Flyers 2020-21 season

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He will make a nice reclamation project for some team.

Greetings Occ:

I concur.  On a broader note, I have to wonder if we dump salary for picks?  If the cap is flat for the next few years, that may not be such a bad strategy.  As for the O and B, I suspect it will be time to see if the pool of youngins is as good as the polls and others say. The other part of this relates to what AV said about conditioning for the seniors.  They need to work harder at staying in shape.  That was a telling remark. And it reinforces the reality that G and V are probably not going anywhere.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings Occ:

I concur.  On a broader note, I have to wonder if we dump salary for picks?  If the cap is flat for the next few years, that may not be such a bad strategy.  As for the O and B, I suspect it will be time to see if the pool of youngins is as good as the polls and others say. The other part of this relates to what AV said about conditioning for the seniors.  They need to work harder at staying in shape.  That was a telling remark. And it reinforces the reality that G and V are probably not going anywhere.

I hope the kids hit the weights hard before training camp begins no better time than now to earn a spot since they won't have much room to bring someone in like they usually do.

I think once they get a good look at their progress they will no better to either give them a chance to learn or the job or hey we need to get help outside because they need more time in the AHL.

I hope they take advantage of this chance coming even if it's on the 4th line to start.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They will end up moving Ghost to free up 4 mill unless they take a player back. Which they still could and still pocket some cap space.

I trust Chuckles is working the phones and we may even see something go down at the draft.

I hate to see Ghost but if he isn't going to be given the chance to work on his game might as well get something of value for him.

yes i think ghost is gone he doesnt fit with av and i believe this team will win a cup in a few years because av's successful defensive system that works in the nhl that's why he was my number 2 candidate if q didnt come to come here,  they just need few more players that will fit and believe this team will win it all.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They will end up moving Ghost to free up 4 mill unless they take a player back. Which they still could and still pocket some cap space.

I trust Chuckles is working the phones and we may even see something go down at the draft.

I hate to see Ghost but if he isn't going to be given the chance to work on his game might as well get something of value for him.

And its not just Ghost either that they can move. Both JVR and Voracek don't have NMC clauses in their deal. So, if the Flyers can get out of the two deals with much needed cap space, they'll be ok. 

As for Nolan Patrick, no one is going to sign him to an offer sheet, especially if his future is unknown. It makes zero sense and if someone says 'they'll do it to screw with another team's cap situation', we all know that they'll be crucified for that. 

The Flyers are going to be younger this year. I think that's gong to be the reality we face. There's going to be no big name free agent signings. We'll probably see trades and we'll probably see some prospects head out in deals with players as well. That's going to be the way Chuckles will have to improve the team. 

Of note, I heard a rumour of one deal that would send JVR, Friedman and a draft pick to Montreal for Drouin and a draft pick. Not sure what to make of it, but it's clear that the rumours are starting. 

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

JVR, Friedman and a draft pick to Montreal for Drouin and a draft pick.

of all those young players, Drouin is the least desirable- I sure as **** don't send them a defenseman for him. 

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

John LeClair was also called a floater. We all know how he turned out. Drouin is just in a bad situation. 

Drouin has been in a bad situation since he came into the NHL, he failed in Tampa and now he isnt wanted by his hometown team. So when is he going to reach his potential? He has talent but he does not have a winning attitude . We dont need another physically and mentally soft player on this team, we need real leaders and players with a Bobby Clarke or Mike Richards work ethic to inspire the floaters we already have. I would trade JVR for Drouin,  but not Ghost, but I know Montreal would never want JVR.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Drouin has been in a bad situation since he came into the NHL, he failed in Tampa and now he isnt wanted by his hometown team. So when is he going to reach his potential? He has talent but he does not have a winning attitude . We dont need another physically and mentally soft player on this team, we need real leaders and players with a Bobby Clarke or Mike Richards work ethic to inspire the floaters we already have. I would trade JVR for Drouin,  but not Ghost, but I know Montreal would never want JVR.

