Flyers 2020-21 season

3 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Fletcher said he and his staff had counted "eight players on the NHL roster that haven't come close to hitting their peak and to having their career seasons." "That's the exciting thing," Fletcher said. "That's our growth."

Hmm - 8 roster players:

1) Myers
2) Sanheim
3) Farabee
4) Konecny
5) Lindblom
6) Patrick (health permitting)
7) Aube-Kubel
8] Hart

Todays report from Carchidi  on Farabee -  

“The first year gave me a good idea of where I needed to be for my second year,” he [Farabee] said. “I spent a lot of time back at home working out, trying to build a lot of leg muscle and stuff like that. … So I’m definitely feeling strong, feeling good and ready to get going here.”

The added weight — Farabee is now at 185 pounds — should help him win more puck battles, which he has done early in training camp.

“I have taken notice of his protection skills and his one-on-one battles where he has been involved,” coach Alain Vigneault said. “There’s no doubt that’s going to be beneficial to him. He’s come here extremely prepared. He’s got almost a full year of experience with him starting last year in the minors, getting called up and obviously the stoppage of play. He’s a good young player who’s in his learning curve.”

Vigneault said Farabee, a first-round selection in 2018 (14th overall) who starred at Boston University in his one season there, “hasn’t reached his full potential yet, but he’s working real hard. I do think that extra muscle is going to help him moving forward here.”

cut.jpg

3 hours ago, Zzeke said:

More from Meltzer's report today as he highlights Giroux - - the Captain is wound-up for this season. Players and media have taken note of his intensity and drive. We sense a coming great season from Giroux.

* The competitiveness and physicality of the Day 2 scrimmage was higher than the first day, and Day 3 was significantly higher than Day 2. If you had to cite one particular player who drove the competitiveness higher, it would be Claude Giroux. The Flyers' captain, apart from making things happen with the puck, also was chirping, slashing and generally getting under the skin of Team Black's players.

121718_Flyers-Giroux_AP

More on Giroux on Jan 7 from the Transscript - 

Question: In a short camp, you guys are looking to crunch in as much as possible and get people as engaged as possible in the week that you have. Is it helpful to have a guy like Claude Giroux as a leader on the team? He seemed especially engaged today battling with Justin Braun and knocking over Wyatt Wylie over the half boards one time and setting an example for everyone out there.

AV: Claude is hungry. I believe he is highly motivated to help this team win. I believe that last year, I believe it even more this year. He has come in here very focused, a lot of energy, a lot of emotion. Obviously, that transpires to the rest of the group. Like today was a physical scrimmage. There was intensity. I thought the pace picked up. It was longer, but it will still in my mind the guys were trying to play the right way and do the right things on the ice. That’s exactly what we talked to them about doing as far as their preparation. The tone will be set by Claude Giroux, by Jake Voracek, by Provy on defense, by all these guys that are Flyers and want to win. That’s what we are trying to do.

Opener vs Pittsburgh is only 6 days away. Back-to-back games against the Pens.

It will be classic Giroux vs Crosby - 

Awesome website - All photos dedicated to Sydney Crosby getting hit. What a  great idea! Hopefully … | Philadelphia sports, Philadelphia flyers hockey,  Hockey world

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

or doing whatever babies do. 

Prolly the same things i do.... whine alot, need those around me to provide for all my needs, cry when i want food, and act content if there is a nipple anywhere near my mouth (i know, that comment was way offsides and uncalled for). But hey, at least i dont wear diaper, or mess my pants.....YET!

• Haha 1

And, continuing to think about the opening 2 games vs Pittsburgh in 6 days - - 

I know it won't happen, but I want Sam Morin in these 2 opening games vs Pittsburgh and the dirty, cheap-shot, Malkin.

Here is one of the incidents from last February:

Penguins’ Malkin suspended one game for swinging stick at Flyers’ Raffl

Penguins’ Malkin suspended one game for swinging stick at Flyers’ Raffl

The NHL suspended Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin for a high-sticking incident where he swung his stick from “a dangerous height in arc toward” Philadelphia Flyers forward Michael Raffl.

Malkin was ejected from the game on Monday, which the Penguins ultimately won 4-1.

“I’m not trying to hit his face. … I know it’s dirty, but I missed,” Malkin said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “He just like dived and the referee give me five minutes. [He wasn’t] injured, not bleeding, nothing.”

