12 members have voted

1. 1. (8) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (9) Columbus Blue Jackets

• Leafs Sweep
    • Leafs in 4
    • Leafs in 5
    • Blue Jackets Sweep
    • Blue Jackets in 4
    • Blue Jackets in 5 (WINNER)

I watched the end of that game just now to see it and that was quite the finish. Columbus messed up two opportunities to score on the empty net, while the leafs put enough pressure to get the goals just in time. Some good play right there

• Like 1

WOW ....Just wow ..... :dizzysmiley-1:  I don't think I have ever seen back to back games in which the same teams are playing (either regular season or playoffs) where each team that was down 3-0 came back to win.  That is totally bizarre.   Game 5 should be entertaining...... 

@WordsOfWisdom  I can supply you with some antacids if you need them!  :VeryCool:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

WOW ....Just wow ..... :dizzysmiley-1:  I don't think I have ever seen back to back games in which the same teams are playing (either regular season or playoffs) where each team that was down 3-0 came back to win.  That is totally bizarre.   Game 5 should be entertaining...... 

@WordsOfWisdom  I can supply you with some antacids if you need them!  :VeryCool:

Worst lead in hockey. It used to be 2-0...but I swear once you hit 3, no matter who you are, for some reason the foot comes off the accelerator.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Worst lead in hockey. It used to be 2-0...but I swear once you hit 3, no matter who you are, for some reason the foot comes off the accelerator.

I know ...seriously ...over the past several years how many teams have seen across the league get that 3 goal lead and then lose the game...... I'm trying to find STATS to back that up but having a hard time .....

23 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I know ...seriously ...over the past several years how many teams have seen across the league get that 3 goal lead and then lose the game...... I'm trying to find STATS to back that up but having a hard time .....

Losing a 3-goal lead in the third period is extremely unusual. Doing it in the last 5 minutes of a game is record book territory.

When people speak of the 2-0 lead in hockey, they're referring to a 2-0 lead at any point in the game, because teams relax and stop playing hard, thus giving up the lead.  When you talk about having 3-0 leads heading into the 3rd, the game should be a lock at that point.

Columbus just gradually piled on the goals, one per period. It wasn't 3 quick goals in the 1st and then Toronto kept chipping away gradually. It was a slow, methodical burial and the Leafs appeared to be dead.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Doing it in the last 5 minutes of a game is record book territory.

15 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

When you talk about having 3-0 leads heading into the 3rd, the game should be a lock at that point.

Absolutely agree here!  Columbus just had one of those "one for the ages" utter collapses ......

What does that do to their psyche for Game 5?   They really have to forget it and move on.......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Absolutely agree here!  Columbus just had one of those "one for the ages" utter collapses ......

What does that do to their psyche for Game 5?   They really have to forget it and move on.......

It may in fact be an NHL record. Consider that when Toronto collapsed against Boston (2013), Toronto gave up 3 goals in ~10 minutes in the third period and then went on to lose in OT if I recall correctly. (My memory is intentionally fuzzy.)  :) 

This was a case of Columbus scoring the 3rd goal in a game that they were already leading 2-0, and scoring it around the 15 minute mark of the 3rd period. That's the goal that 99.999999% of the time puts the game to bed. The losing team doesn't even bother to pull their goalie at that point. 

Toronto scored the first of its three goals with their goalie in net I believe. Then Toronto pulled the goalie to score the next two. Scoring two goals with the goalie out in a playoff game is also rare territory. Scoring 3 goals in 5 minutes at the end of the game and going on to win in OT has to be a record or at least a modern day (non 1980's hockey) record. 

• Like 1

Business as usual. Leafs lose in 5.

I think it's time to look at some real personnel changes for this team during the off-season. They need help defensively. Marincin's play was an example of why the Leafs are not a legitimate contender. They're just too easy to play against when they don't have the puck.

I think the Leafs need to see what they can get in a trade for Tavares or Nylander, and it better not be another forward.

This marks a regression in performance and counts as a missed playoff in my books. They lost in the "qualifying" round and therefore did not "qualify" for the playoffs. Thus, it's a step backward from previous seasons.

Enjoy your summer/fall guys. See you next year!   :blowingakiss:

• Like 1

The Leafs did not lose this game, the Jackets won it, pure and simple. The Leafs went big with Tavares/Marner/Matthews out there together for much of the night and every time, EVERY TIME in spite of the Leafs having last change Torts countered with Jones/Werenski.  The two of them played arguably their best game of the year last night, Jenner made Hyman look like a fool on the first goal pressuring Zach forcing a bad blind pass up the boards that Werenski easily intercepted and then fired a shot through a double screen for a goal.  All night was that, The Leafs have more skill, the Jackets outplayed them, outhustled them, wanted it more.

The worst play i have seen in God knows how long was the goal by Liam Foudy. The Leafs got caught in a change, Foudy got the puck down low twenty feet from the net with Marincin between him and Andersen and Marincin....stood there. He didnt pressure the kid, he didnt cut the angle, he literally stood there Foudy finally made a move and on a poor percentage shot made a shot that he might never make again in his life but he only had the chance because Marincin simply froze. Unreal.

Hats off to Korpisalo. Hats off to Torts for making all the right moves throughout the series. Hats off to the CBJ for beating a more skilled team in the postseason. again.

Now bring on Tampa. Ok, just kidding, Tampa is simply going to kill Columbus but at least they beat the Leafs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1