Nameless in Seattle: Decision Making by Committee

Puck_Pun

Hot off the presses: Seattle still have no idea what to call their team. That much is obvious, however things are worse than they initially seem. In this article they talk about how they're still at the trademarking stage- going through the efforts of registering several different trademarks and dealing with multiple issues associated with each, most likely other teams holding that particular name somewhere and having a national/global trademark on that name. Here's the key sentence-

The team has begun initial design work on logos and uniforms for a variety of potential names

Initial work? Not just that, but on several names? There was a point when they were promising a name/logo unveiling during last year's all stars weekend, however it seems that then- as is now- they were nowhere near coming to an actual decision. Their indecision makes a certain amount of sense, when fans were polled, the results were so absurdly mixed that no conclusion could possibly be reached from the data. It certainly seems that there's a paralysing indecision caused by the team being run by a consortium of three people and the inevitable disagreements that occur from there. Plus there seems to be a hangover form the loss of the Sonics, it seems like there's a real fear Seattle NHL will end up being like them.

So of course we're at where we are now- complete indecision.

• Like 1

I'm tellin ya...

All they need to do is CALL ME....and I have the entire thing with names, uniforms, even entrance themes and goal horns all worked out for them! :lol:

Seattle Kraken....have a green n tan motif with a hint of gold on the uniforms.....
Tridents a-plenty....

Have the players enter the arena beneath a giant squid-like creature (ala the San Jose Sharks), as Liam Neeson says over the PA "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"

Goal horn can be somewhat muffled but eerie foghorn followed by a crash of waves and splintering of wood (to simulate a kraken attack on an old sailor's ship), followed by some deep bass music that will pump up the home goal scorers....and irritate the opposition (though I admit, topping Chicago's goal music and Nashville's "you suck" theme will be difficult in terms of pure annoyance)....

See that? I slapped that together in just a few minutes.
Not sure what kind of screwing around is happening over in Seattle, but they need to get their tentacles out of their rear beak holes and come up with a name and aesthetics while the REAL issues of Covid and all the impact that is still having, are still being dealt with...  :) 

• Haha 1

The Seattle Nameless is a cool name.

I'm wondering what will be the overall bill, just to end up with a name and color scheme considering the meetings, brainstorming sessions, video-conferences, legal paperwork, etc.

Let's do some predictions on that:

Name:

1. Metropolitans

2. Sea Lions

3. Firebirds

Color scheme:

Red/Black/silver

I don't think they will go with Blue/Green (too close to the Canucks) and the usual red/blue/white (lame and boring)

Edited by Villette/Lavaux

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Seattle Kraken....have a green n tan motif with a hint of gold on the uniforms.....
Tridents a-plenty....

They'll probably steer clear of green because they want a rivalry with Vancouver

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

The Seattle Nameless is a cool name.

I'm wondering what will be the overall bill, just to end up with a name and color scheme considering the meetings, brainstorming sessions, video-conferences, legal paperwork, etc.

An outrageous amount I'd imagine. The consultants would charge what, $200 an hour each? 

On 6/18/2020 at 11:48 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

1. Metropolitans

I would love it but I don't think they will.

I hear some ideas like Seattle Kraken... gross!

They could call it Seattle Chiefs and use Chief Seattle as a logo like in the flag plus teal jerseys.

Would be hard to name the Metropolitans since there is a division in the NHL called the Metropolitan Division....

unless you are going to put the Metropolitans in the Metropolitan Division....

Yeah makes sense but I think the main problem may be the league/the owners want an "brand new identity" to the franchise. Seattle and the old Metropolitans are not like Winnipeg and the old Jets, that were still alive in fans memories.

10 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Would be hard to name the Metropolitans since there is a division in the NHL called the Metropolitan Division....

unless you are going to put the Metropolitans in the Metropolitan Division....

You went quicker than me... So let's put Metropolitan in the trashbin. Unless you move Seattle in the east, but that would require cutting the city in pieces, transporting buildings, parks and the whole infrastructures by huge planes or helicopters (or throw the pieces in eventual tropical storm that would eventually disseminate the parts across in the east, Sharknado style... but then you have to put it alltogether). And that means making the same thing with an eastern city in the former Seattle location. Well, no. Logistics seem to difficult and complicated.

For the colors, why not purple? That would make them unique in the league. Or maybe they can still go with apple green and blue, as the Sounders and Seahawks to have the same colors as other sports teams in the city, like in Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:14 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

Unless you move Seattle in the east, but that would require cutting the city in pieces, transporting buildings, parks and the whole infrastructures by huge planes or helicopters (or throw the pieces in eventual tropical storm that would eventually disseminate the parts across in the east, Sharknado style... but then you have to put it alltogether). And that means making the same thing with an eastern city in the former Seattle location. Well, no. Logistics seem to difficult and complicated.

lol  :bigteeth:

On 6/23/2020 at 10:14 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

For the colors, why not purple?

Pink, purple, and brown are the "forbidden colors" in pro sports. 

The last team I can remember that wore purple was the LA Kings.... and that lasted for about one season with fans and players complaining endlessly.

The last team to wear pink is NOBODY and the last team to wear brown is the Bruins with their hugely unpopular third jerseys. 

Out of the sports that I watch (hockey and baseball), the Padres were the ONLY franchise to wear brown on any kind of semi-regular basis and not since the late 1980's or early 1990's. Since then they went back to dark blue to look like every other franchise in baseball. The Colorado Rockies had purple since their inception, but good luck finding it on the uniforms which are 99.9% black with only a glimmer of purple in them.  :)

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Pink, purple, and brown are the "forbidden colors" in pro sports. 

