Flyers 2020-21 season

I've mentioned already how I like Dubois, and I do. The challenge would definitely be the price tag. What does it take to land a tough top three draft pick who plays tough and has solid skill both ways? I'm not sure exactly, but I have to imagine it'll be steep. I'd be curious though. He'd fit in here like a glove given the way he plays the game.

I know, let's give them JVR. He had a reasonably good last game. Seize the day!

8 hours ago, Zzeke said:

I don't get those being down on the 24 year old, 6-4, Sanheim, and only after 5 games.

I suspect that the focus by some is that he is soft because he tries to avoid hits, without those also focusing on all of his attributes as our Flyers #2 defenceman: age, length, poke-check, D-zone positioning, minimal turn-overs, good D-zone exit passing, excellent skater, will join the rush and is dangerous in the offensive zone, excellent shot, good on the Power Play point when needed, good on PK. 

The 24 year old Sanheim has up-side as he has only 2 full NHL seasons and has not reached his peak. It's common for young talented defencemen to take approx 3-4 full seasons to fully mature in the NHL game. Wise GMs know that and won't panic and trade.

A good example comes to mind - - young Pronger was slow to develop and after 2 seasons Hartford traded him to St Louis for a forward. It took him 2 more seasons in St Louis to become a + player. In his 5th season he emerged with a +47 year and went on to become an all-star. I'm not saying Sanheim will become a Pronger, but I am saying patience is in order for a young promising defenceman with skills. Fletcher won't panic.

And, it's much harder for NHL teams to build a quality defense unit than the forward lines.

GM Fletcher on Oct 17, 2020:

I think [Ivan] Provorov’s elite defensively, [Travis] Sanheim and Myers, in my opinion, will become elite shutdown defensemen in this league.

The 30 other GM would salavate at getting Sanheim. And, of course, our Flyers 3 defencemen on the Protected List for the July Expansion Draft will be Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers (the #1, #2, and #3 defencemen).

Just IMO.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau of the New York Islanders is defended by Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers during the first period in Game Three of the...

I'm down on Sanheim because the skill is there. The physical tools are there. The toolbox might not be there because he makes questionable decisions several times a game, which leads me to believe that he doesn't have the IQ to put it all together and he'll be another Braydon Coburn type. Let's not forget that Coburn's first season here, he put up 36 points, but then his numbers went down and his play became more and more inconsistent every year after that. That's what I see with Sanheim, but with less physicality than Coburn.

With regards to Pronger, let's remember he came into the league as an 18 year old. Big difference when compared to someone who's first full NHL season came at the age of 22. Pronger was still a kid and was growing into his frame. And let's not forget that he was still rushed by Hartford and then got dealt and really blossomed under Mike Keenan. As for Sanheim, he had the luxury of playing his full junior complement and also had a season and change in the AHL.

I want to like Sanheim, but I see nothing special. It's all about results. I remember for years how people continually said "just wait, eventually Coburn will put it together and he'll be the defenseman this club needs" but it never happened. That's Sanheim. He has so much talent, but he always leaves you wanting more and the results seem to be disappointing. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm down on Sanheim because the skill is there. The physical tools are there. The toolbox might not be there because he makes questionable decisions several times a game, which leads me to believe that he doesn't have the IQ to put it all together and he'll be another Braydon Coburn type. Let's not forget that Coburn's first season here, he put up 36 points, but then his numbers went down and his play became more and more inconsistent every year after that. That's what I see with Sanheim, but with less physicality than Coburn.

With regards to Pronger, let's remember he came into the league as an 18 year old. Big difference when compared to someone who's first full NHL season came at the age of 22. Pronger was still a kid and was growing into his frame. And let's not forget that he was still rushed by Hartford and then got dealt and really blossomed under Mike Keenan. As for Sanheim, he had the luxury of playing his full junior complement and also had a season and change in the AHL.

I want to like Sanheim, but I see nothing special. It's all about results. I remember for years how people continually said "just wait, eventually Coburn will put it together and he'll be the defenseman this club needs" but it never happened. That's Sanheim. He has so much talent, but he always leaves you wanting more and the results seem to be disappointing. 

Good valid points on Pronger's age and stage.

Also, we noted in the last 2 games, the rotation of the defencemen necessitated Sanheim to play the right side at times. An adjustment.

We will be patient on Sanheim.

