Flyers 2020-21 season

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Should be able to just copy the browser link and then paste it.

Thx OR.

Getting his team ready for the game, 8 year old goalie does his thing:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today by Sam Carchidi on Flyers defenceman Sam Morin.

Flyers
Sam Morin, LD
6'-7", 230
2013 Draft 1st Round #11
Has Pronger nasty in his game

Twice torn ACL Right Knee
Grueling Rehab
Now has been skating at the Flyers Training Center in Voorhees for several months.

Played 28 Games over 3 seasons (8 Flyers, 20 Phantoms)

Article Excerpts:

>> Assistant coach Ian Laperriere, a fellow French Canadian who overcame lots of adversity of his own during his playing days, has helped Morin get through rough spots with numerous one-on-one chats. And Kjell Samuelsson, the former defenseman who is the Flyers’ director of player development, has been by his side during many of his rehab skating sessions.

Morin has been lifting weights and skating in Voorhees for a few months. He is about a year removed from his second ACL surgery and said he was “back to full speed.”

“When camp starts, I have to be ready to go,” he said. “I still have some work to do, but the knee feels good. That’s the important part.”

The NHL hopes to start training camps in mid-December and the season on Jan. 1. Morin has virtually no chance to make the team because of his inactivity the last three years, so he figures to play with the Phantoms if he clears waivers – with his injured past and his age, it’s unlikely he would be claimed – to get his game back in order.

Deep down, Morin said, “I really do believe I’m going to be a hockey player again and have a nice career. I’m so lucky and thankful right now. I’m healthy again, and I just need to play. I just need to control what I can control.

“He’s probably going to have to go in the American League and get 50, 60 games staying healthy under his belt,” Flyers coach Alain Vigneault said recently. “He’s got to get a chance to play.” <<

Full Article:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-samuel-morin-sam-acl-torn-surgery-surgeries-ian-laperriere-kjell-knee-alain-vigneault-20201123.html

It seems that there is no room on the flyers now, or in the forseeable future, for Morin with the current 6-man unit and with excellent prospects coming:

2020-21 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded

Zamula

Wylie

York

If Morin has an excellent Phantoms season here in 2020-21 and his right knee is good, perhaps he could be a #7 defenceman with our Flyers for 2021-22 and forward? His D-zone play, size, reach, and his toughness could be an asset.

The NY Rangers know - 

samuel-morin-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-

• Like 1

Reported today -

Uh-oh, a bad sign for the NHL formulating plans to start Camps and the season soon -

JARMO KEKALAINEN

GM, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

The Columbus Blue Jackets have sent out a statement that says several players have tested positive for COVID-19.

The Blue Jackets closed their facilities on November 16 and it is expected to remain closed through the Thanksgiving weekend holiday as no workouts were scheduled this week. No names have been announced and it is possible that no names will ever be known.

SOURCE: Frank Seravalli on Twitter

Nov 24, 2020, 10:13 AM ET

KELLY MCCRIMMON

GM, VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS

Four Vegas Golden Knights have tested positive for COVID-19.

No names have been released. It is the first known outbreak amongst players in the NHL since March and the Golden Knights have shut down their facilities. “Those individual players have been self-isolating and are all recovering well," the Golden Knights wrote in a statement. "As a precautionary measure, the Golden Knights off-ice player areas (locker room, lounge, gym, training room and video room) will be closed to all players and team staff through the Thanksgiving holiday weekend." More players could be infected and as well, multiple family members have been infected according to the statement. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: TSN.ca

Nov 24, 2020, 7:34 AM ET 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF1EAYEff203fZVZ7rqtu

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Reported today -

Uh-oh, a bad sign for the NHL formulating plans to start Camps and the season soon -

JARMO KEKALAINEN

GM, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

The Columbus Blue Jackets have sent out a statement that says several players have tested positive for COVID-19.

The Blue Jackets closed their facilities on November 16 and it is expected to remain closed through the Thanksgiving weekend holiday as no workouts were scheduled this week. No names have been announced and it is possible that no names will ever be known.

SOURCE: Frank Seravalli on Twitter

Nov 24, 2020, 10:13 AM ET

KELLY MCCRIMMON

GM, VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS

Four Vegas Golden Knights have tested positive for COVID-19.

No names have been released. It is the first known outbreak amongst players in the NHL since March and the Golden Knights have shut down their facilities. “Those individual players have been self-isolating and are all recovering well," the Golden Knights wrote in a statement. "As a precautionary measure, the Golden Knights off-ice player areas (locker room, lounge, gym, training room and video room) will be closed to all players and team staff through the Thanksgiving holiday weekend." More players could be infected and as well, multiple family members have been infected according to the statement. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: TSN.ca

Nov 24, 2020, 7:34 AM ET 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF1EAYEff203fZVZ7rqtu

The show must go on.

It will be a long time before we aren't having folks who test positive.

Continue to wash your hands and wear a mask and carry on.

Can't live in fear.

Life goes on

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The show must go on.

It will be a long time before we aren't having folks who test positive.

Continue to wash your hands and wear a mask and carry on.

Can't live in fear.

Life goes on

This does not seem unreasonable to me.

I wish I could support your statement more fully.

At the same time-  IMO it is foolish to not heed easy to follow advice.

The virus spreads in gatherings of people? avoid those where possible until such time that folks have been inoculated and people can gather safely.

I don't know how operating at below 50% capacity provides anything but risk to the staff and patrons in most public situations.

