Flyers 2020-21 season

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Holy SH!T!!!

That is a injury waiting to happen.

Going to be some sloppy hockey and no time to practice.

ICE UP SON!!! ICE UP!!!

Ok your turn for some trivia. Do you know who made the above ice up comment popular?

Answer: Panthers WR Steve Smith chiding Patriots CB Aqib Talib as they battled.

But, I cheated. I googled it.

In our Saturday 12 Noon Flyers Photo Contest, there is 'NO CHEATIN'.

OR, you are at the top of the standings. BUT, no-way you get this Saturday's answer (12/26/20).

image.jpeg.5aa2462d8449daa02d62cd8b6e83f1d3.jpeg

Repeat for this new page and easy reference - 

Wow! What a grind!

Good that our Flyers have many young players with young legs and stamina. (This grind is even more of a reason that JVR will be minimized, if here.)

And, the 6-player Taxi Squad is to the Flyers advantage with good talented young depth.

And, WAR with the Pens and Crosby/Malkin as we play them back-to-back 4-times. Animosity pent-up and violently released with only a day between games.

Flyers Schedule 2020-21 Season

schedule3.jpg

schedule5.jpg

Top 5 quotes from Flyers-Penguins 2019 Stadium Series | RSN

Edited by Zzeke

1 minute ago, Zzeke said:

Wow! What a grind!

Good that our Flyers have many young players with young legs and stamina. (This grind is even more of a reason that JVR will be minimized, if here.)

And, the 6-player Taxi Squad is to the Flyers advantage with good talented young depth.

And, WAR with the Pens and Crosby/Malkin as we play them back-to-back 4-times. Animosity pent-up and violently released with only a day between games.

Back-to-back days with the Islanders at the end of January! With the NYI skating pace and forecheck pressure two days in a row, actuate the Flyers Taxi Squad guys.

Our dearth of Flyers games on TV from early October through January 12 - - -

- - - results in us being overwhelmed with Flyers games on TV from Jan 13 through May 8 and through the playoffs ending in mid-July.

Okay with me!

Okay with you guys?

Flyers’ Stadium Series conditions could have been much worse as weather cooperates for most of the night

38 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Wow! What a grind!

Just had a great thought - -  hope that our Flyers' defenceman Sam Morin (6'-7", 227) is ready and will be on the Taxi Squad.

Then, with back-to-back games with the Pens and Malkin starts his dirty crap, next game Morin will introduce himself to Malkin. 

Check this out - Malkin tries to decapitate Giroux - 

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

In our Saturday 12 Noon Flyers Photo Contest, there is 'NO CHEATIN'.

OR, you are at the top of the standings. BUT, no-way you get this Saturday's answer (12/26/20).

image.jpeg.5aa2462d8449daa02d62cd8b6e83f1d3.jpeg

Don't forget...no biting.

claude.jpg

• Like 1

Good news on Lindblom and Patrick - - - 

In this afternoon's Webex call with reporters, GM Fletcher was revealing. Here are some excerpts from Sam Carchidi's article in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Fletcher said left winger Oskar Lindblom, who played two playoff games after missing most of the regular season because of a rare bone cancer, “has had a tremendous offseason. He’s been able to rebuild his body, if you will, and regain some of the muscle mass that he lost during his treatments last spring and summer. He’s in really good shape physically.”

The GM said he would find out if there were any issues with Lindblom, Nolan Patrick or any other players when they underwent physicals.

Patrick has made great strides after missing last season with a migraine disorder. 

“I watched him skate today, and he’s an amazingly talented young man,” Fletcher said of the 22-year-old center. “He looked great. He feels good, and, again, we’ll wait for the doctors to meet with him for the preseason physical. 

Life is unpredictable. We saw that last year, and I certainly can’t make predictions on anybody. But I think we’re in good shape going into camp, and we’re excited to get these two players back.”

Fletcher hinted that if Patrick passed his physical, he probably would be ready for the season opener against the Penguins, the first of two straight games between the cross-state rivals.

“I don’t know that you take it slowly,” Fletcher said. “If anything, everybody is basically on the same page right now. Nobody is in midseason shape. In some way, this may be the best time to reintroduce players back in. I know he hasn’t played in a while, but there are seven teams that haven’t had games since last March, so it’s going to be a different start for a lot of players and a lot of teams.

“Clearly, everyone will probably be in better form at midseason than what they are at the beginning.”

Fletcher said that the Flyers would carry the max of 23 players and 6 on the Taxi Squad.

My take on the forward lines of 14:

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)

#13-Raffl

#14-JVR (until he can be moved somehow)

If Patrick not healthy, then Frost at 3C.

