12 members have voted

1. 1. (8) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (9) Columbus Blue Jackets

• Leafs Sweep
    • Leafs in 4
    • Leafs in 5
    • Blue Jackets Sweep
    • Blue Jackets in 4
    • Blue Jackets in 5 (WINNER)

Toronto finished eighth in the Eastern Conference with 81 points in 70 games for a points percentage of .579 and 28 RWs. Columbus had the same points percentage, but with 25 RWs they finished ninth. This will be the first playoff meeting between these two teams. These teams split their two-game regular season series.

August 2 Columbus Blue Jackets   8:00 p.m.   Toronto Maple Leafs Scotiabank Arena SN, NHLN  
August 4 Columbus Blue Jackets   4:00 p.m.   Toronto Maple Leafs Scotiabank Arena SN, NBCSN  
August 6 Toronto Maple Leafs   TBD   Columbus Blue Jackets Scotiabank Arena  
August 7 Toronto Maple Leafs   TBD   Columbus Blue Jackets Scotiabank Arena  
August 9 Columbus Blue Jackets   TBD   Toronto Maple Leafs Scotiabank Arena  
Edited by pilldoc

I think the Jackets win in 5. Bit of a homer pick but my logic is this, the Jackets were decimated by injury all year and have had plenty of time to get everyone back. Yeah the Leafs get Reilly back as well but Columbus missed an insane amount of man games this year and hung around the race, guys like last years playoff heroes Texier and Anderson who missed most of the season are back as are Cam Atkinson and Ryan Murray. This is a team poised to ambush someone.

I went with Blue Jackets in 5 for a few reasons:

• Matthews having COVID-19 recently, and whether he will have made a full recovery. (Apparently it takes a long time to fully recover.)
  • Lots of players on the Leafs were ice cold at the time of the stoppage, and I don't think Andersen was playing well either.
  • The Blue Jackets being in a much tougher division.
  • Finally, the Leafs never perform in the first round. They always do just enough to lose in the maximum number of games, so until they show me otherwise, I can't pick them to win anything.

:) 

• Like 2

How did Mathews get nominated for the Lady Byng after his off-ice antics last summer? Trying to enter a woman's car and then dropping trou to show her your underwear don't really seem to be "the best type of ... gentlemanly conduct" to me.

The Leafs lose in 3 and are somehow disqualified from consideration for the #1 overall as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think the Leafs actually won this game if you pro-rated it.  :whistle:

Actually the first ever shutout in the Blue Jackets playoff history....Bob can't even say that.

Joonas and the Jackets sounds like a band name...a but what kind of band??

• Haha 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Actually the first ever shutout in the Blue Jackets playoff history....Bob can't even say that.

Joonas and the Jackets sounds like a band name...a but what kind of band??

Surf punk?

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think the Leafs actually won this game if you pro-rated it.  :whistle:

You know the more I think about it, why aren't the Leafs playing against the Panthers or the Canadiens in round one to qualify? 

I know we have wild card spots and everything but Toronto's real competition for a playoff spot was the Panthers or (barely) the Habs. No matter what Columbus did, it wasn't going to affect Toronto's playoff chances directly. The Leafs were top 3. 

They should have had Columbus vs Pittsburgh, Toronto vs Montreal/Florida, or whatever.  Keep it within the division.  😐 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You know the more I think about it, why aren't the Leafs playing against the Panthers or the Canadiens in round one to qualify? 

I know we have wild card spots and everything but Toronto's real competition for a playoff spot was the Panthers or (barely) the Habs. No matter what Columbus did, it wasn't going to affect Toronto's playoff chances directly. The Leafs were top 3. 

They should have had Columbus vs Pittsburgh, Toronto vs Montreal/Florida, or whatever.  Keep it within the division.  😐 

Hey, at least you're not losing to Boston. Actually you should be happy the Flyers kicked their arse. Plus, there's this in Toronto..

r/Flyers - Gritty Billboard in Toronto

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey, at least you're not losing to Boston. Actually you should be happy the Flyers kicked their arse. Plus, there's this in Toronto..

r/Flyers - Gritty Billboard in Toronto

All the Flyers did was guarantee that the Leafs/Jackets lose to Tampa in the 1st round, rather than to the Broons.

