Flyers 2020-21 season

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure where the Fridge is these days.

These days, i think he's in recovery for multiple issues

I was not right on the "scout" question. Turns out he was an assistant coach for a Flyers affiliate in the ECHL

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

These days, i think he's in recovery for multiple issues

I was not right on the "scout" question. Turns out he was an assistant coach for a Flyers affiliate in the ECHL

Yes. In 2011, Fedoruk was named assistant coach of the Flyers' ECHL affiliate, the Trenton Titans and he served in that role for two seasons until 2013.

He can be seen at the Flyers SkateZone in Vorhees from time to time because he lives nearby in Mount Laurel.

francis-lessard-of-the-atlanta-thrashers

Okay guys. Tried to get some conversation going by asking the question:

Since Laine is a Finn, and there would be no Finns on our Flyers to help mentor him - - 

led to a mention of Swedes on our Flyers team - - 4 Swedes - - who are they?

This should trigger some interesting conversation.

oskar-lindblom-of-the-philadelphia-flyer

44 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Okay guys. Tried to get some conversation going by asking the question:

Since Laine is a Finn, and there would be no Finns on our Flyers to help mentor him - - 

led to a mention of Swedes on our Flyers team - - 4 Swedes - - who are they?

This should trigger some interesting conversation.

I only got three:

Linblom

Hagg

Erik Gustafsson (new)

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I only got three:

Linblom

Hagg

Erik Gustafsson (new)

Yes P25. That is why I posted the question. The 4th may be controversial and may need discussion.

shjon-podein-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-

4 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Yes P25. That is why I posted the question. The 4th may be controversial and may need discussion.

shjon-podein-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-

I hope in posting that fabulous picture that you're not suggesting Shjon Podein was Swedish? His grandparents probably were though. 

Is it Felix Sandstrom? What's the criteria, have to be under contract?

It's gotta be him or Linus Hogberg you're thinking of

Edited by Podein25

Yeah Sandstrom might be running out of time.

Ustimenko seems to be getting the nod in LV and Sandstrom unless bumps Lyon could be headed for Reading.

On top of that Ersson and Fedotov are looking like they may be needing to make the jump to North America come 2021-22.

So if so where would they play within the log jam?

Hopefully by then someone like Ustimenko can be ready to replace Elliottt and make room for someone in the AHL.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Don't forget Linus Sandin. And his blanket...

Bingo! Linus Sandin is the 4th Flyers Swede.

OR wins the grand prise - - 2 tics to the Flyers opener at the WFC Sat eve January 2 vs the NJD.    animated-hockey-smiley-image-0001

RT flight included, Tampa to Philadelphia.

All dates are tentative.

I have a strong feeling that Sandin makes the team out of the December Camp as the 3RW.

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick*-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)
#13-Raffl

(JVR out)

* or Frost, if PatricK is not healthy.

hungary-vs-sweden-budapest-shutterstock-

Linus Sandin (R) of Sweden and goalie Bence Balizs of Hungary

• Good Post 1

11 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, so I finally think I understand you:  think he will make the team before them other Swedes?

I think he'll have to beat Raffl or NAK or another forward out to get in though.

I won't say he can't but those guys are kind of proven.

However if he can show some kind of scoring touch he'll have a better chance they are hard pressed for scoring.

However if he wants a chance he better bring his 200 foot game.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he'll [Sandin] have to beat Raffl or NAK or another forward out to get in though.

I won't say he can't but those guys are kind of proven.

However if he can show some kind of scoring touch he'll have a better chance they are hard pressed for scoring.

However if he wants a chance he better bring his 200 foot game.

Good stuff. You are right about Sandin as a scorer.

There is room on the 23-man roster for all 3 - Raffl, NAK, Sandin:

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick*-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
#13-Raffl
(JVR out)

Sandin is a high-scoring RW. He finished the SHL season tied for third in scoring with 19 goals and 36 points in 51 games. The SHL is a strong pro league and the top pro league in Sweden.

Fletcher said the 6-foot-1, 209-pound Sandin will “come into camp and compete for a spot on our team right away. He works extremely hard and we expect him to add size, skill, and tenacity to our forward group.”

Flahr said "He works hard, plays a North American-type game, and goes to the net and gets greasy goals. He always seems to be around the puck and has some tenacity. I think it [will] be a big camp for him."

