Flyers 2020-21 season

3 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

It's starting to shape up - 

Provorov-Braun

Sanheim-Myers

Hagg-Gustafsson

Man if that Braun we saw in the past playoffs shows up to pair with Ivan on the top pair they are screwed...

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man if that Braun we saw in the past playoffs shows up to pair with Ivan on the top pair they are screwed...

Playoffs? The good, bad, and the ugly. Ugly - Yes, TK, G, JVR, Ghost, Braun, etc - - 

But.

We remember that Fletcher warned us to be careful about drawing conclusions from the small sample size 13-game bubble playoffs and it's circumstances affecting individual players in different ways.

Now we've read about how players are extra-fueled, extra-pumped, because of how the playoffs ended. This is a good thing.

This new start will be exciting. This is a very, very, good team.

Intra-squad game on TV tomorrow night (Sunday 1/10) at 7 PM ET. I know some here will not be able to see it. Sorry.

Edited by Zzeke

53 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

We remember that Fletcher warned us to be careful about drawing conclusions from the small sample size 13-game bubble playoffs and it's circumstances affecting individual players in different ways.

See that is the rub I thought he wasn't GOOD the whole second half of the season before play halted even when the whole team was playing well.

It was hard to watch him out there in his own end.

But hey ain't nothing we can do about it now.

And the best part he is signed beyond this upcoming year.

:DancingGrape:

He'll be 34 next month and I can't see his play getting better.

But good news they can always buy him out.

:hithead:

Edited by OccamsRazor

54 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Ok I figured out the edit part.

The upper 3 dots.

So no need for this post.

Edited by OccamsRazor

3 hours ago, Zzeke said:
Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon ET.

As we all know, our Flyers had many hostilities with the St Louis Blues in the past. This includes the Blues players going up into the seats to fight Flyers fans. Flyers-Blues games were fight filled. The Blues were a very tough team.

Animosity continued into later periods. This tough-guy defenceman high-sticked Tim Kerr during a February game, then went on to assist on the Blues goal in the 3rd period. The Blues had 1400+ PIMs that season and our mystery photo player led his team in Playoff PIMs.

Who is this guy?

Only one guess per member.

Photo Contest B (2).jpg

Kelly Chase

Hope you all are able to watch tomorrow night's Flyers intra-squad game some how. (Sunday 1/10 7 PM ET on NBCS-P).

I'm fortunate here in Central PA to get NBCS-P and NBCS-P+ channels.

Here is an extract from the transcript of the interview with AV today:

Question: How important is tomorrow? It seems having that scrimmage scheduled at night helps them get into rhythm. Also, do you think the days of playing 6,7,8 preseason games, do you think these days are over?

AV: I’ll answer your first question. I went through my prior notes in the last shortened season when I was in Vancouver. Both Mikes (Mike Yeo and Michel Therrien] went through their notes. I had talked to some other coaches from some other teams. Everybody has sort of a different approach. This here in the time we had, I thought getting what we consider is a real game is the right thing to do.

By having them skate here [Vorhees Flyers Tng Ctr] tomorrow, and that is what we are going to be doing throughout the season also if we do have morning skate, they are going to be here and not at Wells Fargo. This is because it is easier for [COVID] testing facilities for us to get tested.

So, we have to make a quick adjustment. Initially I wanted everything at Wells Fargo, but because we have to get tested everyday here it is easier. That is why we changed tomorrow. But tomorrow night will be basically the two morning skates and then they will come in at night and play a game. We will have in theory one full game where guys are playing, guys are playing the right way. For us, obviously, we have been evaluating during practice. We have been evaluating during the scrimmages.

But tomorrow is a big night. It is an important night for a lot of players. Not just about starting line-up, but where they are on our depth chart, how we feel we can utilize these guys at some point moving forward. It is important. As far as the exhibition games, I believe, in the past there has been anywhere from 8-10, I thought that was overkill. I think 6 is a great number. I think 4-6 depending on the length of the camp.

Flyers Hockey

The respected Charlie O'Connor answering questions today - 

Here is one on Frost - 

Question: Considering that the Flyers top 9 is more or less set in stone without Frost again, how close are we to him being considered expendable or .... *gulp*... a bust?

Charlie: Lot of Frost questions this week, with most of them in this vein. I get the concern to a degree, but there’s one key factor that everyone should keep in mind: The Flyers always preferred that Frost get more time in the AHL this season before moving up to the NHL on an every-night basis.

You may disagree with that approach, but the fact that Frost is seemingly “boxed out” of the top nine because of the apparent return of Patrick doesn’t really change the Flyers’ view of the ideal developmental strategy for him. 

