Flyers 2020-21 season

9 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

not sure if this is allowed, but I made a little Etsy store for you Sanheim / Danzig fans out there. yes, my girlfriend made me wear the shirt for the pictures. printed in South Philly at Awesome Dudes Printing.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/941434167/flyers-travis-sanheim-samhain-t-shirt?ref=shop_home_active_1

mkl-sanheim-small.jpg.8e24f7d9c83207e66887c25f354a3541.jpg

Will totally vouch for the quality of the shirt. 

@mkscrewy

hooked a couple of us up last year- the design is cool as hell the shirt fits great.

People are never quite sure what they're looking at when I wear it in public.

Most bad-ass t-shirt since the WVU

Penn State sucks but Pitt Swallows shirts from the early 90's

wvu t.jpg

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Flyers vs Pens back-to-back games this week.

A quote from the Pens defenceman Letang:

Familiarity will breed contempt, especially in the East Division, the only of the NHL’s four divisions that is restricted to a single time zone.

“It’s going to be fun,” defenseman Kris Letang said. “It’s going to create more rivalries and emotion will probably be higher because of what happened the night before. It can translate to the next game. And obviously, you play (only division opponents) so every game will be super important. It will raise a lot of intensity.”

The Taxi Squad is an extension of the NHL team's roster. 

The assumption here is that a player can be called from the Taxi Squad to the main roster if there is a vacancy in the 23-player roster. 

"Players can move freely between the taxi squad and the NHL roster, but call-ups must be made prior to 5 p.m. on game day."

Therefore, with our Flyers playing the Pens back-to-back, and with Malkin (and maybe Crosby) doing their crap, dirty play, perhaps Fletcher/AV will rotate 2 players temporarily for game 2 only:

- Morin from the Taxi Squad to the main roster

- Frost from the main roster to the Taxi Squad

- - and insert LW Morin, 6-7 230, in place of LW Raffl for game 2 vs the Pens only.

Malkin

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers lands a punch during a first-period fight against Bobby Farnham of the New York Rangers during a preseason...

I apologize for hammering this theme over-and-over, but, as an old-timer, I remember all the crap from Malkin and Crosby over the years. OR, CX, remember?

Below is a quote from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review this morning.

It uses gentle words like "increase the rivalry aspect" (Crosby quote) and "the increased tension in the second game".

Translation: back-to-back games with our Flyers and Pens dirty players Malkin/Crosby will increase the 'hate' factor and 'vicious retaliation'.

Again, prepare to move LW Sam Morin from the Taxi Squad to the game roster for game 2 on Friday night vs Malkin and the Pens (quoted post above).

Malkin

SIDNEY CROSBY
C, PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Sidney Crosby likes the NHL's plan of having two or sometimes even three-game series this season.

This season's schedule will feature frequent examples of teams playing consecutive games against each other in the same building. The NHL has had home-and-away series in the past, but they previously shied away from having, for example, Pittsburgh playing consecutive games in Philadelphia in the same way the MLB does series.

However, with the condensed schedule and division-only play, it made sense for this season.

“Yeah, I like it,”  Sidney Crosby said. “Obviously, it’s more because of the (pandemic) situation. It’s something that came up before, and it didn’t really materialize. Not having to travel (as much), just kind of getting settled in one place and playing a team a couple of times should increase the rivalry aspect.”

The increased tension in the second game of the set should be an interesting factor in this schedule. While this schedule structure came about because of the unique challenges presented in 2020-21, it will be interesting to see if this series idea continues beyond this season.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Jan 13, 2021, 10:16 AM ET

Flyers Depth at Center

A repeat theme, but a very important theme - - strong through the middle - strong at Center, depth at Center, as stated again today by Fletcher:

The regular-season opener will be Patrick's first NHL game since April 2, 2019, a span of over 650 days.

"It's been, at least in my eyes, the biggest story of camp," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said Tuesday. "Not only to see that Nolan is feeling better physically and able to participate in camp, but after all the time he's missed, he's been able to go out and play at a high level, which is remarkable. Regardless of why you missed time, to be able to come back and play at that level, play with the speed, the pace, the energy that he has played with has been great to see."

Patrick's presence is huge for the Flyers down the middle of the ice. Along with Sean Couturier and Kevin Hayes, Patrick gives the Flyers three tough-to-play-against centers with size and smarts.

"His skill level has always spoken for itself," Fletcher said. "He sees the ice so well, 200-foot player, doesn’t cheat away from the puck, he doesn’t cheat defensively and has a very good shot.

I look at our top three centermen in Couturier, Hayes and Patrick, and all three of them are going to play important even strength minutes, all three of them are going to play power play minutes and all three of them are going to play PK minutes.

We're very fortunate, and obviously we have Scotty Laughton and even Morgan Frost that can move up in the lineup and play big minutes, too. We like our depth through the middle of the ice and I'm excited to see what Nolan can do this year, as well as everybody else."

Patrick's nasty goal as he reaches back between his legs:

Flyers' Nolan Patrick scores nasty between-the-legs goal | RSN

Nolan Patrick goes between own legs for fantastic finish - YouTube

Today - NBC Sports’ NHL game analysts AJ Mleczko and Eddie Olczyk weighed in as the Flyers open their 2020-21 season tonight against the hated Pittsburgh Penguins.

“The idea that you’re playing more nights with less breaks, and the physical breakdown these players will take makes the depth of all of these teams super important,” Mleczko said. “You look at the rivalries, you look at the intensity of a shorter season, and there is an argument it’s more like a sprint than a marathon of a normal 82-game season.

“What Philly showed before the pause last year, they were a hard team to play against and they were physical. What impressed me the most about Philly, especially in February and March, and fast forward to August, was their ability to play any style.

