Flyers 2020-21 season

Friday, Jan 1, 2021

Bill Meltzer's report this morning - thorough as usual - and he is highly regarded - 

Fletcher said that Samuel Morin will attempt to make a positional switch from defense to left wing. Morin is now healthy after missing essentially the last two and three-quarter seasons due to two separate ACL tears in his right knee and, before that, a recurring issue with psoas muscle tears. Morin has been practicing as a winger for a couple of months.

According to Fletcher, the positional switch represents Morin's best chance to earn an NHL roster spot in the immediate future and his combination of size and physicality match a need the Flyers' have in their lineup. Fletcher said both the organization and the player himself are committed to seeing the experiment through.

Morin spoke after Fletcher. He said that the positional change was originally suggested in October by Alain Vigneault, along with Ian Laperriere. Vigneault told the player that the Flyers got pushed around physically by the New York Islanders in the playoffs, and Morin could help address that. The player said that, apart from daily practices as a forward, he's watched a lot of video. He's trying to pattern himself after longtime NHL role player Matt Martin, and keep his game simple, straight north-south, with short shifts.

Morin said that he feels fine now but admitted that he's not back to the level he was --
which was right on the brink of an extended NHL opportunity -- before the string of major injuries. The Flyers 2013 first-round pick said that he realizes that he's fighting for the survival of his career at this point. Although he believes he could still have a career as a defenseman, Morin also believes that it's a bigger priority to simply play hockey again and that being a role-playing winger is the better avenue for him at this point in time.

Back in minor hockey, according to Morin, he started out as a forward. However, he soon switched to defense. Morin admitted that there many details to being a winger that he's still working on, such as positional play in the defensive zone, but feels like he's making progress.

During his video conference, Morin reiterated the central idea of what he told me in a one-on-one interview back in May: He is still driven by the dream of becoming a regular in the NHL and will do whatever is asked of him in the quest to make it come true. It's been seven years since Morin was first drafted and he's been on the cusp of an NHL breakthrough a few times -- he was even a late-camp cut in his very first NHL camp in 2013 --but has only dressed in a combined nine NHL games to date.

Back in the mid-1990s, the Flyers tried to convert struggling 1992 first-round pick Jason Bowen from a defenseman to a left winger (where had previous experience, even at the major junior level). It did not work out as hoped, as Bowen's development actually continued to regress.

On the flip side, switching from defense to left wing proved beneficial for Dan Kordic, who made it back to the NHL and played a couple of years as a regular on the Flyers' fourth line (albeit in a different era, when there was still a viable path for old-school enforcers to find NHL jobs).

There is a misconception about Morin that he's a slow skater. Actually, before the ACL tears, he was actually an above-average straight line skater whose giant strides enabled him to close in open ice even on speedsters the caliber of Anthony Duclair. The skating adjustments that Morin had to make had nothing to do with his straight-line ability but more with his pivots, and use of his feet in close quarters (where his long reach was sometimes a disadvantage). The bigger adjustments had to do with decision-making both off-puck and on-puck. He too often tried to do a little too much; even at the AHL level he got away with things that probably would not have worked very often in the NHL.

Morin is NOT devoid of skill. He isn't a bad passer and he has a cannon of a shot albeit not the most accurate of one or quickly released, which is why he was no longer a power play regular after his junior hockey career. Less is more with Morin. The more under control he plays, the more effective he tends to be.

He wasn't going to be the next Zdeno Chara and certainly not the next Chris Pronger, but he probably would have found a regular role with the Flyers at some point if not for the injuries.

Being exclusively a left-side defenseman and competing for a spot against a rookie Travis Sanheim and fellow 2013 draftee Robert Hägg (whom both Ron Hextall and Dave Hakstol were a little higher on because they felt that the Swede had finally found a consistent niche whereas Morin was still trying to find exactly what worked for him and what didn't, so he had lower lows competing with higher highs).