The league notes Malkin’s history of fines in its explanation, and there’s no denying that Malkin’s lost his cool on the ice quite a few times over the years, particularly if you go beyond the “history” that tends to count as far as supplemental discipline is concerned.

(You could probably put together a lowlight reel of his run-ins with the Flyers, alone.)

The edge Malkin plays will likely helps him become such a dominant force. When the Russian center gets a full head of steam, he can sometimes seem like a runaway train, and it must be frightening for opponents to try to deal with Malkin at his best.

Here in this compilation, Malkin with his stick tries to take Giroux' head off. Some of us have seen this compilation before:

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Prolly the same things i do.... whine alot, need those around me to provide for all my needs, cry when i want food, and act content if there is a nipple anywhere near my mouth (i know, that comment was way offsides and uncalled for). But hey, at least i dont wear diaper, or mess my pants.....YET!

You forgot poop yourself and then need a fresh diaper...

• hf101 pinned and unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

See this was my concern the vets.

Man they let this team down big time.

Giroux, Hayes, JVR, Niskanen, Braun and Jake all looked gassed.

Jake not as much vs Montreal but vs the Isles the whole group had nothing to give.

Giroux looked like he had mentally opted out.

And Niskanen's play fell off a cliff.

So with out that lead by example group the kids had no chance.

So if they are to do anything their best players have to be their best players as AV said last year.

And if they do the kids will follow suit and maybe not feel so much pressure.

I get what you're saying. My issue I have with the club and most clubs around the league is that you can have talented youth in the lineup and in most cases, they'll outplay the vets, but there's this misguided sense that you have to play the vets because 'they've been there' while the youth have to sit and watch because they've 'never been there' and this is a 'learning opportunity' for them. It's garbage thinking. The Flyers are at a point now where the veterans should be supporting the youth and the youth should be playing the critical roles. We're seeing that with the defense, but we still don't quite see that with the offense. The young guys seem to be bounced all around the lineup while the Girouxs, Voraceks, Hayes, etc....all seem to have their spot secured, so no matter how crappy they play, they'll always be guaranteed the playing time in top roles. It baffles me. 

As for Niskanen, gone. I absolutely loathe the idea of Braun being around, especially when the statistically worst defenseman in the league (Robert Hagg -> out of 196 defensemen in the league, he was rated 196th on advanced stats) occupies a spot in the lineup. This was a chance for Fletcher and Vigneault to get younger and more mobile on the blueline and they kept the status quo. I'll never understand it.

Flyers TV broadcasts will be different starting in 6 days when the season begins. Three members of the broadcast team are 'out' of the NBC presentations.

This includes this afternoon's announcement via twitter from Bill Meltzer of the sudden retirement of Bill Clement, outstanding Flyers game color commentator.

No announcement from NBC or the Flyers club. Strange. And suddenly, only 6 days before season start!

Bill Clement will be missed.

Flyers: Katie Emmer out at NBC Sports Philadelphia after one year

The Flyers broadcasting team has taken yet another hit as the network continues to lay off personnel amid the coronavirus pandemic.

After just one full season serving as the Flyers analyst and pre-game and post-game host, Katie Emmer will not be returning to the broadcasting team next season.

The news comes just months after the network laid off Chris Therien citing the on-going pandemic. NBC Sports Philadelphia continues to reshape the on-air Flyers broadcasting team, making several reported changes.

In the absence of Emmer and Therien, executives at NBC Sports Philadelphia will reportedly move Taryn Hatcher and Scott Hartnell to pre and post game show duties.

The news was expected considering the network had planned to move forward from sideline reporters.

After calling Flyers games, Bill Clement calls Bucks County home -  Lifestyle - Bucks County Courier Times - Levittown, PA

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

the Girouxs, Voraceks, Hayes, etc....all seem to have their spot secured, so no matter how crappy they play, they'll always be guaranteed the playing time in top roles.

I know i watched it happen to my Eagles this year basically it is due to their pay check...it dictates where and how much they play.

I literally watched it happen to the Eagles their old slow waaaay over paid WR had been out all season due to an injury from last year (which he sucked last year too).

Well they found a young kid off another team's practice squad. Only for him to come in and for literally the whole 5 week period he started he lead the whole NFL during that time period in catches and yards.

So when Alshon Jeffery was ready to come back from injury and they just took the kid off the field and inserted this bum for him to not have any catches his first two games and then finally he caught a pass while the kid rotted on the bench.

Just because their GM f**ked up and gave him a new deal that was way to much for his age and declining skills.

