or

Hmm. Good thinking.

But - - 

Incorrect. Nobody will get this one. Tune in Saturday at 12 Noon.

4 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Morin could be activated to the Flyers game-day roster if/when needed. Example: playing 8 games vs Pittsburgh and the dirty Malkin. Just ask Giroux and Raffl if they would like Morin selectively on the bench/ice to act as a deterent or punisher. They both have been almost beheaded by Malkin. We saw the YouTube compilation of Malkin's dirty play against the Flyers. And then, there is Crosby. And then, there is the Caps Wilson who runs around smashing Flyers, etc.

Dirty play by Pittsburgh's Malkin.

Also dirty play by the Vancouver Canucks - - distracting opposition players in the penalty box to keep them from focusing on the game on the ice:

This is why we need Sam Morin at LW. 😏

Edited by pilldoc
Please be careful what images are posted as some are not NSFW

40 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Hmm. Good thinking.

But - - 

Incorrect. Nobody will get this one. Tune in Saturday at 12 Noon.

My eyes are doing weird things now. 

When I initially answered, I interpreted the Flyer skating toward us. Now I'm seeing him facing the opposite way and now a lefthanded shooter. 

As I'm typing this, I'm going back and forth. 

If it's a right handed shooter coming toward us as I originally thought, my last guess is Rick Tocchet. 

Edited by ruxpin

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

My eyes are doing weird things now. 

When I initially answered, I interpreted the Flyer skating toward us. Now I'm seeing him facing the opposite way and now a lefthanded shooter. 

As I'm typing this, I'm young back and forth. 

If it's a right handed shooter coming toward us as I originally thought, my last guess is Rick Tocchet. 

@ruxpin

Hmm. Sharp observation by you. However, this image is not the contest question. It's just the every Thursday advertisement reminder to tune-in to Saturday's 12 Noon Flyers Photo contest for the mystery photo.

In the first 5 Saturdays, I have been amazed at how quickly members got the answer. And some were very hard. As a rookie, I'm learning that there are sharp Flyers fans here.

But, but, but - - not this coming Saturday. The new Flyers Photo of a 'Flyers player in a fight' is toooo hard. Nobody will get it.

Edited by Zzeke

25 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

@ruxpin

Hmm. Sharp observation by you. However, this image is not the contest question. It's just the every Thursday advertisement reminder to tune-in to Saturday's 12 Noon Flyers Photo contest for the mystery photo.

In the first 5 Saturdays, I have been amazed at how quickly members got the answer. And some were very hard. As a rookie, I'm learning that there are sharp Flyers fans here.

But, but, but - - not this coming Saturday. The new Flyers Photo of a 'Flyers player in a fight' is toooo hard. Nobody will get it.

Ah!  Okay! 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, Zzeke said:

@Legion of Doom

Good stuff LOD.

With my forward lines projection, I also see the value of integrating young players for reasons of talent, Cap Management, and 'don't let much of the team suddenly get old and drop off together'.

Hence, my posted forward lines:

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)

#13-Raffl
#14-JVR until he can be moved somehow
If Patrick not healthy, then Frost at 3C.

Our 4th Lines - both work. I like the 32 YO Raffl. But, he is in his final year of his contract @ 1.6 M Cap Hit. Having 22 YO Bunnaman continue his good work with Laughton and NAK is of great value. Laughton/Bunnaman/NAK were excellent together during the late season surge and in the bubble playoffs. Bunnaman will continue to get better and better in that 4th line role. Don't have him idle in favor of Raffl. Raffl is ideal as a #13 who can be plugged in virtually anywhere in the 4 lines temporarily due to injury or poor play of a teammate.

The biggest difference in our postings of the forward lines is JVR.

I also like JVR - - - but there is more - - -

- JVR just does not have the physical tools anymore. He does not have the skating required. His reactions to loose pucks is not good. He lacks the reaction-time and quickness required to pursue. Can we visualize puck-pursuit competition in the offensive zone that we have observed? JVR gets beat-out continually. That is a drag on his line's performance. This is why AV benched JVR for most of the bubble playoff games.

- At 6-3, 217, age 31, his body has slowed down. His NHL career of 10 years and 802 games has caught up with him.

- A players 'overall game' in all 3 zones is important to the success of the team.

-  And, JVR is not a candidate for the 4th line LW. Av's 4th line profile is hard skating, hard forechecking, pin the other team in their own end, defensive work, PK duty. Not a fit for JVR.

- Also, coaches don't set their lines/pairings based on past goals scored, but on who is playing well currently. Same with 'coaches don't play players based on their salary or Cap Hit', but on who is playing well, who can contribute to winning now.

- Older players in decline will get replaced with younger players. Good GMs will try to trade a player before his value decline makes him untradeable.

- Our Flyers are rich in high value prospects. They need to be sequentially introduced into the NHL team - - not wait until all the veterans are in significant decline together. In our Flyers case, JVR, Voracek, and Giroux will need to be replaced in the near-term years sequentially. JVR first, because of his clear attribute decline.

- Plus, the 24 YO Sandin is ready for the NHL:

Sandin is a high-scoring RW. He finished the SHL season tied for third in scoring with 19 goals and 36 points in 51 games. The SHL is a strong pro league and the top pro league in Sweden.

Our Flyers beat out Boston to sign Sandin who can play both wings. Boston wanted him, but Sandin leaned toward our Flyers because he is friends with Hagg (same town), Lindblom, and Gustafsson.

Fletcher said the 6-foot-1, 209-pound Sandin will “come into camp and compete for a spot on our team right away. He works extremely hard and we expect him to add size, skill, and tenacity to our forward group.”