Morin didn't seem far away, though, before the first psoas muscle tear. In fact, some felt that he had outplayed Hägg in training camp in Sept. 2017. The voices that ultimately counted -- the GM and the head coach -- felt Hägg had gotten all he could out of his three years in the AHL (he came over at 19 for a slide-rule eligible rookie year, so he arrived in the North American pros a season ahead of Morin).

Even when Morin went back to the Phantoms in the fall of 2017, it felt like he'd be competing all year to move up for his first extended batch of NHL games. His eventual role may have been on the third pair and the penalty kill, playing 15 or 16 minutes a night, but he'd have gladly taken it.

Unfortunately, Morin started breaking down physically within the first quarter of the 2017-18 season.

The repeated aggravation of the psoas muscle issue caused him to be shut down first for four weeks, then for six weeks and then, after getting injured again in the Phantoms' outdoor game in Hershey, for the rest of the regular season. He returned during the playoffs, but in the first period of his third game (the Phantoms' five-overtime win in Charlotte), he tore his right ACL.

Since that time, Morin missed about 10 months rehabbing the first tear. He got into a combined 11 games (six in the NHL, five in the AHL) before suffering the second ACL tear on a seemingly harmless play. Another long rehab followed, bringing him up to where he is right now: trying to save his career through a position switch.

As anyone who has ever interacted with Morin off the ice knows, he is someone who is impossible to root against: bubbly, enthusiastic, usually smiling and almost invariably optimistic. He's had bad nothing but rotten luck for three years and he's now 25 years old. I will be rooting hard for him to make the switch to forward a successful one.

Do I have some skepticism over whether it will work? Yes, mainly due to Morin missing all of that time and now trying to start over at a position he hasn't played since early in minor hockey. But I also know how strong his desire is and how excellent his work ethic is.

If he can figure out some of the nuances of playing a structured game on the wing and if he can get his straight-line skating back close to where it was before -- since he'll be mainly going north-south and battling on the walls -- he's at least got a shot if he can finally stay healthy.

Sam Morin, 6'-8", 230, LW/D

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers battles for control of the loose puck along the boards with Zach Hyman of the Toronto Maple Leafs on March...

Samuel Morin of the Philadelphia Flyers lands a punch during a first-period fight against Bobby Farnham of the New York Rangers during a preseason...

• Good Post 1

15 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

At this stage of his pro career, he's a warm body.

With a possible upside. He has a lot to prove.

Will he be able to regain his very solid skating ability for such a huge guy that remains to be seen.

Myself I am pulling for the kid and I can't fault him for a ACL injury even if it has happened twice in the same knee.

Guys have came back from those injuries and have played well see Correll Buckhalter who played for the Eagles and actually tore his 3 times and came back and played well with Duce Staley in the early 2000s.

This to me is just trying to make use of assets.

Not sure it works but at least they tried.

• Like 3

Report out of Boston today Jan 1, 2021 - 

It is being reported that the Boston Bruins will play an outdoor game at Lake Tahoe in February against the Philadelphia Flyers.

When word became official last month that the NHL was returning to action in January, one of the new looks for the 2020-21 season was the new realigned divisions for one year.

The new alignment with four new divisions would cut down on travel for teams and keep them more regionalized. The Boston Bruins were placed in the East Division and will play each team eight times in the 56-game shortened season.

With fans not allowed at the TD Garden for at least the beginning of the season, the Bruins were rumored to be one of as many as eight teams exploring at playing games at outdoor venus in their city.

According to a report from Hockey Night in Canada and the NHL Network reporter Elliotte Friedman, the Black and Gold will plan an outdoor game. The NHL is planning two outdoor games in Lake Tahoe in February with no fans in attendance. The Colorado Avalanche will play the Vegas Golden Knights in the first game, with the Bruins playing the Philadelphia Flyers the next day.

The exact dates have not been finalized, but it appears the two-game, two-day “Outdoor Weekend” games would be played in mid-February. Both the Bruins and Flyers have their largest gap of off days this season around the middle of the month.

The game would be broadcast on NBC and will be one of seven Bruins’ games scheduled to be broadcast by NBC and NBCSN during the regular-season. The game would also include drone camera angles of the game, giving fans a new viewing experience for hockey.