So i understand....and the Eagles paid for that stupid mistake it wasn't the only reason they missed the playoffs but it killed the chemistry they had built for a guy who should have never played a snap again in Philly.

Mind blowing.  

Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon ET.

Current Standings (of those who have participated):

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
1 flyercanuck
1 BobbyClarkeFan16
0 pilldoc
0 OccamsRazor
0 ruxpin
0 fan4ever

12/5/20 CoachX - - - Hexy and Gretzky

12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Behn Wilson
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Mark Friedman

12/19/20 Podein25 - - - Mike McKenna

12/26/20 flyercanuck - - - Forsberg and Kapanen

1/02/21 BobbyClarkeFan16 - - - Zack Stortini

On Saturday, Jan 9, is another Photo that is a challenge! We learned last Saturday to think 'outside the box'.

You guys are sharp - - - but - - - 

Coming up next, who is this tough guy?

Tune in on Saturday Jan 9 at 12 Noon ET.

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf3789e.png

(No, this is not the next Contest Photo)

Good morning on Friday All.

A good Camp report from the highly respected Charlie O'Connor - 

The Athletic is a pay site, so here is only a few snippets - 

Flyers camp stock report: Lindblom, Patrick, Zamula up; Frost, Laczynski down

By Charlie O'Connor 
The Athletic

The on-ice portion of Philadelphia Flyers training camp may have just begun on Monday, but it’s also true that camp has already reached what amounts to its halfway point.

After an off-ice day on Thursday, the Flyers will hit the homestretch this weekend, starting with a drills and scrimmage day on Friday and a drills-only dual-session on Saturday, followed by a preseason-style scrimmage at the Wells Fargo Center on Sunday. Then it’s on to the Pittsburgh Penguins next Wednesday afternoon, when the Flyers will kick off their season and the NHL slate at large at an empty arena in South Philadelphia.

In other words, the coaching staff doesn’t have much time left to make decisions about the 23-man roster, the six-man taxi squad and the Game 1 lineup. 

Appropriately, Wednesday was the most normal day of camp yet, at least in terms of the groups, lines and pairings. Finally, the makings of a potential starting lineup took shape, as the Flyers completed their third day of late-morning drills followed by an early afternoon intrasquad scrimmage.

So who has stood out? Whom do the coaches appear to be favoring? Who seems to be outperforming pre-camp expectations? And who might be falling behind in their respective races? To answer these questions, let’s bring back an old coverage staple from The Athletic Philadelphia’s early days: the Flyers stock report.

Stock up

Oskar Lindblom

Lindblom’s work on the top line with Sean Couturier and Travis Konecny in the first half of last season put him on pace for a breakout year.

Nolan Patrick

Patrick wasn’t dominant on Wednesday, though he did have another impressive day and continued to show few ill-effects from his long layoff. 

Egor Zamula

After two days of odd line and pairing combinations — Ivan Provorov-Mark Friedman! Konecny-Morin! — Vigneault inserted a bit of normality to the proceedings on Wednesday. Group A was essentially the NHL group, 12 forwards generally viewed as lineup locks and all seven defensemen on the roster who finished last season with the big club. But there was one surprise appearance in the “top” group — Zamula, who not only skated with the big guns, but also was on a pair with Justin Braun, who because of his penalty-kill prowess (especially with Matt Niskanen no longer on the team) is presumably an opening-night lineup lock.

Claude Giroux

Like Lindblom, Giroux had his best day of camp Wednesday. If the mandate from above was to further ratchet up the intensity on Day 3, the captain certainly obliged. In drills, he was all over the ice, with his best moment a highlight-reel goal on a one-on-one rush drill in which he beat Brian Elliott with a slick backhander despite having Travis Sanheim leaning all over him as he cut across the goal mouth.

His intensity carried over into the scrimmage, and it helped bring his teammates further into the fray. “Claude is hungry,” Vigneault said.

Shayne Gostisbehere

Vigneault apparently wasn’t kidding when he said Gostisbehere would receive a “clean slate” to start the season, if you consider a clean slate to mean “playing on the top pair with Provorov.”

Yep, on Wednesday, Gostisbehere was back in his 2017-18 spot, on the right side of Provorov on Philadelphia’s presumptive first pairing. It was Provorov’s third partner in three days. Vigneault downplayed the decision to pair Provorov and Gostisbehere, claiming it was part of a larger theme in terms of line and pairing construction.

