Matthew's has the Co-Vid

jammer2

No official comment from the Leafs yet. Of course his health is the important thing here, but you can bet the Leafs and their fans are wondering about recovery time with training camp scheduled for July 10. 

@jammer2

Again I digress ...why the hell are we rushing to get this season restarted???????  Makes absolutely no sense. (yes I understand in lost revenue)  This season is a wash.  No sense in rushing back.  Buttman is a tool........

I wish Matthews a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@jammer2

Again I digress ...why the hell are we rushing to get this season restarted???????  Makes absolutely no sense. (yes I understand in lost revenue)  This season is a wash.  No sense in rushing back.  Buttman is a tool........

I wish Matthews a speedy recovery.

On the surface, it looked foolish. Would love to see hockey, but not at the expense of a player dying. I agree, call it a day. Maybe if the numbers decreased...but the numbers coming out of half the States are truly alarming. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He probably got it from that mustache.

No doubt. What other filthy viruses is that thing concealing?

It also just occurred to me, and I hate to say this, but applying @WordsOfWisdom's "method" for projecting stats, I expect Mathews to be dead by next weekend. :zorro:

• Uggh... 1

17 hours ago, jammer2 said:

On the surface, it looked foolish. Would love to see hockey, but not at the expense of a player dying. I agree, call it a day. Maybe if the numbers decreased...but the numbers coming out of half the States are truly alarming. 

Buttturd is a useless little trump wannabe. 120,000 americans have died from covid19.  Perhaps if HE gets covid19 he will finally get the gist of the risk he is taking. There is absolutely no reason to play hockey this year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Podein25 said:

No doubt. What other filthy viruses is that thing concealing?

It also just occurred to me, and I hate to say this, but applying @WordsOfWisdom's "method" for projecting stats, I expect Mathews to be dead by next weekend. :zorro:

:notfair:

From what I understand (still not a doctor) :angel: @pilldoc  COVID-19 causes permanent lung damage. It basically makes holes in your lungs and I don't know if that ever fully heals. There's a legitimate question about what effect this virus could have on Matthews life and future NHL career. Maybe he comes out of this being only 90% of what he was before. :( 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

From what I understand (still not a doctor) :angel: @pilldoc  COVID-19 causes permanent lung damage. It basically makes holes in your lungs and I don't know if that ever fully heals. There's a legitimate question about what effect this virus could have on Matthews life and future NHL career. Maybe he comes out of this being only 90% of what he was before. :( 

In answer to your question .....

It's hard to say exactly, because the coronavirus is still so new that scientists don't know much about long-term effects. The best evidence comes from patients themselves, and some experience a variety of symptoms long after their infections have cleared.

Most people recover within a few weeks. For people who experience longer-term effects, the most common issues are bouts of exhaustion, headaches, anxiety and muscle aches that can last for at least several more weeks. Patients who required intensive care, including those put on ventilators or kidney dialysis, can experience more serious issues.

Lung scarring can occur in people who developed pneumonia. Heart inflammation, irregular heartbeats, and worsening kidney and liver function have been reported as well. However, it's too soon to know if those could be permanent problems.

Really it depends on the severity of the disease the person had. The more critical ill a person was, the greater the chance of of more significant long term problems.  There are no hard concrete answers.

I did a journal search and there are no hard definite answers.  Any article your read that states differently, then I would question the article.

If Matthews had a mild form of COVID-19 then given rest and time he should be OK but that is only a guess.  His doctors would know better.

You cannot assume the worse.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

That and you can usually take comfort in the fact that no matter how bad the Flyers are, the Leafs are usually still worse.

:beer:

What do you think has sustained me for all these years?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:45 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Or he suffers no symptoms and is Asymptomatic. 23 members of the Clemson football tested positive--most showed no symptoms(once again, Asymptomatic) and a few had mild symptoms--none of the 23 were hospitalized.

• Like 1

"viral load" is a term I hear frequently.

minimal exposure to the virus leads to better outcomes in most cases. The fewer cells get in, the better the body's antibodies can deal with it.

This is why wearing a mask is effective in curbing the virus' spread and lethality. 

The NHL could develop a helmet with a filtration system built in, would the players use it? it would be really weird seeing hockey players looking like star wars characters, but this is a thing that can happen that would make return to play safer for the players. 

Also  I think the two hub cities should be in Canada where there is an actual health system working the problem with the support of it's governmental leaders. 

• Like 3