“I watched him [Patrick] skate today, and he’s an amazingly talented young man.” GM Fletcher

Giroux is going to love playing with Patrick IMO:

Nolan Patrick Profile

Patrick has excellent size and a strong and powerful skating stride. He gets good speed and acceleration, allowing him to create offensively off the rush and in the offensive zone. Patrick is powerful and can fight through checks and get to the net. He has good balance and is tough to knock off the puck. Patrick has decent agility and edge work, helping him to make quick cuts and take advantage of his strong puck handling skills.

A natural sniper, Nolan Patrick has a tremendous wrist shot and quick release. He also has quick, soft hands and can bury chances in close to the net. His game is incredibly mature for his age. He has high end hockey IQ and always seems to make the right play both with and without the puck.

Patrick has excellent vision and passing skills. He can put the puck through tight areas and make tape-to-tape passes for teammates. Patrick has the skill to make his linemates better. His long reach and quick hands make him a very good puck handler. He can extend plays, waiting for his teammates to get open. Patrick also has the ability to slow the play down, or speed it up, giving defenders one more thing to think about.

He can play both the power and the finesse game. Nolan Patrick works well down low, using his big body to shield the puck and to make plays in the cycle game. He can get in quickly on the forecheck and forces opposing defencemen to make a quick play, or make a mistake. Patrick’s big frame is quite intimidating in battles, both along the boards and in front of the net.

Nolan Patrick of the Philadelphia Flyers in action against Johnny Boychuk of the New York Islanders on March 23, 2019 at the Wells Fargo Center in...

• Like 1

Also, Fletcher said in his webex call:

Fletcher said the team plans to carry 23 players on its roster and six on the taxi squad. The NHL requires teams to carry three goalies, and Fletcher plans to have one of them – most likely Alex Lyon – and five skaters on the taxi squad.

“We’ll build the taxi squad around those 23 in terms of performance in camp and the health of our club,” Fletcher said.

Taxi-squad players will practice and travel with the team. The Flyers have numerous prospects battling for a spot on the 23-man roster or taxi squad, including forwards Morgan Frost, Linus Sandin, Carsen Twarynski, Connor Bunnaman, Wade Allison, and Tanner Laczynski.

The AHL, which includes the Flyers’ affiliate in Allentown, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, isn’t expected to start until at least Feb. 5.

My hope for the 6-player Taxi Squad:

Frost (C)
Laczynski (C/LW/RW)
Twarynski (LW)
Friedman (RD)
Morin (LD)
Lyon (G)

Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

#13-Raffl
#14-JVR (until he is moved somehow)

LD - - - - - - RD

Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)

#7 - Ghost (until traded)

Hart
Elliott

Edited by Zzeke

4 hours ago, Zzeke said:

One of my favorite non Eagles.

He would have done well in Philly.

Edited by OccamsRazor
ICE UP SON! ICE UP!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Morin (LD)

Dear Zzeke:

My only question/comment on Morin would be playing time.  Does he help his cause on a taxi squad that travels with the team but plays very little?  I know he isn't waiver exempt anymore but he might not get taken given his health issues.  I hope the kid succeeds and grows with us or elsewhere.  His luck is awful.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Dear Zzeke:

My only question/comment on Morin would be playing time.  Does he help his cause on a taxi squad that travels with the team but plays very little?  I know he isn't waiver exempt anymore but he might not get taken given his health issues.  I hope the kid succeeds and grows with us or elsewhere.  His luck is awful.  

I'm with you H58. Morin has had bad luck as he has had a torn ACL in his right knee twice. He has worked hard in his 2 rehabs and deserves a chance. The Flyers organization is high on him.

He could be a good 3rd pairing defenceman with defensive defenceman skills with his reach, poke check, size, and toughness. He clears the crease. He is a deterent to opposing players who want to rough-up Flyers players.

If I remember correctly, those on the Taxi Squad get paid their AHL salaries and are not subject to the waiver rules of normal times.

The 6 Taxi Squad members will have practice ice time with the Flyers coaching staff at the Flyers Voorhees Training Center when the team is home. This is good for the start of the season since the AHL will not start until sometime in February.

But, you make a good point. After the AHL season gets started, it might be best for him to get a lot of game playing time with the Phantoms.

Good stuff H58.

The dude is 6'-7", 230 lbs, and hits hard - - 

C6H0041-2.jpg

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers lands a punch during a first-period fight against Bobby Farnham of the New York Rangers during a preseason...

