Why the NHL Draft Lottery Results Might Have Some Wild Fans Wanting to Embrace the Tank

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Fans Might Be Wanting to Tank after last night's NHL Draft Lottery results

I know I wasn't the only one thinking an quick exit might not be the worst thing for the Minnesota Wild considering what might be available...enjoy and discuss.  

Actually @CreaseAndAssist this whole NHL draft lottery disgusts me.  How can in good conscious can the NHL reward a team in the playoffs (no matter how convoluted they are this year) the number #1 overall pick based on a random drawing and not due to a trade.  IF I'm the Wild or any other struggling team in the supposed playoffs who have no real shot winning the cup, not think about not giving it my all in the best of 5 play in series.   Why not.  The wild would have an equal opportunity in getting that #1 pick.

I'm sorry that this COVID crisis destroyed this season, but it is asinine to play out this charade. The season should have been ended.  The two teams that really got screwed are the Sens and Red Wings.

So yeah in an effort to get a at either elite scoring winger Alexis Lafreniere or a big top-line calibre center Quinton Byfield, I say why not....I know many of the Wild fans have not been happy with your season.

Of course this goes against players who want to win, they will never seriously think about tanking, but it does make for a compelling argument and great discuss on who ultimately claims the top prize of AL.

• Like 1

@CreaseAndAssist @pilldoc

The lottery at it is is asinine! I have been saying it for years. And if there was a lottery that illustrates what I have been saying all along, it is this one!

It is wrong that the worst team only has an 18.5% chance at the first pick. I agree that it should NOT be a coin flip. We don't want tanking to give a team too reasonable a shot at it, because tanking sucks. I get that. But less than a one-in-five chance at it? No. That's wrong.

And the possibility that the worst team, if they don't win ends up picking 4th? That's wrong too! Rarely has there been a year with two prospects who are BOTH considered generational players. The whole idea is to make getting that generational player that comes along every so often NOT guaranteed to the worst team, so that they are discouraged from tanking. But it shouldn't relegate them that far down if they miss the pick. They should still get a very good player. IMHO, picking 3rd for the worst team makes more sense for the game.

And that the worst team has almost a coin flip chance of picking 4th? That's just wrong too.

And the possibility of a decent team losing in the qualifier round and then getting Frenchie is wrong too. It could be Edmonton! And they've had more 1st and 2nd picks that any other team in the past decade or so! 

NONE of this is right! None of it!

TBH, as a Red Wing fan, I can't be happy with this result AT ALL. But I will say this: I expected to be picking 4th. I had a coin flip chance of picking there, and so I didn't set myself up to think that we would be picking higher. I had already assumed we were going to get screwed, and we did! So disappointment is minimal for me. But my argument for change just leveled up 5 levels.

It's time for hockey to correct this.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Good Post 1

(shrugs)  Its a lottery.  Ottawa had the best odds of anyone and did about as bad as they could possibly do.  Detroit has to feel burned, but the lottery isn't about setting things up to give it to the most deserving team.  Its a lottery with the hope to thwart tanking.  However, as far as this Wild fan is concerned it gives the team a chance to do what it should've done all along and that is tank.  Its a rare opportunity indeed.  

But as far as the draft normally goes.  Winnipeg got a great draft after making the playoffs, same with Colorado; and they did it by being savvy with their drafting and the teams that dealt those picks to them had miserable seasons which gave clubs that were already pretty good another blue chip player.  That happens.  

By what I've heard...Lafreniere is the only maybe generational talent and even that's a maybe.  Byfield isn't, but he's going to probably be a good player.  But overall this draft is fairly deep with forwards and if you need help up front this was the year to try stock up on some picks.  Its pretty sparse with big defenseman and even the top defenseman available are players that have incomplete games.  

I don't care.  The Wild have never had a superstar and while losing doesn't guarantee Minnesota will get that pick I'm game for taking that chance.  People can complain all the want.  We were outside of the playoff window; so its not like we're a President's trophy team possibly has a chance at the 1st Overall pick.  Its not like we're Edmonton and getting 1st Overall year after year.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many more reasons for this wild team to lose this series than there are to win. 
Better draft all the way through if they win the lottery. 
Better positioning going into next year. Whoever lasts longest in the playoffs will have a short turnaround for next year. 
A chance to come into next year completely fresh, a whole new look. 
This is a chance to tank without a real “disaster of a season tank“. 
lose 3 games tank, not like the red wings tank. 

• Like 1