Stock steady

Scott Laughton

Those first two days at center seem to have been a harbinger of things to come for Laughton, who remained in the middle during the first “normal” lineup day, on the fourth line flanked by Michael Raffl and Nicolas Aubé-Kubel.  Laughton might be an overqualified 4C, but that’s a good thing for the Flyers as it gives them an advantage over almost every other fourth line in the NHL, even if it’s not the kind of usage that would put Laughton in the strongest bargaining position in the summer when his contract expires.

James van Riemsdyk

It’s no secret van Riemsdyk didn’t have the best postseason. OK, that’s probably an understatement. His inability to produce offensively or even convince his coaches that he deserved to stay in the lineup on a nightly basis threw his future in Philadelphia briefly into question. So far, he’s stood out in a positive way in drills and the scrimmages, even if he’s yet to light up the scoreboard. 

Stock down

Mark Friedman

During the first two days of camp, Friedman was where he was expected to be: in the main group of eight defensemen with the best chances of making the final roster. Wednesday was different: Friedman ceded his spot to Zamula and dropped down to Group B, where he skated alongside Derrick Pouliot on what looked like a potential top pair for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

The assumption was that Friedman’s strong 2019-20 season in the AHL, the fact that he impressed the coaches during his brief stint with the Flyers, and his status of no longer being waiver-exempt, put him in the driver’s seat for a roster spot. Wednesday was the first time that assumption was called even a bit into question, which makes him a player to watch on Friday.

Morgan Frost

The hard truth is that all of the good news about Patrick is functionally bad news for Frost and his chances of making the roster.

Frost isn’t rooting for Patrick to remain unavailable, of course; no one is. But as long as the Flyers remain adamant Frost stay at center, and that he is a top-nine-or-bust type of player, there’s really only one place for him on the roster: third-line center, the spot Patrick holds. That doesn’t give Frost much of a path to make the big club if Patrick stays healthy.

In fairness, Frost hasn’t exactly busted the door down, either. While he’s consistently stood out in drills, Wednesday was the first day he was truly noticeable in the scrimmages. 

Frost isn’t giving up hope. But with Patrick’s re-emergence, and Frost’s self-awareness that he’s not having a stellar camp, his chances for a spot in the opening-night lineup are looking slimmer and slimmer.

Tyson Foerster

Foerster has had his moments; he even scored a goal in Wednesday’s scrimmage on a slick redirect while charging the net. But he very much looks the part of an 18-year-old recently drafted player, and to my eyes, Zayde Wisdom has actually been the more impressive of the two 2020 picks attending the camp. 

Tanner Laczynski

Viewed as a dark horse for a spot in the bottom-six entering camp, Laczynski instead has been MIA since Day 1, on the shelf as he recovers from core muscle surgery. He was spotted before Monday’s formal practice getting in some easy reps on the secondary ice surface, but his jersey lacked a number or a nameplate, and he’s yet to join his teammates in practices. 

In Day 1 of Flyers’ training camp, Nolan Patrick takes ‘positive’ step toward returning to lineup

Edited by Zzeke

Flyers - Trade Soon?

Excerpts from a SportsNet Canadian Press article today Jan 8:

NHL general managers are about to enter yet another great unknown.

With a bevy of the rules and regulations related to quarantines, both from governments and the NHL itself, how hard will it be to make in-season trades?

Ottawa Senators counterpart Pierre Dorion was a little more definitive, at least from a Canadian perspective.

"It's going to be very difficult to make trades with the 24 U.S.-based teams," he said. "And then the other seven teams, you're in competition in the same division. I think trades will be way more difficult."

As it stands ahead of this most unusual of seasons, a player traded from one of the league's American teams to a club in Canada would have to observe a 14-day quarantine.

And if two GMs north of the border find a deal that makes sense, players switching sides would still have to isolate for a league-mandated seven days and provide four negative tests before being cleared. But a further complication, as Dorion pointed out, is the fact the Leafs, Senators, Montreal Canadiens, Winnipeg Jets, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks will be battling for the North Division's four playoff spots.

Teams in the U.S. should have a little more wiggle room, but there are still quarantine rules for certain jurisdictions.

According to New York Rangers GM Jeff Gorton, not all trade partners will be equal in 2021. "You have to be mindful of how urgent do you want that player," he said. "Is it a hockey deal where this guy can come in and help your team, and do you want to wait the (quarantine period)? Or is it a future deal?

"All those things will come under consideration when we're making moves, but there's certainly issues that we have to deal with."