Edited by Zzeke

10 hours ago, Zzeke said:

My take on the forward lines of 14:

Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

#13-Raffl

#14-JVR (until he can be moved somehow)

Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny

Giroux - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - TK

JVR potted the second most 5v5 goals on the team in the 6th most minutes among forwards. He also had more primary assists than everyone but Voracek. As for his defensive failings, he had one of the best shot attempts against rates on the team, and only NAK and Thompson had  better expected goals against rates among forwards. His actual goals against was still better than Giroux, Hayes, Farabee, Konecny, and Raffl.

Why are we sitting him in favor of a guy who has never played a game in NA? Having JVR on your third line is a bonus, not a detriment.  The cap is flat. Moving JVR requires bringing back significant cap. If he's as worthless a player as so many Flyers fans consider him to be, that means you're getting back 7 million in Jori Lehteras and Andrew MacDonalds. You're not getting players of worth, you're not getting good draft picks. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - TK

All these players no love for NAK and you want to double shift TK no playoffs for us.

I was mad TK didn't show in the playoffs too but this won't motivate him.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zzeke said:

he dude is 6'-7", 230 lbs, and hits hard - - 

Sir Zzeke:

A few weeks ago I posted that Morin on the D coupled with Fedetov in goal would be an interesting Twin Tower that could suit up for the Eagles.  Morin has always intrigued us.  I hope for his sake and ours that he develops and plays.  He has persevered and deserves a shot.

Meanwhile, best wishes for the holidays and I look forward to a Morin-style body blow on 2020.

H

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - TK

JVR potted the second most 5v5 goals on the team in the 6th most minutes among forwards. He also had more primary assists than everyone but Voracek. As for his defensive failings, he had one of the best shot attempts against rates on the team, and only NAK and Thompson had  better expected goals against rates among forwards. His actual goals against was still better than Giroux, Hayes, Farabee, Konecny, and Raffl.

Why are we sitting him in favor of a guy who has never played a game in NA? Having JVR on your third line is a bonus, not a detriment.  The cap is flat. Moving JVR requires bringing back significant cap. If he's as worthless a player as so many Flyers fans consider him to be, that means you're getting back 7 million in Jori Lehteras and Andrew MacDonalds. You're not getting players of worth, you're not getting good draft picks. 

AJ, you make some good points. I also like JVR - - - but there is more - - -

- JVR just does not have the physical tools anymore. He does not have the skating required. His reactions to loose pucks is not good. He lacks the reaction-time and quickness required to pursue. Can we visualize puck-pursuit competition in the offensive zone that we have observed? JVR gets beat-out continually. That is a drag on his line's performance. This is why AV benched JVR for most of the bubble playoff games.

- At 6-3, 217, age 31, his body has slowed down. His NHL career of 10 years and 802 games has caught up with him.

- A players 'overall game' in all 3 zones is important to the success of the team.

- 4th line LW - does JVR fit that role in AVs 4th line profile? Hard skating, hard forechecking, pin the other team in their own end, defensive work, PK duty. Not a fit for JVR.

- Also, coaches don't set their lines/pairings based on past goals scored, but on who is playing well currently. Same with 'coaches don't play players based on their salary or Cap Hit', but on who is playing well, who can contribute to winning now.

- Older players in decline will get replaced with younger players. Good GMs will try to trade a player before his value decline makes him untradeable. 

- Our Flyers are rich in high value prospects. They need to be sequentially introduced into the NHL team - - not wait until all the veterans are in significant decline together. In our Flyers case, JVR, Voracek, and Giroux will need to be replaced in the near-term years sequentially. JVR first, because of his clear attribute decline. 

- Plus, the 24 YO Sandin is ready for the NHL:

Sandin is a high-scoring RW. He finished the SHL season tied for third in scoring with 19 goals and 36 points in 51 games. The SHL is a strong pro league and the top pro league in Sweden.

Our Flyers beat out Boston to sign Sandin who can play both wings. Boston wanted him, but Sandin leaned toward our Flyers because he is friends with Hagg (same town), Lindblom, and Gustafsson.

Fletcher said the 6-foot-1, 209-pound Sandin will “come into camp and compete for a spot on our team right away. He works extremely hard and we expect him to add size, skill, and tenacity to our forward group.”

AGM Flahr said "He [Sandin] works hard, plays a North American-type game, and goes to the net and gets greasy goals. He always seems to be around the puck and has some tenacity. I think it [will] be a big camp for him."

