Flyers Sign Lindblom to 3 Year, $9 Million Contract

Howie58

This is goddamned outrageous, what a gross over payment.

The dude didn't even play like half the season. sheesh.

3 million a year for 12 goals? 12 goals?!?!?!?

Fire everyone 

Fletcher sucks!

Haha no. That's not what I think, I am glad the team I cheer for did the right thing by one of their players, I hope Oscar is clowning defensemen in the corners soon.

He's one of my favorite young players on the team, teen girl mojo thought he was "cute until he shaved his head". 

His recovery has been one of the few bright spots in what has been a terrible year.

I applaud this signing and hope in 3 years our team can pay him more because he's earned it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I read a piece that quoted Fletcher as saying he hoped this is the lowest paid contract he signs with the team.  That's a cool thing for the GM to say.

Bigger picture, I wonder what this means for other re-signings.  The cap is apparently flat with some degree of revisiting. He was going to be signed as an RFA.  But doing this so early, medical prognosis aside, tells me some other decisions have been made.  Braun and maybe even Grant come to mind, even though I see him as a bargain.  

Well, let's see what happens in Toronto.  

26 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I read a piece that quoted Fletcher as saying he hoped this is the lowest paid contract he signs with the team.  That's a cool thing for the GM to say.

Bigger picture, I wonder what this means for other re-signings.  The cap is apparently flat with some degree of revisiting. He was going to be signed as an RFA.  But doing this so early, medical prognosis aside, tells me some other decisions have been made.  Braun and maybe even Grant come to mind, even though I see him as a bargain.  

Well, let's see what happens in Toronto.  

I really don't see how they can bring back more than one of the FAs. They still have Myers, Patrick, and NAK on the RFA front, though none of them should be particularly expensive. Myers probably will come with the highest price tag at this point. They also have Hagg, and I have no idea how they'll go there.

The good news is that signing those guys to contracts that make sense (assuming Patrick gets a "show me" deal to prove he's healthy and let him go after a real paycheck after next season), they'll only have about 3 million for a backup goalie and a 13th forward (I'm assuming Friedman or Morin comes in as the #7). That would seem to rule out bringing back Grant or Pitlick, and may even force them into using another Phantom in the 13th forward role. Of course, they could sell high on Laughton to recoup some space, but I don't know if they'd value that more than his role on the team.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Of course, they could sell high on Laughton to recoup some space

They are going to move Ghost to free up space.

I'm not hating on Ghost but someone has to go.

I don't Braun will be back. 

And yes possibly only one of Pitlick, Thompson or Grant will be back.

I haven't crunch any numbers I think it shakes out like this.

Thompson, Braun and Ghost will be playing elsewhere.

Ghost with 3 years left at 4.5 per is very movable the Flyers just can't afford to pay him 4.5 mill to be a 7th D man.

I'm not saying this lines below are concrete just somewhere close.

And I'm not saying Lyon should be the backup but they may trim the budget with the backup.

Unless Elliott wants to sign for a friendly deal.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek

JVR- Hayes-TK

Farabee-Laughton-NAK

Raffl-Grant-Pitlick

Bunnaman

Provorov-Niskanen

Sanheim-Myers 

Hagg-Friedman

Morin 

Hart

Lyon

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I won't argue whether they will or won't, but I think that it's a bad move. Especially since he seems to be impressing after the two surgeries. It's entirely possible that the knee issues were what had been the problem with him. Seems a huge opportunity to sell low and kick yourself for it.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really. You have either Frost or Patrick for 3C. Patrick can't really command much money given the slow starts his first two seasons and the health uncertainty, and Frost is still on his ELC. The other young guys you have to pay haven't really put up "pay me" numbers, so they should all be pretty cheap. That really means all you need is a backup goalie and a forward to fetch popcorn. Neither of those should break the bank. Unless you want to go out and go after a guy like Boeser, I just don't see the need to ship out salary - if Lindblom is actually healthy, the top 9 is set, as is the top 4. So the question is whether you prefer Ghost in your 3rd pair, or if you want to put the cash into your 3RW and push Farabee somewhere else. I honestly don't see what you gain by moving Ghost at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ghost with 3 years left at 4.5 per is very movable the Flyers just can't afford to pay him 4.5 mill to be a 7th D man.

No team can afford to pay $4.5M to their 7th D.  Even if he would be a 5th or 6th D on another team, I don't see anyone giving up more than a 3rd for Ghost at this point. I would take that because I don't see him ever equaling his 1st or 3rd seasons again.

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

No team can afford to pay $4.5M to their 7th D.  Even if he would be a 5th or 6th D on another team, I don't see anyone giving up more than a 3rd for Ghost at this point. I would take that because I don't see him ever equaling his 1st or 3rd seasons again.

My gut says a trade would be for pick plus prospect or multiple picks.  The taker would have be gambling on his return to form.  Think what NJ did with Subban...OMG.  Agreed that he is an overpriced 3rd pair unless he is put on PP unit that really clicks.  This is a tough call. We may need another full season to figure this out.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't Braun will be back. 

And yes possibly only one of Pitlick, Thompson or Grant will be back.

I haven't crunch any numbers I think it shakes out like this.