11 hours ago, Zzeke said:

I messed-up. I should have posted this in the 'PLD Has Asked for a Trade' thread.

Can someone with the capability please move these 8 posts on PLD to that thread? Thx.

Rookie error.   animated smileys others

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm down on Sanheim because the skill is there. The physical tools are there. The toolbox might not be there because he makes questionable decisions several times a game, which leads me to believe that he doesn't have the IQ to put it all together and he'll be another Braydon Coburn type.

That is where I am at with him.

And Coburn is a great example.

I think by the time he is 32 he will have figured out the defensive aspects of his game...but we can always hang our hats on the ol he was home grown thing till then...it is why I would include him in a trade for a solid piece back.

I think Zamula will be able to fill the gap left by him.

And hey I know this is going to ruffle some Canucks feathers and all because well he blew past Zaboril one time...

:DancingGrape:

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is where I am at with him.

And Coburn is a great example.

I think by the time he is 32 he will have figured out the defensive aspects of his game...but we can always hang our hats on the ol he was home grown thing till then...it is why I would include him in a trade for a solid piece back.

I think Zamula will be able to fill the gap left by him.

And hey I know this is going to ruffle some Canucks feathers and all because well he blew past Zaboril one time...

:DancingGrape:

I really thought Sanheim was going to thrive under Mike Yeo. He seems to have a touch with defensemen and that he's developed several good ones during his time in St. Louis. The fact that Sanheim can't seem to get it going under Yeo leads me to believe that maybe he just simply wasn't as good as we were lead to believe. And honestly, I think York might end up being the best of the bunch. There's simply no panic in his game. He makes smart decisions all the time and he just knows how to get that puck off his stick quickly and up to his forwards. 

At this point, I'm sure Sanheim is going to kept though because Vigneault and company believe this roster is a Stanley Cup contending roster. However, we still have three playoff dogs in the lineup and a bottom pairing defense group that are colossal screw ups when on the ice. But, argh siiiize and all that other crap. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I really thought Sanheim was going to thrive under Mike Yeo. He seems to have a touch with defensemen and that he's developed several good ones during his time in St. Louis. The fact that Sanheim can't seem to get it going under Yeo leads me to believe that maybe he just simply wasn't as good as we were lead to believe. And honestly, I think York might end up being the best of the bunch. There's simply no panic in his game. He makes smart decisions all the time and he just knows how to get that puck off his stick quickly and up to his forwards. 

At this point, I'm sure Sanheim is going to kept though because Vigneault and company believe this roster is a Stanley Cup contending roster. However, we still have three playoff dogs in the lineup and a bottom pairing defense group that are colossal screw ups when on the ice. But, argh siiiize and all that other crap. 

I thought Yeo was going to help too.

But sometimes at the end of the day no matter how much time you spend in the class explaining what what someone should be doing in different scenarios and where they should be what their responsibilities should be when the time to perform is here and the lights are on and the game is being played at such a fast pace some just can not process the information fast enough at this pro level.

I seen it when I was in a combat zone in the Gulf War and I have seen it in my current job after the training has been done and the pass the initial test.

Give them the moment and they can't perform.

It happens were all human and we all have our differences.

Some can be over come and some not.

The downside the more time passes and he continues to show he isn't getting it his value drops.

How much time do we wait?

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I remember for years how people continually said "just wait, eventually Coburn will put it together and he'll be the defenseman this club needs" but it never happened. That's Sanheim. 

Well Coburn did eventually turn into Konecny...our leading scorer last season. 

• Like 1

i wonder how much it's going hurt us especially if we need a new core to build around, im not confident in patrick and frost, if they arent our core players, this team might go downhill fast. fletch really screwed himself up on this one.

Edited by tucson83

13 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Wow, that is ridiculous. Clearly there was no real effort to land a deal here on CLS' part. That's the kind of offer you make when you have no interest in making an actual deal unless it's heavily one sided. That CLS GM seems like a piece of work...

Modern day athletes. Used to be an honour and a privilege to play in the NHL. Now these kids and their agents try and dictate terms after accomplishing nothing. CBJ would never trade a piece like PLD in division. Looks like a banishment to Winterpeg. No offense intended. Two GMs trading headaches.

13 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Modern day athletes. Used to be an honour and a privilege to play in the NHL. Now these kids and their agents try and dictate terms after accomplishing nothing. CBJ would never trade a piece like PLD in division. Looks like a banishment to Winterpeg. No offense intended. Two GMs trading headaches.

