Does long lay off give the teams playing first series an edge?

Buffalo Rick

I am sure nobody in Philly wants to hear this, but I wonder if this first round could give the surviving teams and edge early on vs the teams that have a BYE?  I mean, they are going to play a best of 5 series.  That gives them time on the ice in game situations and then the bye teams come in maybe a bit more rusty?  I would expect an upset or two

53 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am sure nobody in Philly wants to hear this, but I wonder if this first round could give the surviving teams and edge early on vs the teams that have a BYE?  I mean, they are going to play a best of 5 series.  That gives them time on the ice in game situations and then the bye teams come in maybe a bit more rusty?  I would expect an upset or two

The theory as I understand it is that the "bye" teams will play some games against each other to get into "game shape." The incentive would be the seeding (i.e. they are playing for top seed).

Edited by radoran

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I've never liked byes. Let alone after this long of a layoff. I'm glad they're at least playing a round robin, but I'd rather be in a playoff round.

I would have liked to have seen a short season (6-8 games) then continue the post season as usual.

• Like 2

It's cliché, but everything can happen once you're in, especially in that extraordinary situation. All counters are set to zero, it's like a new season where unexpected teams are on top of the standings before fading out.

In that context, as much as I'm pissed to admit it, Montréal has a reasonable chance to beat the Pens for example.

59 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

It's cliché, but everything can happen once you're in, especially in that extraordinary situation. All counters are set to zero, it's like a new season where unexpected teams are on top of the standings before fading out.

In that context, as much as I'm pissed to admit it, Montréal has a reasonable chance to beat the Pens for example.

I tend to agree to your last paragraph. I hope talent prevails in these " playoffs"!

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Talent and equity, so to speak, and hoping for a bright and clear sweep in this particular series. 

I hope that Pittsburgh is the team that brings the brooms. With the circumstances the way they are anything could happen.

• Uggh... 1

15 hours ago, radoran said:

The theory as I understand it is that the "bye" teams will play some games against each other to get into "game shape." The incentive would be the seeding (i.e. they are playing for top seed).

Or the bye teams could destroy each other as they battle over seeding and the other teams could take full advantage of that.

As a Toronto fan, I wanted to see Leafs vs Lightning -- the most exciting first round playoff series with (let's be honest) the two most entertaining teams in the NHL. Star power vs star power. A dream match up. Other teams may have more points, but other teams are also more boring. Instead, I get Toronto vs Columbus...... the f'n BlowJackets that NOBODY in Toronto cares about. Don't like the team. Don't care one iota about the roster. Don't want to ever watch a Columbus NHL game. Don't want our drought-ending victory path to the Stanley Cup to be sullied by having this "dwarf planet" of a franchise invited to the center of the hockey universe to play on our ice.  

(I hate every aspect of this playoff format... but I'm trying to stay positive and keep an open mind.)  :)

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

(I hate every aspect of this playoff format... but I'm trying to stay positive and keep an open mind.)  :)

I honestly don't give a rat's ####ing ass.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

As a Toronto fan, I wanted to see Leafs vs Lightning -- the most exciting first round playoff series with (let's be honest) the two most entertaining teams in the NHL.

I guess if they play each other ONE of them HAS to get out of the first round.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess if they play each other ONE of them HAS to get out of the first round.

Since everyone seems to be coming at me lately (and my latest thread which included a three page long post researching the facts about the current situation going on down there just got deleted -- not locked -- without any explanation), I'm just going to drop the gloves and start hitting back. I don't have to take the "high road" any more and try to play nice.

I was referring specifically to the offensive firepower that both clubs have and their style of play. Tampa won the Presidents trophy a year ago and stubbed their toe in the playoffs much like the Detroit Red Wings did in the 1990's..... so the joke about Tampa is getting old. The Lightning have a Stanley Cup win a lot more recent than the Flyers do, and have been a much more successful franchise recently as well.

As for the Leafs, they never lost a first round to an opponent that they were supposed to beat. In each case they were over-matched by a superior team (elite teams like Boston and Washington), but took the series long before bowing out. Unlike the Flyers, the Leafs don't make the playoffs every year and then choke. The Leafs tend to go deep into the playoffs when they have a great team, thereby making the most out of their opportunities. 

(Snide remarks are now going to be met with snide remarks in return btw.)

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

The "playoffs" in general.

Oh. Well that's a relief. 

Sometimes it's hard to tell when I'm reading text if people are angry with me, the subject, the concept of whatever we're talking about, or whatever.  I wish people would use more emojis!  :) 

13 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Unlike the Flyers, the Leafs don't make the playoffs every year and then choke. The Leafs tend to go deep into the playoffs when they have a great team, thereby making the most out of their opportunities. 

The Leafs have lost in the first round each of the past three years. They missed the playoffs the three years before that. Then they lost in the first round. Then they missed the playoffs for seven years. In '04 they made the second round where they lost to... the Flyers. The year before that they lost in the first round to... the Flyers.

