Flyers 2020-21 season

Bad vibes - Meltzer this morning (1/21/21) - 

- - the Flyers lost defenseman Philippe Myers (left knee) and rookie center Morgan Frost in Tuesday's game. No timetables were released for Myers and Frost on Wednesday; an off-day for the Flyers. It is feared that Myers' injury will be of the long-term variety. Additionally, Frost was already placed on injured reserve.

We should get an official statement later today before tonight's game vs Boston.

We already know that Bunnaman and Friedman (RH) will be in the game tonight.

Edited by Zzeke
  • Uggh... 1

18 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Wow!  Violations and heavy penalty - - players have got to be smarter - - 

EVGENY KUZNETSOV
C, WASHINGTON CAPITALS

The NHL has announced that forward Evgeny Kuznetsov has entered the league's COVID-19 protocol.

It appears all the Russian's on the team got together and broke league rules, as Alex Ovechkin, Dmitry Orlov and Ilya Samsonov are joining Kuznetsov in the protocol. Kuznetsov started the year with a goal and three points in four games and the Capitals will have the tough time figuring out life without such a core group of players. The NHL also announced that they have fined the Washington organization $100,000 for COVID-19 violations.

SOURCE: Greg Wyshynski on Twitter
Jan 20, 2021, 7:05 PM ET

The saga continues - 

Players have got to be smarter than this - 

ALEX OVECHKIN
LW, WASHINGTON CAPITALS

Alex Ovechkin won't be available for Washington's next four games after violating the NHL's COVID-19 protocols. 

Ovechkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Ilya Samsonov and Dmitry Orlov will be unavailable for the team's next four games and then their cases will be reviewed.

Coach Peter Laviolette said Thursday that the four players will quarantine while following COVID-19 protocols. Laviolette mentioned that there was a positive case among the group and they are all being held out for contact tracing.

RELATED: Evgeny Kuznetsov, Ilya Samsonov, Dmitry Orlov
SOURCE: Tom Gulitti on Twitter
Jan 21, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.broadstreethockey.com/platform/amp/2021/1/21/22242353/flyers-provide-injury-updates-for-phil-myers-morgan-frost

Myers suffered a fractured rib in Tuesday night’s victory over the Buffalo Sabres and is considered week-to-week. Frost, meanwhile, is out indefinitely with a dislocated left shoulder. The Flyers placed Frost on IR.

this sucks......  :(

SHAYNE GOSTISBEHERE
D, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Shayne Gostisbehere skated on his own Wednesday and could be ready to return to the team when they come back from their road trip.  

Gostisbehere has not played yet this season after being put in COVID protocol, but it sounds like he could be available relatively soon. He posted five goals and 12 points in 42 games last season. 

SOURCE: Bill Meltzer on Twitter
Jan 21, 2021, 12:03 PM ET

The 'Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest' will not be posted tomorrow. The Contest is on-hold until next off-season when things slow-down after the SC, 2 Drafts, and Free Agency.

Right now there is plenty of material to post here during the season as there are 4 (or 3) games per week in this compressed 56-game season and our focus is on these. (Especially since 'the sky is falling', 'the sky is falling'.)

And, you guys are tooo sharp. Even the hardest player photos were identified!  animated smileys embarrassed

I need several months to find some photos of our Flyers that will stump you all.  animated smileys thinking

Zzeke

image.png.d057fb943c8388ae8a760d3dcaf378

Edited by Zzeke

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

The 'Saturday Flyers Mystery Photo Contest' will not be posted tomorrow. The Contest is on-hold until next off-season when things slow-down after the SC, 2 Drafts, and Free Agency.

Right now there is plenty of material to post here during the season as there are 4 (or 3) games per week in this compressed 56-game season and our focus is on these. (Especially since 'the sky is falling', 'the sky is falling'.)

And, you guys are tooo sharp. Even the hardest player photos were identified!  animated smileys embarrassed

I need several months to find some photos of our Flyers that will stump you all.  animated smileys thinking

Zzeke

here's one to add to your collection :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

See the source image

cool mask, never saw that before

Edited by Cheesesteak
added text

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Zzeke

Just when I was about to pass Pods for the lead...and all the glory that goes with it! 

27 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

here's one to add to your collection :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

See the source image

cool mask, never saw that before

Wayne Stephenson

14 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think Dubois is going to end up in Philadelphia. Just a gut feeling. It has Flyers written all over it. 

What would you guess the mutual (win-win) deal would be in assets and Cap neutral?

And what Center would move to wing?:

Couturier

Hayes

Patrick (No! Minimize his being at the wall.)

Dubois (Who wants to play Center.)

(Not moved to 4th line Center where AVs criteria does not fit any of these 4.)

53 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

This weekend's trade - 

PIERRE-LUC DUBOIS
C, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

According to TSN's Darren Dreger, the Columbus Blue Jackets are closing in on a trade involving Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Dubois' desire to get out of Columbus has been well-documented, but things took an ugly turn last night when head coach John Tortorella benched the young forward for the second, third and overtime periods.

