Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Hockey Junkie

Does long lay off give the teams playing first series an edge?

Recommended Posts

I am sure nobody in Philly wants to hear this, but I wonder if this first round could give the surviving teams and edge early on vs the teams that have a BYE?  I mean, they are going to play a best of 5 series.  That gives them time on the ice in game situations and then the bye teams come in maybe a bit more rusty?  I would expect an upset or two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am sure nobody in Philly wants to hear this, but I wonder if this first round could give the surviving teams and edge early on vs the teams that have a BYE?  I mean, they are going to play a best of 5 series.  That gives them time on the ice in game situations and then the bye teams come in maybe a bit more rusty?  I would expect an upset or two

 

The theory as I understand it is that the "bye" teams will play some games against each other to get into "game shape." The incentive would be the seeding (i.e. they are playing for top seed).

Edited by radoran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never liked byes. Let alone after this long of a layoff. I'm glad they're at least playing a round robin, but I'd rather be in a playoff round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I've never liked byes. Let alone after this long of a layoff. I'm glad they're at least playing a round robin, but I'd rather be in a playoff round.

I would have liked to have seen a short season (6-8 games) then continue the post season as usual.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's cliché, but everything can happen once you're in, especially in that extraordinary situation. All counters are set to zero, it's like a new season where unexpected teams are on top of the standings before fading out.

 

In that context, as much as I'm pissed to admit it, Montréal has a reasonable chance to beat the Pens for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

It's cliché, but everything can happen once you're in, especially in that extraordinary situation. All counters are set to zero, it's like a new season where unexpected teams are on top of the standings before fading out.

 

In that context, as much as I'm pissed to admit it, Montréal has a reasonable chance to beat the Pens for example.

I tend to agree to your last paragraph. I hope talent prevails in these " playoffs"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Talent and equity, so to speak, and hoping for a bright and clear sweep in this particular series. 

I hope that Pittsburgh is the team that brings the brooms. With the circumstances the way they are anything could happen.

  • Uggh... 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, radoran said:

 

The theory as I understand it is that the "bye" teams will play some games against each other to get into "game shape." The incentive would be the seeding (i.e. they are playing for top seed).

 

Or the bye teams could destroy each other as they battle over seeding and the other teams could take full advantage of that.


As a Toronto fan, I wanted to see Leafs vs Lightning -- the most exciting first round playoff series with (let's be honest) the two most entertaining teams in the NHL. Star power vs star power. A dream match up. Other teams may have more points, but other teams are also more boring. Instead, I get Toronto vs Columbus...... the f'n BlowJackets that NOBODY in Toronto cares about. Don't like the team. Don't care one iota about the roster. Don't want to ever watch a Columbus NHL game. Don't want our drought-ending victory path to the Stanley Cup to be sullied by having this "dwarf planet" of a franchise invited to the center of the hockey universe to play on our ice.  

 

(I hate every aspect of this playoff format... but I'm trying to stay positive and keep an open mind.)  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

(I hate every aspect of this playoff format... but I'm trying to stay positive and keep an open mind.)  :)

 

I honestly don't give a rat's ####ing ass.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

I honestly don't give a rat's ####ing ass.

 

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me personally or the topic of the playoff format.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

 


As a Toronto fan, I wanted to see Leafs vs Lightning -- the most exciting first round playoff series with (let's be honest) the two most entertaining teams in the NHL.

 

I guess if they play each other ONE of them HAS to get out of the first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

I guess if they play each other ONE of them HAS to get out of the first round.

 

Since everyone seems to be coming at me lately (and my latest thread which included a three page long post researching the facts about the current situation going on down there just got deleted -- not locked -- without any explanation), I'm just going to drop the gloves and start hitting back. I don't have to take the "high road" any more and try to play nice.

 

I was referring specifically to the offensive firepower that both clubs have and their style of play. Tampa won the Presidents trophy a year ago and stubbed their toe in the playoffs much like the Detroit Red Wings did in the 1990's..... so the joke about Tampa is getting old. The Lightning have a Stanley Cup win a lot more recent than the Flyers do, and have been a much more successful franchise recently as well.

