Flyers 2020-21 season

And now Roslovic wants out of Winnipeg. If Cheveldayoff can't see that he's got a potential locker room mutiny on his hands,  then I don't know what else to say.  Paul Maurice is a joke and every locker room that he's been in charge of,  there's always been a divide.  It happened in Carolina.  It happened in Toronto and now it's happening in Winnipeg.  This could be fun to watch and if things get too bad,  you might get both guys for pennies on the dollar. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And now Roslovic wants out of Winnipeg. If Cheveldayoff can't see that he's got a potential locker room mutiny on his hands,  then I don't know what else to say.  Paul Maurice is a joke and every locker room that he's been in charge of,  there's always been a divide.  It happened in Carolina.  It happened in Toronto and now it's happening in Winnipeg.  This could be fun to watch and if things get too bad,  you might get both guys for pennies on the dollar. 

Some coaches seem to be good for a few years, and then they wear out there welcome. Case and point, Peter Laviolette. I used to hear what a sound Xs and Os coach Maurice was. I guess he's another one of those guys with a short window of opportunity with his personality, or something.

Interesting article tonight out of Boston:

Boston Bruins: The Philadelphia Flyers will easily be the toughest challenge of 2021

by Tyler Pierce
Bruins Writer
Boston Causeway Crowd

December 29, 2020

Excerpts:

While this new division provides some exciting matchups, it is also arguably the hardest and deepest division following the re-alignment. With up and comers like the Rangers, Flyers, and Sabres in addition to established contenders like the Capitals and Penguins, the Bruins are going to have to battle all year just to make it to the playoffs.

While every team in the division is likely to be tough to beat, I think the B’s will have an extra difficult time handling the Philadelphia Flyers.

While a few of the other teams in the division have been able to tout Stanley Cup Championship success in prior years, not many of them are as well-positioned for the 2021 season as the Flyers.

The Flyers were blazing hot prior to the “halt to play” and were able to capture the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference following the round-robin games at the beginning of the “return to play.” The Flyers’ playoff run got as far as Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals before the New York Islanders were able to send them home.

Despite coming up short, the Flyers’ roster is returning a mix of young talent and veteran leadership that has them poised to make another strong run at the Stanley Cup.

The Boston Bruins should not take the Flyers’ offense lightly.

On the offensive side of things, the Flyers scoring attack was led by 22-year-old Travis Konecny, who set a career-high with 61 points in just 66 games.

With the remarkable return of Oskar Lindblom following his battle with Ewing’s Sarcoma and the continued development of young players such as Konecny and 19-year-old Joel Farabee, the Flyers look to be on the up and up and will be tough for the Bruins’ defense to contain, especially with the loss of Torey Krug and likely Zdeno Chara on the blue line.

The Boston Bruins will have a tough time getting pucks past Carter Hart. The Flyers have been in the midst of a goalie carousel that some may argue is decades-long. However, it appears that they have found the solution with the 22-year-old Hart.

Both the Bruins and the Flyers have Stanley Cup aspirations this year, however, they’ll have to do battle eight times in the regular season and potentially more if the stars align for playoff matchups.

With the aforementioned high-powered offense and the talented young defense, the Flyers pose a difficult matchup for the Bruins and will likely be a thorn in their side for the duration of the 2021 season.

The Philadelphia Flyers celebrate a goal against the Boston Bruins at the TD Garden on March 8, 2018 in Boston, Massachusetts.

Edited by Zzeke

From Jordan Hall at NBC Sports this morning Dec 30:

Sanheim / Patrick

When Sanheim wasn't in his home gym this offseason, he got in work alongside Islanders defenseman and Brandon Wheat Kings product Ryan Pulock, who helped end the Flyers' season during the second round of the playoffs.

"For on-ice, it was hard at times because Manitoba went through phases of shutdown and code red, so I did as best I could," Sanheim said. "Me and him kind of worked with each other with a skills coach to better our game. Just little things that D-men have to work on, whether it’s little breakouts, puck plays, wheeling with the puck, seeing the ice and making the right decisions. I feel like I got better over the course of the break and looking forward to the upcoming season."

Sanheim also saw plenty of Flyers teammate Nolan Patrick. The 2017 second overall pick is a Winnipeg, Manitoba native and played his junior hockey for the Wheat Kings. Training in Brandon this offseason with a group led by former Flyer Ryan White, the 22-year-old Patrick is aiming to return to the lineup after missing 2019-20 because of a migraine disorder.