Dreger didn't mention who the favorite to land the 22-year-old is, but he said that the Winnipeg Jets are still involved and that some teams have been told that they're out of the running. It sounds like Dubois will finally get his wish at some point this weekend.

SOURCE: Darren Dreger on Twitter
Jan 22, 2021, 7:52 PM ET

•  

19 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

What would you guess the mutual (win-win) deal would be in assets and Cap neutral?

And what Center would move to wing?:

Couturier

Hayes

Patrick (No! Minimize his being at the wall.)

Dubois (Who wants to play Center.)

(Not moved to 4th line Center where AVs criteria does not fit any of these 4.)

I think if Dubois comes to Philadelphia, he stays on the wing. I don't think he'll have a problem here because he'll probably get to play some center as well. Vigneault loves versatile forwards and that will garner Dubois tons of time.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think if Dubois comes to Philadelphia, he stays on the wing. I don't think he'll have a problem here because he'll probably get to play some center as well. Vigneault loves versatile forwards and that will garner Dubois tons of time.  

Something like this would be great, but no chance:

1a) Giroux-Couturier-Voracek

1b) Dubois-Hayes-Farabee

1c) Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny

4) Raffl-Laughton-NAK

Someone above must go in the trade. Who? Plus Frost? (But, he is out injured long term.) Columbus will not want JVR IMO.

Low probability for our Flyers.

1 minute ago, Zzeke said:

Something like this would be great, but no chance:

1a) Giroux-Couturier-Voracek

1b) Dubois-Hayes-Farabee

1c) Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny

4) Raffl-Laughton-NAK

Someone above must go in the trade. Who? Plus Frost? (But, he is out injured long term.) Columbus will not want JVR IMO.

Low probability for our Flyers.

The first three lines would be in tact, but the fourth line will look different. I folktales expect Laughton will be one of the pieces moved,  Frost will be one of the pieces and I think Sanheim would be another piece.  I could see Laughton thriving under Tortorella.  I know Frost is hurt,  but he'd be a Tortorella favorite as well. Torts might be old school in his bench boss approach, but he likes offensively skilled players who can skate and are smart.  Frost fits that bill. As for Sanheim, I think the organization can move in from him and they won't be the worse off. Honestly, I'm disappointed that Sanheim hasn't taken that next step yet.  He's got all the tools, but I'm wondering if this is another case of Braydon Coburn in that all the physical tools are there,  but the toolbox just isn't there.  Maybe someone can coach it into him, but I don't think Sanheim is long for here. 

26 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The first three lines would be in tact, but the fourth line will look different. I folktales expect Laughton will be one of the pieces moved,  Frost will be one of the pieces and I think Sanheim would be another piece.  I could see Laughton thriving under Tortorella.  I know Frost is hurt,  but he'd be a Tortorella favorite as well. Torts might be old school in his bench boss approach, but he likes offensively skilled players who can skate and are smart.  Frost fits that bill. As for Sanheim, I think the organization can move in from him and they won't be the worse off. Honestly, I'm disappointed that Sanheim hasn't taken that next step yet.  He's got all the tools, but I'm wondering if this is another case of Braydon Coburn in that all the physical tools are there,  but the toolbox just isn't there.  Maybe someone can coach it into him, but I don't think Sanheim is long for here. 

Maybe Sanheim is moved. Maybe not.

But I see him completely different than the above assessment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't get those being down on the 24 year old, 6-4, Sanheim, and only after 5 games.

I suspect that the focus by some is that he is soft because he tries to avoid hits, without those also focusing on all of his attributes as our Flyers #2 defenceman: age, length, poke-check, D-zone positioning, minimal turn-overs, good D-zone exit passing, excellent skater, will join the rush and is dangerous in the offensive zone, excellent shot, good on the Power Play point when needed, good on PK. 

The 24 year old Sanheim has up-side as he has only 2 full NHL seasons and has not reached his peak. It's common for young talented defencemen to take approx 3-4 full seasons to fully mature in the NHL game. Wise GMs know that and won't panic and trade.

A good example comes to mind - - young Pronger was slow to develop and after 2 seasons Hartford traded him to St Louis for a forward. It took him 2 more seasons in St Louis to become a + player. In his 5th season he emerged with a +47 year and went on to become an all-star. I'm not saying Sanheim will become a Pronger, but I am saying patience is in order for a young promising defenceman with skills. Fletcher won't panic.

And, it's much harder for NHL teams to build a quality defense unit than the forward lines.

GM Fletcher on Oct 17, 2020:

I think [Ivan] Provorov’s elite defensively, [Travis] Sanheim and Myers, in my opinion, will become elite shutdown defensemen in this league.

The 30 other GM would salavate at getting Sanheim. And, of course, our Flyers 3 defencemen on the Protected List for the July Expansion Draft will be Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers (the #1, #2, and #3 defencemen).

Just IMO.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau of the New York Islanders is defended by Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers during the first period in Game Three of the...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Good Post 1