Flyers 2020-21 season

I'm looking at the Senators sitting there with 3 first round picks this year in the draft (13 total to use)....could Chuckles persuade them into something of value to help use up that 39 million in cap space for say for Connor Brown (RFA) and a draft pick???

Just wondering aloud.....

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm looking at the Senators sitting there with 3 first round picks this year in the draft (13 total to use)....could Chuckles persuade them into something of value to help use up that 39 million in cap space for say for Connor Brown (RFA) and a draft pick???

Just wondering aloud.....

If this draft is as good as I've been reading...no way do I trade any of my 3 first picks. 

In 3 years the Sens will be young and dangerous. 

They already suck to play against as it is. 

All they have to do is not step on their cranks.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

If this draft is as good as I've been reading...no way do I trade any of my 3 first picks. 

I can see them keeping their first two picks in the first but i would look to move the 28th pick for some help now...unless they want to tank again...

The problem in Ottawa is that Eugene Melnyk is a cheap ass son of a bitch that wants to keep the budget as low as possible. He'll only deal for players with big cap hits, but low salary pay outs. He's all but directed Pierre Dorion to move out salary as much as possible, with the exception of Thomas Chabot. Just watch what happens when Tkachuk comes up for contract renewal. He'll ask for 8 and Dorion will low ball him at 4 or 5 and then move him for trash pieces.

I think it's a no brainer the Flyers have to move some salary out for this to happen but i have said i would entertain this before.

Our favorite Flyer rumor guy at it again...

On Gaudreau and the Flyers...
I am told this possibility is really only there if the Flames can get Taylor Hall to return home to play, but if that does happen there is a deal that could be made (e4)

So i'll leave it here to discuss. I think he and Hayes could rekindle their college days magic and worst case it's 1 or 2 year experiment to see if that can take place. But for two years 6.7 mill per why not especially if we are hoping Giroux, Jake and JVR get their heads out of their arses...why not move on of these bums and see if he can help???

If you could move out JVR for this roll of the dice i would go for it. Worst case scenario he doesn't workout and you trade him in the offseason with one year left on his deal or by the 2021-22 trade dead line as a playoff rental.

Feel free to chime in or rant about something...

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think it's a no brainer the Flyers have to move some salary out for this to happen but i have said i would entertain this before.

I am told this possibility is really only there if the Flames can get Taylor Hall to return home to play, but if that does happen there is a deal that could be made (e4)

So i'll leave it here to discuss. I think he and Hayes could rekindle their college days magic and worst case it's 1 or 2 year experiment to see if that can take place. But for two years 6.7 mill per why not especially if we are hoping Giroux, Jake and JVR get their heads out of their arses...why not move on of these bums and see if he can help???

If you could move out JVR for this roll of the dice i would go for it. Worst case scenario he doesn't workout and you trade him in the offseason with one year left on his deal or by the 2021-22 trade dead line as a playoff rental.

Again, for JVR I'd do it. I don't see him getting us any further than we are. He just seems like yet another guy who would be frustrating to watch in the playoffs.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

One can only hope they can move Van Useless.... 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Again, for JVR I'd do it. I don't see him getting us any further than we are. He just seems like yet another guy who would be frustrating to watch in the playoffs.

I believe he Hayes and TK could be an amazing line. I would love to roll the dice on it. And if he isn't then you can move on.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I haven't seen this anywhere so i figured why not post this here...

Provorov - Pietrangelo

Sanheim - Myers

Zamula - Friedman

Morin

Move Niskanen, Ghost and Hagg.....no one wake me please....

If you can move out these assets you have to go all in on AP.

I would love this move.

Niskenen frees up 5.7 mill.

Ghost 4.5 mill.

And Hagg around 1 mill.

It frees up 11.2 mill to pursue AP. 

What will it take per year 8.5? 9?

Do it.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If you can move out these assets you have to go all in on AP.

I would love this move.

Niskenen frees up 5.7 mill.

Ghost 4.5 mill.

And Hagg around 1 mill.

It frees up 11.2 mill to pursue AP. 

What will it take per year 8.5? 9?

Do it.

The only problem then is the expansion draft. The three defensemen works more than likely be Provorov, Sanheim and Myers. And if people think that because of the contract, the purple in Seattle wouldn't select Pietrangelo, I'm saying think again. The owners have some DEEP pockets, so an $8.5 million and above deal won't frighten them off. 

I say keep on the path, try to rid the team of bloated contracts and continue working younger players into the lineup. 

In regards to Patrick he isn't eligible I believe for arbitration or offer sheet since he hasn't played enough/any games this past season, don't know about LTIR status with entry level players as well.

But bubble hockey, cap freeze and expansion all cause a perfect storm of unpredictability for next season.

I guess when the next contagion, alien invasion particle beam attack or  Battle Royale elections happen, we can arm chair this for a while.

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I haven't seen this anywhere so i figured why not post this here...

Provorov - Pietrangelo

Sanheim - Myers

Zamula - Friedman

Morin

Move Niskanen, Ghost and Hagg.....no one wake me please....

I'd love to get Pietrangelo. Best defenceman we've ever had here in Barrie...and Ekblad was no slouch as a junior.

It's rare for a #1 defenceman in his prime to come available...so there's going to be a bidding war. Leafs will be trying to pay their entire cap to 5 players. The Avs could be thinking he's the final piece to a cup. The Oilers need a #1. Rumor is he wants to go to the Knights. St Louis is obviously also in the fray.

