Worst organization in Hockey (poll)

yave1964

Which is the worst organization in Hockey today?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Worst organization in the NHL

• Red Wings
    • Senators
    • Sabres
    • Devils
    • Kings

Out of sheer boredom, which organization is the worst in the NHL today?

I dont mean just based off record but based off recent trades, drafting, free agents signed and lost, cap management, the whole enchilada. Hopefully one to make you think before answering.

I would have said the Senators hands down last year with the mismanaged first rounder that they gave away to Colorado, but the Sens have a depth of talent everywhere but in net and a ton of picks over the next few years.Still one of the worst owners in the game but the team seems to be ready for an uptick.

Detroit is an easy pick but i didnt choose them, maybe i am too close to the situation but again like the Sens lots of picks some solid prospects, Yzerman running the show, they have hit rock bottom but there are signs that it is going to turn around,

To me it has to be the Devils, a horrible trade for Subban, a salary cap anchor in Schneider in net, not a lot of real prospects after over a decade of poor drafting, bad stop gap free agent signings. IMHO the worst organization in all of the game is in New Jersey. 

If the vote was for most toxic owner, I would create an alternate account and vote twice for the Senators, but since it's just for the worst organization in the NHL, I agree that it's the Devils. I have faith in Yzerman's ability to rebuild his team, and while Tom Fitzgerald's been an Assistant GM for a long time, he's still a rookie in the main job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I would have said the Senators hands down last year with the mismanaged first rounder that they gave away to Colorado, but the Sens have a depth of talent everywhere but in net and a ton of picks over the next few years.Still one of the worst owners in the game but the team seems to be ready for an uptick.

Detroit is an easy pick but i didnt choose them, maybe i am too close to the situation but again like the Sens lots of picks some solid prospects, Yzerman running the show, they have hit rock bottom but there are signs that it is going to turn around,

To me it has to be the Devils, a horrible trade for Subban, a salary cap anchor in Schneider in net, not a lot of real prospects after over a decade of poor drafting, bad stop gap free agent signings. IMHO the worst organization in all of the game is in New Jersey. 

Could this be the reason Wayne Gretzky called them a "Mickey Mouse" organization? I too sometime think do the Devil's management know what they're doing? 

I'm surprised that the Wings fell so far down in the standings. I think (hope) Steve Yzerman will play his cards correctly! I still would like to see a Pens Wings ECF match up.

I also question the Buffalo Sabres. Like the Wings I always enjoyed watching them play the Pens. I loved interacting with their fans when they came to Pittsburgh.

I don't think ownership has any idea where they want to go! I'm not sure if they know what kind of team they want?

Los Angeles it seems like the have this win now attitude. Which will hurt them long term. It took Wayne Gretzky to revise the team in the late 80s. I'm not sure if they could pull that off again. I think proper drafting will help if management could take losing a few more years.

17 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

We don't get to vote for the Florida Panthers?   :( 

They've been mostly good since 2015. They don't have any fans, but they're far from belong in this discussion.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

They've been mostly good since 2015. They don't have any fans, but they're far from belong in this discussion.

I didnt consider the Panthers but other organizations who i thought of listing were, in no particular order:

The Canadiens. Adrift in mediocrity knowing the rabid fan base would always stick by them

The Wild. With no offense meant to the rabid fan base in here, this is an organization in trouble

And lastly, the Sharks, too many long term contracts for old and slow players and bad goaltenders. 

Tricky question. Last year I would have voted the Sens by far but with their 4,459,745 picks and prospects, they can't fall lower and reach the Earth's nucleus. Aside this, Melnyk remains the worst owner.

IMO Yzerman will build something decent in Detroit, he proved that in Tampa. So I would probably vote for the Devils: I don't see anything positive in this organisation.

I still put my joker for Montréal. Having Timmins still in place is beyond any logic, but Bergevin's Pacioretty and Galchenyuk trades saved his ass. When players prefer to go the Hurricanes rather than Montréal, it stings.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 4:18 PM, yave1964 said:

Out of sheer boredom, which organization is the worst in the NHL today?

Given the overwhelmingly successful recent history of Detroit, LA, and New Jersey, I'd say it comes down to Buffalo or Ottawa.

EDIT: If we're sticking to the list.

Realistically, the worst organizations in the NHL are the Panthers, Coyotes, Hurricanes, etc.... 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Given the overwhelmingly successful recent history of Detroit, LA, and New Jersey, I'd say it comes down to Buffalo or Ottawa.

EDIT: If we're sticking to the list.

Realistically, the worst organizations in the NHL are the Panthers, Coyotes, Hurricanes, etc.... 

I believe that once the Coyotes receive the stadium they want, the team will become relivent. I can't figure out the Panthers. After the 1995 season this organization seemed to rot away to almost nothing. Could it be the location of the stadium the reason they can't draw at the gate? 

I still think the Keys should have stayed in Atlanta. Ownership would have put a decent team on the ice they would have drawn a larger crowd

7 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I believe that once the Coyotes receive the stadium they want, the team will become relivent. I can't figure out the Panthers. After the 1995 season this organization seemed to rot away to almost nothing. Could it be the location of the stadium the reason they can't draw at the gate? 

I still think the Keys should have stayed in Atlanta. Ownership would have put a decent team on the ice they would have drawn a larger crowd

It's not a hockey culture down there. Nobody plays hockey in Florida. The majority of the fans that the Panthers and Lightning draw are retired Canadian snowbirds (who are typically Leafs fans) spending their winters down south. Whenever the Leafs come to town you can see all the Leafs jerseys come out and hear all the "Go Leafs Go" chants overpowering the home fans.  :) 

On 7/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's not a hockey culture down there. Nobody plays hockey in Florida. The majority of the fans that the Panthers and Lightning draw are retired Canadian snowbirds (who are typically Leafs fans) spending their winters down south. Whenever the Leafs come to town you can see all the Leafs jerseys come out and hear all the "Go Leafs Go" chants overpowering the home fans.  :) 

I'm wondering if the owners of the Panthers are using the team as a tax write-off? Eddie Debartillo (sic)did that with the Pens in the 1980s.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I'm wondering if the owners of the Panthers are using the team as a tax write-off? Eddie Debartillo (sic)did that with the Pens in the 1980s.

Actually Florida has a lot going for them

HOFer as a coach

TONS of skilled forwards with massive upside

BOBrovsky in net.

Money spent aggressively in recent years,  the team is on a legit upswing.

• 3 weeks later...