9 members have voted

1. 1. (5) Edmonton Oilers vs. (12) Chicago Blackhawks

• Oilers Sweep
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Blackhawks Sweep
    • Blackhawks in 4 (Winner)
    • Blackhawks in 5

Edmonton finished fifth in the Western Conference with 83 points in 71 games for a points percentage of .585. Chicago gained 72 points in 70 games for a points percentage of .514 to finish twelfth in the Western Conference. This will be the fifth playoff meeting between these two teams, with Edmonton winning three of the four previous series. They last met in the 1992 Clarence Campbell Conference Finals, which Chicago won in a four-game sweep. Chicago won two of the three games in this year's regular season series.

August 1 Chicago Blackhawks   3:00 p.m.   Edmonton Oilers Rogers Place SN, NBC  
August 3 Chicago Blackhawks   10:30 p.m.   Edmonton Oilers Rogers Place SN, SN1, NBCSN  
August 5 Edmonton Oilers   10:30 p.m.   Chicago Blackhawks Rogers Place SN, SN360, NBCSN  
August 7 Edmonton Oilers   TBD   Chicago Blackhawks Rogers Place  
August 8 Chicago Blackhawks   TBD   Edmonton Oilers Rogers Place
Edited by pilldoc

When the NHL paused its season because of COVID on March 12, the Chicago Blackhawks were sitting six points out of a playoff spot with four teams to overcome and just 12 games remaining. That’s dead-in-the-water territory right there. Any resemblance between these Blackhawks and the team that won multiple Stanley Cups leading up to 2015 is purely coincidental. The Blackhawks essentially admitted as much when they were significant sellers at the trade deadline, dealing defenseman Erik Gustafsson to the Calgary Flames and goalie Robin Lehner to the Vegas Golden Knights for picks and prospects. If the Blackhawks had any inkling they’d be in the playoffs, they likely would not have dealt Lehner. It’s a move that’s come back to haunt them.

I really don't think this series is close at all.......two words...McDavid and Draisaitl.

The Hawks steal one game but that is it ....Oilers in 4

• Like 1

It's a short series, and if Kane comes out and absolutely rips it up, Chicago could win. Realistically though, for them to have a chance, Corey Crawford has to play, because as of right now Malcolm Subban is the starter. The Hawks are an awful team, defensively, and it's difficult to see him standing up very well to McDavid/Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl/Yamamoto.

And, no matter if Crawford plays, if the Hawks take a lot of penalties, then it's all done. The 2020 Oilers have a ridiculous power-play, leading the league by almost 5% over 2nd place Boston.

News of note: so far as yet, it would seem that young defenseman Phillip Broberg is, day-by-day, playing himself on to the roster, moving past several players on the depth chart.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/philip-broberg-earned-invitation-stay-oilers-summer/

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

whoa!!!  4-1 Blackhawks ....WTH..... ?????  Smith being hung out to dry.

6-2. Hope the Hawks can keep this up in the short series.  

25 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

6-2. Hope the Hawks can keep this up in the short series.

Edmonton looking for a goalie in the off season? ... Holtby to Edm as a free agent with the rise of Samsonov in Wash?

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

lol...

Literally everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Always nice to wait about 5 months for a game like this.

In a 7 game series you chalk it up to a bad game realizing you have 6 more potential games...

In a short series this could potentially hurt the Oilers psyche. Obviously game 2 is a must win for the Oilers...

Edm needs to purge this game from their collective memories.... 

Edited by pilldoc

On 7/22/2020 at 3:36 PM, yave1964 said:

Edmonton in 4, Oilers have been solid all year while the Hawks have been consistently inconsistent. McDavid versus Toews will be must see TV.

okay, i get a LOT wrong but for one game anyway this may be my best prediction of the year, lol

• Like 1

Can't tell if the Oil suck or if it's just the goalie.

The Hawks are not deep or that good and they ****** rolled that Oilers team yesterday.

so what gives? I guess, Drasiatle and McJesus can't play 50 minutes a night.

weird result, but watching the play it was just.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Can't tell if the Oil suck or if it's just the goalie.

The Hawks are not deep or that good and they ****** rolled that Oilers team yesterday.

so what gives? I guess, Drasiatle and McJesus can't play 50 minutes a night.

weird result, but watching the play it was just.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It has a lot to do with it but it's not the only reason....but 80% of it i think....