JvR plays better north of the border. Hes a closet canadian

jake debrusk is on the block,  would you trade for him?

some fans on the forum says we dont need him, we have players that are better than him like seriously are fans so obbessed with the prospects that you wouldnt trade for talent when it's available? like that's crazy.

Edited by tucson83

Greetings:

Here is a take on Patrick with some merit:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2020/9/17/21440822/nhl-philadelphia-flyers-are-not-going-to-just-let-nolan-patrick-walk-contract-free-agency

He is, as noted, a difficult asset to value.  I suspect a two-year deal in the million mark AAV.  He is not Nico Hischier who had 36 points this year and seems to be progressing. Nico just signed a seven year contract for 7.75 AAV.  Another possibility would be trade if we were send one of our expensive players somewhere--Patrick is compensation for salary pick-up.  Fletcher speaks of him as an integral part moving forward but there hasn't been much talk with the agent.  That's a bit of a contradiction.  

Stay safe,

Howie

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

He didn't fail in Tampa Bay. He produced. Look at hockeydb.com and you'll see that he produced his first full season in Tampa Bay. As for Montreal, it's been a **** show. Claude Julien has tried turning him into something he isn't. Julien thought he could turn him into Brad Marchand. News flash - not everyone is a physical player. Doesn't make them soft in any shape or form. It was like Justin Williams when he was here. Hitchcock GROSSLY misused him. It wasn't until he got to Carolina that they let him grow into the player he could be. That's what it is with Drouin. The talent is there. It's never been an issue of that. Some guys just aren't a good fit in certain environments. 

As for Mike Richards, yeah, no thanks. I want to ensure that my captain or leader isn't an oxycontin junkie or prone to fits when other players would challenge his leadership. 

13 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Here is a take on Patrick with some merit

I actually seen a rumor yesterday that Winnipeg might be interested in trading for Patrick to fill one of their center positions and give him a chance to play for his home town team.

I have to say I would certainly listen.

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Hello:

We have NAK around for another two years:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/flyers-nicolas-aube-kubel-inks-two-year-extension/

I'd say that is a plus for the franchise. 

Good to hear well one down.

I can see Myers being next to lock down.

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Fletcher speaks of him as an integral part moving forward

I think there is another ace up Chuckles sleeve to.

His name is Tanner Laczynski.

There is a good chance he comes in and impresses and locks down that 3rd or even 4th center spot.

He is the same age as Ivan, TK, Myers and Lindblom.

And he is bigger than Frost, Farabee and TK.

He is the same size as Lindblom and Bunnaman, so I think the 6-1 190 forward could impress.

His entry level contract so no sense in keeping him in the AHL if he looks like he can help.

So they do have options and he can kick out to LW if he has too.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think there is another ace up Chuckles sleeve to.

His name is Tanner Laczynski.

There is a good chance he comes in and impresses and locks down that 3rd or even 4th center spot.

He is the same age as Ivan, TK, Myers and Lindblom.

And he is bigger than Frost, Farabee and TK.

He is the same size as Lindblom and Bunnaman, so I think the 6-1 190 forward could impress.

His entry level contract so no sense in keeping him in the AHL if he looks like he can help.

So they do have options and he can kick out to LW if he has too.

I definitely think this is one of the 'things" should it break right, will lead to the club improving. Laczynski has a lot of good qualities.

He's nowhere near the talent that Patrick is.  He does have an ability Patrick hasn't yet and it's availability . 

I also think Issac Ratcliffe could be "something". I saw him last year when the Phantoms came to Hershey.

There were moments where he was the best player on the ice, and other moments where he looked like he wasn't used to his body.

He skated remarkably well for being such a large person. Those are two guys I could see making a push for the Flyers next season.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I definitely think this is one of the 'things" should it break right, will lead to the club improving. Laczynski has a lot of good qualities.

