Flyers Round Robin Schedule (Game Threads) - August 2020

pilldoc

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's not about it being a loss....it's about keeping my starter sharp.

Nothing more.

I understand what you're saying.

But let's imagine a scenario where Hart is getting shelled and the games really matter, it happens to every goalie, the last time Elliot would have seen a shot in a game situation would have been 1 period of work vs the Pens,  before that, it was ****** March. So the back up comes into a shooting gallery and that's the first action he's seen in 5 months. That's a recipe for having 2 goalies with shot confidence and maybe injury.   The next  thing you know Lyon is playing and he really isn't up for the NHL playoffs.

The team will need Elliot, having him face actual shooters is good for the team long term.

Carter Hart won't forget how to play goalie for six days, he'll practice he'll be fine. 

He plays vs Tampa and then he goes in the start of the seven game series. 

I don't see where Hart's game goes to **** because Elliot gets some work, agree to disagree.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I understand what you're saying.

But let's imagine a scenario where Hart is getting shelled and the games really matter, it happens to every goalie, the last time Elliot would have seen a shot in a game situation would have been 1 period of work vs the Pens,  before that, it was ****** March. So the back up comes into a shooting gallery and that's the first action he's seen in 5 months. That's a recipe for having 2 goalies with shot confidence and maybe injury.   The next  thing you know Lyon is playing and he really isn't up for the NHL playoffs.

The team will need Elliot, having him face actual shooters is good for the team long term.

Carter Hart won't forget how to play goalie for six days, he'll practice he'll be fine. 

He plays vs Tampa and then he goes in the start of the seven game series. 

I don't see where Hart's game goes to **** because Elliot gets some work, agree to disagree.

And then without warning, BAM! Covid hits and Elliott is shut down.

Gee this is fun. Doing hypothetical, "sky is falling" scenarios

here's another one. Hart plays. He shuts down the great OV and the Flyers win again. His confidence skyrockets and he leads this team deep into the playoffs and dare I say..... image.jpeg.859cfab2d5c7d53b590bb79e0a1723f4.jpeg    he leads the Flyers to a Cup.

This is why this kid was brought here. To be THE guy! And, if he does tank, he still gets the experience which will be hugely valuable moving forward. Elliott is a back up on borrowed time. He is not the Flyers future. Hart is. Again, This is why he was brought here.

26 minutes ago, CoachX said:

here's another one. Hart plays. He shuts down the great OV and the Flyers win again. His confidence skyrockets and he leads this team deep into the playoffs and dare I say..... image.jpeg.859cfab2d5c7d53b590bb79e0a1723f4.jpeg    he leads the Flyers to a Cup.

This is why this kid was brought here. To be THE guy! And, if he does tank, he still gets the experience which will be hugely valuable moving forward. Elliott is a back up on borrowed time. He is not the Flyers future. Hart is. Again, This is why he was brought here.

Right, it's pie in the sky that a goalie gets lit up in the playoffs and needs relieved.

Also, shutting down a superior team a couple of days before has done nothing for Carter's confidence?

The Bruins were/are the chalk, that wasn't the ****** jayvee squad they sent out vs the Flyers.

The round robin tournament is not being viewed by the coaching staff they way you are viewing it. To this point this year the coaching staff has done the right things for this team, I'm willing to give them some leeway with goalie playing time. 

My track record as coach is about as good as yours, neither compares favorably to Vigneault's, or heck even Therrien's...

If you cannot see there is value in Elliot getting some work, there's not much more to talk about on the subject.

Go Flyers

Edited by mojo1917
grammar, it's always grammar
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Ok, i agree with some of what you're saying here...but bonus points for the Blazing Saddles meme.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

To this point this year the coaching staff has done the right things for this team, I'm willing to give them some leeway with goalie playing time. 

One game. Not much of a sample size

• Haha 1

I think I am going IPA just not sure which one.

Once again i'll be in the pool till about 6 then out with some friends for supper so I won't be able to check in i don't want spoilers.

I will however start watching while I know I will be waiting for the wife to get ready....more than likely the first period.

I just hope it's a win.

Cheers everyone.

@CoachX

Not sure if FC's link works i will try to post one before I leave.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (will be updated, subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
49 Joel Farabee - 38 Derek Grant - 62 Nic Aube-Kubel
82 Connor Bunnaman - 44 Nate Thompson - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

CAPITALS (projection is if Carlson does not play)

8 Alex Ovechkin -  92 Evgeny Kuznetsov - 43 Tom Wilson
13 Jakub Vrana - 19 Nicklas Bäckström - 77 T.J. Oshie
62 Carl Hagelin - 72 Travis Boyd - 17 Ilya Kovalchuk
14 Richard Panik - 26 Nic Dowd - 21 Garnet Hathaway

4 Brenden Dillon - 9 Dmitry Orlov
6 Michal Kempny - 33 Radko Gudas
34 Jonas Siegenthaler - 3 Nick Jensen

70 Braden Holtby
[41 Vitek Vanecek]

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Hayes played a great game....

Unbelievable. Probably one of his best as a pro to be honest. I've not seen a player buy time like that in awhile. Very impressive.

More importantly, that line is buzzing and a real handful for three opposition. 

TB will be a real test. They are playing very stingy and can be dangerous. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Nice win by a Flyers.

Flyers are now no lower than #2 seed.  If they beat TB they get #1 seed, lose and they are #2.

Hayes played a great game....

First line has to figure their thing out though. 

Farabee and NAK looked good, Grant seemed like he was just along for the ride with the two of them.

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

First line has to figure their thing out though. 

Farabee and NAK looked good, Grant seemed like he was just along for the ride with the two of them.

Barely recognized Grant sans beard but he played well defensively. I will take that from a 4th liner every day of the week.

• Like 2