"I’ve been in touch with Patty a lot," Sanheim said. "He lives a couple houses down from where I live, so I saw him a lot, working together and skating together. He’s been awesome, his skill set is next level. We knew that from when the day he got drafted. It’s awesome seeing him back out there skating and looking forward to playing with him again."

Podein25, you been to Brandon?

Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrates the first of his two third period goals against the Columbus Blue Jackets with Nolan Patrick on...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

@Zzeke

The pod cast with Cote and Settlemyer was very interesting.

I think it would be hard to be Ivan, he's pretty particular.  I do like that he has an awareness about it though. 

I thought it was interesting how he wished he could enjoy his "good games" more- rather than be disappointed that they weren't "great games".  I think in time he'll learn that then enemy of the great is not always the good, when you're a young bull it's tougher to see.

He's a thoughtful guy and sounds like an intensely hard worker. I think his drive is pretty amazing and helps me to feel as though he's not a finished product. 

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I reckon with Rosolvic it comes down to; does Chevy trust Paul more than the young players on his roster?

Maybe Paul doesn't get the young guys.  Or maybe the young guys aren't used to being held accountable. 

I mean I don't think Jack is a better player than Shiefele, LIttle or Stasny,  I know L & S are getting older but they're still pretty good players. I don't know if I think Rosolvic makes the team better in a 2C role than those guys do.  If he's head and shoulders better in camp then maybe he has a gripe, I don't think I've seen it from him in my limited viewing of that team though. 

There is a shelf life with coaches, maybe Maurice has reached his sell by date in the 'Peg.

• Like 1

I know, myself, I like Roslovic as a player and I think he's a more than capable top six forward. To me,  this is exactly what happens when coaches use a 2-1-1 system in terms of forward deployment.  You get offensively talented players who are stuck in roles that they aren't suited for.  So in the case of Roslovic,  who has scored everywhere he's played in his career,  he's stuck with pluggers and scrubs and is stuck in a defensive oriented role with no room for growth.  Think Couturier his first three to four seasons and you've got Roslovic.

Paul Maurice is also an asshat. That's a man who went out of his way in Carolina to punish and embarrass rookie/young players and in some cases,  bully them,  if they made a mistake.  I hate that cocksucker with a passion. Now you've got two young guys,  plus multiple veterans who gave moved on under his watch and at some point,  you've got to think something is wrong in that locker room that so many young guys want out and numerous veterans moved on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I know, myself, I like Roslovic as a player and I think he's a more than capable top six forward. To me,  this is exactly what happens when coaches use a 2-1-1 system in terms of forward deployment.  You get offensively talented players who are stuck in roles that they aren't suited for.  So in the case of Roslovic,  who has scored everywhere he's played in his career,  he's stuck with pluggers and scrubs and is stuck in a defensive oriented role with no room for growth.  Think Couturier his first three to four seasons and you've got Roslovic.

Paul Maurice is also an asshat. That's a man who went out of his way in Carolina to punish and embarrass rookie/young players and in some cases,  bully them,  if they made a mistake.  I hate that cocksucker with a passion. Now you've got two young guys,  plus multiple veterans who gave moved on under his watch and at some point,  you've got to think something is wrong in that locker room that so many young guys want out and numerous veterans moved on. 

For what it is worth, here is what Eklund posted today:

Jack Roslovic’s name and trade request has become very public, but behind the scenes I keep hearing Laine and the Flyers/Canadiens...

Per one source, “Roslovic is an issue that has muddied the waters a bit on a Laine deal....but that hasn’t stopped the talks...The Flyers and Canadiens are still interested and have the kind of pieces that the Jets want for Patrik.”

“Is Montreal still interested after the Perry signing?” I asked.

“Absolutely..” my source continued, “The Perry signing barely plays into the much larger deal.”

Interesting - 

• Zdeno Chara has signed a one-year contract with the Washington Capitals. 

The deal is worth $795,000. As expected, the news was made official shortly after Chara announced that he wouldn't be back with the Boston Bruins for the 2020-21 season. The team wanted to move forward with younger players and will face their former captain eight times this campaign. 

"We are extremely pleased to have Zdeno join the Capitals organization," said Capitals GM Brian MacLellan. "We feel his experience and leadership will strengthen our blueline and our team." The 43-year-old blueliner played for the Bruins for the past 14 seasons.

