NHL Targeting Dec 1st to start 2020-21 Season

pilldoc

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29431331/nhl-targeting-dec-1-start-2020-21-season

As I said before ...they should have just cancelled the 2019-20 season and try to start the 20-21 season on time.  I feel they are trying to cram too much too soon after completing the "revised 2019-20" schedule.  

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

It doesn't work like that.  I agree with you on cancelling the 2019-20 season.  The league has wasted lots of time, and is going to spend a fortune to force the playoffs to happen for very little benefit to the the league or the game itself IMO.  And as the risk appears to be increasing; especially for players living in the U.S. (even if the games are going to be played in Canada) the whole thing seems pointless.  

However, back to my original point.  IMO, the 2020-21 season can start whenever.  If that means it starts on January 1st, 2021, so be it.  But here's my addition...they should not be fearful of pro-rating the season.  So if it cuts that deep, then maybe you only play half a regular season and then have the playoffs as you normally would.  

I see people talking about the possibility of pushing back the college football season to the spring.  If that happens, what do you think is going to get prime air time; the NHL or college football?  Even regional networks would face a lot of pressure to aire football over hockey because it draws much better ratings and generates more ad revenue.  

If we didn't have a Stanley Cup winner in 2019-20 it wouldn't be that big of a deal.  Sports are full of 'what if's' but if one player, coach, trainer dies during this whole thing...it was probably was preventable by not having this at all.  I feel like its been rushed and even after seeing a pretty good summary of their 47-page precautions list it still seems like there are some glaring holes and potential for disaster.  

The NHL shouldn't worry about starting the 2020-21 season 'on time' they should worry more about starting the 2020-21 season with the most comprehensive and well thought out plan possible.  Of course it would help if America would get its act together and not be so problematic in hosting games here as a hub city.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

However, back to my original point.  IMO, the 2020-21 season can start whenever.  If that means it starts on January 1st, 2021, so be it.  But here's my addition...they should not be fearful of pro-rating the season.  So if it cuts that deep, then maybe you only play half a regular season and then have the playoffs as you normally would

Totally agree ... "IF" they must start late, then yes...play only 40-50 games (like they did during the lock out season) and start the playoffs at is normal time in April so that spring/fall of 2021 is a normal off season.