Flyers Round Robin Schedule (Game Threads) - August 2020

pilldoc

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm writing my final paper for my 8th grad class while drinking and watching this game. This is not going to end well.

You're in the 8th grade?! I knew @CoachX was held back and still trying to get out of the 8th grade, but you?

• Haha 1

Great win, N.AK almost got the hatty, Ghost seemed like he might stick in the lineup. Hope Sanheim's hand is ok. Maybe the league will look at that cause to injure.

Another site to look at the games is, search "sports surge". Select your sport and enjoy the game.

9 hours ago, Podein25 said:

It means opposition center is first stick down. This may seem trivial, but it ain't.

I've been watching faceoffs and with our guys being the best in the league, that little advantage is enough to put us into the 60+% mark. The translates directly into possession and it removes scoring threats from lost faceoffs in our end. 

In short, it's actually bigly yuge. 

I'm a couple pages behind so I don’t know if anyone said this yet...that rule was changed a couple years ago.  The defending team (in the defensive zone) puts their stick down first.

EDIT:  I see AJ mentioned it.  Glad I read the rest of the thread because I almost asked about the 8th grade thing, too!!

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 1

OSTGAME 5: Top Dogs!

Flyers earn #1 seed in Eastern Conference with 4-1 win over Lightning

by Bill Meltzer @BillMeltzer
 August 8, 2020
cut.jpg

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED

The top-seeded Philadelphia Flyers will play the Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. The matchup was set up as a result of the Flyers 4-1 against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday in the final game of round-robin play. 

Nicolas Aube-Kubel tallied his first and second career NHL postseason goals with a deflection tally at 7:40 of the first period and then a 2-on-1 goal at the 14:00 mark. Tyler Johnson and Joel Farabee traded off tallies in the second period as the Flyers took a 3-1 lead to the locker room. Tyler Pitlick added some extra insurance late in regulation.

Carter Hart was not tested much in terms of quantity but he had to make several critical saves at key junctures in stopping 23 of 24 shots. Andrei Vasilevskiy played well in a losing cause, stopping 26 of 29 Philadelphia shots.

TURNING POINT

Hart's breakaway save on Nikita Kucherov and the way the Flyers turned a Tampa turnover into Aube-Kubel's first goal of the game turned the early tide and set Philly up for a dominant first period. Once ahead, Philly never relinquished their control. 

MELTZER'S TAKE

* The Lightning had the early pressure in the first period, and the deadly Nikita Kucherov broke through for two golden scoring opportunities. He hit the crossbar on the first and was denied on a five-hole attempt on a breakaway on the second. Thereafter, apart from Hart having to stop an Alex Killorn shorthanded breakaway off a Travis Konecny turnover, the Flyers were like a buzzsaw in building a 2-0 lead and a 20-6 shot advantage.

* Victor Hedman appeared to get injured as he fell down defending Tyler Pitllck on what started as a 2-on-2 rush, and became a 2-on-1. Hedman subsequently had to leave the game. The Flyers fourth line alone had three scoring chances in quick succession at one juncture.  

* Vasilevskiy had no chance on either of Aube-Kubel's first period goals. The first was a deflection in front of a Shayne Gostisbehere point shot. The latter came on a 2-on-1 from the slot off a feed from Sean Couturier. Joel Farabee's secondary assist was his first career NHL postseason point. Philly was credited with a dozen first period hits (led by three from Kevin Hayes) and won 11 of 19 faceoffs (Hayes won five of seven).

* The second period was a good defensive period for the Flyers, as they limited the Lightning to seven shots. The Flyers killed off their first penalty with authority but got burned on the second. Hart made a touch save on Mikhail Sergechev. Shortly thereafter, though, he was beaten from the dead slot by Johnson off a Killorn pass.

* Strong forechecking work by Couturier and a tape-to-tape cross-ice pass from Gostisbehere to Farabee near the right hash marks presented the Flyers a great scoring chance, and Farabee buried it in the back of the net. 

STATISTICALLY SPEAKING

* The Flyers went a perfect 3-0-0 in the Round Robin against three teams above them in the NHL standings and outscored them 11-3 in the process.

* The Flyers earned the #1 seed to enter the playoffs for the first time since the 2000 playoffs.

* Nic Aube-Kubel recorded two goals, his first two career Stanley Cup Playoff goals, and led all players in the game with six shots.

* Joel Farabee recorded a two-point night with a goal and an assist, which are his first career Stanley Cup Playoff points.

* Scott Laughton recorded an assist making him the lone Flyer to record a point in all four games since Return to Play... He led the team with six points (4g-2a).

* The Flyers yielded their first goal on the penalty kill since entering the bubble - they are 12-for-13 on the PK

* Matt Niskanen led the team with 25:33 of ice time

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR would score ZERO goals?

Only thing I was NOT surprised by.

Hi Everyone! Good to be back!! GO FLYERS! Unreal Round Robin!

Hart is the REAL DEAL. Verdict is in. I'll never doubt this kid again. And our depth is suddenly REALLY impressive.

So cool.

(Hope you all are healthy and safe during these unprecedented times....hang in there fellow humans!)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Hart is the REAL DEAL.

Yeah it's real hard to argue with a 966% vs. Boston and Tampa.

This is the best top 4 we have seen since Pronger/Carle Kimmo/Coburn.

Really hard to play against a team that can roll out combos like that.

Once they get Raffl and Oskar back they may be unstoppable....we'll no one is unstoppable but they will be a force to handle.

Especially if they can ever get Giroux, Jake and Coots scoring.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poulin20 said:

I’m as a big a Flyers fan as they come but I’m generally pretty pessimistic about the team based on their track record for breaking my heart with either running into a buzzsaw (Oilers, Pens, Hawks, or Wings) or making breathtakingly bad screw ups and allowing soft goals at the worst possible times.

One game at a time one series at a time. Don't look beyond that. Win the next game. Then we'll talk. It's all that matter.

All they need is 16 wins. I don't care how they get them. Just get em.

I agree with @Poulin20, there is something different about this team.  It's a great feeling.  

Although I have a nagging feeling that if they went on a magic run and took home the cup, the asterisk next to it would always always bother me just a little.  

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

I agree with @Poulin20, there is something different about this team.  It's a great feeling.  

Although I have a nagging feeling that if they went on a magic run and took home the cup, the asterisk next to it would always always bother me just a little.  

they will have won 4 best of 7 playoff series. 

**** the asterisk. 

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

Generally speaking, it doesn’t matter who wins, the asterisk will be there.  It doesn’t matter to me as every team had to play under the same conditions this year.  The Flyers did not have any special advantage over any other team.

• Like 2