Athol Daily News - Marchand overskates puck in shootout, Bruins fall to  Flyers

It will be fun to see our Flyers' LW Morin (6'-8", 230) do 'dump-and-chase' barreling-down on the Caps' Defenceman Chara (6'-9", 250) into the corner. Collision City.

The first Flyers-Caps game is Sunday February 7 and will be on national TV in the US on NBC.

image.jpeg.08f49d842aea0267b860a1ba90692e1a.jpeg  Morin Ready For Transition To Pro Hockey | The Home News

Thinking about the Flyers Schedule - 

For those outside the Philadelphia region TV coverage area, here is the released schedule for the 7 Flyers nationally televised games:

COMPLETE FLYERS NATIONAL BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Wednesday, Jan. 13

vs. Pittsburgh NBCSN 5:30PM
Wednesday, Feb. 3 vs. Boston NBCSN TBD
Sunday, Feb. 7 at Washington NBC TBD
Sunday, Feb. 21 at Boston NBC TBD
Wednesday, Feb. 24 vs. NY Rangers NBCSN TBD
Wednesday, March 17 at NY Rangers NBCSN TBD
Sunday, April 18 vs. NY Islanders NBC TBD

For TV, I'm good here in Central PA with Comcast Cable carrying the NBC Sports - Philadelphia channels. I will see all the Flyers 56 games plus playoffs through the Stanley Cup Final vs the Colorado Avalanche 😉 .

Those Flyers Board members who are in the US outside the Philadelphia TV coverage area, how do you see TV Flyers games? Is there an NHL TV package to subscribe to? Streaming? Pirating?

Those Flyers Board members in Canada (Manitoba/Ontario/BC/etc), how do you see TV Flyers games? TSN for selected games? SportsNet for selected games? Is there a package to subscribe to in order to get all Flyers games? Streaming? Pirating?

Or - - must many of us be stuck with only selected games and not the full season?

wnh_010820_16x9.jpg

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Report out of Boston today Jan 1, 2021 - 

It is being reported that the Boston Bruins will play an outdoor game at Lake Tahoe in February against the Philadelphia Flyers.

According to a report from Hockey Night in Canada and the NHL Network reporter Elliotte Friedman, the Black and Gold will plan an outdoor game. The NHL is planning two outdoor games in Lake Tahoe in February with no fans in attendance. The Colorado Avalanche will play the Vegas Golden Knights in the first game, with the Bruins playing the Philadelphia Flyers the next day.

The exact dates have not been finalized, but it appears the two-game, two-day “Outdoor Weekend” games would be played in mid-February. Both the Bruins and Flyers have their largest gap of off days this season around the middle of the month.

The game would be broadcast on NBC and will be one of seven Bruins’ games scheduled to be broadcast by NBC and NBCSN during the regular-season. The game would also include drone camera angles of the game, giving fans a new viewing experience for hockey.

Reported by Adam Hermann at NBC Sports this afternoon (Jan 1) - 

From Sportsnet's report: 

"According to multiple sources, the NHL is beginning its Mystery, Alaska experiment, with four teams as part of a unique two-game, two-day “Outdoor Weekend” showcase at Lake Tahoe.

Edgewood Tahoe Resort, home of the popular celebrity golf tournament, is hosting these games, which will be played around the 16th, 17th and 18th holes.

"It is, at this point, a one-year project, but if it works, the NHL may consider making off-beat, “natural wilderness,” picturesque locations a regular occurrence. Whatever the case, this has a chance to be a special look in a challenging season."

Jeez, that sounds amazing.

The Flyers will face the Bruins and the other game in the showcase will be the Avalanche vs. the Golden Knights, according to Sportsnet.

Considering the outdoorsy roots of the game, any time the NHL can put a hockey game outside, it should do so. And putting the game in new locales is a definite plus, particularly when they're as gorgeous as Lake Tahoe.