I'm guessing you're referrring to 2002 - which was 18 years ago.

#11Cups

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Leafs have lost in the first round each of the past three years. They missed the playoffs the three years before that. Then they lost in the first round. Then they missed the playoffs for seven years. In '04 they made the second round where they lost to... the Flyers. The year before that they lost in the first round to... the Flyers.

I'm guessing you're referrring to 2002 - which was 18 years ago.

#11Cups

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

That's my point: In the most recent three years, the Leafs were the underdog going into each of those series. Nobody thought any of those first round match-ups favored the Leafs. 

If you go all the way back to Toronto vs Philly, those teams were evenly matched. I think one year they were 4/5 in the standings. It was a coin toss of a series. 

In any event, the two most exciting teams in the NHL today are Toronto and Tampa (my opinion of course), and I wanted to see that series because it would have been the first time those two teams have ever met in the playoffs and could have made for the start of a great rivalry.  :) 

Personally, I don't like it when Toronto keeps bumping into teams from the Metro division in round one because Toronto fans really don't care about any of those teams. The point of this playoff system was to face teams in your own division first. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

55 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Since everyone seems to be coming at me lately (and my latest thread which included a three page long post researching the facts about the current situation going on down there just got deleted -- not locked -- without any explanation), I'm just going to drop the gloves and start hitting back. I don't have to take the "high road" any more and try to play nice.

I was referring specifically to the offensive firepower that both clubs have and their style of play. Tampa won the Presidents trophy a year ago and stubbed their toe in the playoffs much like the Detroit Red Wings did in the 1990's..... so the joke about Tampa is getting old. The Lightning have a Stanley Cup win a lot more recent than the Flyers do, and have been a much more successful franchise recently as well.

As for the Leafs, they never lost a first round to an opponent that they were supposed to beat. In each case they were over-matched by a superior team (elite teams like Boston and Washington), but took the series long before bowing out. Unlike the Flyers, the Leafs don't make the playoffs every year and then choke. The Leafs tend to go deep into the playoffs when they have a great team, thereby making the most out of their opportunities. 

(Snide remarks are now going to be met with snide remarks in return btw.)

My shot wasn't at you...it was at two powerhouse regular season teams who do squat in the playoffs. Yes Tampa won a cup...they beat a Flyer team in 7 games that was decimated with injury so bad that Sami Kapanen was playing defence. The same Flyer team that eliminated the Leafs that season. The same Flyer team that has also gone to the finals since then. 

I'll argue Flyer/Leaf playoff runs all you want. The Leafs may "go deep" when they have a good team...they haven't been to the finals since 67. Flyers have been there 8 times since then.

Let's not get bent out of shape over sports. We've given each other jabs before with no issue. My Trump comment in the other thread was only because you did sound like him. But I apologize.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, flyercanuck said:

Let's not get bent out of shape over sports. We've given each other jabs before with no issue. My Trump comment in the other thread was only because you did sound like him. But I apologize.

Thanks.  😊👍

I think it's just the events from the past few weeks (and months quite frankly) that have been getting to me (and probably everyone else too).  I've tried my best not to get dragged down by it.  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Oh. Well that's a relief. 

Sometimes it's hard to tell when I'm reading text if people are angry with me, the subject, the concept of whatever we're talking about, or whatever.  I wish people would use more emojis!  :) 

Being a leafs fan everyone may be angry with you..lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Thanks.  😊👍

I think it's just the events from the past few weeks (and months quite frankly) that have been getting to me (and probably everyone else too).  I've tried my best not to get dragged down by it.  

The only future bet I have is a Toronto vs St Louis final.  So that is what I want to see

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:30 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Thanks.  😊👍

The world is a very different place than it was even 5 months ago.  I hope that this Corona fades away.  Might be wishful thinking.  Of course it is.  Some look at it and have called it a punishment from God.  Who knows?  Who can say its not?   Who ever dreamed they would see the day that sports were stopped in their tracks?  Restaurants closed world wide.   All phases of life affected.  Well now that the transition has started back in the right direction, slowly, lets hope for the best.  The new events started in Minnesota do not help.  And the protests are one thing.  The looting and senseless violence are another.  I hope these sports events go off with no major problems.  Not sure about the fans?  The Miami Dolphins were the first to propose 1/4 capacity seating. Better than no fans at all IMO.  I think the NHL and NBA and MLB should try to start the same way.  

As for the playoffs, I just glanced through the matchups.  I do not see my team of course and somehow Botterill kept his job? Shocking to see the Rangers got in.  Upsets are more likely with all the craziness.  I still think the Blues are the best team and partly due to their goalie. And the layoff may have actually helped them.  The East is wide open.  Tampa and Boston would have been solid favs but maybe the layoff can help your Leafs?  The Babcock thing did not help.  I still do not understand what happened there totally.  So I will cheer for a Leafs and Blues final.  I have to cheer for the Blues, them being my 2nd favorite team.