The Minnesota Wild Sign Kirill Kaprizov to 2-year deal

On 8/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, Hockey-78 said:

Oh, that would be something Alex. 

Can you off the top of your head name many Wild players who've scored 60 points in their rookie season? I can only think of Gaborik. There hasn't been many 60 point seasons for the Wild players including veterans in the last decade.

Even 50 points would be pretty darn good and I'm thinking that will be tough, too. Unless they pair him up with Fiala, they find chemistry fast, he passes some veterans in the pecking order for quality PP time etc...

I just was reading the first pages of our predictions to Kaprizov's production during his rookie season. Most fans were predicting 40-50 points for him, of course, if he played a regular 82 games season. And you were right too, Hockey-78. And it seems he did fit into that range already (41 points now(22goals;19 assists)) in 47 played games of this 56 games short season. How many points Kaprizov would have in 82 played games? Probably, more. Gaborik had his 36 points(18 goals;18 assists) in 71 played games.

Kaprizov now again 4 points ahead of Robertson, who added 1 point more last game in his points run(37) with Kaprizov(41) for the Calder Trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Happy Birthday to future Calder Trophy winner!
#97 celebrates 24th birthday

DB617A21-75F9-48B4-8BFD-73132DA67550.jpeg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CUPRIZOV!!!!! OUR SUPERB FORWARD in 20 years of the Wild history!

Thanks Jimtown guy for finding this important data for the Wild club.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday to future Stanley Cup winner as well!

Wild link even wrote Happy Birthday on Russian to him too. And Michael Russo presented a nice picture of smiling Kaprizov holding a young domestic sheep. One fan in comments below wrote a wish to be in hands of Kaprizov instead of young sheep. Probably the Wild club had a day off for celebrating Kaprizov birthday today. Just my guess.☺

• Like 1

Robertson added last night 2 more points and is staying so far 2 points behind Kaprizov in a Calder Trophy run. 39 points vs 41 Kaprizov's points. I also compared Kaprizov's stats to Ovechkin stats this season and it seems they are almost comparable. He has 41 points (22 goals;19 assists) in 47 played games vs Ovechkin's 42 points(24 goals;18 assists) in 43 played games. But Kaprizov has currently better +/- stats  + 6 and Ovechkin has  -7. Hope, in remaining 9 games of this season Kirill will be able to add 9 more points to reach a 50 points mark in his 1st NHL season of his career. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ric1990 said:

I believe Kirill Kaprizov is a good recruit Minnesota Wild. Although hasn't had much free time since arriving in Minnesota but his impact for the Wild has been spectacular. 
Kaprizov has played for the Russian national team in the World Under-18 Championships, World Junior Championships, and IIHF World Championships. He was the youngest player in the Russian team at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. 

He also placed his Olympic winning goal in OT to give a gold to the Russian team.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/whos-leading-calder-trophy-race-kirill-kaprizov-jason-robertson/

Robertson "the more well-rounded player"!?! I can't believe the article. Has the writer even bothered watching Kaprizov play? It's quite clear who is the more well-rounded player. I'd like to see Robertson play with Zuccarello and Rask. Not to belittle Robertson, he's a great player, but come on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/whos-leading-calder-trophy-race-kirill-kaprizov-jason-robertson/

Robertson "the more well-rounded player"!?! I can't believe the article. Has the writer even bothered watching Kaprizov play? It's quite clear who is the more well-rounded player. I'd like to see Robertson play with Zuccarello and Rask. Not to belittle Robertson, he's a great player, but come on.

And overall influence on the team also important. Who has more Kaprizov or Robertson? Where is our team position and is Dallas team in their divisions? How many points our team has and how many points Stars have? We already have playoffs spot, but Dallas still fighting for it. Not sure if will get it. Last season Stars reached playoffs finals and this year probably not. No questions, our team is much better and more productive in comparison of last 2 years when we did not get a playoffs spot in one season and barely have got one playoffs spot last season. In conclusion, influence of Kaprizov play is much higher on our team than Robertson play on a Dallas team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexandron said:

And overall influence on the team also important. Who has more Kaprizov or Robertson? Where is our team position and is Dallas team in their divisions? How many points our team has and how many points Stars have? We already have playoffs spot, but Dallas still fighting for it. Not sure if will get it. Last season Stars reached playoffs finals and this year probably not. No questions, our team is much better and more productive in comparison of last 2 years when we did not get a playoffs spot in one season and barely have got one playoffs spot last season. In conclusion, influence of Kaprizov play is much higher on our team than Robertson play on a Dallas team.