The emergence of Sandin (RW), Laczynski (C), and Allison (RW), along with Frost (C), is the reason that Fletcher allowed UFAs Pitlick, Grant, and Thompson to leave. Need to make roster room. We liked Pitlick, but it is time to play some some young, very promising, prospects, and roster space is needed. Our Flyers were rated as #2 in NHL Prospect Pool (Buffalo was #1).

Most lilkely one of these 4 players will make the team out of Camp. 3RW is open, and therefore Sandin has the best chance because he is a proven pro (SHL) and is a scorer and is responsible in all 3 zones. Sandin is a middle-6 NHL forward.

We like NAK. He has played well when elevated to 3RW. But also, he fits AVs 4th line profile/requirement:

- hard skating, hard forechecking, pin the other team in their own end, fast/strong backchecking, defensive work, PK duty.

Frost? We all look forward to him and his high skill level. It will be fun watching him play. At some point he will be ready when he adds some weight, strength, and learns the discipline of playing 200'.

If Patrick is healthy, he will play 3C. No room for Frost yet. There is no indication that Frost has played wing in Jrs or AHL. Perhaps they may try him at wing with the Phantoms this season (AHL starts in Feb). Anyone see/read that Frost has played wing?

If Patrick can't play because of health, it seems that Frost has the best chance to be the 3C.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV0G81ai5ix5xlR_DDwBD

What do you guys think of this ESPN ranking? - - 

NHL Power Rankings: Mid-offseason edition

ESPN
Nov 16, 2020

Welcome to the dead of the offseason. The NHL awarded a Stanley Cup in September after a most unusual 2019-20 season, and the league is hoping to get back on track in January. While GMs have been faced with several challenges -- including managing a flat salary cap, preparing for next season's uncertainty as well as the 2021 expansion draft -- they have stayed busy, with plenty of roster maneuvering.

How we rank: The ESPN hockey editorial staff submits selections ranking teams 1-31 -- taking into account past results and offseason additions -- and those results are tabulated in the list featured here.

1. Tampa Bay Lightning
2. Colorado Avalanche
3. Vegas Golden Knights
4. Dallas Stars
5. Boston Bruins
6. New York Islanders
7. Washington Capitals
8. Philadelphia Flyers
9. St. Louis Blues
10. Carolina Hurricanes
11. Toronto Maple Leafs
12. Pittsburgh Penguins
13. Columbus Blue Jackets
14. Vancouver Canucks
15. Montreal Canadiens
16. Calgary Flames
17. Edmonton Oilers
18. Winnipeg Jets
19. New York Rangers
20. Buffalo Sabres
21. Nashville Predators
22. Arizona Coyotes
23. Florida Panthers
24. Minnesota Wild
25. Chicago Blackhawks
26. New Jersey Devils
27. San Jose Sharks
28. Anaheim Ducks
29. Los Angeles Kings
31. Detroit Red Wings

sean-couturier-of-the-philadelphia-flyer

I dont see how the Flyers making any significant move to be a better team. They are solid in goal. The puck stops there. Everything else has too many unknowns

The defense took a hit with the loss of Nisky. I dont see how it will be improved, even with the studs getting more experience. A hole is still exists

On offense, unless JVR, G, Jake and TK put up great production, all the fantasy hope for these young players is just wishful thinking. There needs to be someone who can be counted on and will invoke fear in the oppostion

I think we will see a well disciplined defensive unit that will grind out a solid season, give us hope, and then get run in the playoffs

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

He works extremely hard and we expect him to add size, skill, and tenacity to our forward group.”

We'll see it will sort itself out in camp and preseason.

May the best man win.

Raffl is a UFA at seasons end so maybe Sandin can take his spot as a younger version of Raffl or maybe he proves even more valuable.

Time will tell.

Laughton is also a UFA there will be a slot of for grabs maybe after the following year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

We'll see it will sort itself out in camp and preseason.

May the best man win.

Raffl is a UFA at seasons end so maybe Sandin can take his spot as a younger version of Raffl or maybe he proves even more valuable.

Time will tell.

Laughton is also a UFA there will be a slot of for grabs maybe after the following year.

