Flyers 2020-21 season

58 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I don’t see how we would think anything would change this season  from  how we played in last years playoffs, especially when we didn’t address the key issues. For the most part it’s the same exact team, with the same exact problems.  Sure we got back Lindblom and Patrick and eventually it will help the offense. Even when we had Niskanen, we still needed another good defenseman , so now we really need two defenseman. we still don’t have enough skilled wingers with size , we still don’t have a sniper,  we lack toughness, mental and physical,  and our  supposed top two players Giroux and Voracek are not really top players . We do not have what it takes to go through four rounds of playoffs , on top  the regular season with of all the tough divisional games and barely any rest. It’s gonna  be as tough as the playoffs especially in the last 15-20 games of the season. We are barely ten games in and already have huge injury problems.

I agree!  The 9-1 end to the regular season coupled with 3-0 in the round robin led to delusional thinking.  Our defense is suspect and I don't see a first line that competes with others in the league, which probably explains our inability to control play.  The other factor is our first rounders over the last decade.  I can't say what Farabee, O'Brien, and Frost will amount to.  Meanwhile, we seem to have a superb two-way center, a great D-man, a bottom-six fixture....and then it blurs. I suspect the last half of this season may reveal what we have on our hands with folks like NAK but I am not holding my breath.  Myers and Sanheim--we'll see about them too.  

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Our defense is suspect and I don't see a first line that competes with others in the league, which probably explains our inability to control play.  The other factor is our first rounders over the last decade. 

This is why this team reminds me so much of the Eagles and the Carson Wentz problem. Is it the coaches or the players?

Wentz and Hart are almost the same in the regards that Hart is like Wentz if he does power his team to a win almost single handedly then they won't win.

Just like last Wentz with pretty much no help threw for over 4000 yards and then this year when he struggled and could do it all by himself the fans turned on him so quickly.

I don't want to see the same happen to Hart it is not fair to ask one guy to carry and team and continue to not get him adequate help.

It seems they are spending picks and signing guys but it feels like maybe it's the wrong guys...just like the Eagles.

Well the Eagles cleaned house with the coaching staff and now we will see if it is the players or the staff.

Well in the Flyers case it seems like they have changed the staff and changed the staff and most of us agree it has to be the players. But guess what they are doing the same thing and wanting different results.

When do we hold the players accountable?

And find better players.

I hope our latest first rounders show some promise.  We need a talented first line.  Right now we have a two second lines.  The D may or may not round out.  Gus may not have been a wise acquisition but he will gone after the year. The current cast may not be all that we hoped.  Hart can only do so much.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is why this team reminds me so much of the Eagles and the Carson Wentz problem. Is it the coaches or the players?

In fairness to the Eagles, the question "is it the coaches or the players?" literally applies to every team, in every sport, in every league, in every era, for all time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The 9-1 end to the regular season coupled with 3-0 in the round robin led to delusional thinking.  Our defense is suspect and I don't see a first line that competes with others in the league, which probably explains our inability to control play. 

Howie,

What you've written did indeed happen. There were 4-6 weeks of very good hockey prior to the 9-1 run as well. I don't think anyone was "deluded" we were watching a team dictate play and win a lot of hockey games.

Our Selke winning centerman is out, as is his replacement (the organization's top prospect) so is our #3/2 defenseman.  

How anyone can make definitive statements about this team at this time boggles my mind. 

They have not played well, I'm not trying to gaslight anyone about that. I turned the Bruins game off at 4-1.

I just don't know if we've seen enough of the team to be so gloomy about it's prospects and the players.

Failure to adequately address Niskanen's departure is looking to be the biggest issue I see.  That along with the forwards being 80 ft from the defensemen on attempted zone exits- which can be fixed. 

My hope is the key missing guys get healthy in a decent time frame so this season isn't lost. 

I truly don't expect to see monkey football fing efforts like Saturday's often. 

21 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I know the season hasn't started off so well and a lot of fans aren't enjoying it. But at least Gritty has this to look forward to...

funny

That looks like ex-wife #2....UGH! I think my PTSD just got triggered

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mojo and Gang:

Maybe I was too strong in my language. But I really think the team has some structural problems. We can win with a superb goaltending effort and team D. If we don't get either, it's a bad night. I hope we stabilize quickly. 

BTW, I don't blame AV. He commands respect and holds folks accountable.  I have a feeling his troops can't wear the big boys pants against speedy opponents. They get skated through.  And it is hard to watch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

BTW, I don't blame AV. He commands respect and holds folks accountable.  I have a feeling his troops can't wear the big boys pants against speedy opponents. They get skated through.  And it is hard to watch.

A significant question is whether there is a "coaching" change/adaptation that can address this. If not, this is going to be something that astute coaches seize upon in the video room and shove it down the Flyers' throats.

If there is, then I'm confident AV can find it. Then it's back on the players to execute.

I have no doubt that the squad can compete for the playoffs. It's hard to see them (even at full strength) going toe-to-toe with some of the deeper, experienced teams over four rounds.