Here's a view from the Edgewood Tahoe Resort Golf Course:

Lake_Tahoe_NHL_Google_Maps.png

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

With a possible upside. He has a lot to prove.

Will he be able to regain his very solid skating ability for such a huge guy that remains to be seen.

Myself I am pulling for the kid and I can't fault him for a ACL injury even if it has happened twice in the same knee.

Guys have came back from those injuries and have played well see Correll Buckhalter who played for the Eagles and actually tore his 3 times and came back and played well with Duce Staley in the early 2000s.

This to me is just trying to make use of assets.

Not sure it works but at least they tried.

Let me ask you this question...

Lets say Morin fills a LW role, and does so successfully. The intangible of size and snarl is sorely missed on this team. With some smaller, talented players in the wings, it would be nice to have a role player (Maroon type), to level the ice a bit.

So, would that open the door to another player or two be possible trade options with salary relief upside? I assume Morin is a cheap sign

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

It will be fun to see our Flyers' LW Morin (6'-8", 230) do 'dump-and-chase' barreling-down on the Caps' Defenceman Chara (6'-9", 250) into the corner. Collision City.

The first Flyers-Caps game is Sunday February 7 and will be on national TV in the US on NBC.

image.jpeg.08f49d842aea0267b860a1ba90692e1a.jpeg  Morin Ready For Transition To Pro Hockey | The Home News

If those two tangled,  we know what would happen. Chara would tackle him a soon as possible. The guy will never go toe to toe with someone his own size. Thats why he's a punk ass bitch

It cracked me up how jack-off edwards used to stain his tighty whities everytime Chara beat up a little guy

• Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Let me ask you this question...

Lets say Morin fills a LW role, and does so successfully. The intangible of size and snarl is sorely missed on this team. With some smaller, talented players in the wings, it would be nice to have a role player (Maroon type), to level the ice a bit.

So, would that open the door to another player or two be possible trade options with salary relief upside? I assume Morin is a cheap sign

Sure it is possible for Morin to make someone expendable especially with the guys who will need new contracts after the upcoming year combined with a flat cap.

Something has to give. So the more valuable you are to the team for example a guy who can play defense or wing if need be will certainly take someone spot. But at this point it is a tall hill to climb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure it is possible for Morin to make someone expendable especially with the guys who will need new contracts after the upcoming year combined with a flat cap.

Something has to give. So the more valuable you are to the team for example a guy who can play defense or wing if need be will certainly take someone spot. But at this point it is a tall hill to climb.

I see something happening to move JVR. Who else could be a possible casualty?

24 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I see something happening to move JVR. Who else could be a possible casualty?

Well Laughton is a LW mostly and he is due a new contract and may want a nice raise.

So him off the top of my head....

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Excellent question CX:

[CoachX said:

Lets say Morin fills a LW role, and does so successfully. The intangible of size and snarl is sorely missed on this team. With some smaller, talented players in the wings, it would be nice to have a role player (Maroon type), to level the ice a bit. So, would that open the door to another player or two be possible trade options with salary relief upside? I assume Morin is a cheap sign.]

And, very good answer by you OR.

This season's forwards will look something like this:

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)
#13-Raffl

#14-JVR until moved somehow

If Patrick not healthy, then Frost at 3C.

LW Morin will be on the 6-man Taxi Squad and activated for specific games (vs Pens Malkin and Caps Wison, etc, and if significant injury or COVID related vacancies) IMO. An evaluation season for Morin.

Next season will potentially yield several vacancies at forwards #10 to #13. Raffl and Laughton will be UFAs and then there is the July Expansion Draft. (I think there is a high probability that Seattle takes defenceman Hagg over C/LW Bunnaman - - NAK will be on the Protected List.)

I, and many of us, like Laughton and hope he signs a new contract after the July Expansion Draft. (He would be safe from being selected by the Seattle Kraken because he would be a pending UFA.)

So, the 2021-22 season could look like this if LW Morin has a good 2020-21 trial season:

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Xxxxxx 
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)
#13-Morin (plays selected games)

(And, it's good to have an emergency defenceman in case of multiple injuries or COVID related vacancies)

Xxxxxx = Sandin/Laczynski/Allison

All JMO.