Thompson, Braun and Ghost will be playing elsewhere.

I'm not saying this lines below are concrete just somewhere close.

And I'm not saying Lyon should be the backup but they may trim the budget with the backup.

Unless Elliott wants to sign for a friendly deal.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek

JVR- Hayes-TK

Farabee-Laughton-NAK

Raffl-Grant-Pitlick

Bunnaman

Provorov-Niskanen

Sanheim-Myers 

Hagg-Friedman

Morin 

Hart

Lyon

Thanks for reminding us about Morin.  This will be the final chapter of his ongoing "project" status.  It is up or out.  On goal, the question I might have with Elliott isn't salary as much as durability.  We lucked out this year...he was healthy.  Will that be the case next year?  We get a possible glimpse in the playoffs.  I have no problem staying in the system with a backup.  Lyon may have it.  I don't know much about the UFA goalie market, but I'd just as soon put the money elsewhere.  One more point on the backup...AV has made it clear the days of a Brodeur doing 60+ games are over.  I think the backup needs to be capable for 25+ games.  Moose may not cut the mustard for a long stretch.  

Edited by Howie58

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I won't argue whether they will or won't, but I think that it's a bad move. Especially since he seems to be impressing after the two surgeries. It's entirely possible that the knee issues were what had been the problem with him. Seems a huge opportunity to sell low and kick yourself for it.

Not really. You have either Frost or Patrick for 3C. Patrick can't really command much money given the slow starts his first two seasons and the health uncertainty, and Frost is still on his ELC. The other young guys you have to pay haven't really put up "pay me" numbers, so they should all be pretty cheap. That really means all you need is a backup goalie and a forward to fetch popcorn. Neither of those should break the bank. Unless you want to go out and go after a guy like Boeser, I just don't see the need to ship out salary - if Lindblom is actually healthy, the top 9 is set, as is the top 4. So the question is whether you prefer Ghost in your 3rd pair, or if you want to put the cash into your 3RW and push Farabee somewhere else. I honestly don't see what you gain by moving Ghost at this point. 

I agree. I hope it doesn't come to moving Ghost i have a soft spot for him since he is home grown and seems to have been battling the injury bug last year or two.

And i certainly don't want to sell low on him. Maybe Fletch can find a way to keep some of these pieces.

I'm ok seeing if Frost or Rubtsov can win a spt at center however i do like Pitlick and Grant game but at the right price.

Guess we'll see in a few months and these playoffs could change some views too.

5 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I can see that too. I'm torn on him. I hope he can have a very good playoffs and change our minds.

But at the end of the day i think they have Friedman penciled into the 6th or 7th slot and he is priced very well for that role for the next two years and then well we have the what to do about Hagg too???

It just seems the front office seems to be higher on Hagg than Ghost and i could be wrong about that but the playoff run may be Ghost's last chance to show them he fits in still here.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree. I hope it doesn't come to moving Ghost i have a soft spot for him since he is home grown and seems to have been battling the injury bug last year or two.

And i certainly don't want to sell low on him. Maybe Fletch can find a way to keep some of these pieces.

I'm ok seeing if Frost or Rubtsov can win a spt at center however i do like Pitlick and Grant game but at the right price.

Guess we'll see in a few months and these playoffs could change some views too.

The fact that you likely won't need to pay a big price for any of your RFAs makes Ghost a luxury you can actually afford. If he rebounds, great. If he doesn't, you can still sell low on him. But there's very little to lose going into next year with him as an option for the third pair. The only thing I can think of that might "force" a move is if they want a veteran RH defenseman for the third pair. But either Ghost or Hagg could be the vet on the left, with Friedman on the right. So it would seem unnecessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ghost likely needs to be dealt solely for the fact they'd probably lose him for nothing in the expansion draft.

And then they lose someone else. The Flyers are going to lose a good player in expansion. They shouldn't live in fear of that fact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ghost likely needs to be dealt solely for the fact they'd probably lose him for nothing in the expansion draft.

Given the fact that the front office in Seattle seems to be heavy on analytics, Ghost, JVR, or Jake are all strong possibilities if left exposed.

I was thinking: While it's awesome that it looks like he'll play again, it kinda sucks that Oskar may come back to an empty arena, either this postseason or next year. I wonder, with them piping in crowd noise, how feasible would it be to get Flyers fans all over the world to record ten seconds of a cheer or chanting his name, and combining them all together to play in the arena the first time he steps on the ice? Would it be cool, or lame? How could one even organize it?

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He's due to fly to Toronto from Sweden tomorrow, then he needs to quarantine for several days (daily tests) before he can join the team.

Great to hear. Can't wait. He can replace JVR in the lineup who hasn't done squat anyways.

I hope they can move on from JVR before the start of next year there just is no room for a 7 million dollar floater...

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 38 Derek Grant - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
21 Scott Laughton - 48 Morgan Frost - 12 Michael Raffl

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

82 Connor Bunnaman

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

59 Mark Friedman 55 Sam Morin

79 Carter Hart

37 Brian Elliott

I think this may be the lineup to start next year....i'm going with only Grant being brought back and when ready Frost can bump him to the 4th.

And i'm holding out hope for Sammy.