1. 1. (8) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (9) Columbus Blue Jackets

• Leafs Sweep
    • Leafs in 4
    • Leafs in 5
    • Blue Jackets Sweep
    • Blue Jackets in 4
    • Blue Jackets in 5 (WINNER)

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You know the more I think about it, why aren't the Leafs playing against the Panthers or the Canadiens in round one to qualify? 

The bottom eight playoff teams in each conference are playing in a best-of-five series to determine which four teams will advance to the First Round. These games are being played with Stanley Cup playoff overtime rules. Seeding was determined by regular season points percentage...

image.png.8ee502ca6a4126b864841dfa4539b505.png

Games PTS PTS %
Pittsburgh 69 86 0.623
Carolina 68 81 0.596
NY Islanders 68 80 0.588
Toronto 70 81 0.579
Columbus 70 81 0.579
Florida 69 78 0.565
NY Rangers 70 79 0.564
Montreal 71 71 0.500

Toronto is seeded high over Columbus due to having more regulation wins......

For this year only both the NHL and NHLPA voted to adopt this playoff format and doing away with Wildcards.  You asked why Toronto is matched up with Columbus ....there is your answer. (Pitts plays Montreal / Carolina plays NYR / NYI plays Florida / and Toronto plays Columbus)    Its just the way the standing shook out .....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

As another point of inquiry..... do these games count as playoff games or regular season games?

All games being played now are counted as "playoff" games as per the NHL and NHLPA. As @AJgoal mentioned, the regular season is kaput aka finished.

• Like 1

Just now, pilldoc said:

All games being played now are counted as "playoff" games as per the NHL and NHLPA. As @AJgoal mentioned, the regular season is kaput aka finished.

sorry for duplicate information being posted ....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Jackets play a heavy disciplined wear you down style, kind of like Boston

I knew Fonzi would have the Jackets ready. I just didn't think they had the talent. 

I also know that hardwork beats talent....

Also I remember that loaded Monsters team from the AHL they eviscerated my beloved Bears in the Calder finals a few years ago.

Makes sense that the CBJ would continue to be good despite the diaspora of high priced players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Makes sense that the CBJ would continue to be good despite the diaspora of high priced players. 

Another key here is that "skill" players usually require some time to get their timing back.  Hard working, grinder type players can pick up where they left off more easily. If your game is built around speed, puck movement, and precision shooting like the Leafs, then you can't just be 100% at those things after a four month layoff.   :( 

I can't say I'm surprised the Leafs got shutout in their first game back. In essence, they did pick up right where they left off: in the midst of a scoring slump.

It's just disappointing that this team never surprises me. They never rise to the occasion and they never exceed expectations. If you look at the last 25+ years of the Leafs, when was the last time they caught anyone by surprise with their play? They're always right where you expect them to be, both in the standings and in the playoffs. When they run into a higher seed like Boston or Washington, they lose as they're expected to. 

Each time the Leafs go deep into the playoffs, it's with a team that is stacked with great players on paper. When you roll into a conference final with a 100+ point team that includes Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Belfour, etc....... you're doing the expected. You didn't "sneak up" on anybody. If you go deep with a group of castoffs like the Knights did, you're exceeding expectations.

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Each time the Leafs go deep into the playoffs, it's with a team that is stacked with great players on paper.

When was this and what do you call "deep into the playoffs"....the last time they even made to the conference finals was 2001???

Do you just mean pass the first round??? Which hasn't happened since 2003? Or in the overall history??

42 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Another key here is that "skill" players usually require some time to get their timing back.  Hard working, grinder type players can pick up where they left off more easily. If your game is built around speed, puck movement, and precision shooting like the Leafs, then you can't just be 100% at those things after a four month layoff

I think this is a fair point, although it looks an awful lot like an excuse in the making, lol

43 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's just disappointing that this team never surprises me.