The unnecessary loss of life associated with this pandemic has been unacceptable to me and should be to all who value human life.

Making public health into a political/tribal matter has been catastrophically stupid.

It did not need to kill over a quarter of a million of us. 

yet here we are. Some food for thought.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

early estimates predict that the overall COVID-19 recovery rate is between 97% and 99.75%.

In my reading I'm seeing consensus around 1% death rate.

No argument over that. 

1% of 300 million is too big a number of fatalities when simple steps can mitigate the spread and make that number less daunting.

A relative unknown is long term health effects from it, some people fight it off, others have a long hauler effect, others still have cardio vascular inflammation as a result.  

Sorry to add to derailing the topic.

I hope the Flyers are good in 20/21

• Like 1

As @mojo1917 mentioned,

Please try to keep this thread on topic with regards to the Flyers 20-21 season.  We have a dedicated COVID thread here:

https://www.hockeyforums.net/topic/92866-covid-coronavirus-and-the-fallout/

thanks

Edited by pilldoc

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's been awhile now but time to fire up ol to the Flyer's rumors here is your truly...

Source: Leafs Still Listening to Offers for Nylander from Flyers (e4)

>> a source tells me they have had talks over the past few days with the Flyers regarding a top D-man for Nylander <<

Slow time. He needs site hits.

But, just for conversation purposes, the 3 'rumors' floated this off-season have been for wingers Gaudreau, Laine, and Nylander. How would we rank them in fit for our Flyers?

Also, what E is ignoring is - - having a quality top-2 pairs of defencemen are a lot harder to get than skilled forwards (top-9). The Sanheim-Myers pair of big, great skating, 2-way young mobile defencemen, along with Provorov, will be a pillar of the Flyers defense for many years. GMs around the league salavate at getting any of these guys. No way does Fletcher move any of them. (unless it's for Connor McDavid 😎 )

In 3 seasons from now, the Flyers will have the best 6-man mobile defense in the NHL that can excel in all 3 zones:

LD - RD

Provorov-Zamula
Sanheim-Myers (RH)
York-Friedman (RH) (maybe Gustafsson)
#7 - Hagg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp5DshQGuiPZykzaHDMFP

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Also, what E is ignoring is - - having a quality top-2 pairs of defencemen are a lot harder to get than skilled forwards (top-9). The Sanheim-Myers pair of big, great skating, 2-way young mobile defencemen

I agree and look how long it took them to finally get them....and Eklund now just expects them to give one a way for a guy who is infamous for playing soft come playoff time.

I think not. As you said he is just dangling click bait.

And it is slow and nothing much else to talk about.

49 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

In 3 seasons from now, the Flyers will have the best 6-man mobile defense in the NHL that can excel in all 3 zones

.....but we will still be 2 seasons away from having any young offensive players ready to step in 😅

There is no question that the Flyers strength is D. That includes in goal. Nisky was a set back, and I think it will take a full season to recover from that loss. But as we saw in the PO, defense alone couldnt get it done. If they dont improve their play up front, by the time these young players are ready, we will lose these d-men to expiring contracts

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Eklund now just expects them to give one a way for a guy who is infamous for playing soft come playoff time

Yeah, who needs another player like that when we already have 4 lines worth?

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

.....but we will still be 2 seasons away from having any young offensive players ready to step in 😅 - - - 

But as we saw in the PO, defense alone couldnt get it done. If they dont improve their play up front, by the time these young players are ready, we will lose these d-men to expiring contracts

Good points. Additionally - -

1) Goal scoring may not be a big issue. Our Flyers last season were 7th in the 31-team NHL in 'goals scored' (They played 1 and 2 games less than the two teams ahead of them, and could easily have been 5th in the League).

2) The reminder from GM Fletcher - don't draw conclusions from the small sample size of the 13 games of the Bubble Playoffs. I think he is right.

3) The possibility, depending on circumstances, of one of these skill forwards making the team soon (as you said - next 2 seasons): Sandin, Frost, Allison - - most likely Sandin this season - - age 24, is a goal scorer with SHL pro experience.

Other positives for optimism:

1) the addition of Lindblom and potentially Patrick

2) young rostered players have not yet peaked and will get better and better: Konecny, Farabee, NAK, Bunnaman (in his 4th line role), Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Hart

Actually, thinking about the end of the 2019-20 regular season success to climb to the top and how well the team was in sync, and also knowing that finally the top-rated (2nd behind Buffalo) prospect pool is/will be ready to emerge, the future seems bright for our Flyers.

IN2HQBKINJDIZNYKIYFVFN7S3A.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

.....but we will still be 2 seasons away from having any young offensive players ready to step in 😅

There is no question that the Flyers strength is D. That includes in goal. Nisky was a set back, and I think it will take a full season to recover from that loss. But as we saw in the PO, defense alone couldnt get it done. If they dont improve their play up front, by the time these young players are ready, we will lose these d-men to expiring contracts

Yes we saw other teams like the Isles clog up the middle and force them to be a perimeter team and they tried but couldn't even get any quality shots through on net or when they did there seemed to be no one who could pounce of the rebound.

That has to change they need some forwards who are going to find some space around the top of the crease to help screen the goalie and be there to slide the rebound home.

Or basically I could have said just try and do what other teams try vs the Flyers and are successful with...hey yeah try that but you have to have the guys willing to pay the price to hand in those areas...