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, Zzeke said:

Good stuff LOD.

I like Morin also. Hope he returns strong after some time with the Phantoms. Rooting for the guy.

I prefer:

LD - - - - - RD

Provorov - Gustafsson (prefers Right Side)
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)

#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded soon - before the Expansion Draft or he will be lost w/o compensation because only 3 defencemen are protected under the preferred Protected List 7F/3D/1G choice: Provorov/Sanheim/Myers.

We like Ghost's flash-and-dash and PP work, but actually, Gus is better than Ghost in the defensive zone where Ghost continues to struggle.

Another element in playing the right side next to Provorov is that Ghost had extra struggles on the right side. AV and Yeo tried to keep Ghost on the left side.

On Gus - some excerpts - 

Coach Alain Vigneault sounded excited Monday when he talked about a key addition to the lineup this season, defenseman Erik Gustafsson.

Gustafsson, a 28-year-old Sweden native, was signed as a free agent in October, inking a one-year deal for $3 million. He will be among a handful of players to get a chance on the top pairing, alongside Ivan Provorov.

In a conference call with reporters Monday, Vigneault said he watched lots of video on Gustafsson in the offseason, and he likes the potential the offensive-minded defenseman brings to the lineup.

“We’re getting, in today’s game, a very important defenseman in the sense that he’s a puck-mover who can jump into the play and has good ability to make that first good pass out of our [defensive] zone,” Vigneault said. “He’s very motivated. I saw him when I came to Philly a few weeks back. He was excited to be with our group, excited to help us win. We’re looking forward to get to know him a lot more and helping him help our team.”

Gustafsson, who has averaged nearly 20 minutes of ice time per game in his career (19 minutes, 58 seconds), has his best season two years ago, collecting 17 goals and 60 points in 79 games with Chicago. The Flyers plan to use him as part of their defensive rotation and on the power play.

Yes! Hope AV/Yeo insert Gus with Provorov on the #1 pairing. Gus is LH but has played almost exclusevly on the Right Side and prefers it.

“I played a couple games on the left with Calgary (recently) but it didn’t feel right,’’ he [Gus] said. “So right now I’m used to playing on the right side. I feel more confident on the right side. Whatever the coaches want me to do, I play there.’’

Being friends with fellow Swedish defenseman Robert Hagg of the Flyers should help Gustafsson with the transition to a new team. In fact, the two are currently practicing together back home in their native country. Gustafsson also is friends with Oskar Lindblom.

“They’re two very good guys to know,’’ Gustafsson said. “I’m looking forward to playing with them.’’

If there’s any doubt Flyers’ newly acquired Erik Gustafsson can perform in the bright lights of a top defense pairing role, consider this boldface line on his resume:

One of his recent partners has been two-time Norris Trophy winner Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks.

That should assuage possible concerns if Gustafsson happens to be placed in a tandem with rising star Ivan Provorov when hockey resumes sometime around Jan. 1, 2021.

Although Gustafsson — signed to a one-year, $3-million free-agent contract on Monday — is a left-shooting backliner, he’s been playing mostly on the right side over the past few years.

He says he’s comfortable on his “off’’ flank and that could help if Flyers coach Alain Vigneault decides to start him there and fill the vacancy left by the retiring Matt Niskanen.

At 28, Gustafsson has been around long enough to know the ropes on a top pairing. And besides playing with Keith, Gustafsson also had a chance to compete with other stars (forwards) such as three-time Stanley Cup champions Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews.

Two seasons ago, Gustafsson slumped a bit until he was paired with Keith on a somewhat regular basis. Then things started to turn around.

In reading all the transcripts of Fletcher/Flahr/AV media conferences of the last few months, it seems like they are thinking of a more up-pace defensive corp that is competent in the D-zone but also has speed/quickness/smarts in quickly exiting the D-zone and joining the rush.