The emergence of Sandin, Laczynski, and Allison, along with Frost (C), is the reason that Fletcher allowed UFAs Pitlick, Grant, and Thompson to leave. Need to make roster room. Actually, Fletcher/Flahr said that Sandin (RW), Laczynski (C/LW/RW), and Allison (RW) all have a chance at that 3RW spot. IMO, Sandin has the best chance because he is a proven pro (SHL) and is a scorer and is responsible in all 3 zones. Sandin is a middle-6 NHL forward.

The only other significant difference in our posted lines is what happens if 3C Patrick is not healthy. IMO, Frost is ready as a 3C (not at wing anyplace).

Good stuff LOD. Your perspective is appreciated.

(Flyers defence in next post.)

ZZ

Linus Sandin kritar på för Flyers

2005925.jpg

With my forward line for the coming year, I see what the coaching staff has done in the past with veteran players for reasons of known value/talent. Cap management is already fixated in the lineup. The veteran lineup is a known commodity. Coaches play this system very often.
--------------------------------------------------------------

This is my forward line projection:

Forward line is probably already set.   

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Lindblom- Patrick - Konecny

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

Do not let this fact escape you. We need to hold on to our young talent. The sad fact is that most likely we will not be able to keep all our players if they shoot up as above average/possible All Stars talent. They are going to eventually want more money and term then we are going to be able to afford. Keeping our younger talent  will allow us to keep our window of a Stanley Cup open for consecutive win opportunities for years to come. 
---------------------------------------------------------

Raffle is a known quantity and is better than Bunnaman now. Raffle works out very hard in the offseason and is stronger.
Bunnaman can play in the AHL and work on other aspects of his game so that he can be playing top line minutes/all situations and round out his game. When Raffle retires/not extended, then Bunnaman is a solid option by then. There is no rush to bring him up permanently. Bunnaman in the AHL "Playing top minutes" will keep him revved and never idled, while the favored Raffle will finish out his service. Then if available still can slip in as a thirteenth all situational player.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh yes, JAY VEE ARRRRH!

Hated by most......understood by few. 

The optics seem accurate at first, second and even at third glance.
None the less.

JVR HAS the physical tools to be in all situations AND the mental acumen to excel.
The difference is, is that he plays like a cat and doesn't want to get his feet wet often. He has the ability to play like a TIGER and pounce and athletically accomplish his will. Unfortunately the Tiger might never come out again.

He takes very good care of himself after games and works on longevity and recovery.
Mojo even chimed in with what I saw as well: "JVR was one of the Flyers best 5 v 5 players last year...with all of his faults, somehow he managed to have a good year."   - Mojo
Will JVR be able to replicate last season as the boiler plate or what's to expected from here on out?  He was noticeable in the playoffs as a positive in how he played. He played better than the ones who should of shined. That is the more - - - 

---------------------------------------------------------------

All players come and go. Just as G, Jake, Coots will one day hang up the skates, JVR is still younger than two of the three. JVR will hang up his laces as well, this will not be that year. G will hang up his skates one day...it will not be today. Jake will eventually have to hang up his skates but that day will never come next year.

When the youngsters can chew more than they can bite, then, will be the day they take on more responsibility, that day will come; but not this year.

Sandin is one I am excited to see, as was Raffle when he flew in from overseas. Will he flourish? Time will tell. I think he will probably replace Raffle in a few years if things go as plan.
Allison is someone I've been wanting to see for quite some years now, am interested how he does if put on a line with NAK.
Laczynski is also one that has piqued my interest as well.
Remember we still have Ratcliff and the main underpinning of Frost.
Will he be our Briere 2.0?
-----------------------------------------------------

When it comes to Patrick being healthy, the better optics is can Patrick stay in the lineup? Frost needs to get stronger and tougher, he will be targeted....that is a guarantee, other teams will circle him on the map. if he can develop evasiveness, that will serve him well in the long run and his career. Otherwise he will be canceled out as an effective player. This is just how things are and not a knock on him. I think he definitely has a chance in the NHL.

You bring expanded discussion on this bored....ZZ

Good stuff kid....

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Rick Tocchet

Dave “Hammer” Schultz

Bob “hound dog” Kelley

Andre “Moose” DuPont 

Gary Dornhoefer ....or

Donald Brashear

• Like 1

Hey if Morin is to skate north/ south and keep the opposition honest, that's a win.  We know he's a good skater, we know he's good defensively, we know he can lower the boom and he's got a hell of a shot. I think 8 to 10 minutes a night in a Clutterbuck/Martin role will suit him. He's not being asked to play a scoring role.  We know he's a heavy.  Plus,  if there are injuries on the blue line, you drop him back there and you keep that size in the lineup.  This is a critical year for Morin and he knows it. This is a guy who's going to be hungry and motivated.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We know he's a good skater, we know he's good defensively, we know he can lower the boom and he's got a hell of a shot.

We do?  Is this a scouting report from Juniors from 7 years ago?  He's 25 and outside of a half-season in the AHL (3+ years ago and two surgeries ago) he's been terrible.

I hate to rag on the guy but I do not get the fascination.  He likely won't be on the team this time next year.

Edited by SCFlyguy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

We do?  Is this a scouting report from Juniors from 7 years ago?  He's 25 and outside of a half-season in the AHL (3+ years ago and two surgeries ago) he's been terrible.

Injury is the big thing which derails young careers, and that's what happened with Sam Morin. He's too old to be a prospect and because he has the worst knees in the world, he hasn't played enough games. At this stage of his pro career, he's a warm body.

43 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I hate to rag on the guy but I do not get the fascination.  He likely won't be on the team this time next year.

Huge guys that can skate always get a team's attention and nets them extra opportunities, though his skating ability must have been hurt by the repeated ACL injuries.