He's nowhere near the talent that Patrick is.  He does have an ability Patrick hasn't yet and it's availability . 

I also think Issac Ratcliffe could be "something". I saw him last year when the Phantoms came to Hershey.

There were moments where he was the best player on the ice, and other moments where he looked like he wasn't used to his body.

He skated remarkably well for being such a large person. Those are two guys I could see making a push for the Flyers next season.

Yeah Ratcliffe still need to learn how to play still and use his size better for the NHL, in juniors isn't wasn't such a big difference when he was bigger than everyone. But in the AHL/NHL they have some big boys he needs to learn to utilize it better and when to use his speed.

Ratty has shown with Suzuki with a solid playmaker he can put the the net.

In fact I think he is the only Flyer's draft prospect to actually score 50 goals in juniors since the Clarke and McLeish days.

That is a long time.

17 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He didn't fail in Tampa Bay. He produced. Look at hockeydb.com and you'll see that he produced his first full season in Tampa Bay. As for Montreal, it's been a **** show. Claude Julien has tried turning him into something he isn't. Julien thought he could turn him into Brad Marchand. News flash - not everyone is a physical player. Doesn't make them soft in any shape or form. It was like Justin Williams when he was here. Hitchcock GROSSLY misused him. It wasn't until he got to Carolina that they let him grow into the player he could be. That's what it is with Drouin. The talent is there. It's never been an issue of that. Some guys just aren't a good fit in certain environments. 

As for Mike Richards, yeah, no thanks. I want to ensure that my captain or leader isn't an oxycontin junkie or prone to fits when other players would challenge his leadership. 

You get my point, we don’t need any questionable players. No one is disputing Drouin’s talent. Over the years  I’ve seen players like him come and go , Galenychuk  and Kovalev are guys that  had great talent but had character issues. Richards turned into a druggie after double shoulder surgery, and he doesn’t have the natural talent of Drouin or the guys I mentioned , but he came to play every night. I would rather have a little less talented player with a heart than a skilled player with no guts. Drouin is another Voracek, we don’t need any more players like that. We need winners and motivators. If Montreal wants JVR or Voracek for Drouin I will make that trade. We need to dump a lackadaisical player before we add another.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Drouin is another Voracek, we don’t need any more players like that

Interesting point. Speaking on Jake, I think we often focus on what we have now, and forget what he was when he first came. In 2015 he was dominant and among the league leaders (81 pts). He could easily skate out of the zone with the puck at will. A few seasons later he put up 85. So if we traded for a "soft" player, doing that, i would take it.

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Interesting point. Speaking on Jake, I think we often focus on what we have now, and forget what he was when he first came. In 2015 he was dominant and among the league leaders (81 pts). He could easily skate out of the zone with the puck at will. A few seasons later he put up 85. So if we traded for a "soft" player, doing that, i would take it.

Voracek is a good player, but he has these annoying habits that he still has not corrected after all these years in the league. On the PP they usually give him the puck to rush up ice and a lot of the time and he does a good job ,but after he beats the first few guys, he holds onto the puck too long ,and tries to beat two more guys and blows an open chance at setting anyone up and he ends up taking himself out of the play. He never works a give and go and and he skates into a wall of players and turns it over. He holds the puck when he should pass it and when he has an open shot he is looking to pass it. It drives me insane. We have to dump salary , so if we can dump Jake or JVR ,we have to do it. Jake is definitely a more valuable player to the Flyers and also as a trade chip than JVR, but if we trade Jake ,we may have to pickup some of the $$ due to the amount of his contract and the term or else take another Jori Lethera as part of the deal we make.Then In the off season we can hope Seattle takes JVR or offer them something to take him. If we are unable to do anything as far as a trade or working out something with Seattle, before  I let Laughton or NAK get claimed , I would trade them and at least get something and leave Seattle with either JVR as Jake as their choice.

• Like 1