 

As for the Leafs, they never lost a first round to an opponent that they were supposed to beat. In each case they were over-matched by a superior team (elite teams like Boston and Washington), but took the series long before bowing out. Unlike the Flyers, the Leafs don't make the playoffs every year and then choke. The Leafs tend to go deep into the playoffs when they have a great team, thereby making the most out of their opportunities. 

 

(Snide remarks are now going to be met with snide remarks in return btw.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me personally or the topic of the playoff format. 

 

The "playoffs" in general.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

The "playoffs" in general.

 

Oh. Well that's a relief. 

 

Sometimes it's hard to tell when I'm reading text if people are angry with me, the subject, the concept of whatever we're talking about, or whatever.  I wish people would use more emojis!  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Unlike the Flyers, the Leafs don't make the playoffs every year and then choke. The Leafs tend to go deep into the playoffs when they have a great team, thereby making the most out of their opportunities. 

 

The Leafs have lost in the first round each of the past three years. They missed the playoffs the three years before that. Then they lost in the first round. Then they missed the playoffs for seven years. In '04 they made the second round where they lost to... the Flyers. The year before that they lost in the first round to... the Flyers.

 

I'm guessing you're referrring to 2002 - which was 18 years ago.

 

#11Cups

 

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

The Leafs have lost in the first round each of the past three years. They missed the playoffs the three years before that. Then they lost in the first round. Then they missed the playoffs for seven years. In '04 they made the second round where they lost to... the Flyers. The year before that they lost in the first round to... the Flyers.

 

I'm guessing you're referrring to 2002 - which was 18 years ago.

 

#11Cups

 

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

 

 

That's my point: In the most recent three years, the Leafs were the underdog going into each of those series. Nobody thought any of those first round match-ups favored the Leafs. 

 

If you go all the way back to Toronto vs Philly, those teams were evenly matched. I think one year they were 4/5 in the standings. It was a coin toss of a series. 

 

In any event, the two most exciting teams in the NHL today are Toronto and Tampa (my opinion of course), and I wanted to see that series because it would have been the first time those two teams have ever met in the playoffs and could have made for the start of a great rivalry.  :) 

 

Personally, I don't like it when Toronto keeps bumping into teams from the Metro division in round one because Toronto fans really don't care about any of those teams. The point of this playoff system was to face teams in your own division first. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

Since everyone seems to be coming at me lately (and my latest thread which included a three page long post researching the facts about the current situation going on down there just got deleted -- not locked -- without any explanation), I'm just going to drop the gloves and start hitting back. I don't have to take the "high road" any more and try to play nice.

 

I was referring specifically to the offensive firepower that both clubs have and their style of play. Tampa won the Presidents trophy a year ago and stubbed their toe in the playoffs much like the Detroit Red Wings did in the 1990's..... so the joke about Tampa is getting old. The Lightning have a Stanley Cup win a lot more recent than the Flyers do, and have been a much more successful franchise recently as well.

 

As for the Leafs, they never lost a first round to an opponent that they were supposed to beat. In each case they were over-matched by a superior team (elite teams like Boston and Washington), but took the series long before bowing out. Unlike the Flyers, the Leafs don't make the playoffs every year and then choke. The Leafs tend to go deep into the playoffs when they have a great team, thereby making the most out of their opportunities. 

 

(Snide remarks are now going to be met with snide remarks in return btw.)

 

 

 My shot wasn't at you...it was at two powerhouse regular season teams who do squat in the playoffs. Yes Tampa won a cup...they beat a Flyer team in 7 games that was decimated with injury so bad that Sami Kapanen was playing defence. The same Flyer team that eliminated the Leafs that season. The same Flyer team that has also gone to the finals since then. 

 

 I'll argue Flyer/Leaf playoff runs all you want. The Leafs may "go deep" when they have a good team...they haven't been to the finals since 67. Flyers have been there 8 times since then.

