The Minnesota Wild Sign Kirill Kaprizov to 2-year deal

Thank you LIG for the good news , which I was waiting for 5 years. Finally Kaprizov was signed to the Wild organization. Completely agree with you and have same opinion, still the team could receive some benefits and advises even at practices with Kaprizov, as well as Kaprizov could improve his communications with teammates too  during a summer time before the next new season will start.

41 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Nice!

Nice also happened in the same day that our interim Wild Coach Dean Evason was signed as a Head Coach. In general, it was a big day for the Wild team today - 2 important contracts were signed. In my opinion, under Dean Evason team played pretty well this season(we had 8-4-0 record), and I had a real interest to watch our team even when we lost to a better teams we still were competitive enough against them. As well as Fiala's individual star shined also under Dean Evason coaching this season. Hope, he will continue to play same style.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Minnesota Wild sign Kirill Kaprizov to a 2-year deal

I provide some thoughts and analysis to Kaprizov's signing with the Minnesota Wild and what role he'll play (albeit at practice).  Check it out and discuss!  

Interesting thought on Addison emulating Hughes prepping Wild for Van.

• Like 1

In a strange way this might be the best scenario for Kirill to join us and the NHL.
2 screwed up seasons with him getting used to everything.
First 'season' of being around the team and practicing with little pressure.
Then a shorter season to show his stuff. Of course neither of these seasons are set in stone these days.

• Like 2

Thank God we can finally bring a young talent and significant asset in limbo into the fold.  Now, we have to try not to let the culture ruin him, and figure out how to get him signed longer term when his deal expires.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Addison wasn't as noticeable in the 2nd scrimmage as he was during the 1st one.  I thought Menell and Belpedio stood out a lot more.  Still, Addison looks like he certainly has some intriguing talent.  

I was able to see scrimmage on YouTube. I liked more the green team than the white one. Or maybe it was a reason to put two competitive team against each other, which one was more offensively minded and the other one was more defensively minded. And to see which style was more effective.

Regarding Kaprizov , Michael Russo was worried how to put him on quarantine when he will come. I think the most simple  solution - 2 weeks of isolation in a hotel room. If no symptoms or temperature in 2 weeks then he is clear to practice with the team. Hope, Kaprizov will get a visa soon. Or maybe he got already?

Expanded roster for our team  from the Michael Russo twitter:

"Goalies Kahkonen and Robson;

Defenseman Bartkowski; Belpedio; Menell;

Forwards Mayhew; Sturm; Johnson; Rau and Kaprizov.

That would equal the maximum 31 players."

Addison; Anas and J.T.Brown were not on the ice today and meaning they are not going to Edmonton  with the team according to Michael Russo too.

Hope, Kaprizov will be able to connect to the team in Edmonton. Probably, would be nice to present him to the immigration service to get a visa that he introduce a very important part for the team's success during this playoffs series.

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Did you guys hear the rube on Judd Zulgad's show who predicted Kaprizov would score 100 points next season and win the Calder trophy?  :rolleyes:  

Wow. That would mean a huge disappointment for the predictor if Kaprizov scored 50 and ended up second in the Calder trophy vote...

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

50 would be great, 40 good, 30 a bit bland. We'll see how it goes.

I was talking to @MNSOTA if Kaprizov has 40-ish point season, how much do you offer him?  Or if he has a lousy year, how much term do you want to give him?  Unlike most 'young' prospects, Kaprizov will be 24 years old by the time you are going to be negotiating this contract.  IMO, it would be pretty risky to pay him big time money unless he kind of performs that way out of the gate.  

58 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

I agree there. His age matters. He needs to show his worth first season, and if not, the Wild should be prepared to cut the losses early.

I am predicting at least 60 points for Kaprizov during the 1st season. He was the best player in KHL the last 2 seasons and he needs to show how good he is in NHL now. As well as he is a pretty young player too and has enough energy to show his skills. He also needs some good support(physical and mental) from his teammates too during the games and outside the games. Without that is hard to show anything good for the team. I liked that Spurgeon is talking and supporting him by mail for a month already, and Kaprizov had  nice communications with Foligno and Guerin too. Good men and I impressed and admired about them. That way the team is building.

