Flyers Round Robin Schedule (Game Threads) - August 2020

pilldoc

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

Gotta give Moose some work 

He beat the Caps twice this year, since the games are so far apart you don't HAVE to give him some work but i understand giving him a game.

Practice can only do so much to shake off some rust and i would be ok with Elliott getting the nod vs the Caps and saving Hart for the Bolts.

Flyers have fared well vs the Caps (Elliott stopped 25 of 27 shots last time they played) not so much vs the Bolts.

I just want to keep this winning streak going if you can even call it a streak yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

It was all good until you wrote these fateful words and jinxed it!

You Canucks are so superstitious. 

I will take the blame if they fail.

I will shoulder the burden for you.

Normally I would be like Trump and deny it happened but you i will make an exception...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:
I guess we'll see Elliott vs Caps thursday and go back to Hart vs the Bolts.

Was there some indication this would happen?

I was kinda hoping Hart would be the guy through the playoffs

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

AV said he would get them both in.

So I'm guessing he goes Elliott vs Washington and Hart again vs Bolts.

But I haven't seen anything official yet.

36 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Trying to be a team innit. I'm ok with it, being a team. You never know if you'll need Moose. You might have a better chance with him when it happens if he's felt that he's part of a team. 

Related: There's no "i" in "team," but there's a "u" in "****."

13 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Trying to be a team innit. I'm ok with it, being a team. You never know if you'll need Moose. You might have a better chance with him when it happens if he's felt that he's part of a team. 

Related: There's no "i" in "team," but there's a "u" in "****."

Im all for team. However, teams with a legit number one arent very worried about hurting the feelings of the backup. This is the playoffs.  The best guys need to be out there every night. Elliott is a veteran, im pretty sure he knows that. If his play is going to be affected by whether or not he perceives he is part of the team, then I am less enthused for the teams chance of success

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

Ithink these two would be better suited to play vs Caps maybe than the Bolts....but what do i know right???

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Im all for team. However, teams with a legit number one arent very worried about hurting the feelings of the backup. This is the playoffs.  The best guys need to be out there every night. Elliott is a veteran, im pretty sure he knows that. If his play is going to be affected by whether or not he perceives he is part of the team, then I am less enthused for the teams chance of success

I don't mind seeing Elliott get a chance to loosen up the scar tissue. Hoping for a LONG short season here where his play might actually be needed occasionally. Or as Squirrely Dan would say "allegedly"...….

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

The best guys need to be out there every night. Elliott is a veteran, im pretty sure he knows that. If his play is going to be affected by whether or not he perceives he is part of the team, then I am less enthused for the teams chance of success

See i just don't agree with this....no matter what if he has to come in say in the first round next week or something the dude is going to be still cold....no matter that is what backup goaltenders do...come in cold thinking anything less is not being honest.

Hey i get letting him play but let's lie to yourself on why we are doing so. If he plays next week he will be completely cold...just because he played last thursday doesn't prevent that from happening a week later.

On the one hand, this round robin theoretically is not as pressing as a playoff series. Therefore, tinkering with line ups, giving guys a chance to play etc. , is reasonable (I guess). The worst you can do is 4th, which is where you started off

I just don't buy this logic. I think the intensity should be maxed out at all times. Don't take it easy or allow for lax attitude. We all know how playoff hockey goes, and settling for a spot, as opposed to taking control of your destiny, can bite you in the ass. The team that just beat up on Boston should be the team until you are forced to make a change.

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The team that just beat up pn Boston should be the team until you are forced to make a change.

I agree and in this case i would only go with adding Farabee in Raffl's place due to injury that is all.

Yes this technically isn't the playoff yet but i would be striving for the top seed.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good JVR has been invisible.

While I think JVR needs to pick up his play a bit, he is a complimentary player. He's never been one to carry the puck and start the offense himself. Sticking him with Grant and then expecting him to do... something is a bit counterintuitive. I think, for example, you'd see more offense out of JVR with Frost in, but they don't seem inclined to give him a go. He'd be better served if you could get him on a line with Jake in the absence of a puck carrying center.

Giroux - Couturier - NAK

Farabee - Hayes - Konecny

JVR - Laughton - Voracek

Bunnaman - Grant - Pitlick

I don't think NAK is a first-liner, but with two top-tier forwards, he wouldn't have to be. This makes the third line more dangerous, as well, with Laughton and Voracek. Farabee did about as well as Laughton with Hayes-Konecny from a metric standpoint, though the actual GF/GA numbers were better with Laughton.

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if they beat the Caps they have secured no less than the 2nd seed I think.

Correct, if they win in regulation. It also ensures that they can't meet Tampa until the ECF, as they will be 1/2 in some order.

• Like 1

In regards to Elliot starting, I think AV wants him to psychologically and tactically of been exposed a game as a backup to have him, back up to speed in a "real" game(no preseason games available), as AV has the luxury of doing, as he might bring in Friedman and others in one of the remaining games so that, they at least "played" a real game before throwing them out to the wolves per se...psychologically and physically.

It's like trying out your spare tire before the long road trip, you know the thing can hold air and be drive-able if it comes to it.

16 hours ago, AJgoal said:

While I think JVR needs to pick up his play a bit, he is a complimentary player. He's never been one to carry the puck and start the offense himself. Sticking him with Grant and then expecting him to do... something is a bit counterintuitive. I think, for example, you'd see more offense out of JVR with Frost in, but they don't seem inclined to give him a go. He'd be better served if you could get him on a line with Jake in the absence of a puck carrying center.

Giroux - Couturier - NAK

Farabee - Hayes - Konecny

JVR - Laughton - Voracek

Bunnaman - Grant - Pitlick

I don't think NAK is a first-liner, but with two top-tier forwards, he wouldn't have to be. This makes the third line more dangerous, as well, with Laughton and Voracek. Farabee did about as well as Laughton with Hayes-Konecny from a metric standpoint, though the actual GF/GA numbers were better with Laughton.

What the hell is Bunnaman doing in the line up?

Did we time warp back to the preseason?

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

In regards to Elliot starting, I think AV wants him to psychologically and tactically of been exposed a game as a backup to have him, back up to speed in a "real" game(no preseason games available), as AV has the luxury of doing, as he might bring in Friedman and others in one of the remaining games so that, they at least "played" a real game before throwing them out to the wolves per se...psychologically and physically.

It's like trying out your spare tire before the long road trip, you know the thing can hold air and be drive-able if it comes to it.

this is not the time to be Playing mad scientist with the line up. They should stay and hungry and desperate

Maybe AV is trying to knock the coaching rust off. I think he's being stupid