The emergence of Sandin (RW), Laczynski (C), and Allison (RW), along with Frost (C), is the reason that Fletcher allowed UFAs Pitlick, Grant, and Thompson to leave. Need to make roster room. We liked Pitlick, but it is time to play some some young, very promising, prospects, and roster space is needed. Our Flyers are ranked as having one of the top NHL Prospect Pools.

Most lilkely one of those 4 players will make the team out of Camp. 3RW is open, and therefore Sandin has the best chance because he is a proven pro (SHL) and is a scorer and is responsible in all 3 zones. Sandin is a middle-6 NHL forward.

- JVRs 'Power Play goals' can be replaced by Courturier, Lindblom, or Patrick in that PP front slot role.

- I like JVR. We wish him well. With GM Fletcher's need to open up space in the 23-man roster for young players, JVR must be moved as one of several changes ongoing.

- The challenge for Fletcher is how? JVR's contract has 3 more seasons at a 7M Cap Hit. And, teams have the video of his play. Perhaps the only way is a package trade where team X, that has big Cap Space, strongly wants something of value from Fletcher, and Fletcher requires them to take JVR as part of the package in order to complete the deal.

Fletcher has been trying. So far, no takers for JVR and Ghost.

Flyers intend to sign SHL Forward Linus Sandin | Highlights & NHL 20 | What  do we do in Free Agency? - YouTube

linussandin_hv71_bb.jpg?fit=500%2C612&ssl=1

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Sir Zzeke:

A few weeks ago I posted that Morin on the D coupled with Fedetov in goal would be an interesting Twin Tower that could suit up for the Eagles.  Morin has always intrigued us.  I hope for his sake and ours that he develops and plays.  He has persevered and deserves a shot.

Meanwhile, best wishes for the holidays and I look forward to a Morin-style body blow on 2020.

H

Yeah, H58, good stuff.

Flyers Towers in the Defensive Zone:

Hagg (6'-2")
Sanheim (6'-4")
Myers (6'-5")
Morin (6'-7"

Fedotov (6'-8")

Ivan Fedotov covers a lot of Net

Philadelphia Flyers goaltending history : Ivan Fedotov

Interesting segments of Meltzer's interview with GM Fletcher yesterday (12/23/20):

Fletcher - I’m really pleased with our schedule. Obviously, we’re in an incredibly difficult division. It was very difficult last season and certainly isn’t any easier this season. The quality of the competition will be high. That’s exciting. Certainly every game will be difficult. 

Question - When you have these quick little road trips -- New York, Newark -- does it afford you the opportunity to not to have to stay in the city?

Fletcher - You’re allowed to come back. This year, you can travel even by bus the day of the game if you want to. I’ll sit down with AV and Bryan Hardenbergh and we’ll go through. I anticipate that we might be there like we would the night before and travel like we normally would. There may be a couple instances where you can save a couple days on the road by staying here and just bussing closer to the game.

We have four cities we can bus to and only three cities we’ll have to fly to. Pittsburgh, Boston and Buffalo are all about a one hour flight. The three New York teams and Washington are all relatively easy bus trips, particularly these days.

We’re very fortunately of the division we’re in, in that our travel should be really manageable compared to the other three divisions. Every team in our division should be thankful for that.

Question - With a spot on the top pairing with Provorov, what are your expectations of Phil Myers going into this season?

Fletcher - Just to continue to improve. At even strength I hear top pair and second pair. I think those are a little bit misleading. At even strength our ice time is relatively evenly allocated. I really like Sanheim and Myers together. I think they have great chemistry. I like the way the complement each other. I like the way they play the game. I like that they are both continuing to evolve and develop into really good NHL defensemen. Ultimately that will be up to AV and his coaching staff to decide. My conversations with AV, I think we’re open-minded to anything.

We could have different pairings depending on the time of the game, the score of the game. A lot of it is going to depend on health and how players are performing. I can assure you that Provorov will get lots of ice time. I think Sanheim and Myers will.

We have some guys that are competing to increase their role. One thing I will say about Phil Myers, with Niskanen retiring, there’s now potentially more PK ice time available. Phil did not kill a lot last year for us. That’s a role I think he can excel at as he gains experience in the league. We’re excited about Phil’s future and I think there’s an opportunity for Phil to take on a bigger role, regardless of the pair that he’s in.

Ah! Keep Sanheim and Myers together:

Provorov - Gustafsson (prefers Right Side)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded

Travis Sanheim and Philippe Myers of the Philadelphia Flyers jump to the ice on a shift change against the Carolina Hurricanes on November 5, 2019 at...

Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon.