That is clear to me as well. Which was  of the players changes his team more? There's absolutely no question about that. I feel it's important for the better player to win this, not just because it's right, and nice for Kap and the Wild, but also because outside Minnesota the Wild is noticed so little. I fear our invisibility might make us harder to notice by the refs in any playoffs runs as well, as well in enticing proven players to consider the Wild as their future. A Calder Trophy gets attention.

Edited by lynxrattle
Kap not Map
  • Like 1

Completely agree. The team will be more recognized when has a Calder trophy winner and will have more attention by the media. Michael Russo presented an interesting table. According to it Kaprizov is on a 5th place among the best rookies in NHL since 1990-91 season who was able to place most goals in one month. Selanne-20; Gaudreau -14; Prucha -12; Pavel Bure -12; and Kaprizov -11.

• Like 1

Michael Russo said that Kaprizov taking a 6th place among the best rookies in a last 30 years (since 1990-91 season) on the most goals placed in one month which is right. But I would say slightly different - Kaprizov is  5th player among the best rookies in a last 30 years on the most goals placed in one month , because Selanne made in one rookie season 2 records when was able to place 20 goals in one month and 12 goals in other month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Fingers crossed. Now a real show of force by Kap would be in place, forcing the hand of any jingoist Canadian voters.

I think even Canadian voters realize now that Kaprizov is the best rookie in any parts of the game. To blame that he played before in KHL is an argument of nothing, because the level of KHL is lower than NHL and we had rookies before which played previously in KHL but did not show a lot of talent in NHL. Talent of Kaprizov is given to him exclusively by Mother Nature as well as by God. I am glad we have him to enjoy his play for many years to come. He attracted already lots of fans to our team, which come special to see his play and to react loudly on any his goal or assist at our home ice arena.

• Like 1

What a huge honor to Spurgeon's 3 kids to play Knee Hockey with Kaprizov in Spurgeon's house. Michael Russo presented a nice video in his twit. Some day Spurgeon kids will say - we played with Kaprizov - the greatest Minnesota hockey player in a history.

8 hours ago, Alexandron said:

What a huge honor to Spurgeon's 3 kids to play Knee Hockey with Kaprizov in Spurgeon's house. Michael Russo presented a nice video in his twit. Some day Spurgeon kids will say - we played with Kaprizov - the greatest Minnesota hockey player in a history.

Future hockey players, I'm sure.

• Like 1

After the crazy game last night when we won against VGK team with a score 6:5, and after watching the superb performance of Kaprizov; Fiala; Zuccarello; EEK; Brodin; Foligno and other players during this game I started to compare it with a famous Red Machine when it showed a tremendous character in winning even the team was way behind in losing the game.  If we will be able to pass 2 playoffs rounds this season then I would call our team or Minnesota's Wild Machine or just a Wild Machine. Hope, the team will transfer this type of character which they gained in a last 3 games (2 against Blues and 1 against VGK) to the playoffs time too.

The Big Red Machine had an awful lot of skill and a tremendous amount of practice behind the success. But who knows, if Boldy and Rossi fulfill the expectations, then we might have a roster close enough for the dream to come true. I'm going to stay a bit cautious, though. We don't know how good or bad the Wild is, as we have only played against a few teams this season.

• Good Post 1

12 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The Big Red Machine had an awful lot of skill and a tremendous amount of practice behind the success. But who knows, if Boldy and Rossi fulfill the expectations, then we might have a roster close enough for the dream to come true. I'm going to stay a bit cautious, though. We don't know how good or bad the Wild is, as we have only played against a few teams this season.

Completely agree with you. That was my dream to give some day to the team a title of the Wild Machine.