9 members have voted

1. 1. (7) New York Islanders vs. (10) Florida Panthers

• Islanders Sweep
    • Islanders in 4 (WINNER)
    • Islanders in 5
    • Panthers Sweep
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5

New York finished seventh in the Eastern Conference with 80 points in 68 games for a points percentage of .588. Florida gained 78 points in 69 games for a points percentage of .565 to finish tenth in the Eastern Conference. This will be the second playoff meeting between these two teams. Their only previous meeting was in the 2016 Eastern Conference First Round, which New York won in six games. New York won all three games in this year's regular season series.

August 1 Florida Panthers   4:00 p.m.   New York Islanders Scotiabank Arena SN1, NBCSN  
August 4 Florida Panthers   12:00 p.m.   New York Islanders Scotiabank Arena SN, NBCSN  
August 5 New York Islanders   12:00 p.m.   Florida Panthers Scotiabank Arena SN, NBCSN  
August 7 New York Islanders   TBD   Florida Panthers Scotiabank Arena  
August 9 Florida Panthers   TBD   New York Islanders Scotiabank Arena  
Edited by pilldoc

I took the cats in 5, explosive offense versus stiffling defense, usually defense wins out but after all this time off i think offense rounds into game shape first and therefor give the Cats the edge.

What the hell has happened to Bob????  I agree, @yave1964 about the Cats offense, BUT can they stop the puck?????

If Bob shows up/....Panthers win....if he struggles like he did all year....Isles take the series....

Going on limb that Bob still struggles..... Isles in 5

For the same reason I picked the Blue Jackets against Toronto, I think the Islanders are just a much better team than the Panthers. I don't think the Panthers belong here. They had numerous opportunities to clinch a playoff spot with an injured and struggling Leafs team and still couldn't get past Toronto in the standings. Panthers should be out early.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

For the same reason I picked the Blue Jackets against Toronto, I think the Islanders are just a much better team than the Panthers. I don't think the Panthers belong here. They had numerous opportunities to clinch a playoff spot with an injured and struggling Leafs team and still couldn't get past Toronto in the standings. Panthers should be out early.  

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

What the hell has happened to Bob????  I agree, @yave1964 about the Cats offense, BUT can they stop the puck?????

If Bob shows up/....Panthers win....if he struggles like he did all year....Isles take the series....

Bob was very ordinary in his last season in Columbus until the final month when he caught fire and then led the CBJ in a clean sweep of the Bolts, then they pushed Boston in a hard fought series as well. I truly think in a postseason series he could be a difference maker.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Bob was very ordinary in his last season in Columbus until the final month when he caught fire and then led the CBJ in a clean sweep of the Bolts, then they pushed Boston in a hard fought series as well. I truly think in a postseason series he could be a difference maker.

I get that but the Blue Jackets defense IMO is better than the Panthers.   I’ve waited all year for him to turn around and it just never materialized. I’m not saying he can’t turn it around but I’m not convinced right now...

I don't think the Islanders are very good. They have a good coach and some okay players but really they're just an okay team.

That said our guys can't seem to beat them this calendar year so what do I know, the Isles are well coached so there's that, but eventually a team needs talent to win stuff and there isn't enough on their team yet.

The Panthers will have home ice throughout this tournament as long as they are in it. They are used to playing in that crypt in Sunrise where when people do show up they're 3/4 dead or rooting for the other team. All these tournament games will feel like a Thursday night home game for the 'cats. They have superior uniforms and better high end talent.

I picked Panthers in 5

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of quick thoughts on this one...... Hoffman is one dimensional but that one dimension, scoring has really translated well to the postseason.... Varlamov, i think he travels out of his net more than any goalie i have seen in many years. But he is quick enough to come back in if the other team gets the puck...Eberle looks like he is trying to erase all ghosts and demons from playoffs past, he drives the net with authority and confidence. The big one, IMHO is the line of Beauvillier, Pageau and Brassard is hands down the best line outside of Carolina that i have seen in the postseason and that counts everyone. I have never been a fan of Brassard since he whined his way out of Columbus but playing wing and telling him to crash the net seems to have been an inspiration by Trotz, frankly i never thought he could do it. Beaullivier and Pageau as his linemates have an insane chemistry for two guys who havent played more than half a dozen games together,  it looks like the puck is on a string between the two of them and the Cats defense is in panic mode whenever the trio is out there together. Just an amazing line.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, pilldoc said:

well ... I was close... Isles win in 4.  What the hell has happened to Bob??? Has he forgotten how to stop the puck??  I’m sort of glad I traded him off my NAHANA team. He could bounce back next year but this year has been really ugly for him.....

Cats need to regroup for next season....

Thank god this is over.

I love this sport and I hated myself for every second I watched this **** show.

Yay! 

The Islanders just win. They buy in and have just enough in net and a few game breakers. 

Ugh 

• Like 2
  • Annoyed 1

On 8/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, yave1964 said:

Pageau and Beaullivier continued to dominate. I really thought Florida would show up but apparently they want to hurry up and get back to quarantine in the States or something.

Now if the Panthers can win Lafreniere it would expedite the move to Quebec i think for sure...

• Like 1