Basically, what I’m saying is this: It’s not time to panic about Frost’s place in the organization. In a way, this turn of events was always the Flyers’ hope, that Patrick’s re-emergence would allow them to do what they’ve always felt was in Frost’s best developmental interest, rather than having to “rush” him up to the big club to fill a glaring need.

Frost not making the team and not having a clear spot right now is actually the opposite of a “sky is falling” moment for Frost and where he stands in the organization.

That said, assuming Patrick remains healthy, a reckoning is coming. Eventually, I believe, Frost is going to make it clear that he’s mastered the AHL, and force the Flyers to stop doubting his NHL-readiness. When that happens, they will have to make a decision about his position, and if they continue to be adamant that he only play center, then there isn’t a long-term place for him in the top nine.

But I remain confident that if Frost is tearing up the AHL and the only way to call him up is if he plays wing, the Flyers will green-light a temporary position change. After all, they’ve already been rotating him between center and wing the past two practice days at camp. On some level, they know.

[Frost has only played Center in his career at all levels.]

Morgan Frost gives strong showing, but Flyers lose to Bruins 3-1 and stay winless in preseason

23 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

That's what you get for taking PPP money, the only team I may add.

I had not read that about our Flyers anyplace.

Here are excerpts from the recent report on Sports Teams and PPP:

Which Sports Team Got the Most COVID-19 Aid From the U.S. Government?

by John Moriello 
SportsCasting
December 8, 2020

Shortly after the money from the Payroll Protection Program started reaching U.S. small businesses in April, it was discovered that the Los Angeles Lakers applied for and received $4.6 million from the federal government. Given that Forbes says the Lakers are worth more than $4 billion and that ESPN reported that billionaires Philip Anschutz, Patrick Soon-Shiong, and Ed Roski Jr. are minority partners in the franchise controlled by the Buss family, criticism was swift.

Responding to the outrage, the Lakers announced that they were returning the money so that the government could distribute it to the intended recipients of the program – small businesses.

Sportico.com waded through hundreds of thousands of entries from the report on the Payroll Protection Program and found that 3,968 sports businesses received $1.72 billion to support 235,475 jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The most interesting data, however, relates to the pro sports teams that received money under the PPP. Although no NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB teams received direct funding, Sportico determined that Lemieux Group, which holds Mario Lemieux’s stake in the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins, accepted $4.82 million.

In soccer, the Seattle Sounders, D.C. United, and Orlando City of MLS all took at least $1.7 million. Orlando’s sum was $2,194,200. The team reportedly is being sold for nearly 200 times that amount.

The biggest recipient in team sports of Payroll Protection Program money is an outfit that casual observers might not think of as a team. Richard Childress’ NASCAR team, RCR Enterprises, accepted a loan of $6.33 million. RCR’s drivers include Austin Dillon and Tyler Reddick in the NASCAR Cup Series.

COVID ALERT

Today, Saturday, at the Wells Fargo Center, the seven-man Sixers fell to Denver by a 115-103 score.

A somewhat brief summary of why the Sixers only used seven players: 

Seth Curry tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday night, head coach Doc Rivers confirmed pregame.

Tobias Harris, Matisse Thybulle, Shake Milton and Vincent Poirier were out because of health and safety protocols; Rivers said it was his understanding that those players were sidelined because they were at a table with Curry during a team meal. It’s unclear how long they will be out.

A Sixers Athletic Trainer also tested positive for COVID. The other absences were injury related.

Our Flyers play at the Wells Fargo Center tomorrow night, Sunday.

It's not revealed why the absence of Ghost today. It does not mean that there is a COVID positive test.

We hope that the WFC staff does a thorough job of cleaning/sanitizing of the facility, especially the common areas that are traversed by both NBA and NHL teams (they have seperate team locker rooms).

7 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

COVID ALERT

Today, Saturday, at the Wells Fargo Center, the seven-man Sixers fell to Denver by a 115-103 score.

Seth Curry tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday night, head coach Doc Rivers confirmed pregame.

Tobias Harris, Matisse Thybulle, Shake Milton and Vincent Poirier were out because of health and safety protocols; Rivers said it was his understanding that those players were sidelined because they were at a table with Curry during a team meal. It’s unclear how long they will be out.

A Sixers Athletic Trainer also tested positive for COVID. The other absences were injury related.

It's not revealed why the absence of Ghost today. It does not mean that there is a COVID positive test.

We hope that the WFC staff does a thorough job of cleaning/sanitizing of the facility, especially the common areas that are traversed by both NBA and NHL teams (they have seperate team locker rooms).

