Flyers 2020-21 season

25 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

The future of NHL uniforms - 

w3D0EEFP?format=jpg&name=medium

Why The NHL Shouldn't Place Ads On Jerseys

20.SP.jerseyads_620_349_90.jpg

frolunda-indians-ads

NHL will place ads on World Cup jerseys and monitor fan reactions - Puck  Drunk Love

Ugh!  If it ever get this bad, I think I'm done.  How distracting must that be?  Question is, if you do purchase a team jersey, do you get all that advertising too???

Heaven help us all!!

• Like 2

@Podein25

ANTON FORSBERG
G, WINNIPEG JETS

Winnipeg has claimed Anton Forsberg off waivers from Carolina. 

The Hurricanes claimed Forsberg off the waiver wire from Edmonton earlier this week.

He remained in Canada, but it is expected that he will still have to go through quarantine before reporting to the Jets. Winnipeg lost a goaltender earlier this week when Eric Comrie was claimed by New Jersey. 

SOURCE: Chris Johnston on Twitter
Jan 15, 2021, 12:14 PM ET

P25, anything in the Winnipeg media about Laine's trade situation other than his 2 goals in the opener?

2 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

P25, anything in the Winnipeg media about Laine's trade situation other than his 2 goals in the opener?

Not really. This article is representative:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/laine-silences-rumours-naysayers-with-masterclass-performance

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Thx bro.

Quote:

In a matter of 60 minutes — or a few hours of actual time — you could almost see a fanbase go from, ‘Hey, he’s not worth $10 million’ to ‘The hell with it, give him all the millions.’

It’s funny what a three-point night can do.

Laine winner caps sparkling performance as Jets extinguish Flames in  overtime | CBC Sports

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Jake not impressed.

https://streamable.com/ejnn1a

I love it. Writers take shots at these guys all the time, some warranted some not.

In fact I am shocked it doesn't happen more often.

I have a quick temper so I can only imagine there would be many times I would be diving over the table trying to get my hands on some of these cats.

Bravo Jake give it so the weasel.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 1

Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon ET.

Current Standings (of those who have participated):

3 Podein25
2 flyercanuck
1 CoachX
1 BobbyClarkeFan16
0 pilldoc
0 OccamsRazor
0 ruxpin
0 fan4ever

12/5/20 CoachX - - - Hexy and Gretzky
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Behn Wilson
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Mark Friedman
12/19/20 Podein25 - - - Mike McKenna
12/26/20 flyercanuck - - - Forsberg and Kapanen
1/02/21 BobbyClarkeFan16 - - - Zack Stortini
1/09/21 flyercanuck - - - Coach Alain Vigneault

There are some sharp dudes here. I no longer say 'nobody will get this'. Someone has nailed each of the hardest mystery photos. But, this one - - - maybe?

Today's Puzzler:

How well do we know our Flyers' players?

Who is this? A forward? A defenceman? Past? Here now? Traded?

A great mystery!

Photo Contest C.jpg

1 minute ago, Zzeke said:

3 Podein25
2 flyercanuck
1 CoachX
1 BobbyClarkeFan16
0 pilldoc
0 OccamsRazor
0 ruxpin
0 fan4ever

There are some sharp dudes here. I no longer say 'nobody will get this'. Someone has nailed each of the hardest mystery photos. But, this one - - - maybe?

Today's Puzzler:

A great mystery!

Photo Contest C.jpg

Frost?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

3 Podein25
2 flyercanuck
1 CoachX
1 BobbyClarkeFan16
0 pilldoc
0 OccamsRazor
0 ruxpin
0 fan4ever

Today's Puzzler:

A great mystery!

Photo Contest C.jpg

Mini Jagr.

• Haha 1

Tonight [Jan 16] in the Philadelphia Inquirer - 

Excerpt:

- - the Flyers were at their best in the third period of each of these first two games, grinding the Penguins down to dust, outscoring them 5-1, and maybe the most revealing and encouraging statistic through those two contests is this: No Flyers forward averaged more than 19 minutes of ice time per game. There’s no more asking Claude Giroux to push himself past 20, 21 minutes a night, no more third- and fourth-lines made up of marginal NHL players.

- - the Flyers were the fresher, stronger team late in that game, just as they were in their season-opening 6-3 victory Wednesday.

Flyes depth, depth, depth. Young legs, hard skating, conditioning. Forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Catapult that 4th line on them!

This is a very, very, good team - - a CUP contender.

Ross Johnston of the New York Islanders is checked by Nicolas Aube-Kubel of the Philadelphia Flyers during the second period in Game One of the...

