Old time Flyers would never allow their skilled guy to take a beating

Guest RonJeremy

Briere was obviously targeted by the Devils, he took a bunch of shots today some clean, some dirty. The bottom line is , you dont allow another team to run your smaller guys. Even if the hits are clean, you have to make someone pay the price. Where was our enforcer Shelley, we need to toughen up this team. We really need an enforcer who can actually play some minutes and let the other team know they cant get away with running our players. A guy like shelley who plays 3 minutes a game is not out there enough to get any payback. All i know is the old time flyers would never have allowed Clarke to take the beating that Briere took today. Volchenkov should have been hammered and Elias should have been layed out

Whats better , a 2 minute instigator penalty , or having one of your top guys out with a concussion? Im not saying , to deliberately injure a guy, but , a few hard hits to their players or a good beating with 1 minute left and a 3-1 lead would have been good.

Whats better , a 2 minute instigator penalty , or having one of your top guys out with a concussion? Im not saying , to deliberately injure a guy, but , a few hard hits to their players or a good beating with 1 minute left and a 3-1 lead would have been good.

An instigator penalty in the last 5min of the game results in a game suspension. A few hard hits to their players for the most part is a team effort, not some specificlly irrelevant enforcer.

Briere was obviously targeted by the Devils, he took a bunch of shots today some clean, some dirty. The bottom line is , you dont allow another team to run your smaller guys. Even if the hits are clean, you have to make someone pay the price. Where was our enforcer Shelley, we need to toughen up this team. We really need an enforcer who can actually play some minutes and let the other team know they cant get away with running our players. A guy like shelley who plays 3 minutes a game is not out there enough to get any payback. All i know is the old time flyers would never have allowed Clarke to take the beating that Briere took today. Volchenkov should have been hammered and Elias should have been layed out

This is the kind of thing I seldom endorse but in this case, I agree. They knocked the piss out of h Briere all afternoon and eventually put him on the IR with a headshot. I think the message should have been after the knock down from behind by Fayne.

Edited by terp

I agree, Vol needed a beat down. Lavy armed up the roster, and didn't use Rinaldo or Shelly enough. You're right, we SHOULD have given them a taste of their own medicine (worst case, once we were up two)...consequences be damned. I vote targetting the Larsson until he crumbles. Dump the puck in and smash merceliously.

Side mini-rant: NJ shouldn't have even had that pick, since they "lost" one first round pick for the Kovalchuk cap circumvention issue. But, that idiot Bettman said NJ could pick which year they lose a draft pick. Garbage.

"Little Danny" get pounded every game. He gets no help from the Guys or the refs,when he retaliates himself he gets a penalty. Homer's main claim to fame was enforcer,he typically played a regular shift and was available to people like Briere. Somewhere between the Keith Allen and Freddie Shero era to now "The Broad st.Bully" theme seems to have faded into oblivion.The Flyers are viewed as chumps,yesterday game was a great example.Intimidation sells tickets,wins games,gains respect! This is not Europe!

Right, but this is the O&B. We do not get calls based on benefit of doubt. Lavy has worked very hard reducing the number of penalties this team takes. If the Flyers goon in up even a little again, they will get the book thrown at them. Remember the season with Boulerice and Downie 20+ suspensions? Was it fair in terms of league-wide punishment for similar actions? f**k no. The NHL threatened the Flyers with draft pick forfeitures if the kept it up. Hell, Randy Jones was suspended six for a hit I'm still on the fence about.

And if my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle.

Here's the thing about the good old days fellas...they weren't.

Yesterday was a game that should've had more pims from us, for sure. But I'll bet dollars to donuts 48's concussion was a result of that volchenkov hit and how precisely does gooning it up stop that play?.

Elias is a punk who's never answered for the crap he pulls. How does gooning it up change that.?

Plus Rinaldo was not seeing ice time from the time I tuned in mid way thru the second.

Shelly was seeing pp time at the end I'm sure to pad his gaudy stats...

Sucks that 48 got hurt, but I don't see where sending out shultzy and Kelly changes that.

And if my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle.

How is your uncle? LOL

Plus Rinaldo was not seeing ice time from the time I tuned in mid way thru the second.

Rinaldo was injured...not benched.

Shelly was seeing pp time at the end I'm sure to pad his gaudy stats...

I doubt that's the reason. The score was 4-1 late in the 3rd. Why would you put out your #1 or #2 PP? It's more of a classy move by the coach to throw Shelley out there and not run up the score.

I think something needed to be done as well. Team toughness is what you want to promote, especially in these situations. Most of the posts I read here seem to be the voice of reason that you can't just go out and seek retribution for hits like that. Sure, that's cool, but who said that you have to have a guy go screaming towards the player in question waving a flag that reads "I'm coming for you for what you did to Danny!" Of course that kind of approach will get you time in the box, put the team down a man and leave the game open for a come back. But why can't everyone on the team see those plays and take it upon themselves to make sure they start laying into guys, and maybe start targeting the softer players or guys who can score. Maybe that guy didn't deserve it but hey, your teammate roughed up our guy so guess what, you're gonna get the business. Keep it clean and keep it between the whistles... just keep it frequent and extra tough. There are ways to send messages to the other team without being a blatant jackass about it.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

All my aunts and uncles are fine thanks :D

I know Rinaldo was injured, the point being, he was already not available to help "regulate" .

My opinion on Shelley seeing PP time was Lavy's intent was two fold: point one being... to not run the score, point two having him out there in case things got nasty which they can do even with the instigator suspension rule.