Vegas Golden Knights GM Kelly McCrimmon said an added wrinkle is that the NHL's 31 GMs will only get in-person viewings of six or seven opponents -- all play is strictly divisional this season -- unless they head out on the road to check on another potential trade partner.

"We don't know the (arena) access our pro scouting staff will have initially to be able to view games in other markets," he said. "That's going to impact teams' abilities to prepare for the trade deadline to some degree."

There's also a chance government restrictions could be lifted or scaled back in the coming months, but surging COVID-19 numbers on both sides of the border make anything of that nature seem a long way off.

chuck_thumb_fix.jpg

13 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

As it stands ahead of this most unusual of seasons, a player traded from one of the league's American teams to a club in Canada would have to observe a 14-day quarantine.

And if two GMs north of the border find a deal that makes sense, players switching sides would still have to isolate for a league-mandated seven days and provide four negative tests before being cleared.

Hhhmmmm thus will make trading a player very interesting.

So I guess teams posturing for the planned expansion draft will have another obstacle in there way.

Well I would hope they will have this in their minds.

And a question for anyone here who would know.

Is there going to be a set deadline for trades I figure there would be something in place to set rosters for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hhhmmmm thus will make trading a player very interesting.

So I guess teams posturing for the planned expansion draft will have another obstacle in there way.

Well I would hope they will have this in their minds.

And a question for anyone here who would know.

Is there going to be a set deadline for trades I figure there would be something in place to set rosters for the playoffs.

Good point on trades for Expansion Draft reasons.

Here are the dates:

Season start: Jan. 13
RFA signing deadline (the usual December 1 one): February 11
Players on one-year deals may sign extensions: March 12
Regular season end: May 8
Trade deadline: April 12
Playoffs over by July 15 at the latest
Protected lists due for the expansion draft on July 17
Expansion draft: July 21
Entry Draft: July 23-24
Free agency begins: July 28

cut.jpg

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Gus clip...

Good stuff OR. Thx.

Using the magnifier, it looks like Gus is paired today (Friday) with Hagg again.

Quote - 

In the offseason, Hagg worked out in Sweden with Gustaffson — something they have done during the last two years — and Flyers prospect Linus Sandin, a promising right winger who has been playing in the Swedish Hockey League.

Hagg called Gutsafason a smooth puck mover and offensive defenseman whose “hockey IQ is on another level.”

New Flyers defenseman Erik Gustafsson skating in Voorhees on Dec. 23. He might be on one of the team's power-play units.

Meltzer's Camp report Friday Jan 8 excerpts - 

[It's interesting that Center Frost is working at LW for the first time. Perhaps an indication, with Patrick looking so good, that the long-term Center position is locked up with Couturier/Hayes/Patrick and Frost will now learn LW while on the Taxi Squad and perhaps on the Phantoms later.]

On the fifth day of training camp at the Skate Zone in Voorhees, the defense pairs stayed the same as on Wednesday as did the primary groups of forwards. 

Morgan Frost spent the entire practice and scrimmage on left wing rather than splitting center/wing reps. 

FLYERS RINK GROUP

Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny
JVR - Patrick - Voracek
Morin - Laughton - NAK
Frost - Bunnaman - Alllison

Provorov - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Myers
Hägg - Gustafsson
Zamula - Braun

Hart
Elliott

PHANTOMS RINK GROUP

Giroux - Hayes - Farabee
Raffl - Andreoff - Sandin
Twarynski - Willman -Foerster/ Wisdom

Pouliot - Friedman
Wotherspoon - Wylie
Bigras - Prosser

Lyon
Sandström
Ross

SPECIAL TEAQMS SEGMENT

There was no second half to Friday's scrimmage. Instead, players convened on the Phantoms Rink for a special teams practice. The units were as follows for the first rep.

PP1: Provorov, Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Konecny
PP2: Farabee, Gustafsson, JVR, Patrick, Voracek

Unit 1 was buzzing as the reps progressed with Konecny scoring two goals (deflection goal, finishing end of a tic-tac-toe connection with the primary assist to Couturier and the secondary to Giroux). The second unit didn't get much going.

There were also a pair of shorthanded breakaways. Scott Laughton was denied by Carter Hart's glove on a backhander against PP1. Later, Oskar Lindblom scored over Elliott with the second unit on the ice. As expected, Laughton and Michael Raffl were a regular forward pairing on the PK side and Lindblom also took regular reps.

Edited by Zzeke