Standings (of those who have participated)

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
0 pilldoc

12/5/20 CoachX - - - Hexy and Gretzky

12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Behn Wilson
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Mark Friedman

12/19/20 Podein25 - - - Mike McKenna

This Saturday, December 26, nobody will get the answer. Not even veteran Flyers fans P25 and CX. Guaranteed.

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf378

Edited by Zzeke

Dear Flyers HF Board Members,

It's Christmas Eve.

I want to thank you all for welcoming me here. I am a newbie, a rookie. Many of you have been here for many years, veterans. Your Flyers knowledge and postings are impressive and much appreciated. And, you have been kind to me. Thx. This is a place that does not recklessly hammer their own.

Here at the Christmas holiday season, I think these things are coool:

Flyers Gritty

Gritty, the mascot of the Philadelphia Flyers dressed as Santa entertains the crowd during the second period intermission against the New York...

Santa Upgrading to Today's Technology:

A rainy, blustery Christmas Eve storm for Philly area, just as Santa’s sleigh is set to soar

It's Christmas Eve.

Wishing all a blessed Christmas tomorrow as we focus on the true meaning of that day of the birth of the one who, as foretold centuries before, was born on Christmas Day to be the sacrifice for all. 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8ZCUzAGxTIFJ4QjCMrV0VAW8n9eXnYADCXFtSowpFz_KHFCQ0i97zyoYGx2ufNYhNIcXnPhDz&usqp=CAc
Zzeke

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Thx. This is a place that does not recklessly hammer their own.

Dear Zzeke:

You nailed a prime attribute of the board, maybe its essence.  Many of us are refugees from other sites that tolerated nastiness and personal putdowns. Not here.

Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Dear Zzeke:

You nailed a prime attribute of the board, maybe its essence.  Many of us are refugees from other sites that tolerated nastiness and personal putdowns. Not here.

Welcome aboard.

Thx H58.

Reflecting on this new schedule reminds me of the first three years after the 2004-05 strike.  If you recall, the league scheduled a very intensive intra-division gig ( I think it was eight games in your division) with very few outside. In fact, I think there were virtually no out-of-conference games and they weren't even home-and-home.  The idea at the time was to rekindle an almost "Original Six" degree of competition.  If memory serves, people were very happy to see that model go.  

Familiarity may breed some contempt.  We may get bored seeing these teams so often.  This is a temporary adjustment that is necessitated by a pandemic.  But we may get sick of seeing the same players along the way.  

I guess the one interesting thing to watch for is "ownership."  Will some teams "own" others?  I remember when we could never win in Columbus.  Or when Antero Nittymaki beat up on Atlanta (I think).  We've done well in Pitt some years but floundered there in others.  We'll see.  The newbies in the division like Buffalo might provide some surprises.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All these players no love for NAK and you want to double shift TK no playoffs for us.

I was mad TK didn't show in the playoffs too but this won't motivate him.

Oops. Yeah, that's supposed to be NAK with Laughton.

• Like 1

Forward line is probably already set.   

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Lindblom- Patrick - Konecny

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

Defensive pairing I want to see in the start of the year.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg -Gustafsson/ Braun

#7 - Freidman

Hart/Moose

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Forward line is probably already set.   

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

JVR - Hayes - Farabee

Lindblom- Patrick - Konecny

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

Defensive pairing I want to see in the start of the year.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Hagg -Gustafsson/ Braun

#7 - Freidman

Hart/Moose

In the Zoom call with the media a few days ago, GM Fletcher said that they would carry the full 23-player roster (last season they carried 22) and the full 6-player Taxi Squad - as part of the NHL special rules during COVID.

I like:

LW - - - - C - - - - RW

Farabee-Hayes-Konecny

#13-Raffl
#14-JVR (until he is moved somehow)

LD - - - - - - RD

Provorov - Gustafsson
Hagg - Braun (RH)

#7 - Ghost (until traded)

Hart
Elliott

- - - all for a number of reasons

My hope for the 6-player Taxi Squad:

Frost (C)
Laczynski (C/LW/RW)
Twarynski (LW)
Friedman (RD)
Morin (LD) (for Malkin reasons as we play the Pens often 😉 )
Lyon (G)

Here are 4 of the skaters on the Buffalo Taxi Squad:

NHL: Winter Classic-Practice

Edited by Zzeke

Morin is never going to play significant meaningful minutes for the Flyers, which is probably a good thing.  He was a reach when they drafted him in the 1st, he has had injury setback after setback, he hasn't dominated at the AHL level, and when I saw him in person at the NHL level he looked like a newborn baby giraffe took an epidural and couldn't communicate with his legs.

I feel bad for the guy, but Flyers fans are dreaming at this point.

• Like 1