Actually, I'm not clear. Are they re-seeding the brackets?

Edited by AJgoal

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

yes ....

Thanks. I know they had been talking about it but never saw the confirmation. 

So with all the potential upsets in the making, the Flyers just made it more likely that the Bruins and Leafs meet in round 1.

Edited by AJgoal
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Thanks. I know they had been talking about it but never saw the confirmation. 

here is a better breakdown ...

NEW YORK (June 4, 2020) - The National Hockey League announced today more details of its playoff format for the 2019-20 Return To Play Plan:

Series Lengths
The Qualifying Round will be composed of best-of-five series. All other rounds (First Round, Second Round, Conference Finals, Stanley Cup Final) will be best-of-seven series.

"Seeding" Format
In each succeeding round of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the highest remaining seed in each conference will face the lowest remaining seed, the second-highest remaining seed in each conference will face the second-lowest remaining seed, etc.

Round Robin Tiebreaker
Ties in the Round Robin - featuring the top four teams from each conference - will be broken by regular season points percentage. The seeding order for these teams then will remain the same throughout the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Home" Ice

• In the Qualifying Round, the higher-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2 and 5. The lower-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 3 and 4.
  • In the First Round, Second Round and Conference Finals, the higher-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The lower-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 3, 4 and 6.
  • In the Stanley Cup Final, the team with the higher regular season points percentage will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The team with the lower regular season points percentage will be designated as the home team in Games 3, 4 and 6.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

here is a better breakdown ...

NEW YORK (June 4, 2020) - The National Hockey League announced today more details of its playoff format for the 2019-20 Return To Play Plan:

Series Lengths
The Qualifying Round will be composed of best-of-five series. All other rounds (First Round, Second Round, Conference Finals, Stanley Cup Final) will be best-of-seven series.

"Seeding" Format
In each succeeding round of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the highest remaining seed in each conference will face the lowest remaining seed, the second-highest remaining seed in each conference will face the second-lowest remaining seed, etc.

Round Robin Tiebreaker
Ties in the Round Robin - featuring the top four teams from each conference - will be broken by regular season points percentage. The seeding order for these teams then will remain the same throughout the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Home" Ice

• In the Qualifying Round, the higher-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2 and 5. The lower-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 3 and 4.
  • In the First Round, Second Round and Conference Finals, the higher-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The lower-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 3, 4 and 6.
  • In the Stanley Cup Final, the team with the higher regular season points percentage will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The team with the lower regular season points percentage will be designated as the home team in Games 3, 4 and 6.

OK, all of that makes sense.

• Like 1

As another point of inquiry..... do these games count as playoff games or regular season games?

According to the NHL, the bracket challenge will be up again once the NHL gets down to 16 teams..... so that would mean the playoffs haven't really started until it gets to 16 teams.

That would mean this play-in series is like regular season games trying to earn a playoff spot and those stats should (in theory) count towards regular season play and not the playoffs.

And you know what that means......

:angel:

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

As another point of inquiry..... do these games count as playoff games or regular season games?

According to the NHL, the bracket challenge will be up again once the NHL gets down to 16 teams..... so that would mean the playoffs haven't really started until it gets to 16 teams.

That would mean this play-in series is like regular season games trying to earn a playoff spot and those stats should (in theory) count towards regular season play and not the playoffs.

And you know what that means......

:angel:

They count as playoffs for stats. The Regular Season is over. 

Besides, do you really want to add 3 games, zero points to your prorated stats for Mathews?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jackets play a heavy disciplined wear you down style, kind of like Boston and Toronto simply hates playing against those type of teams. The only drawback for me (a Wings fan but a closet Jackets fan because of the wife and daughter) is it wouldnt break my heart for the CBJ to get the first pick if they lose the series, while it would royaly p!ss me off to see it end up in Toronto.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

They count as playoffs for stats. The Regular Season is over. 

Besides, do you really want to add 3 games, zero points to your prorated stats for Mathews?

Hope he doesn't get shut out.  :(  

If they are indeed treated as playoff stats, does that affect playoff-based records in any way?  Wins, losses, goals, points, etc.  Some interesting details for the NHL to work out here.  

Or maybe they keep the stats for the qualifying round separate from the other stats and don't count them as playoffs or regular season.  :)  

Edited by WordsOfWisdom