OT: Joe Paterno near death

Guest Navyhockey

I think alot of the reason for Joe coaching so long was he saw his own mortality in Bear Bryant, who died less than a month after "retiring" from Alabama. I sadly said when they fired Joe that he'd be gone in a year, that was before they went public with the cancer.

Despite his shortcomings in the sex abuse case and what he should have done about it, he didn't deserve death. Stunning that it ends this way for Joe.

My thoughts and prayers go out to JoePa and family...When football was taken from him, he gave up his will to live. The whole episode still sickens me for the way he was personally attacked for vile acts perpetrated by Jerry Sandusky. I hope McCreary rots in hell for his role in Joe's demise too.

Guy lived to be 85. That's a pretty good run IMO. He was a legend. Too bad the legend was slightly tarnished, but it doesn't take away from what he accomplished.

I feel a LOT sadder for Sarah Burkes family. But that's closer to home for me, and this for most of you guys. RIP Joe.

My thoughts and prayers go out to JoePa and family...When football was taken from him, he gave up his will to live. The whole episode still sickens me for the way he was personally attacked for vile acts perpetrated by Jerry Sandusky. I hope McCreary rots in hell for his role in Joe's demise too.

Exactly. The man gave everything to that program, and they betrayed him in return. Broke his heart.

Guy lived to be 85. That's a pretty good run IMO. He was a legend. Too bad the legend was slightly tarnished, but it doesn't take away from what he accomplished.

I feel a LOT sadder for Sarah Burkes family. But that's closer to home for me, and this for most of you guys. RIP Joe.

Its always hard to see a light distinguished when it is shinning its brightest than when the light is already waining. Loss is loss. I think the grieving for Jo pa is more about an end of a legacy (not withstanding the whole scandal) vs. the loss of a vibrant young person (sarah). My brother was being scouted by multiple NHL teams and was moving up the draft ranks (he was 8 years older than me), when at 17 he was tragically killed.

Life is a weird place. People like Sandusky live full and prosper lives, while people like Sarah and my brothers lives are cut short.

I was a very sad day here at Penn State. This is my second semester here but I can feel the impact he had on the school here. He was way more than a football coach to all of us. I know a lot of people outside of PSU think we just worship him as a coach and defend him because he was one, but we defend him because of the great man that he was. It's sad that he had to go this way. It happened so fast. Hope Joe rests in peace.