 

Let's not get bent out of shape over sports. We've given each other jabs before with no issue. My Trump comment in the other thread was only because you did sound like him. But I apologize.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, flyercanuck said:

Let's not get bent out of shape over sports. We've given each other jabs before with no issue. My Trump comment in the other thread was only because you did sound like him. But I apologize.

 

Thanks.  😊👍

 

I think it's just the events from the past few weeks (and months quite frankly) that have been getting to me (and probably everyone else too).  I've tried my best not to get dragged down by it.  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

Oh. Well that's a relief. 

 

Sometimes it's hard to tell when I'm reading text if people are angry with me, the subject, the concept of whatever we're talking about, or whatever.  I wish people would use more emojis!  :) 

Being a leafs fan everyone may be angry with you..lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

Thanks.  😊👍

 

I think it's just the events from the past few weeks (and months quite frankly) that have been getting to me (and probably everyone else too).  I've tried my best not to get dragged down by it.  

The only future bet I have is a Toronto vs St Louis final.  So that is what I want to see

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 1:30 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

Thanks.  😊👍

 

I think it's just the events from the past few weeks (and months quite frankly) that have been getting to me (and probably everyone else too).  I've tried my best not to get dragged down by it.  

The world is a very different place than it was even 5 months ago.  I hope that this Corona fades away.  Might be wishful thinking.  Of course it is.  Some look at it and have called it a punishment from God.  Who knows?  Who can say its not?   Who ever dreamed they would see the day that sports were stopped in their tracks?  Restaurants closed world wide.   All phases of life affected.  Well now that the transition has started back in the right direction, slowly, lets hope for the best.  The new events started in Minnesota do not help.  And the protests are one thing.  The looting and senseless violence are another.  I hope these sports events go off with no major problems.  Not sure about the fans?  The Miami Dolphins were the first to propose 1/4 capacity seating. Better than no fans at all IMO.  I think the NHL and NBA and MLB should try to start the same way.  

As for the playoffs, I just glanced through the matchups.  I do not see my team of course and somehow Botterill kept his job? Shocking to see the Rangers got in.  Upsets are more likely with all the craziness.  I still think the Blues are the best team and partly due to their goalie. And the layoff may have actually helped them.  The East is wide open.  Tampa and Boston would have been solid favs but maybe the layoff can help your Leafs?  The Babcock thing did not help.  I still do not understand what happened there totally.  So I will cheer for a Leafs and Blues final.  I have to cheer for the Blues, them being my 2nd favorite team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 6
      Post
      I don't care what anyone in the media or who works for teams or the NHL itself says....there SHOULD be an asterisk (and there WILL be in the minds of many hockey fans), regardless of who wins this...."tournament". Seems its a hastily slapped together thing that is extremely short sighted and they are doing it just to be able to say "we crowned a champion in 2020"......for all the asterisks that is worth. So any team from the "no business being there Wild" to the "might have won again Blues
    • 3
      Post
      NO....that is incorrect.  What you are talking about is Passive Immunity. By definition, Passive immunity is provided when a person is given antibodies to a disease rather than producing them through his or her own immune system.   A newborn baby acquires passive immunity from its mother through the placenta. A person can also get passive immunity through antibody-containing blood products such as immune globulin, which may be given when immediate protection from a specific disease is
    • 3
      Post
      Thanks for your service bud. Keep at it. Ignorance kills. Nobody appears to know that better than you guys at this point in the proceedings.  
    • 2
      Post
      I would have liked to have seen a short season (6-8 games) then continue the post season as usual.
    • 2
      Post
      Hey Rick - have they tried to stop this coronavirus thing with Ryan Miller yet? Hey? Huh? 
    • 2
      Post
      Apparently not before Jan. 2021 for a starting point with a Winter Classic being the first game of the season, because there will be training camps again and the need to have a break in between. At that point, either it will be a shortened regular season, or they will go to a full season but with playoffs and SC final later on again. I've heard some people working in sports entertainment businesses, they think that "normality" would occur in two to three years from now, not before.    

Game Room 1

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...