Media report out of Pittsburgh today - 

The Penguins canceled their practice and scrimmage at PPG Paints Arena on Saturday out of coronavirus-related concerns.

In a statement, the team indicated “the decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to potential exposure of covid-19.”

There was no word yet regarding their scrimmage Sunday that is scheduled for 7 p.m. or the remainder of their camp.

The Penguins are the third NHL team to have their training camp disrupted in some fashion by coronavirus concerns. On Friday, the Dallas Stars canceled practice after six players and two staffers tested positive while the Columbus Blue Jackets held 17 players from participating from practice out of an abundance of caution.

The Penguins addressed the possibility of experiencing disruptions related to the pandemic on Friday.

“It’s crazy times we’re living in,” forward Bryan Rust said during a video conference with media. “We have to expect the inconvenience. There’s definitely going to be times throughout the year where things are affected by it. We’ve just got to expect that’s going to happen, and we have to take things as they come.”

The Penguins’ regular season is scheduled to open Wednesday with a regular season road game against the Philadelphia Flyers.

21 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

COVID ALERT

The NBA is having a covid issue? How sad. Id be soooo put out if they had to cancel their entire season

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Anyone else want to take a shot at today's 'Flyers Mystery Photo' or should I shut it down with nobody sharp enough to get it? (earlier in this thread today)

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf3789e.png

(No, this image is not the Mystery Photo.)

4 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Anyone else want to take a shot at today's 'Flyers Mystery Photo' or should I shut it down with nobody sharp enough to get it? (earlier in this thread today)

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf3789e.png

(No, this image is not the Mystery Photo.)

I wasn’t home.... gimme a second 

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I wasn’t home.... gimme a second 

Yeah, a beautiful day like today (at least here in central PA), many people were out and about - - busy lives.

In anticipation of a strike-out, I'll wait until Monday.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zzeke said:
Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon ET.

As we all know, our Flyers had many hostilities with the St Louis Blues in the past. This includes the Blues players going up into the seats to fight Flyers fans. Flyers-Blues games were fight filled. The Blues were a very tough team.

Animosity continued into later periods. This tough-guy defenceman high-sticked Tim Kerr during a February game, then went on to assist on the Blues goal in the 3rd period. The Blues had 1400+ PIMs that season and our mystery photo player led his team in Playoff PIMs.

Who is this guy?

Only one guess per member.

Photo Contest B (2).jpg

AV

7 hours ago, Zzeke said:

But.

Im sure every GM in the league, that didnt win the SC, has an excuse similar to Fletcher. What else would they say? 

The Flyers entered the playoffs strong, and looked ready to do something special.  Then they just fell apart. The got out hit, out skated, out played and out scored. If that collapse was due to the covid restrictions and being away from thier families, that indicates a lack of mental fortitude and professionalism. After all, the teams that beat them, and the SC winner, didnt have the same problems. Why were the Flyers the ines who were affected?

But, if the playoffs were not a result of those issues, then we are back to a lineup that couldn't rise to that level. That contradicts Fletcher's comments. I still want to know how this lineup will be better? 50% of the defense is good. But they lost a major piece. The goalie is solid. But the offense is the same, except Oscar and Patrick. Both are huge questions. 

Of course, Patrick playing at all is better than NOT at all. So I guess that is an upgrade 

Intersquad Game Day (Wells Fargo Center)

The Philadelphia Flyers' abbreviated 2021 training camp concludes today with a two-group morning skate at the Skate Zone in Voorhees and then an intersquad game at the Wells Fargo at 7 p.m. ET. The intersquad game will be televised on NBC Sports Philadelphia.

The morning skate today will consist of two 45-minute sessions, featuring the two sides that will play in the intersquad game. Team A will skate from 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and Team B will be out from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. ET. The intersquad game is essentially a dress rehearsal for opening night being held in lieu of having any exhibition games against other NHL teams.

The following players are unavailable to participate in the intersquad game: defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere (undisclosed), forwards Isaac Ratcliffe (rib fracture), Tanner Laczynski (core muscle surgery rehab), Wade Allison (undisclosed, suspected lower-body injury), and goaltender Kirill Ustimenko (hip surgery recuperation).

TEAM ORANGE ROSTER

FORWARDS (10)
10 - Andy Andreoff C/LW
11 - Travis Konecny RW
13 - Kevin Hayes C
14 - Sean Couturier C
23 - Oskar Lindblom LW
28 - Claude Giroux LW
55 - Samuel Morin LW
60 - Zayde Wisdom RW
81 - Carsen Twarynski LW
86 - Joel Farabee RW