Chara doesn't contribute much offensively anymore, but he can still log over 20 minutes per game and provide a physical presence on the back end. In 68 games last season, he registered 60 penalty minutes, 101 blocks and 78 hits.

Dec 30, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

•  
Edited by Zzeke

This will help Fletcher/Flahr plan for the Flyers Taxi-Squad and prospect recalls from the European leagues.

The AHL has announced that a "structural framework" has been approved for the 2020-21 season. 

The AHL plans to start the season on Feb. 5, 2021. "Details are still being worked out, but this step allows our teams and their National Hockey League partners to better determine their plans for the coming season. We look forward to dropping the puck on Feb. 5," said AHL President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Howson in a statement.

SOURCE: TheAHL.com
Dec 30, 2020, 3:12 PM ET

Okay guys - - - the ice is ready - - - are we?

In only 2 weeks our Flyers will play Pittsburgh on Jan. 13 at 5:30 p.m. ET with national TV broadcast on NBCSN in the US.

How do you guys in Manitoba and Ontario get to watch the Flyers? TSN with selected games? SportsNet with selected Flyers games? A subscription for all Flyers games?

New ice look at the Wells Fargo Center:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJbsyDyJtt9/?utm_source=ig_embed

Edited by Zzeke

17 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

373662025_ScreenShot2020-12-31at12_25_21PM.thumb.png.67ef646c23fbe4b9d62e074380bd9dde.pngas the kids say, wut?

Hey why not a 6-7 LW with some snarl and ability to be physical.

Whatever it takes to kid this physical specimen on the ice.

Will it be successful?

Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

373662025_ScreenShot2020-12-31at12_25_21PM.thumb.png.67ef646c23fbe4b9d62e074380bd9dde.pngas the kids say, wut?

Wow!

Good find mks.

Perhaps a change in perspective by Fletcher/Flahr based on Morin's work at the Flyers Training Center at Voorhees as he has been there for many months being observed by Fletcher and Flahr.

Maybe they see the big defenceman as a candidate on the 6-player Taxi Squad as a LW - - - and play him vs Pittsburgh and the dirty Malkin if needed? 😉

As we all know, Morin is 6'-7", tough, and a deterent. Yes, he can play a good defensive defenceman role when healthy and back in game shape.

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers lands a punch during a first-period fight against Bobby Farnham of the New York Rangers during a preseason...

Just now, ruxpin said:

Briefly coming out of retirement because I can't contain myself. 

Sam Morin at left wing--especially given our already crowded left side and more coming--is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time, and I have a Twitter account! 

Not directed at anyone here. 

Absolutely agree!

So in no particular order we:

Giroux

Farabee

Lindblom

JVR

so where would you put Morin?

4th Line??? I don’t want Morin displacing any of the above. I may not be a JVR fan but even JVR will have more experience at LW than Morin.

I seriously don’t get this move at all......

Edited by pilldoc

So, instead of having signed a guy like Pat Maroon before Tampa did, or another natural physical winger...they would rather have a young player get his confidence destroyed, because they want him to play a position he's totally unaccustomed to? Moronic, and not surprised if that is the idea of someone in the front office even higher up than Fletcher. It's not like Morin has had sustaining success in the NHL, to this point. Keep him on defense, and prepare him for being there for 10 years.

36 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Someone said that Morin at 6-7, 227 should be so much fun to watch in the dump and chase game. 👍

CRUNCH TIME

C6H0041-2.jpg

Yeah for the opposition.

Every time he blows someone up along the boards, even in a legal hit it will be a penalty because he wears the orange and black.

Betteman has a rule out since they were the broad street bullies back in the day they are no longer allowed to play physical.

I just know it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So in no particular order we:

Giroux

Farabee

Lindblom

JVR

so where would you put Morin?

4th Line??? I don’t want Morin displacing any of the above. I may not be a JVR fan but even JVR will have more experience at LW than Morin.

I seriously don’t get this move at all......

According to Sam Carchidi Giroux is dead or dying or someshit. So scratch him.

Ultimately, I think there is some "doing the kid a solid" with this announcement, and I don't think that's the worst thing an organization can do. 

Kid's had terrible injury luck, has worked hard to try to make it back, the team is finding a way to reward him.

Even if it doesn't work out, I'd like to think the Flyers did right by Sam.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Briefly coming out of retirement because I can't contain myself. 

Don't say briefly bud.

This place ain't the same without your snark we missed you.

Hope you're doing well.

And hope we all have a better 2021.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1