If it never surprises you, you should not be disappointed, amirite? What I mean is, you need to align your expectations to their performance. If you do so, you can avoid all that pain. 

44 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If you look at the last 25+ years of the Leafs

Look buddy, I have enough on my plate looking back at the last 25 years of the Flyers! A man can only take so much pain, you know?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I knew Fonzi would have the Jackets ready. I just didn't think they had the talent. 

I also know that hardwork beats talent....

Also I remember that loaded Monsters team from the AHL they eviscerated my beloved Bears in the Calder finals a few years ago.

I LOVE AHL Hockey, i subscribe so i can watch the Griffins play, the wife and i get to Cleveland to watch the Monsters three or four times a year because they are so close to us and because she is a Jackets fan (and therefor when they arent playing my Wings so am i). The AHL from a fan experience going to a game is so much better than the NHL, they are fan friendly, almost grateful that you are there. 

Anyway, we keep track of which teams we have seen, still havent seen your Bears but if there is a next season they are one of only a handful of organizations that we havent seen their AHL club. Not sure how they slipped through the cracks but looking forward to seeing hockey live again someday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think this is a fair point, although it looks an awful lot like an excuse in the making, lol

Always need to have some handy when you're a Leafs fan. Like tissues/toilet paper. :bigteeth:

If it never surprises you, you should not be disappointed, amirite?

I guess I'm surprised to still be getting disappointed after all this time. It's the duration more than anything lol.  :)  

Look buddy, I have enough on my plate looking back at the last 25 years of the Flyers! A man can only take so much pain, you know?

lol.  ;) 

• Like 1

Leafs played a perfect game, simply mauled the Jackets, it truly could have been much worse than the final score indicated. Muzzin going out, we will see what if any impact it has going forward but truthfully if the Leafs skill players come to play every night with this intensity the CBJ will have zero answer. I think early third, possibly late second shots were 25-8 in favor of the Leafs and frankly it wasnt even that close.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Wow. Toronto really "Maple Leaf'd" this game tonight.  I think it should be a new hockey term. The definition is as follows:

"To snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is what it means to Maple Leaf a game."

Could also go with a more precise definition like:

"To give up a 3-goal lead in a playoff game and lose by allowing 4 or more unanswered goals is what it means to Maple Leaf a game."

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Toronto is done in Game 4. They have a lot of skill, but not enough mental or physical toughness. It's more than just not having Muzzin in the lineup because of injury. 

My prediction was a Toronto loss in 5, so I think they trade wins all the way through before Toronto chokes in the final game. I mean, they've already choked in game #3, but I'm curious what they have in store for game #5 to one-up themselves.  

The Leafs like to drag out the series to the maximum number of games before losing. Just watch. They'll play to their maximum ability in game #4, defeat Columbus easily, play well for 40 minutes of game #5, and then stop playing altogether in the third period. 

• Like 1

Here's my predictions:

Game #4:  Toronto wins 5-2.

Game #5:  Toronto is leading 3-2 heading into the third period and gives up 5 unanswered goals to lose 7-3.

Well, you still have the Raptors.

20 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Well, you still have the Raptors.

I hate basketball.  :(

Toronto was a much nicer city before the Raptors got here. I'd trade them for a second hockey team any day. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Like 1

Didn't realize the next game was tonight.  Columbus up 3-0 late in the 3rd.  Series over. 

As far as I'm concerned, this doesn't count as a playoff appearance for Toronto.  They didn't make the top 16 teams, so playoff "streak" ended at 3 seasons is it?

Enjoy the rest of your summer. See you all next year.  :)  

Didn't realize the next game was tonight.  Columbus up 3-0 late in the 3rd.  Series over. 

As far as I'm concerned, this doesn't count as a playoff appearance for Toronto.  They didn't make the top 16 teams, so playoff "streak" ended at 3 seasons is it?

Enjoy the rest of your summer. See you all next year.  :)  

You went to bed to soon and missed an epic collapse!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1