I imagine he'll get a NTC so even if we did win the bidding war he's going to end up costing us Myers or Sanheim as well in the expansion draft.

@flyercanuck

yeah, I know he's a couple of years younger than Pronger when that happened but it's hard to want to ship a lot of salary out and then re- tie the cap up for years on a guy on the downslope of his career.

Right now he's a legit top 3 in the league player (with Hedman & Josi) at his position where will he be in 3 years? 

I wouldn't be loving the scenario that makes him available to the Flyers, especially if AP falters or suffers some injuries and the casualties from the deal go on to have good careers. 

He's a game changer but after the last 10 years of treading water this group is starting to doggie paddle- I'd hate to derail a possible decade of contention for a possible 4 years of contention. 

• Like 2

@OccamsRazor

I don't mind this deal.

Bobby was actually "alright" in his role.  He's not afraid to hit guys which is needed IMO. 

This isn't a cap crippling deal. If he's included in trade there won't be a need to retain salary.

I like the player for his role. I don't mind it. 

i don't mind giving him a raise either, he was a consummate professional this year, he didn't whine about minutes, and when he played he played well. 

• Like 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I don't mind this deal.

Bobby was actually "alright" in his role.  He's not afraid to hit guys which is needed IMO. 

This isn't a cap crippling deal. If he's included in trade there won't be a need to retain salary.

I like the player for his role. I don't mind it. 

i don't mind giving him a raise either, he was a consummate professional this year, he didn't whine about minutes, and when he played he played well. 

I do you don't overpay for a 6th or 7th defenseman especially with Ghost already making 4.5 mill to ride the bench and when cap space is already tight...you just don't do it. I'm not the biggest fan of Hagg he has a lot of holes in his game...so now what do they do with Ghost??

No way you can't afford to go through another year of yo yoing him in and out of the lineup. Feels like they are painting themselves into a familiar corner...

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I do you don't overpay for a 6th or 7th defenseman especially with Ghost already making 4.5 mill to ride the bench and when cap space is already tight...you just don't do it. I'm not the biggest fan of Hagg he has a lot of holes in his game...so now what do they do with Ghost??

I think Ghost is as good as gone.

I don't think 1.6 m aav for an NHL defenseman that can actually  play is horrible YMMV.

It's 2 years less than 2 million aav and not my money. It doesn't cripple the team.

I can't muster any outrage for this.

On a semi-related note, I have no idea what's going to happen this off-season or with the draft...but, I'm not fearful that the I"ll wake up and the 2 best players will be on different teams. Conversely I am also not worried that Dale Weisse is going to have a return engagement with the team either. 

I have a fair amount of I don't know if confidence is the right word, but I don't feel like the team is being run in the same manner that kosmo kramer made sausage.

Edited by mojo1917

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't feel like the team is being run in the same manner that kosmo kramer made sausage.

Flyers name Chris Stewart Player Development Coach

NHL veteran joins Flyers Hockey Operations staff in development role

AthleticSaneAztecant-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers name Chris Stewart Player Development Coach

NHL veteran joins Flyers Hockey Operations staff in development role

AthleticSaneAztecant-size_restricted.gif

A. Those guys won for a while.

B. Stewie is a good person, who had struggles as a professional, he's most likely a decent mentor. 
Them's that can't do- teach.

• Uggh... 1

Flyers Serious About Gostisbehere Trade

We’d discussed the rumors before, but Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic confirms that defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere of the Philadelphia Flyers is available in trade. LeBrun writes that the team has moved beyond just contemplating a trade, but “shown a serious willingness” to move Gostisbehere for the first time.

The 27-year-old blueliner has three more years on his deal at a $4.5 million cap hit, although the cash payout is $3.25 million per season from here on out because it was a front-loaded deal. That might be appealing to some teams.

He screams change of scenery, that’s for sure. And it appears he may get one.

source – ‘LeBrun: New GMs fast at work in Arizona and Florida ahead of pivotal offseason’ – Pierre LeBrun – The Athletic – 09/28/2020

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

'm not the biggest fan of Hagg he has a lot of holes in his game...so now what do they do with Ghost??

My first reaction to this trade was Ghost is Toast.  Seriously, why pay north of four million for someone who may have sputtered out? Hagg is marginally competent. I suspect they see Ghost as gone--makes me think there has already been a feeler.  

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think this is about 300K to much but what ya gonna do...

...so about 6.2 mill left to resign Myers and a backup goalie with and then for who else????

Out of 199 defensemen in the NHL, Hagg rated 199th. He is awful and it's too bad because when he played in Sweden, he looked like a legitimate top four defenseman and 2nd PP guy. He had great upside. He then goes to Philadelphia and it's like he forgot everything he was taught. I know that during his first year, there were rumours of home sickness and that he was ready to go back overseas, but he gutted it out. It's too bad that every coach he's ever had in North America coached the skill and usefulness right out of him. The Flyers spent $1.6 million too much on him. Hopefully he's just exposure material for Seattle and they bite on him.

As for Ghost, I'm sad at what's become of him. His knee injuries and how Haktard and company tried to fundamentally change his game pretty much broke him. I had high hopes that Yeo would get him back on track because Yeo has a good track record working with defensemen, but it just became an instance that a change of scenery will do Ghost good. I'm convinced that he ends up in either Detroit or Minnesota, depending on what happens with both Torey Krug and Matt Dumba. 

As for Philadelphia, I'm guessing that means we're going to see our defense look like:

Provorov - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Hoggwart - Friedman

UFA