Scott Laughton of the Philadelphia Flyers takes a shot on goal against Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens with Michael Raffl on February 20, 2018...

16 hours ago, Zzeke said:

This is a very, very, good team - - a CUP contender.

Maybe. I'd like to see a little more physical play, a little more grit, especially in the playoffs. Pissburgh pushed us around a bit, don't like it. The Isles did too in the summer. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Maybe. I'd like to see a little more physical play, a little more grit, especially in the playoffs. Pissburgh pushed us around a bit, don't like it. The Isles did too in the summer. 

Nice to see you are channeling your inner CoachX 🍻

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Agree P25. In addition to moving-in Sam Morin for selected games, what would you recommend? We know grit/physical most shifts is different from retaliation/fights/intimidation which Morin brings, but it would be good to have both. The 4th line of Laughton/NAK/Raffl gives some grit/physical, but I agree with you - more is needed.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Agree P25. In addition to moving-in Sam Morin for selected games, what would you recommend? We know grit/physical most shifts is different from retaliation/fights/intimidation which Morin brings, but it would be good to have both. The 4th line of Laughton/NAK/Raffl gives some grit/physical, but I agree with you - more is needed.

If you look and own the lineup, there are no players who fit this mold. I don't know that you can ask them to focus on that, when the result on the ice is what we just saw for 2 games. However, this is what happened last season, the team won a lot of games but didn't have to be physical. Then playoffs rolled around and they got knocked all over the ice. The coaches would have to instill the mental commitment to the being physical to get this group to be that

Option 2... personnel changes that allow a physical player to be brought in

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, flyercanuck said:

Frost?

Saturday Mystery Flyers Photo Contest

Yes! Correct! Good work flyercanuck.

Wow, I thought the jersey # 68 would throw-off everyone.

But, you guys are toooo sharp - - flyercanuck, OccamsRazor, CoachX.

flyercanuck moves into a tie for the League lead in the standings with Podein25.

September 12, 2018 Flyers Rookie Game vs NYI

Morgan Frost

Philadelphia Flyers center Morgan Frost brings the puck in the offensive zone after beating New York Islanders defenseman Bode Wilde in a pre-season...

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I picked Frost up in Conn Smythe. The kid is going to put some pucks in the net, and play well on that first line.

Here is the difficult part - - 

Assuming Frost plays well, perhaps great, during these 8 or more games, when Couturier returns what happens to Frost?

Frost has not played wing at any point in his hockey career at any level.

And, Frost does not qualify for AVs 4th line center position:

AV's 4th line profile/requirement is hard skating, hard forechecking, physical, pin the other team in their own end, fast/strong backchecking, defensive work, PK duty.

With 4 high quality Centers that are 'top 3 lines' centers, does that open up trade thinking?

Couturier, Hayes, and Patrick are not candidates to move to wing IMO. Especially don't move Patrick to wing - - must minimize his time at the 'wall' due to his head and migraine issues.

Or, is this topic way too early to discuss?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Hayes could move to wing, even though he isn't a prototypical wing....the others ...Patrick and Coots...I think you're right on about . Hayes moving to wing, is, of course, up to AV and Hayes.

Maybe now is the time to trade Patrick, and keep Frost up here. Uhoh, I just started HockeyForums war...duck! 

22 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Hayes could move to wing, even though he isn't a prototypical wing....the others ...Patrick and Coots...I think you're right on about . Hayes moving to wing, is, of course, up to AV and Hayes.

Maybe now is the time to trade Patrick, and keep Frost up here. Uhoh, I just started HockeyForums war...duck! 

Hayes isn't a winger. It's just not a plausible idea.  If Patrick is going to stay healthy, he creates such a mismatch on the third line. No valid reason to move him.  And if something happens that he's not healthy, that creates the spot for Frost.  Frost either will have to move to wing or wait.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Right now I would sit him.

Especially if they keep winning.

Maybe start getting him some reps in practice playing wing so he will be ready if it comes to that.

I mean that is what made Giroux so great is he can play center or wing.

So the more versatile you are the more valuable you are.

• Like 3

For game 3 and game 4 - 

The Sabres play against the Flyers on Monday and Tuesday. Coach Ralph Krueger said after the session that Reinhart's lower-body injury is "manageable." It's unclear if that means he will play on Monday. Reinhart also briefly left Friday's game against Washington. 

39 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

For game 3 and game 4 - 

I like the Flyer's chances...

Could we see Elliott for the second game?

Edit: Nevermind I didn't realize it was back to back games so I guess Elliott for the second game?

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 1