I cant keep up

How many years is this?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont see how the Flyers making any significant move to be a better team. They are solid in goal. The puck stops there. Everything else has too many unknowns

The defense took a hit with the loss of Nisky. I dont see how it will be improved, even with the studs getting more experience. A hole is still exists

On offense, unless JVR, G, Jake and TK put up great production, all the fantasy hope for these young players is just wishful thinking. There needs to be someone who can be counted on and will invoke fear in the oppostion

I think we will see a well disciplined defensive unit that will grind out a solid season, give us hope, and then get run in the playoffs

The optimistic view is:

Improvement/growth from last season - 8 young players already on roster who are far from their peak - this is a great point not to be overlooked -

>> Fletcher said he and his staff had counted "eight players on the NHL roster that haven't come close to hitting their peak and to having their career seasons." "That's the exciting thing," Fletcher said. "That's our growth." <<

Hmm - 8 roster players:
1) Myers
2) Sanheim
3) Farabee
4) Konecny
5) Lindblom
6) Patrick (health permitting)
7) Aube-Kubel
😎 Hart

If Patrick has health issues, Frost goes to his natural Center position. For those who like to say 'Frost hasn't proven', there is only one way to prove he is NHL ready at this point - - play him with NHL skill linemates and get the experience.

And, RW Sandin is a real possibility as he is ready for the NHL.

This team will score goals. Our Flyers last season were 7th in the 31-team NHL in 'goals scored'. They played 1 and 2 games less than the two teams ahead of them, and could easily have been 5th in the League. As Fletcher said, don't be fooled by the 13 game small sample size of the bubble playoffs.

Once Paul Holmgren was relieved of his duties as the General Manager and reassigned in the organization, Ron Hextall was hired and decided it was best to attempt to offload some of the larger contracts and focus on building through the NHL Draft. The good news is, this has yielded some excellent players and has made the future incredibly bright for the Flyers. The bad news? It tested the patience of not only we, the fan base, but also the organization as a whole.

Once they committed to a grassroots rebuild, the Flyers’ seemingly hit home run after home run after home run in the NHL Draft 1st Round: Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny, Frost, Farabee have all already contributed for the Flyers (some more than others), and all look set to continue to improve and contribute for many years moving forward.

The Flyers’ draft success is not just limited to the 1st Round. NAK (2nd Round) looks like he is set to be a really solid bottom-six forward for this team. And of course, the future (if not current?) face of the franchise, Carter Hart, was selected in the 2nd Round.

And, signing undrafted free agents 1) Philippe Myers, who looks set to be a top-pairing defenseman, top-four at worst, for the next 5-10 years at least, and 2) RW Linus Sandin, a goal scoring middle-six forward, have been excellent moves.

>> The Flyers have completely altered how they operate as an organization, and it has changed the outlook of this team moving forward. Gone are the days where the Flyers spend in free agency just to spend. The entire ideology of the franchise has changed, and simply put; it is for the better. <<

We fans, who are upset with how nothing has been accomplished in free agency other than signing defenceman Gustafsson, can now understand the new philosophy approach of building primarily through the Draft, good Cap Management, and signing selected UFAs.

Now an excellent crop of young NHLers and prospects:

Oskar Lindblom
Travis Konecny
Joel Farabee
Nolan Patrick
Morgan Frost
Connor Bunnaman
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Linus Sandin
Wade Allison

Ivan Provorov
Travis Sanheim
Philippe Myers
Egor Zamula
Wyatte Wylie
Cameron York
Mark Friedman

Carter Hart
Kirill Ustimenko
Felix Sandstrom

2020-21 and the future is bright.

philippe-myers-of-the-philadelphia-flyer

• Like 1

Wow! LW Desnoyers has scored again! He now has 12 goals in 16 games for the Halifax Mooseheads in the QMJHL.

Last season with the Moncton Wildcats he scored 11 goals over 61 games.

A developing Flyers prospect from this year's Draft, 5th Round.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ7lSBchHw0CSzWmVyzHJ

24 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Wow! LW Desnoyers has scored again! He now has 12 goals in 16 games for the Halifax Mooseheads in the QMJHL.

I've seen enough: trade him, his value will never be higher

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 2

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ7lSBchHw0CSzWmVyzHJ

Make him captain!

• Like 1