Uh oh! Now you are in trouble with Podein25.

6 fantastic roadside attractions within an hour from Winnipeg | Travel  Manitoba

Fossil Discovery Adventure AR App a Finalist at Manitoba Tourism Awards

Moe says 'think twice' before heading to Alberta or Manitoba | Regina  Leader Post

@Zzeke

I'm not from Winnipeg so I don't feel a strong need to defend it. But I had to move away and come back to appreciate it. For those who don't know anything about Wpg besides the cold:

- Some of the best restaurants in all of North America, due to a diverse immigrant population

- A world class ballet and generally one of the best Arts scenes in North America

- A fantastic music scene with many great old theater venues

- Lowest cost of living in all of Canada, cheap housing, cheap electricity (Hydro)

- A diverse economy shielded from the negative effects of big economic slumps

- A world class Zoo with an amazing polar bear exhibit

- The museum of human rights so American neo-Nazis can come learn about the holocaust and other travesties, like Canada's shoddy treatment of Indigenous people

People think Winnipeg is a small city - it's not any longer: the population of the greater Winnipeg municipal area is around 800,000. That's an economic engine which affords, among other things, an NHL hockey team.

Extend your Stay in Winnipeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

That looks amazing.  My family loves Zoo's/Aquariums ...etc.  We have seen several Shark exhibits similar to the photo you posted.  I bet that Polar Bear exhibit is awesome...... :)

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

That looks amazing.  My family loves Zoo's/Aquariums ...etc.  We have seen several Shark exhibits similar to the photo you posted.  I bet that Polar Bear exhibit is awesome...... :)

Good, book a trip post Covid, I can put you up at Chez Podein25's. There's a great steakhouse nearby, you're buying: http://529wellington.ca/

• Like 2

Good, book a trip post Covid, I can put you up at Chez Podein25's. There's a great steakhouse nearby, you're buying: http://529wellington.ca/

In honesty ... I have always wanted to visit Canada.  Now if I just can convince my wife ...haha.

That steak house has me salivating .....

Chef Cooking GIF by Paul Cooks  On Fire Omg GIF by Kaufland

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

In honesty ... I have always wanted to visit Canada.  Now if I just can convince my wife ...haha.

That steak house has me salivating .....

Chef Cooking GIF by Paul Cooks  On Fire Omg GIF by Kaufland

Where is she from?

Edited by Podein25

Where is she from?

She was born in South Carolina, lived in Arizona a bit before moving to PA when in grade school.  She hates the cold but I keep telling her if we visit in the summer Canada has warm temperatures.  I'm trying! :cheers:

Just now, pilldoc said:

She was born in South Carolina, lived in Arizona a bit before moving to PA when in grade school.  She hates the cold but I keep telling her if we visit in the summer Canada has warm temperatures.  I'm trying! :cheers:

Exactly. It's not like Winnipeg is where you'd come to anyway, lol, other than to see me, of course. 

Vancouver, Banff/The Rocky Mountains, the South Shore of Nova Scotia, Montreal. Hamilton (jk)

Not necessarily in that order of ranking, but lots of great places to see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

@Zzeke

I'm not from Winnipeg so I don't feel a strong need to defend it. But I had to move away and come back to appreciate it. For those who don't know anything about Wpg besides the cold:

- Some of the best restaurants in all of North America, due to a diverse immigrant population

- A world class ballet and generally one of the best Arts scenes in North America

- A fantastic music scene with many great old theater venues

- Lowest cost of living in all of Canada, cheap housing, cheap electricity (Hydro)

- A diverse economy shielded from the negative effects of big economic slumps

- The museum of human rights so American neo-Nazis can come learn about the holocaust and other travesties, like Canada's shoddy treatment of Indigenous people

People think Winnipeg is a small city - it's not any longer: the population of the greater Winnipeg municipal area is around 800,000. That's an economic engine which affords, among other things, an NHL hockey team.

Extend your Stay in Winnipeg

I love Winnipeg. My best friend lives there and I try to visit at least once a year. There's one restaurant he brought me to that's close to St.Bonifice and the Soeur Gris that had the best Huevos Rancheros I've ever had. I was also downtown Winnipeg with him and we met Connor Hellebuyck, Blake Wheeler,  Mark Scheifele and Kyle Connor.  Yeah, Winnipeg is such a cool and underrated city. 

• Like 2