The last team I can remember that wore purple was the LA Kings.... and that lasted for about one season with fans and players complaining endlessly.

The last team to wear pink is NOBODY and the last team to wear brown is the Bruins with their hugely unpopular third jerseys. 

Out of the sports that I watch (hockey and baseball), the Padres were the ONLY franchise to wear brown on any kind of semi-regular basis and not since the late 1980's or early 1990's. Since then they went back to dark blue to look like every other franchise in baseball. The Colorado Rockies had purple since their inception, but good luck finding it on the uniforms which are 99.9% black with only a glimmer of purple in them.  :)

Well, the Lakers wear purple.

And if you count the minor leagues too, the Hershey Bears wear brown.

No team name but we have a name for the arena. 

Climate Pledge Arena. 

Apparently it's being sponsored by Bezos in what I assume is a tax dodge and the name is because it is going to be carbon neutral

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I actually liked the bruins 3rd jersey, but I wished the bear could have looked a little more "bruin" like, instead of a pooh bear pu**y.

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 12:52 AM, extra skater said:

I like purple, it works for fremantle

FD18JSY01M_Fremantle-Dockers-2018-Mens-Home-Guernsey_1__955376395.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:22 AM, extra skater said:

The Lakers seem to be the one team that can wear purple and people love it. For whatever reason, no team in the NHL ever has purple without being criticized, shamed, etc... The LA Kings had the same colors as the Lakers once upon a time but haven't worn purple and yellow for decades. They tried to bring back the purple (which I thought looked nice) and it died a quick death. 

:) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

On 6/26/2020 at 10:47 PM, Puck_Pun said:

I like purple, it works for fremantle

Oh, now I get your avatar!
(I swear to God I only saw your location after seeing the jersey and then the avatar)

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Lakers seem to be the one team that can wear purple and people love it. For whatever reason, no team in the NHL ever has purple without being criticized, shamed, etc... The LA Kings had the same colors as the Lakers once upon a time but haven't worn purple and yellow for decades. They tried to bring back the purple (which I thought looked nice) and it died a quick death. 

:) 

My Ducks wore a... shade of purple? Once. And people loved it too. But, well, it didn't match the team's best phase, runner-up campaign apart. Nor did Kings' purple, despite the Miracle on Manchester.

But the Ducks had a good reason for that purple jersey.

To me, the best jersey in NHL's history will always be Whalers', so, if Seattle wish to keep the same colors of Sounders and Seahawks, they could do it in the same shades Hartford did!

11 hours ago, extra skater said:

To me, the best jersey in NHL's history will always be Whalers', so, if Seattle wish to keep the same colors of Sounders and Seahawks, they could do it in the same shades Hartford did!

Yeah they look alright. They were different from the other teams and that helps too.  :) 

Screw my previous guesses: with the Arena naming and colors, They should have some lime green and maybe Navy blue (yes, like Whalers' uniform before the move)

About purple, you forgot the :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:Purple is quite unpopular and polarizing: either you love it, with a significant risk for an overall hate. The Cleveland Browns also have some brown but I don't think we can rely the Browns with sport.

NHL Best uniform ever: North Stars green 1991 (when black trim was added, totally objective of course !), but Whalers' comes right in second place.

I would try to incorporate a nod to the "first nation" tribes in the area.

There is a lot of native American art that comes from region. The Seahawks honor this with the trim of their uniforms. 

The name of the team can honor those folks or the legendary creatures that are a part of the "lore" of the region.

The Cyclones

The Thunderbirds

The Spirit

I don't mind the Kraken but since there is now a rum brand with the same name that feels cheap.

11 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Screw my previous guesses: with the Arena naming and colors, They should have some lime green and maybe Navy blue (yes, like Whalers' uniform before the move)

I think they'll just pick whatever the most popular color(s) are at the time and then completely change it ~5 years from now. So that means their colors will be gold, yellow, black, and maybe some red in there.  

About purple, you forgot the :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Who is "you"?  :) 

The Cleveland Browns also have some brown but I don't think we can rely the Browns with sport.

I did a quick search for Cleveland "Browns"..... and they wear orange. Sorry, doesn't count as brown.  :) 

The San Diego Padres (from the 1980's), Boston Bruins (from the 1920's), and Cleveland Browns (from the 1940's)  are the only sports teams in history to wear brown as a primary color on their primary (every day) uniform:

nl_1980_sandiego.gif.a9c6eb7ef81cf6be99ab707fb2f9fe6a.gif

nl_1985_sandiego.gif.c39bc2131d5753b9dc5a32299ce21107.gif

NHL Best uniform ever: North Stars green 1991

If you mean the 1991-1993 uniforms then yes those are really nice uniforms.  :) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The San Diego Padres (from the 1980's)

🤔🤨🤢🤮🤧

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If you mean the 1991-1993 uniforms then yes those are really nice uniforms

The previous ones:

image.png.aeab18286725638261a5f262583f726c.png

With the green helmets and black pants with the yellow stars on the sides, that was just pure beauty.

(Though I liked the post Cinderella Run redesign. Plain and simple, but nice.)

Edited by Villette/Lavaux

8 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

The previous ones:

image.png.aeab18286725638261a5f262583f726c.png

With the green helmets and black pants with the yellow stars on the sides, that was just pure beauty.

They're pretty good. Very dark blue (a little bit anyway) goes nicely with green. The yellow (again, in small amounts) goes nicely with the green. That color scheme definitely works.  Thumbs up.  :)