>> Erik Gustafsson wasn't signed to replace Matt Niskanen, but the Philadelphia Flyers feel the 28-year-old defenseman can give them something they were lacking.

"[Gustafsson] has tremendous deception with the puck, tremendous poise," general manager Chuck Fletcher said. "We don't have a defenseman that sees the ice like he does, he can play on the power play. It's a different type of skill set than Matt ... there wasn't going to be that ability to replace Matt per se with the same style." <<

>> "We think his (Gustafsson) skill set meshes really well with what we need," Fletcher said. "We think we have a lot of strong defenders on our team and we're very structured defensively as a group. His skill set, his ability to go back on pucks and make good decisions and transition the puck up the ice, we thought was a very important element to add to our group." <<

GM Fletcher: >> "Gustafsson’s just got tremendous deception and vision. I think he generates offense a little bit differently than Ghost. I think Provorov’s elite defensively. Sanheim and Myers in my opinion will become elite shutdown defensemen in this league. Justin Braun is an elite defender [defensively]. Hägg is a good defender. So why not have a couple guys that can spring your offense? If we can defend less, that would be a great thing." <<

The 'new era NHL' approach to the defence corps - - multiple defencemen who are very mobile, fast/quick, puck-moving out of the D-zone, join-the-rush, and can put up solid offensive numbers (in addition to being competent defensively). We now have 4 of these.

Maybe it will work.

Instead of looking at losing an excellent defenceman in Niskanen, who complements/protects Provorov, and saying 'Gustafsson doesn't replace Niskenen' -

- - can we say that actually now 'Provorov replaces Niskanen and the skilled Gustafsson replaces Provorov' in role for that pair?

Also, IMO, do not break-up the in-sync, and successful, pair of Sanheim/Myers. We won't be surprised to see AV keep the advantage of having twin towers Sanheim and Myers continued to be paired.

They played together with the Phantoms and the Flyers. Knowing your partner well in traits/tendancies/abilities is a big plus. Work in the defensive zone puck retrieval and break-out becomes automatic and efficient.

Fletcher played it smart in signing Gus for 1 season.

- advantage Flyers - if Gus was signed for multiple years, and assuming Fletcher would opt for the Protected List 7F/3D/1G choice, Provorov/Sanheim/Myers would be set, and Gus would be vulnerable to be selected by Seattle.

Not so with Gus on a 1-year contract because Gus would be a UFA at time of the July 21 Expansion Draft (UFA on 7/1/21). And, our Flyers would have a shot at signing him after the Expansion Draft if mutual interest.*

- advantage Flyers - it gives Fletcher/AV a chance to evaluate Gus over the 56 game 2020-21 season, plus playoffs, without commiting to a mult-year contract.

* There is obvious risk. On 7/1/21 Gus will be a UFA.  Illegal 3rd-party tampering could happen with a Seattle represenative contacting Gus' agent prior to 7/1/21 and then have a 'telephone handshake agreement' for a contract. 

Assuming Gus has played very well for AV's team, and our Flyers want Gus back for a multi-year 'stay' contract, and assuming Gus likes it here, Fletcher could 'pay' Gus with a new contract. All this without losing him in the Expansion Draft.

Apologies for a loooong post.

I'm high on Gus, low on Ghost who needs to be traded soon before the July Expansion Draft for reasons stated above.

Flyers sign Defenseman Erik Gustafsson to a 1-year Deal! | #LetsGoFlyers -  YouTube

With The Morin Experiment in full swing as LD(about time we have a semblance of a punisher) the organization is rooting for him to succeed.

I prefer:

Provy - Ghost
Sanny - Myers
Hagg  - Gustafsson

Braun/Friedman

Ghost has this year to show his game and can be a catalyst to us winning the Stanley Cup. He has game changer in his DNA.

In regards to the expansion draft. If he can't pull it off this year as the player he was trajecting to be, than maybe look for a sign and trade partner.