I mean, jeez... When the season wrapped up, they had the 12th highest Pts%, and the  8th-best Regulation Pts%. They're not a great team, but they obviously don't suck. I don't know the rest of the series will go: Chicago could roll on like this or Edmonton could do the same thing to them and win the series, but in any one game, even terrible teams can put a whooping on a much better team. It happens; we've all seen it.

The major items:

-Mike Smith was bad, and the game changed immediately when he let in that stinker that was 100% on him over-handling the puck and making such a weak play with it.

-Coach Tippett messed up by starting Smith and then leaving him in after the 3rd goal, when it was clear as day he needed to come out.

-97's line had a great night with the bat and a bad one with the glove.

-Chicago played a very good game at evens and were gifted 3 PP goals by one of the league's usually-best PK units.

Also:

-Watching Andreas Athanasiou, it's hard to believe he's scored 15 goals in an NHL season, let alone 30. Looks completely lost out there. At this point, two 2nd-rounder is looking like a great trade for DET.

-Klefbom/Larsson were awful, looked indecisive and slow. Nurse/Bear are better, and should be the top pairing.

-Kassian is poor defensively, and Nugent-Hopkins is very responsible, and McDavid often cheats for offense. Old Dutch needs a 1RW who remembers that there are two nets on the ice.

-I wouldn't mind seeing Nugent-Hopkins moving back to the Drasaitl/Yamamoto line. They were a hot-sh|t trio.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

They're not a great team, but they obviously don't suck.

I don't think that and wasn't trying to say they suck. I still have them in 5....what we all don't know is how much rust is still on all these clubs....early it could come down to which team is in the best conditions all i really watched of it was the highlights.

And i am not  huge fan of Mike Smith. 

3 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Chicago pull ahead after a win in an entertaining match. The oilers shouldn't be having that much difficulty getting the wins

They're doing it to themselves. In every game, even game 2, which they won handily, the Oilers took FAR too many penalties. Last night, a better opponent would have put that game out of reach in the 2nd period.

On 8/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, JR Ewing said:

I mean, jeez... When the season wrapped up, they had the 12th highest Pts%, and the  8th-best Regulation Pts%. They're not a great team, but they obviously don't suck.

I didn't watch last night. 

I wasn't expecting the Oil's defense to look like, uh, that. Disorganized maybe limited cognitive function ? I don't get to see them much so I was surprised they weren't *better than what I saw in game. 1. Obviously there are other known issues that are resolving?

I thought Chicago was terrible just like I thought Montreal was terrible so these results are surprising. 

Edited by mojo1917

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I didn't watch last night. 

I wasn't expecting the Oil's defense to look like, uh, that. Disorganized maybe limited cognitive function ? I don't get to see them much so I was surprised they weren't *better than what I saw in game. 1. Obviously there are other known issues that are resolving?

I thought Chicago was terrible just like I thought Montreal was terrible so these results are surprising. 

Chicago has played alright, and the Oilers defense definitely tightened up after game one. The problem has been that Edmonton continually puts itself in a position where they have to kill of 6 or 7 PP per game. Tough to win like that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Chicago has played alright, and the Oilers defense definitely tightened up after game one. The problem has been that Edmonton continually puts itself in a position where they have to kill of 6 or 7 PP per game. Tough to win like that.

Was there a penalty called on Dach on the charging call on Ennis??

Damn he took like four or five huge strides before hitting him yeah i know he turned at the last moment but it still should have been charging right???

I never got back to the game after that had to help the wife is why i am asking is all.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Was there a penalty called on Dach on the charging call on Ennis??

Damn he took like four or five huge strides before hitting him yeah i know he turned at the last moment but it still should have been charging right???

I never got back to the game after that had to help the wife is why i am asking is all.

There was no penalty on the play. I don't like to bitch about referees because

a) That's all we'd probably ever do as fans, and

b) It never gets better.

That said, I thought the refs weren't great last night. They blew the whistle on some pretty iffy Oilers plays and swallowed the whistle with instances like the Dach hit on Ennis. The Oilers did a poor job of adjusting to refs, but the refs weren't great, all the same.