Scouting improves?

lynxrattle

Michael Russo had a good article about Brackett over at the Athletic, where it showed that he did extremely well choosing from NCAA players in later rounds. Sounds like a really strong hire by the Wild.

The way Brackett left Vancouver has me a bit concerned.  It sounds like he wanted complete autonomy to draft who he wanted in Vancouver and the Canucks GM Jim Benning said no...so they decided to part ways.  He may have a decent track record as a talent evaluator but I can't see Bill Guerin just giving Brackett that autonomy here.  The team certainly is re-shaping its scouting department as it should because we've seen a whole lot of the same kinds of 'safe' players being drafted by the same people.  

Out so far

Yopyk

Vargas

In

Brackett

Murray? 

But the last I heard, P.J. Fenton has been reduced in role to being just an amateur scout which is more appropriate for his experience level.  

While its encouraging to see some fresh blood in the scouting department, we'll see what this guy does.  

• 2 months later...

Here's a very interesting article on how the Bolts traded up with the Wild to get Brayden Point in the 2012 draft. Do read the article to the end, because along with the scouting and the drafting knowledge, the article also reveals how the Bolts fixed the skating issues Point had when he was younger. We need to copy this to the Wild, if we haven't already.

13 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Here's a very interesting article on how the Bolts traded up with the Wild to get Brayden Point in the 2012 draft. Do read the article to the end, because along with the scouting and the drafting knowledge, the article also reveals how the Bolts fixed the skating issues Point had when he was younger. We need to copy this to the Wild, if we haven't already.

Please,Lynxrattle, provide that article. No link to it.

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Thank you. It is a very interesting article how to look for a promising talent, then how to fight for him to get into the team and then how to prepare him/to develop him for the NHL without sending him to the farm club. Overall - person who is scouting for a promising prospect should have a superb sensor on professional hockey talents. Not only enough just to get 1st pick; 1-st or 2-nd overall. He needs to discover real value of the draft too , and what should be done for his improvement.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Obviously they were not going to talk specific players, but I think he understands that the draft is a reflection of what they want the team to be.  So I think its safe to say we will learn alot about Bill Guerin's vision as we watch this draft unfold.  

A very good point! I think I'm going to keep an eye on this draft 🧐