We think Ghost is a better defensive player than Gustafsson besides his recovery from injury struggle as was G's struggle as well, which answered doubts he was toast. Ghost was recovering from that the following year along with some knee problems early last year.
Actually Gus has been known as a weak link on defense.
Provy and Ghost were a first pairing before Ghost ailments threw his game off.
Ghost at less than 100% is less effective than Gus at less than 100%, so if Ghost comes back less than 100%, I feel Gus should take over.

Owner and President the late Ed Schneider, lauded Ghost and said, "He's Ghot's to behere!" as he saw the natural talent and skill and poise he showed.

Putting up record seasonal stats, his first year as well.

csn-shayne-gostisbehere.jpg

.NEW YORK — The nickname came during his freshman year at Union College

Shayne Gostisbehere was at a campus party when he bumped into sophomore forward Josh Jooris, who now plays for the Calgary Flames.

“Josh came up to me and started calling me Ghostbusters,” recalled Gostisbehere. “That turned into Ghost. I got a nickname from a nickname. It’s a pretty cool nickname. I love it.”

These days, everyone who follows Flyers hockey knows who “Ghost” is and what he’s about.

And after this weekend, Ghost has gone international.

On Saturday against the Devils, Gostisbehere extended his rookie point streak to 11 games with a power-play goal. That established a new Flyers franchise mark for a rookie, breaking Mikael Renberg’s 1993-94 record.

At the same time, the 11 games also set a new NHL record for points streak by a rookie defenseman, breaking Barry Beck’s 1977-78 mark with Colorado.

His power-play assist during the 3-1 loss to the Rangers extended that streak to 12 games.

By Sunday evening, the 22-year-old Floridian had time to reflect on the record as well as the whirlwind it’s been for him in just 36 games since being called up in mid-November.

“It’s awesome,” Gostisbehere said. “It’s history. And it’s pretty cool to be part of history. Especially, so early in my career. I can’t thank my teammates enough. Without them, I could not do any of that.

“Like the goal. Simmer (Wayne Simmonds) jumping in mid-air to get in [New Jersey Devils goalie Cory] Schneider’s eyes. Little things like that. Guys putting the puck in the net for me when I pass it to them. It’s a team effort with me getting the accolades.”

Gostisbehere is third on the Flyers with 18 power-play points. His 10 goals are fourth on the team. Among all NHL rookies, he is fifth in scoring with 31 points and had played at least 20 less games than the leaders.

His six power-play goals are tied for the rookie lead. He leads all rookies in power-play assists (13) and points (18) and is fourth in game-winning goals (3).

“People should be excited by this young guy,” Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol said. “What he has done entering the league has been very impressive. You are always challenged by what you can do the next day. His start has been exciting and it’s been impactful.

“As long as he keeps his feet on the ground, which he continually speaks well to, and he is hungry to improve and get better every day, he’ll continue to answer that question about what he brings the next day.”

Don’t think for a minute that Ghost doesn’t know that. He was keenly aware of general manager Ron Hextall’s comments all through the summer and training camp about patience in developing rookies, not pushing the envelope, and making sure young players who get a chance don’t get too comfortable in their surroundings.

Hextall wants his prospects to pay their dues. Even when he called Ghost up from the Phantoms, Hextall fretted over how other prospects would react. That is, would they think it’s too easy to get to the NHL level? Or maybe all they needed was an injury to a veteran player to propel them.

Gostisbehere understood Hextall’s concerns.

“I wasn’t a high draft pick or first-rounder,” said Gostisbehere, who was picked in the third round of the 2012 draft. “I went to college. It is different. I think it depends on the player himself. … When you get your number called, you go out and … make it tough on them to send you back down.

“That’s what stuck in my mind. Play the game and show him I can be an everyday player. I wasn’t trying to show him he was wrong. He has a plan for everyone. You need to trust your general manager. He has proven that patience is a key.”

Hakstol admits that Ghost has exceeded his expectations. Then again, Hakstol really had none to begin with given Gostisbehere was an injury recall and would not have been here had it not been for Mark Streit’s surgery last November.

“He is excelling in the first couple months in the league on the offensive side and that is what brings and draws attention,” Hakstol said.