We'll see...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

A significant question is whether there is a "coaching" change/adaptation that can address this. If not, this is going to be something that astute coaches seize upon in the video room and shove it down the Flyers' throats.

If there is, then I'm confident AV can find it. Then it's back on the players to execute.

I have no doubt that the squad can compete for the playoffs. It's hard to see them (even at full strength) going toe-to-toe with some of the deeper, experienced teams over four rounds.

We'll see...

Stop me if you've heard this before. Organizational overconfidence from Holmgren, Scott and Fletcher. To me, the roster just isn't good enough. Plain and simple. Not enough scoring depth, not enough size, not enough speed and not enough established talent. Hart was great last season, and covered for some of their flaws, now there are more flaws...and too many for him to cover up although he could be a better netminder than he has shown this season. Has Hart himself been great? No...but I think many of us, myself included, have overestimated what this team is.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Podein25 said:

In fairness to the Eagles, the question "is it the coaches or the players?" literally applies to every team, in every sport, in every league, in every era, for all time.

I know and i only GAF about the Eagles and Flyers but when things are not going well and as far as the Eagles this past season epically bad then you have to find the problem before you can address it.

And now i am concerned with the Flyers as well....sure they aren't in the shape of the Eagles yet but no sense in waiting till it gets that bad before getting to the bottom of it.

With the Eagles we saw the real start of it all that season....Wentz had WR who could separate and get open and when they did they couldn't catch the damn ball and these guys were making some very good top money.

Yet Wentz drug this team to the playoffs and threw for over 4000 yards with not one WR having more than 500 yards...it had never been done before. So what did their dumbass GM do??

He guaranteed the salary of the top WR for the following year after he just under performed the whole season and after starting a bunch of controversy with his QB secretly he thought.

Then he missed most of the season he was guaranteed due to injury and kid took his place and led the NFL in receiving the 5 weeks he played only to be benched when the overpaid WR returned only for him to do nothing once again.

So i know you DGAF about football and the Eagles but i know you care about the Flyers so i do not want the same for the Flyers. So let's get to the bottom of the problem and it ain't the coaches we already know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Then it's back on the players to execute.

Well said i agree. But not all of them save Hart, Ivan, Coots, Lindblom, Myers, Sanheim and TK.

Execute the rest...but please a cigarette and firing squad it's the human way. FIRE AWAY!!!

:salute:

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well said i agree. But not all of them save Hart, Ivan, Coots, Lindblom, Myers, Sanheim and TK.

Execute the rest...but please a cigarette and firing squad it's the human way. FIRE AWAY!!!

:salute:

sounds pretty harsh when we can probably get a 1 or 2 scottie upshall-types for them.

So rumor i seen is that Ottawa is not happy with team and maybe looking to shake the lineup with a trade.

So i wonder if they would do a Erik Gustafsson for Erik Gudbranson or Josh Brown trade.

Just a wonder....gives them another right hand shot on the backend.

Interesting - 

Eklund this morning quoting the radio station in Pittsburgh - 

Today, according to Colin Dunlap, a morning Sports Host on the Fan 97 in Pittsburgh...

“I am told by multiple sources this morning Jim Rutherford was working on a Kris Letang trade to one of the teams he can be traded to. Ownership did not want him doing this. It forced an untenable situation. So here we are.”

It is hard to imagine this is the ONLY reason for Rutherford’s sudden departure, but as of now, the lines are blurred...

Mario Lemieux, who is very close with Rutherford, was said to be shocked by these developments as well...The Penguins have won 4 straight after dropping the first two games of the season to the Flyers...

Who wants Letang?

What would you give for him?

image.gif

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Pass.... he is going to turn 34 this spring and is guaranteed to miss at least 15-20 games a year because of injury. Sorry... no thank you.

Yeah, I mean, we simply can't afford that kind of cap hit, either.    Cap hit + missing 25% of the season, no thank you.   Man, if he could stay healthy or cost less, let's talk.   But then they wouldn't be looking to move him, either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So rumor i seen is that Ottawa is not happy with team and maybe looking to shake the lineup with a trade.

Rumor? Rumor!?!?

Have you seen Ottawa??

1-5-1 with a minus sixteen goal differential? In seven games?

I can't begin to imagine what they would trade to "improve" the roster, much less what they would get back for it.

3 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Interesting - 

Eklund this morning quoting the radio station in Pittsburgh - 

Today, according to Colin Dunlap, a morning Sports Host on the Fan 97 in Pittsburgh...

“I am told by multiple sources this morning Jim Rutherford was working on a Kris Letang trade to one of the teams he can be traded to. Ownership did not want him doing this. It forced an untenable situation. So here we are.”

It is hard to imagine this is the ONLY reason for Rutherford’s sudden departure, but as of now, the lines are blurred...

Mario Lemieux, who is very close with Rutherford, was said to be shocked by these developments as well...The Penguins have won 4 straight after dropping the first two games of the season to the Flyers...

Who wants Letang?

What would you give for him?

image.gif

Who cares **** the Penguins!!!! :cheers:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Haha 1