Coots for Selke ....finally!!!!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is impressive is by how big a margin he beat out Bergeron...finally folks other than Flyer fans recognize his hard work.

I didn't realize that.

I don't think the league saw Coots as anything but a great defensive forward (hard to play against), but to be eligible for the Selke the unwritten rule is you have to be a decent offensive producer, like a top 6 guy. And it took awhile for Coots to get there. 

• Like 1

Just stopped in real quick to give a sincere congrats to Sean Couturier for his Selke win.

Honestly, with Covid and some other stuff going on, I lost track of who all would be the best candidates, in my mind anyways, for this award, but even not knowing that, I have seen enough of Couturier play and his evolution as an NHL'er to know that he deserves this recognition as much as, maybe more so, than other defensive minded forwards with offensive skill.

Some years ago, I posted on these boards somewhere the idea I would have loved for the Lightning to trade a top young prospect or two, along with a pick, to the Flyers for Couturier.
Obviously that never happened, but if it did, I wonder if the Bolts would have won a Cup by now having "Coots" lock down their 2C position, or even be an elite 3C for them, seeing as how TB regularly rolls out 3 lines with almost equal playing time.

At any rate, Flyers really do have a good one in Couturier. Appreciate him and what he does.
His contributions may not always be on the scoresheet, but I think he really does help hold his team's structure together.

Well deserved trophy win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2