“Whatever teams threw at them, they were able to adjust. Part of that is how they’re made up and it also has a lot to do with their grittiness, no pun intended towards their mascot. They have a chip on their shoulder and they’re proving people wrong. That Eastern Division is going to be really, really tough, but I think Philly is built for longevity this season.”

What you do see are a lot of grinders, character guys, guys who aren’t afraid to win races, or take hits to make plays, they’re important players.

“The Flyers have a lot of those guys.”

Olczyk does believe friction will be there, especially playing the same teams twice within 24 hours.

“The way the schedule is this will be very similar to baseball, where all you can do is shack up, go to the rink and go back to your hotel and that’s it,” Olczyk said. “Somebody puts one high and hard one around somebody’s chin, within reasons of good taste and within rules of the game, you have the opportunity to come right back in 24 hours or 48 hours and either settle the score or send a message.

“It is going to be intense — it really is. Looking at the teams in that Eastern Division, you can have a few points between first and fifth. The temperature is going to rise as we get further into the season.”

Sam Moran, 6-7 230, will be Watching

Sam Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers looks on against the New York Islanders on November 24, 2017 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia,...

Depth, depth, depth. Four line depth. Forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Conditioning.

We share this opinion with Charlie O'Connor as he is 'right-on' in his Game 1 observation:

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 2

For those who may not have seen this - 

SHAYNE GOSTISBEHERE
D, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Shayne Gostisbehere was not available for Wednesday's season opener because of COVID protocol. 

A COVID Protocol Related Absence does not necessarily mean that a player tested positive for the virus. Gostisbehere wasn't available for Sunday's team scrimmage and he was ruled out for Wednesday's game against Pittsburgh on Tuesday. 

SOURCE: NHL Public Relations on Twitter
Jan 13, 2021, 6:27 PM ET

8 hours ago, Zzeke said:

For those who may not have seen this - 

Joel Farabee leads the NHL in points!!!

He is on pace for a 224 point season!!!

Move over Wayne Gretzky!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor
I went Bourbonless!!!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Quote of the day - - and using the 'E' word:

“It’s a lot easier when you get guys like Nolan Patrick back,” Hayes said when asked to explain the power play’s Game 1 resurgence. “He kind of controls that (second) power play and he’s an elite player and he got rewarded with a goal tonight.”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJvf4QlqsOEwq89DGj9pR

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Quote of the day - - and using the 'E' word:

“It’s a lot easier when you get guys like Nolan Patrick back,” Hayes said when asked to explain the power play’s Game 1 resurgence. “He kind of controls that (second) power play and he’s an elite player and he got rewarded with a goal tonight.”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJvf4QlqsOEwq89DGj9pR

Quotes:

But part of what makes Patrick such a fascinating player is that, despite his early-career injury issues and migraine disorder, “elite” isn’t necessarily off the table for him. His upside remains as high as any young player on the roster.

“I don’t think anyone knows at this point,” Vigneault said when asked what Patrick’s ceiling might be. “He hasn’t played at all in – it must be since April (2019). So he hasn’t played in quite some time. But I see him walking around with a jump in his step and a smile on his face. There’s no doubt that he’s happy to be back. Every day that he’s around our team and that he’s on the ice and with his teammates, he gets better. Where that will lead, only time can tell.”

“You know, it’s scary, he’s only going to get better,” Konecny said. “It’s his first game back in a long time and he looks that good.”

Nolan Patrick.

And, with 3rd line matchups.

Guys, this is only the beginning. Buckle-up. 

This is a very, very, good team - - a CUP contender.

GettyImages-862511858-1024x685.jpg

Okay. I feel that I am over-posting. Too many. Only a rookie here. But, excited over our Flyers' start and this season's potential.

So, one last post this morning - - with a quote:

"Well, if every game is going to be that fun, we’re going to have a great time. 56-0, obviously."

Image_from_iOS__1_.0.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Okay. I feel that I am over-posting. Too many. Only a rookie here. But, excited over our Flyers' start and this season's potential.

I, for one, am enjoying your posts, so thanks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Okay. I feel that I am over-posting. Too many. Only a rookie here. But, excited over our Flyers' start and this season's potential

I'm excited too. 

No need to apologize for providing content and conversation points.

Just wait until they lose. Then we'll have some real fun. 

• Good Post 2

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning - 

The Flyers, always willing to whack or slash or stab one of their Keystone State rivals, gave us three looks at a reimagined power play under new assistant coach Todd Reirden.

It was encouraging to see all five guys move their feet and often switch spots. But the Penguins didn’t have many chances to show for it.

Their lone power-play goal was an impressive individual effort by Sidney Crosby, who swatted Hart’s clearing attempt out of midair then nonchalantly tucked the puck into an empty net.

Cry-babies. In addition to Crosby, even their media are cry-babies.

"gave us three looks at a reimagined power play under new assistant coach Todd Reirden. It was encouraging - - "

Encouraging? The only Pens PP goal against our Flyers PK units was the give-away by our goaltender !

See you guys on Friday. Bring your crying towels.

This is how we like to see Malkin:

Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins stretches before Game Three of the Eastern Conference Qualification Round against the Montreal Canadiens at...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

So, one last post this morning - - with a quote:

"Well, if every game is going to be that fun, we’re going to have a great time. 56-0, obviously."

Image_from_iOS__1_.0.jpg

Love your enthusiasm!!  It is contagious and it is so great to be back reading the board!  It has been so quiet.  Your posts are quite fun and very informaitive!

Keep it up!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Huh ?

WTF?

He is on the books for 3 more years at 6.3 mill per.

Florida would have to eat a huge chunk of his salary.

And who would go the other way???

Ghost?

They only have 1.3 mill in cap space.

Sorry this is click bait by whoever dreamed this up.

I can see him going home to Boston.

• Like 2