Interesting if Kaprizov arrived to Canada or still has difficulties to get a visa? Any info? According to Russo - he supposed to have a quarantine for a week and to have 4 negative Covid tests in 4 days, and then he is clear to practice with the team.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am predicting at least 60 points for Kaprizov during the 1st season. He was the best player in KHL the last 2 seasons and he needs to show how good he is in NHL now. As well as he is a pretty young player too and has enough energy to show his skills. He also needs some good support(physical and mental) from his teammates too during the games and outside the games. Without that is hard to show anything good for the team. I liked that Spurgeon is talking and supporting him by mail for a month already, and Kaprizov had  nice communications with Foligno and Guerin too. Good men and I impressed and admired about them. That way the team is building.

Interesting if Kaprizov arrived to Canada or still has difficulties to get a visa? Any info? According to Russo - he supposed to have a quarantine for a week and to have 4 negative Covid tests in 4 days, and then he is clear to practice with the team.

The sick thing is, if the Wild are to throw him big money...he damn well better put up those kinds of production.  With how late the signing took place in his career, I think the Wild would be wise in being cautious.  

On 7/31/2020 at 11:40 PM, Alexandron said:

Oh, that would be something Alex. 

Can you off the top of your head name many Wild players who've scored 60 points in their rookie season? I can only think of Gaborik. There hasn't been many 60 point seasons for the Wild players including veterans in the last decade.

Even 50 points would be pretty darn good and I'm thinking that will be tough, too. Unless they pair him up with Fiala, they find chemistry fast, he passes some veterans in the pecking order for quality PP time etc...

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Can you off the top of your head name many Wild players who've scored 60 points in their rookie season? I can only think of Gaborik. There hasn't been many 60 point seasons for the Wild players including veterans in the last decade.

Even 50 points would be pretty darn good and I'm thinking that will be tough, too. Unless they pair him up with Fiala, they find chemistry fast, he passes some veterans in the pecking order for quality PP time etc...

Gaborik had 36 points I believe in his rookie season.  No Wild rookie has ever had that kind of season out of the gate.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Gaborik had 36 points I believe in his rookie season.  No Wild rookie has ever had that kind of season out of the gate.  

Thanks! So he had. Which only underlines the fact how hard it has been for any Wild player to have a massive impact on the scoreboard immediately. 

Is Kaprizov as big of a talent as Gaborik? 🤔 And even if he was...

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

That would be an exception of the Wild traditions, like Ovechkin did and some other players. Hope, they will place him with Fiala which would be very helpful to reach him multiple points, but not with rusted veterans. We should start to pickle them, because we are getting them every year more and more. Now, after such a frustrating end of the 2019- 2020 season I will not be surprised to see him playing with veterans. It seems some Wild traditions are never die. Time will show what will happen next season. Interesting at my work (at 7 hospitals), more and more fans want to buy Kaprizov's jerseys. I am impressed and thinking already - it's going to be in demand a lot on selling his jerseys. It seems huge business is coming for the Wild organization because of his participation. Hope, also an idiotic Covid restrictions will be gone by that time. Nothing is special for that infection (in 99% it is like a simple Spanish flu way). The difference between Covid and Spanish flu is in antibodies active life. For Covid - 3 months (this is why we have those spikes for this time of the year) and for Spanish flu - 6 months (mainly spring-fall).

And I also would like to tell to media, commentators and our fans (if some one occasionally is reading our Wild forum) - "Kaprizov" pronunciation should be done exclusively through the letter "Z" but not letter "S"(no "Kaprisov"), because it is not existing at all that word through the letter "S" in Russian. "Z" is "Z".

I think the expectations on Kaprizov are unhealthy and likely unattainable.  Yet, with the Wild where they are as a franchise, people are pretty desperate to think he'll be the club's savior.  

If Kaprizov can do what Dominik Kubalik has done for the the Chicago Blackhawks, that would be huge.  It is a shame he was never able to join the team at all for the short playoff run it had because it sounds like his agent dropped the ball.  I am sure the team was hoping to get him acclimated and see him on the ice with his Wild teammates to probably gauge where he is.  But now they'll have to wait for next season; but hopefully he can still come over and get himself set up and acclimated to life in Minnesota a bit.