The Big Day

SpikeDDS

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@SpikeDDS

4th. Damn. Absolutely hate the lottery system.

I'm calling it now...either the Devils or Pens win the lottery.  The system is rigged. Has been for years.  Agree with your sentiment.  Sorry the Wings got 4th. :(

• Like 1

ok correction ...Devils cannot win lottery ......

No. 8 Buffalo Sabres
No. 7 New Jersey Devils
No. 6 Anaheim Ducks
No. 5 Ottawa Senators
No. 4 Detroit Red Wings
No. 3 Ottawa Senators
No. 2 Los Angeles Kings
No. 1 Placeholder team to be determined  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pilldoc said:

No. 2 Los Angeles Kings

Well the last 4 years of suckage has built them a nice young core going forward.

Vilardi, Kupari, Turcotte and now i would imagine Byfield to go with it will they ever start to turn this around with Blake at the helm?

I guess it will give Hextall a nice solid base to take over with once Blake gets canned next year i would imagine and Ron takes over.

• Like 2

@SpikeDDS

So a night to think/curse about it, here are the likely candidates with the 4th pick.

TIM STUTZIE Three different places i saw him listed as the next Leon Draisatl. He could get snagged by either Ottawa or the Kings but would be a tremendous add.

QUINTON BYFIELD Like Stutzle he will likely go in the top 3 as well but a tremendous offensive upside if he slips to the Wings at 4 it would be a tremendous add. I am torn between the two of them and would likely go Stutzle first  but if either slips to us we have to snag them up.

AND THEN.......

Lots of forwards all toss a dart and hope it sticks kind of players, but if both of the above are off the board i am going Jamie Drysdale, a bit undersized but fast as lightning, i have seen him compared to Hughes in Vancouver or even Makar in Colorado, if so he would fix our biggest weakness, a puck moving power play minute eating blueliner. Drysdale, Seider, Hronek and Cholowski (who i am not ready to give up on yet) would give us a top four of solid young kids on the back end to envy.

• Like 1

Or a real gutsy pick would be Yaro Askorov, the lighting fast russian goalie prospect out of russia who is considered the best goalie prospect in years. He keeps getting compared to Andrey Vasilevskiy who Yzerman took in the first round for the Lightning so he has a history of not being afraid to go goalie in the first round.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Or a real gutsy pick would be Yaro Askorov, the lighting fast russian goalie prospect out of russia who is considered the best goalie prospect in years. He keeps getting compared to Andrey Vasilevskiy who Yzerman took in the first round for the Lightning so he has a history of not being afraid to go goalie in the first round.

That would be a nice addition...dont sleep on Rossi though.

• Like 2

It's either Rossi, Drysdale, or Askorov if you ask me.

I'm with you on Drysdale as my first choice, if for no other reason because our depth at the blue line is pretty thin. He would be a lovely addition to the PP units. I think that a good bit of our offensive problem is our inability to get the puck out of our own zone. We need more talent to be able to activate what talent we have up front. 

I like the Askorov idea also. We need SERIOUS help in net.

Rossi should be considered. I didn't see you mention him. If we are adding up front, he'd probably be my guy.

And you know how I roll, @yave1964, with regard to expectations. We are picking EXACTLY where I expected us to pick.

P.S. ain't no way we are getting Stutzle or Byfield. If either somehow do not get picked, we pick them, but I think our chances of that are far worse than our chances were for getting the first pick of the draft.

Expectations. Keep them low so disappointment is at a minimum. That's how Stevie seemed to play it at the post-lottery PC. He must have read my text to him. 😉

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 7:43 PM, yave1964 said:

Great prospect...but there's no way I'm taking a goalie 4th overall in a quality draft like this.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Great prospect...but there's no way I'm taking a goalie 4th overall in a quality draft like this.

I kinda see the draft class as a big three and then a crap shoot. Agreed, i probably wouldnt go goalie at 4 either but Yzerman went Seider in the first last year about ten picks before most people thought he would go, he took Vasilevskiy in the first with Tampa about ten spots before a lot of folks thought he would go. Yzerman is known for his diligence and being unafraid of picking who he feels is the best organizational pick and running with it. The Wings netminding is a mess, Howard is mercifully gone, Bernier is not the answer and there is a scorched earth within the organization in net. I doubt it happens but i could see Yzerman doing it.

To me the picks at four, provided the top three are already gone are 1)Drysdale, 2)Askorov and 3) Rossi. Completely happy with any of the three falling into our lap.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I kinda see the draft class as a big three and then a crap shoot. Agreed, i probably wouldnt go goalie at 4 either but Yzerman went Seider in the first last year about ten picks before most people thought he would go, he took Vasilevskiy in the first with Tampa about ten spots before a lot of folks thought he would go. Yzerman is known for his diligence and being unafraid of picking who he feels is the best organizational pick and running with it. The Wings netminding is a mess, Howard is mercifully gone, Bernier is not the answer and there is a scorched earth within the organization in net. I doubt it happens but i could see Yzerman doing it.

To me the picks at four, provided the top three are already gone are 1)Drysdale, 2)Askorov and 3) Rossi. Completely happy with any of the three falling into our lap.

Perfetti wouldn't be a bad choice either.

• Like 1