That's another way of saying what the Flyers want to see is for him to excel on the defensive side of the puck. Man-up play. Play in front of the net. Moving the puck out of the defensive zone confidently and efficiently without turnovers.

“Those things are very important, too,” Hakstol said. “His overall game coming into the league has been good. How hard are you willing to push every day to make it better?”

Gostisbehere says there is a trickle-down effect to other defensive prospects in the organization — Sam Morin, Robert Hagg, Travis Sanheim, Mark Alt and Ivan Provorov.

“I want to set a good example, show them you can have fun and stay humble doing it,” Gostisbehere said. “If you get a big head, bad things can happen. Stay within yourself, work hard. Success will come.”

-----------------------------------------------------
Gus is a welcome signing. It's not a matter of choosing one or the other, it's a matter of putting Ghost back in a position to succeed and Gus in a position to excel.

I prefer:

Provy - Ghost
Sanny - Myers
Hagg  - Gustafsson

If Ghost falters than we can bring up Gus to switch with Ghost.

We still have multi years with Ghost and one questionable year with Gus.
Braun would of been gone had Nisky stayed, so you can never say anything as a certainty.
Ghost is a controlled cost and if he excels we try to keep him or trade if he will be taken. We still have this year to work with that.
If a doctor tells you, your going to loose your arm next year, why would you cut it off this year to just get it over with.
KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE! (barring a solid trade back)

So best possible lineup as of January 2021:

I prefer:

Provy - Ghost(if excels)
Sanny - Myers
Hagg  - Gustafsson(wild card strengthening the third pairing offensively)

Hip Hip Hurray for a long post going longer.

I think Ghost is on top and Gus is a question mark.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

9 hours ago, Zzeke said:

hose Flyers Board members who are in the US outside the Philadelphia TV coverage area, how do you see TV Flyers games? Is there an NHL TV package to subscribe to? Streaming? Pirating?

Happy New Year:

I've done the NHL Center Ice Package through Comcast.  It is $149 for the season (if memory serves).  Most of the time I get the home feed but, sometimes it is a feed from another source such as CNBC or Rogers.  I've had it for 6-7 years and think it is OK if you accept the occasional away feed and the fact that not all broadcasts are in HD (I believe).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

wOULDN'T This bE   sUMPTHIN'.....sumpthin..........

Giroux - Couturier - Laine
 Laughton - Hayes -  Farabee
 Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny 
       Morin -  Raffle -  N.AK

This Morin gambit is interesting and I am glad the kid is being a chance to prove himself.  This is his last chance to make it in the NHL given the depth we have at D.  The good thing is we see this experiment play out in real time...a short camp and no preseason games.  

Three of our first rounders of the last eight (?) years are big question marks.  Morin, Rubstov, and Patrick.  I suspect this will be make-or-break for the trio.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

if barzel is on the block, would you trade for him if the price is right? because our top players are going to regress and we need some young core players to build around eventually.

I would trade them EVERYONE not named coots, provy or hart

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I've done the NHL Center Ice Package through Comcast.  It is $149 for the season (if memory serves). 

The package from NHL.com is only $84 and you can watch it on any device as well as chromecast it to your TV.

If you have a smart TV you can watch it with the app. I like this option because i can watch it on my phone at work.

And you get to select the broadcast you want. Home or away. I think this is much better than center ice. All you have to do is sign up for it on NHL.com.

Just an idea if you want more options to watch the game.

• Like 1

Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest

Every Saturday at 12 Noon.

Current Standings (of those who have participated in the first 4 weeks):

3 Podein25
1 CoachX
1 flyercanuck
0 pilldoc

12/5/20 CoachX - - - Hexy and Gretzky

12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Behn Wilson
12/12/20 Podein25 - - - Mark Friedman

12/19/20 Podein25 - - - Mike McKenna

12/26/20 flyercanuck - - - Forsberg and Kapanen

Today, Jan 2, nobody will get the answer. Not even veteran Flyers fans P25 and CX. Guaranteed.

Who is this Flyers tough guy?

HF Contest.jpg