Wings biggest rivalries all time

On 5/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, notfondajane said:

I'm curious on who is Detroit's biggest rivalries of all time are?

Plus the most recent ones also?

To me:

1) Blackhawks during original six era, they were the two Western teams and kind of by default as Boston/New York and Toronto/Montreal were already taken.

2) The Blues. MAN was that a fun rivalry for a lot of years, it seemed they were down at the same time and up at the same time as well, i HATED Pronger and loved it when Yzerman ripped a slapper past Fuhr in OT from just inside the blueline to finish them off in a playoff series.

3) The Norris AKA the Black and Blue division. It was a time when Calgary/Edmonton dominated and the Norris wasnt vey good so the North Stars, Leafs, Wings, Hawks and Blues would sign every knucle dragger who could barely stand on skates to entertain, yet guys like Yzerman, Federko, Modano and Roenick were brilliant to watch.

4) Love hating the Pens. I respect the Hell out of their talent, i enjoy watching them and secretly dont hate Crosby but love the rivalry.

5) to me however the rivalry, which is up there with the Nordiques/Habs and the Battle of Alberta has to be the Wings V Avalanche, i still hate Claude Lemieux, Roy, Keane, Ricci and so many more, i detest them more than almost any current players. It was two elite teams where no quarter was aksed, none given and from 96 thru 02 whoever got past the other one went on to win the cup 5 times in 7 years. Two hall of fame stacked teams that truly hated each others guts. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, yave1964 said:

To me:

1) Blackhawks during original six era, they were the two Western teams and kind of by default as Boston/New York and Toronto/Montreal were already taken.

2) The Blues. MAN was that a fun rivalry for a lot of years, it seemed they were down at the same time and up at the same time as well, i HATED Pronger and loved it when Yzerman ripped a slapper past Fuhr in OT from just inside the blueline to finish them off in a playoff series.

3) The Norris AKA the Black and Blue division. It was a time when Calgary/Edmonton dominated and the Norris wasnt vey good so the North Stars, Leafs, Wings, Hawks and Blues would sign every knucle dragger who could barely stand on skates to entertain, yet guys like Yzerman, Federko, Modano and Roenick were brilliant to watch.

4) Love hating the Pens. I respect the Hell out of their talent, i enjoy watching them and secretly dont hate Crosby but love the rivalry.

5) to me however the rivalry, which is up there with the Nordiques/Habs and the Battle of Alberta has to be the Wings V Avalanche, i still hate Claude Lemieux, Roy, Keane, Ricci and so many more, i detest them more than almost any current players. It was two elite teams where no quarter was aksed, none given and from 96 thru 02 whoever got past the other one went on to win the cup 5 times in 7 years. Two hall of fame stacked teams that truly hated each others guts. 

When you listed Blackhawks as 1, I thought you were ranking them #1! Obviously, I thought you were off your rocker! Then I read the whole thing. It was a list, not a ranking. Whew!

And P.S., that Yzerman goal was 2OT. Game 7 too! I remember it well! Gary Thorne with the call. Etched forever!

Vladdy coughs up a juicy puck to Wayne Gretzky--of all people!--who by the grace of God was too gassed to handle it. Yzerman picks it up on the move, blue line and GAME OVER! SERIES OVER!

LEGEND!

And I may be biased, but NO rivalry had the intensity that Wings/Avs had. Some may have been longer. But hatred-wise, hard to remember one that compares. You could still see it in the Legends game when they played outdoors a few years ago. Wings lost, and it STILL stings! Bitter pill!

The combination of skill and competitiveness on BOTH teams peaking at just about the same time was as close to the impact of unstoppable force and immovable object that hockey has produced in my lifetime.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

I would love to see the Wings and Blues play.

I always liked the Pens and Wings play. Especially when we were division rivals in the 70s. I hope the NHL realignment put these two teams back in the same division. 

D..m Cleveland would not support the Barons. I would like to see these teams beat each other up.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:25 AM, yave1964 said:

To me:

I really hate the Toronto vs Montreal rivalry..... because it's 99% manufactured and only 1% real. The Leafs haven't played a playoff game against Montreal in my lifetime. I'm starting to wonder if they've ever played Montreal in any playoff game ever. If they have, please post a link to the footage lol. 

The real rivalry is Montreal vs Boston or Montreal vs Nordiques. I just don't see Toronto in the conversation at all. 

Toronto's closest rivals (for a team that doesn't win enough to have rivals this is really stretching things) would be:

1. Boston (no question about it)
  2. Ottawa (playoff history here from the battle of Ontario unlike Montreal)
  3. Buffalo (close proximity and a team that always has the Leafs number)
  4. Detroit (close proximity, original six, and former divisional foe)
  5. Then it's everyone else.

I'd probably flip Buffalo and Detroit but I'm too lazy.  :) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I really hate the Toronto vs Montreal rivalry..... because it's 99% manufactured and only 1% real. The Leafs haven't played a playoff game against Montreal in my lifetime. I'm starting to wonder if they've ever played Montreal in any playoff game ever. If they have, please post a link to the footage lol. 

The real rivalry is Montreal vs Boston or Montreal vs Nordiques. I just don't see Toronto in the conversation at all. 

Toronto's closest rivals (for a team that doesn't win enough to have rivals this is really stretching things) would be:

1. Boston (no question about it)
  2. Ottawa (playoff history here from the battle of Ontario unlike Montreal)
  3. Buffalo (close proximity and a team that always has the Leafs number)
  4. Detroit (close proximity, original six, and former divisional foe)
  5. Then it's everyone else.

I'd probably flip Buffalo and Detroit but I'm too lazy.  :) 

The wife and i were in Toronto a decade ago, the Senators were on their way down, Toronto was pretty bad, the two of them played the night before, (I think the Leafs won) it was the only thing on the news for the next day, i mean, THE ONLY THING. A meaningless game between two teams that everyone knew were going nowhere and it was inspected digested rejected infected selected on all three channels that we got at our hotel. I was stunned, i think that was the moment that i realized that Minny may be the State of Hockey, Motown may be Hockeytown but Canada is a different animal. If the Wings play a hard fought  game against say, Nashville, that night it might lead in sports but by the next day it is pretty much forgotten. I remember the Emery/Gerber debate beingdiscussed Ad nauseum on television as if it were Trump versus Biden/ 

In short, in the USA Hockey is sport, in Canada it is life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...